Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, I am......

I am broadening the scope....

The only way any of us can give a real educated analysis is for a clear reconstruction of the events, with the perpetrator being fully honest with his account...

But I doubt, if he was say angry and up for it, that he'd admit it...

Likely he tells a story of being petrified, going out to confront and defend and then accidentally shooting the person...

The "beauty" of this for him, is that he was the only one there.....dead men tell no tales..

Wow you're a real armchair detective aren't you, maybe the guards should let you take over the case since to seem to have it all worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wow you're a real armchair detective aren't you, maybe the guards should let you take over the case since to seem to have it all worked out.

Not really with you, pal.

I am offering up stories.....I can't know the truth...

Only the man who killed the other man really knows the truth. I thought this would have been obvious, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Its no more unreasonable to consider that he may have react out of anger, then it is to assume he reacted out of fear.

It just doesn't fit the "poor terrified old man" picture being painted.

And like has been said, no witnesses.

Only the man who killed the other man really knows the truth. I thought this would have been obvious, no?

Oh yes it's obvious to me all right which is why unlike you I'm not putting wild ideas out there about what may or may not have happened.

Hope that clears things up PAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Oh yes it's obvious to me all right which is why unlike you I'm not putting wild ideas out there about what may or may not have happened.

Hope that clears things up PAL.

What is obvious to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

J Mysterio wrote: »
    There are guards about for the urban folk... and neighbours.

Well what do you expect? Of course there's guards in urban areas, that's why people live there. They avail of the amenities and services.

But don't forget urban people are still more likely to get burgled than rural people. Yet the hysteria and hype around the relatively low level rural crime has people literally up in arms.

There are less police in rural areas all over the world. Rural Ireland in particular is very hard to police because of the nature of rural housing and local reluctance to support and populate the rural villages and towns.

What is obvious to you?

What you just said there, that's why I'm waiting until the full story comes out.

AulWan wrote: »
    Its no more unreasonable to consider that he may have react out of anger, then it is to assume he reacted out of fear.

It just doesn't fit the "poor terrified old man" picture being painted.

And like has been said, no witnesses.

What's your basis for suggesting he was acting out of anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Sounds like paranoia.

Why don`t you try rural living for a while. Perhaps you might not be so sanctimonious with your comments. You have no idea how petrifying it is to hear a car or footsteps outside late at night knowing there is no one you would expect to arrive unannounced. I`m in bed wide awake, what do I do, get up and confront them, stay still and hope they go away, there could be 2,3 or 4 of them.

What's your basis for suggesting he was acting out of anger?

I didn't suggest he was acting out of anger. I said it was possible he acted out of anger, and not fear.

My basis for that is I have known more then one tough aul lad who were still forces to be reckoned with, even in their 70s and 80s.

Not every pensioner is as fragile and petrified as is being painted here.

• Advertisement

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Why don`t you try rural living for a while. Perhaps you might not be so sanctimonious with your comments. You have no idea how petrifying it is to hear a car or footsteps outside late at night knowing there is no one you would expect to arrive unannounced. I`m in bed wide awake, what do I do, get up and confront them, stay still and hope they go away, there could be 2,3 or 4 of them.

You don't have to live in a rural area to experience this. The same could apply to any pensioner living alone in a suburb of Dublin, Cork or Galway.

This is where you're coming across as the sanctimonious one.

Edited to add - this "you should try living rural" really pisses me off.

I'm a 50+ year old woman. I have adult children but a couple of nights a week I am alone in the house. On those evenings, I have my alarm turned on as soon as I get in from work, my external doors locked, and I keep the back garden security light on in case anyone attempts to come over the back wall (has happened before) and let the dogs sleep in my bedroom with me.

If someone came to the door, I'd call out first to find out who was there, and I'd only answer if I knew the caller. That is in a mid terrace house in Dublin. I wouldn't open my door, and go out in the dark with a shotgun and blow someone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm probably going to say something controversial, but deep breath!

Is it really feasible for elderly people to live alone so remote from anyone anymore? I know, I know, no one wants to leave the land or the family homestead, but surely living in the nearest town, with neighbours next door to give a bit of assistance would be far better than being scared out of your wits in the middle of nowhere.

Moving to a town would also help social isolation. But I do realise that many rural folk are not mad about towns and townies. I dunno, was just thinking out loud.

OK if you are a farmer and live in the farmhouse, that's what rural living is all about, but there are many out there who have lost all their relatives, the land is let out and they are stuck in isolation. Hope you understand where I am coming from, and I realise it is an emotive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Drifter50 wrote: »

Are you not reading the posts Drifter? You're less likely to be burgled in a rural area than in an urban area. Yet you're in bed, wide awake and "petrified" when you hear regular human activities like cars...

Of course you don't "confront" people, leave them be. Talk to a home security company, secure your property, make it safe or face the fact that rural living simply isn't for you.

Here's a link to a well renowned security company.

https://www.securigard.ie/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sZLHU0MguLGn7RYP82BfAUoI_55JWPNETX--SN4O48kxrV3LVG5CTRoCHk0QAvD_BwE

Here's a link for grants if you're elderly.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/crime_and_crime_prevention/seniors_alert.html

Sleep well.

