Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Surely Ireland can rent some prisons in Siberia? Pay Russia an annual fee to house the prisioners and for all that russian hospitality....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AulWan wrote: »
    Phone battery died? Or no signal?

Its not wildly outside the realms of possibility.

Do all of you always take a phone out with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Graces7 wrote: »
    Do all of you always take a phone out with you?
    Yes, I do, but more than once I've been rushing out the door to work and have left my phone behind me on the kitchen table or counter.

Last week I had already on my way home from work when I realised I had left my phone on my desk and had to turn around and go back for it or I would have been without it for the whole weekend.

I don't like driving without knowng my phone is in my bag in case of breakdown.

Yes, I do, but more than once I've been rushing out the door to work and have left my phone behind me on the kitchen table or counter.

Last week I had already on my way home from work when I realised I had left my phone on my desk and had to turn around and go back for it or I would have been without it for the whole weekend.

I don't like driving without my phone in case of breakdown.

I am fairly new to mobile phones; when I was still driving and going out I tended to take one with me but now when I walk etc? NB I have 2 Tesco cheap phones as when I was without ESB for months one was always being recharged by a neighbour. One cost E10 the other under E20! Pay as you go.

But never take one when I am eg to the shore. Just is a habit I am not used to so calling in somewhere for help?

And the elderly man in the case that started this thread?

He took a life, and while I believe there should be consequences for that, I wouldn't want him to be executed for it.

Be careful what you wish for.

If killing is wrong - then killing is wrong. Whoever does it.

and this was clearly some kind of self defence ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Thats a good start but I`ll improve on that

1. Return of capital punishment. If you take someones life you lose the right to keep your own
    2. Return of corporal punishment. 50 lashes on a bare body in a cold wet yard would make someone think before they committed burglary or larceny next time.
    3. Compulsory military service for the youth of today both male and female
    4. Empty the prisons, chain the inmates together and make them break rocks on the road for all the bypasses currently being planned.

1. George Stinney JR and the countless other innocent people who
    2. Another dumb idea.
    3. Are you willing to pay for that? It's certainly not free.
    4. Inline with ideas 1 and 2.

And the elderly man in the case that started this thread?

He took a life, and while I believe there should be consequences for that, I wouldn't want him to be executed for it.

Be careful what you wish for.

If killing is wrong - then killing is wrong. Whoever does it.

This wasn't self defence. His neighbour wasn't there to do him harm. He brought a weapon into the situation, then pointed it at a person (which we've since learned is a crime in itself) and shot at him. But this has all been debated already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Phone battery died? Or no signal?

Its not wildly outside the realms of possibility.

Definitely, phone reception is a nightmare where I'm from

• Registered Users Posts: 54,959 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe in the killers mind it was.....doesn't make it so...

Being afraid, if that's what he was, doesn't mean he acted in self defence...

I am fairly new to mobile phones; when I was still driving and going out I tended to take one with me but now when I walk etc? NB I have 2 Tesco cheap phones as when I was without ESB for months one was always being recharged by a neighbour. One cost E10 the other under E20! Pay as you go.

But never take one when I am eg to the shore. Just is a habit I am not used to so calling in somewhere for help?

I got my first mobile phone when I had my first baby - circa 1995? It was 088 only, and was the size and weight of a brick. I've had one ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you run a business or a farm you're going to need a phone. There are hundreds of very very useful apps for livestock feeding, bar code/ tag reading, slurry spreading/ crop spraying with GPS mapping etc... and a farmers going to be in contact with their families and suppliers and in case of emergency.

As idyllic as it seems not having a phone, it's a necessity for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Why would you shoot a dead neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

degsie wrote: »

a. If you didn't like them and wanted them dead enough to do it.
    b. Did it in self-defence.
    c. Accidental discharge.
    d. Loss of all logic and reason.

I'm guessing the auld guy is somewhere in between b, c and d. But that's a guess because I wasn't there.

This wasn't self defence. His neighbour wasn't there to do him harm. He brought a weapon into the situation, then pointed it at a person (which we've since learned is a crime in itself) and shot at him. But this has all been debated already.