Edit... if you're on a farm I appreciate how hard it is to secure sheds, the yard and various outhouses with expensive machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

if living rurally forced this man to shoot through his door at his neighbour, then the man should either not be living rurally or not have access to firearms

I'm mid-40s, live in a very rural area, just myself and partner, we're in bed by 10 p.m. every night during the week because of working early in Limerick city during the week, a commute of about 45 to 60 minutes. The majority of our neighbours are elderly, rural crime is ramant around here, especially in the past 10 years. We have a double barrel shot gun in our bedroom and either of us would have no problem firing it if needs be.

GoneHome wrote: »
    I'm mid-40s, live in a very rural area, just myself and partner, we're in bed by 10 p.m. every night during the week because of working early in Limerick city during the week, a commute of about 45 to 60 minutes. The majority of our neighbours are elderly, rural crime is ramant around here, especially in the past 10 years. We have a double barrel shot gun in our bedroom and either of us would have no problem firing it if needs be.

What constitutes "if needs be".

What constitutes "if needs be".

Mother of god, if needs be means if there is someone in our yard posing a threat to us our or property

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What is the official story so far?

I have only heard bits and pieces but from what I gather the deceased visited his neighbour at midnight and was shot. I have also heard that they were good friends and that he visited so late because he was coming from a protest.

JJayoo wrote: »
    What is the official story so far?

I have only heard bits and pieces but from what I gather the deceased visited his neighbour at midnight and was shot. I have also heard that they were good friends and that he visited so late because he was coming from a protest.

I don't know the full story but it seems the 85 year old man was asleep in his bed when his neighbour decided to call to his house at 12 midnight, dog started barking outside, security lights went on, the man got his gun thinking it was an intrudor in his yard, saw a man heading towards his door and fired a shot. What the neighbour was doing calling at that hour of the night is the baffling part of the story.

Mother of god, if needs be means if there is someone in our yard posing a threat to us our or property

Define "posing a threat".

Specifically, define posing a threat that is worth taking someone's life for.

Is just being in your yard enough for you to start shooting?

Define "posing a threat".

Specifically, define posing a threat that is worth taking someone's life for.

We live in a very rural part of the countryside, plagued, and I mean plagued by the ethnic minority, I would have absolutely no hesitation in firing a shot in their direction if needed. Essentially posing a threat means if they came withing 100 metres of our property.

• Advertisement

I don't know the full story but it seems the 85 year old man was asleep in his bed when his neighbour decided to call to his house at 12 midnight, dog started barking outside, security lights went on, the man got his gun thinking it was an intrudor in his yard, saw a man heading towards his door and fired a shot. What the neighbour was doing calling at that hour of the night is the baffling part of the story.

It was posted earlier on the thread by someone who said they were local that the deceased man had visited earlier, and left to go to a protest. He forgot his phone, and called in on his way home from the protest to pick it up.

I don't know if that has been verified but it sounds plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

J Mysterio wrote: »
    There are guards about for the urban folk... and neighbours.

Are there? On the two occasions I've had to call the Gardai in Tallaght they showed up 4-5 hours later, and not at all, respectively...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If anyone comes on to your rural property after nightfall uninvited and unannounced they should expect to be shot, such is the way 'cultural people' have left us.

If anyone comes on to your rural property after nightfall uninvited and unannounced they should expect to be shot, such is the way 'cultural people' have left us.

No, such is the way the "ethnic minority" have left us in rural Ireland

We live in a very rural part of the countryside, plagued, and I mean plagued by the ethnic minority, I would have absolutely no hesitation in firing a shot in their direction if needed. Essentially posing a threat means if they came withing 100 metres of our property.

There you have it, folks.

No hesitation if someone comes within 100 metres of their property. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Not even ON the property mind you, just within 100 metres of it. Thats the full lenght of two swimming pools.

There you have it, folks.

No hesitation if someone comes within 100 metres of their property. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Not even ON the property mind you, just within 100 metres of it. Thats the full lenght of two swimming pools.

So you would have no problem letting them rob you or your property, christ you're very understanding

So, this applies to rural properties only? What you're saying is that rural dwellers should be allowed to take the law into their own hands.

I was fully considering selling my home and moving to a more rural setting when I retire, but this thread has convinced me I won't be doing that - and that has nothing to do with a fear of being burgled.

So, this applies to rural properties only? What you're saying is that rural dwellers should be allowed to take the law into their own hands.

So you'd be happy to let people wander into your property at any time day or night and let them rob you without consequence

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I was fully considering selling my home and moving to a more rural setting when I retire, but this thread has convinced me I won't be doing that - and that has nothing to do with a fear of being burgled.

In an apartment block some chap/chapette could be mistaken where they were going, in rural Ireland I'd basically shoot to kill after 6pm, no reason for any unannounced randomer to arrive in winter.

• Advertisement

So you would have no problem letting them rob you or your property, christ you're very understanding

Property can be replaced. I don't feel the need to point a gun at anyone to protect it. I also value MY OWN life more then I value material things. I certainly would not be stupid enough to introduce a loaded weapon into a confrontational situation.

I have had my garden shed broken into and emptied, my car broken into in my front garden mere feet from where I and my children were sleeping. Urban dwellers are not immune to robberies or violent crime.

But if you're so paranoid of being robbed while living in a rural area that you have to keep a loaded shotgun beside your bed, and would have no hesitation about firing it at another person, then maybe you should strongly reconsider where you live.

Advertisement