That is not how he saw it and remember his advanced age. We may never know the subjective reality and truth of it, only the objective ideas.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If you run a business or a farm you're going to need a phone. There are hundreds of very very useful apps for livestock feeding, bar code/ tag reading, slurry spreading/ crop spraying with GPS mapping etc... and a farmers going to be in contact with their families and suppliers and in case of emergency.

As idyllic as it seems not having a phone, it's a necessity for business.

Interesting idea! That being without a phone is idyllic?

When I was young, no one had house phones. We would walk to the corner phone box if we needed a phone. Hardly anyone had phones. We did fine.

Did not have a house phone ( only landline then) until I was over 40

app? Never had them even now. I have a simple cell phone for yes emergency, to book the ferry etc, small practical things, but it is never turned on for incoming calls. Just a cell phone; no other functions than calls.
    And the laptop
    But not so long ago farmers did fine with no phones.

And I think we saw more of each other, friends, neighbours etc than folk do now

It is what you are used to and your perceptions of need. And I am veeeeeeeery old. ;)

BattleCorp wrote: »
    a. If you didn't like them and wanted them dead enough to do it.
    b. Did it in self-defence.
    c. Accidental discharge.
    d. Loss of all logic and reason.

I'm guessing the auld guy is somewhere in between b, c and d. But that's a guess because I wasn't there.

Hope someone is looking our for him. Rarely regret not having a car.

That is not how he saw it and remember his advanced age. We may never know the subjective reality and truth of it, only the objective ideas.

I'm sorry Grace, but age is not an excuse. Its just not.

At what age are you allowed to be above the law?

I'm not trawling back through all the pages of posts to find it, but one poster posted that in this country, pointing a gun at someone - even an unloaded gun - is in itself an offence. Also that gun licences are not issued here for personal protection - in fact if protection is given as a reason for applying for a licence then the application it will be denied. If you are found to point a weapon at someone, the weapon will be confiscated.

It remains now to see if/what charges will be brought against him. But charges SHOULD be brought. He did, after all, kill a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Thats a good start but I`ll improve on that

1. Return of capital punishment. If you take someones life you lose the right to keep your own
    2. Return of corporal punishment. 50 lashes on a bare body in a cold wet yard would make someone think before they committed burglary or larceny next time.
    3. Compulsory military service for the youth of today both male and female
    4. Empty the prisons, chain the inmates together and make them break rocks on the road for all the bypasses currently being planned.

1. Ridiculous. Innocent people will die.
    2. Ya i'll go for that.
    3. No way Jose. You want to fight for some military and be used as cannon fodder you go right ahead. Granted the Irish army isn't cannon fodder but i still ain't joining up to be told what to do all the time. Get ******
    4. Nonsense. All it will do is take away jobs from working people.

degsie wrote: »

To be doubly sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Interesting idea! That being without a phone is idyllic?

When I was young, no one had house phones. We would walk to the corner phone box if we needed a phone. Hardly anyone had phones. We did fine.

Did not have a house phone ( only landline then) until I was over 40

app? Never had them even now. I have a simple cell phone for yes emergency, to book the ferry etc, small practical things, but it is never turned on for incoming calls. Just a cell phone; no other functions than calls.
    And the laptop
    But not so long ago farmers did fine with no phones.

And I think we saw more of each other, friends, neighbours etc than folk do now

It is what you are used to and your perceptions of need. And I am veeeeeeeery old. ;)

Farming has moved with technology. It always had and it alway will. The modern tractor along with the phone are necessary for farmers and the phone for people running business.

With all due respect, your anecdotes are fascinating and your imagined low dependency on phones, people, cars, help etc are admirable this is a thread about a man that lost his life because of another mans paranoia.

I can read your blog if I'm interested!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone mentioned to me today he is in the early stages of dementia, it's a major slip up if it was known he had a gun and his condition was not reported to the relevant authorities.

Someone mentioned to me today he is in the early stages of dementia, it's a major slip up if it was known he had a gun and his condition was not reported to the relevant authorities.
    My mother has dementia. She was diagnosed about 4 years ago and is now classed as moderate.

In the early stages, you wouldn't even necessarily notice that someone had it. You'd just think they were getting a bit forgetful.

My mother has dementia. She was diagnosed about 4 years ago and is now classed as moderate.

In the early stages, you wouldn't even necessarily notice that someone had it. You'd just think they were getting a bit forgetful.

That would explain why he still had the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

100% correct. The gardai and government have failed rural communities ant incidents like this are the result.

I'll have to correct you there, the Gardai and Govt have failed us all,
    Whatever of the Govt, you'd think the Gardai could see sense, I was refused to be allowed to make a statement about a serious threat and ongoing anti social behaviour, went to a solicitor, discovered what occured is technically assault.
    The Gardai are either lazy, incompetent or just dont care.

My own opinion is they dont want added reports in the records as that may not appear to look good/they will have to do something about it, and will trot out the we dont have enough manpower, where reports ie Data would highlight more personnel are needed.

Portsalon wrote: »
    The nearest Garda stations to this tragedy are Knock (2½ km) and Ballyhaunis (5 km). Literally light years away :rolleyes:

Is it manned all the time? will they even respond? if they do respond, will they actually do anything?

I cannot understand how it has not come to the point where people will police for themselves on a greater scale, large swathes of the population are left to fend for themselves, what occured here appears unfortunate and a consequence of the fact that people know it is the case, ie they are on their own, perhaps if that old man wasnt in fear of being beaten to a pulp with a crow bar and the sort that do it are known to be locked up for a long time then this would not occur.

Failed by the state, failed by the gardai, not just the old, nor rural areas, all of us.

ollkiller wrote: »
    1. Ridiculous. Innocent people will die.
    2. Ya i'll go for that.
    3. No way Jose. You want to fight for some military and be used as cannon fodder you go right ahead. Granted the Irish army isn't cannon fodder but i still ain't joining up to be told what to do all the time. Get ******
    4. Nonsense. All it will do is take away jobs from working people.

I see compulsory military service being bandied about alot. It didn't work with the Krays etc in England when in place, all it potentially does is make a person who is inclined to commit violent crimesmore proficient in the use of weapons etc.

I agree with you. but in a small community who would report it? Or believe he could be a danger? he was maybe not seeing a dr even?

I'm sorry Grace, but age is not an excuse. Its just not.

At what age are you allowed to be above the law?

I'm not trawling back through all the pages of posts to find it, but one poster posted that in this country, pointing a gun at someone - even an unloaded gun - is in itself an offence. Also that gun licences are not issued here for personal protection - in fact if protection is given as a reason for applying for a licence then the application it will be denied. If you are found to point a weapon at someone, the weapon will be confiscated.

It remains now to see if/what charges will be brought against him. But charges SHOULD be brought. He did, after all, kill a man.

I did not say it was an excuse. A reason yes. ! Huge difference. and I nowhere excused him or his actions.

That would explain why he still had the gun.

I was surprised to read that when applying for a gun licence, all you need to give is a brief medical history and provide a doctor's name, no actual medical or psychiatric reports are required.

I doubt many with an out-of-date or refused renewal of a licence would surrender their weapon anyway.

I wonder if whomever issues licences inform the local Garda stations when someone's licence is revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I was surprised to read that when applying for a gun licence, all you need to give is a brief medical history and provide a doctor's name, no actual medical or psychiatric reports are required.

I doubt many with an out-of-date or refused renewal of a licence would surrender their weapon anyway.

I wonder if whomever issues licences inform the local Garda stations when someone's licence is revoked.

The Gardai can be cute enough when they want. I know of an altercation between 2 individuals in a rural area. Nothing more than a shouting match. One a permanent resident the other in a short term letting and who was known to the Gardai. The incident was reported and they came out and spoke to both individuals.
    Later that day they returned to the permanent resident after discovering he had a licenced shotgun for hunting with the local gun club. They asked for the shotgun and told yer man he'd only get it back if there was no more trouble and only when the other lad had left the area. The gun was returned when the Gardai were satisfied that the troublemaker was gone from the area.

• Advertisement

A relation of my own (now deceased) who was in his 80s at the time pointed a shotgun at his son in law during an argument, the Guards were called and seized the gun.

He was sent away for treatment but never got the gun back.

Personally I think when a person reaches a certain age they should no longer be allowed to have a gun in the house, age catches up with everyone and it could prevent something like this happeneing again.

Advertisement