Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intellectual Dark Web

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Morgans wrote: »
    What you won't find from any of them is coming out as supporters of gun control, Palestinian rights, abortion, climate change, fair immigration, health care or anything that strays too far from the topics dear to their paymasters hearts. It's not good business. It's a grift.

I think you need to actually read the views and opinions of all those referenced in the OP, not just cherry-pick the odd few that conforms into your nice confirmation bias.

But I guess, its easier to stay ignorant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

markodaly wrote: »
    My view on late night 'talk' shows that passes of as comedy.

9223783c3b043f2fedd61b43ce5939c01339bce9144bd7d9575e8697a31d5c41_1.jpg

Well that’s pretty definitive, if Rob Schneider said it’s indisputable.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think you need to actually read the views and opinions of all those referenced in the OP, not just cherry-pick the odd few that conforms into your nice confirmation bias.

But I guess, its easier to stay ignorant.

What makes you think I havent?

Most aren't actually to be read - but viewed on youtube channels. But obviously, you are the expert on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

My view on late night 'talk' shows that passes of as comedy.

9223783c3b043f2fedd61b43ce5939c01339bce9144bd7d9575e8697a31d5c41_1.jpg

Rob 'wouldn't have worked since the early 90's if not for Adam Sandler' Schneider? ;)

Noam Chomsky

So SJW is a compliment? Here's me thinking it was an attempt to censor and belittle those seeking equality and fairness for people or groups you don't like. In that case, I'm no 'warrior', but thanks.

For example John Oliver and John Stewart in particular was my favourite comedian for a long time. It's such a great shame what a tragedy he has spawned.

Who's worthy? Who do you find funny? Just curious.
    FYI: You know these guys jobs are being politically satirical and Trump is President right? Should they go after Jimmy Carter for balance?

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    Well that’s pretty definitive, if Rob Schneider said it’s indisputable.

You just put your foot into a fallacy there Brian. Why not actually engage with the point made rather than throw out an ad hominem.

What makes you think I havent?

Because if you actually read anything by Maajid Nawaz, Sam Harris or either of the Weinstein's then you will realise that your 'factual' statement is false, thus you would not have made it.

Well, maybe you still would have, but perhaps you wanted to present a black and white argument to try and make your point appear more valid and decided to forgo any nuance and subtlety, but that is just a sign of incompetence and laziness.

So, you were either lazy and incompetent or plain wrong. You choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Douglas Murray is very good at highlighting some of the problems many of us are noticing, especially with the hyperbolic reactionaries that hold PC in a positive light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

So sick of these privileged folk whinging that society is falling because someone criticised them on twitter. Imagine they felt actual discrimination even just for one day they'd shut up quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

20Cent wrote: »
    So sick of these privileged folk whinging that society is falling because someone criticised them on twitter. Imagine they felt actual discrimination even just for one day they'd shut up quickly.

You clearly have powers of observation that I don't. Care to link me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You just put your foot into a fallacy there Brian. Why not actually engage with the point made rather than throw out an ad hominem.

Why not throw out an ad hominem against a quote from Rob Schneider? Because he's a terrible actor and comedian and his opinion is worth nothing.

As for the actual point being made, it's nonsense. Late night talk shows give people what they want, they're a ratings business. It's clear people want to watch satire if they don't, they watch something else.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There's a lad called Donald Trump. Keyboard warrior. Thinks tweets from individuals is liberals or media or Hollywood elites out to get him. He's mental.
    Donald Trump on Wednesday took a brief respite from ginning up fear over immigrants, threatening Iran, and lying about Robert Mueller to discuss another issue near and dear to his heart: His Twitter account. In a rambling interview with the Fox Business network, the extremely online president whined that he was being censored on the social media platform, claiming—naturally without evidence—that shadowy forces are making it “very hard for people to join me on Twitter,” and that he’s lost followers because the company is “biased toward Democrats.”
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/06/trump-claims-hes-being-disappeared-on-twitter-fox-business-interview

Why not throw out an ad hominem against a quote from Rob Schneider? Because he's a terrible actor and comedian and his opinion is worth nothing.
    That's what this whole thread is about, engaging with ideas instead of the character of the person saying it.
    As for the actual point being made, it's nonsense. Late night talk shows give people what they want, they're a ratings business. It's clear people want to watch satire if they don't, they watch something else.

Indeed that was the point I was trying to make. That there are echo chambers everywhere that sell. I was being charged with being part of the 'rubin' echo chamber, I was giving examples of late night comedy turning into a left echo chambers aswell. They exist everywhere now.

He is pretty bad.

4B5k34A.jpg

He basically said comedy today is very liberal but referenced an extreme right wing group to make a funny.

There's a lad called Donald Trump. Keyboard warrior. Thinks tweets from individuals is liberals or media or Hollywood elites out to get him. He's mental.

We were talking about members of the IDW, I'm not sure if you purposefully are throwing out Donald Trump as a Red Herring, or have lost a grasp on the thread.

But either way let me re-iterate the challenge,

Can you link me to any of the people I've listed or anyone else even loosely affiliated with the IDW that makes this claim? No, because none of them have...

I expect further straw-men replies from the usual suspects.

We were talking about members of the IDW, I'm not sure if you purposefully are throwing out Donald Trump as a Red Herring, or have lost a grasp on the thread.

Can you link me to any of the people I've listed or anyone else even loosely affiliated with the IDW that makes this claim? No, because none of them have...

There is a whole section on it in the video that I provided you but you refused to watch, highlighting how Dave Rubin starts all interviews with people who have been criticised on twitter. You didnt notice this in your Rubin fandom but rather than watch the videos you asked for a one line summary.

Its not my job to educate you.

Anyway, Im surprised just how quickly this turned into a dumpster fire, and everyone, including me, and those critical of the IDW really should do something better with their time.

There is a whole section on it in the video that I provided you but you refused to watch, highlighting how Dave Rubin starts all interviews with people who have been criticised on twitter. You didnt notice this in your Rubin fandom but rather than watch the videos you asked for a one line summary.

Its not my job to educate you.

Anyway, Im surprised just how quickly this turned into a dumpster fire, and everyone, including me, and those critical of the IDW really should do something better with their time.

The IDW isn't claiming society is failing because somebody criticized them on twitter. This is a gross straw-man that those attacking the IDW are happy to profilerate.

Timbah from your videos was highly bias in his presentation; its telling there are only 4 videos on his entire youtube channel. He seems just as happy as you to attack self-constructed strawmen.

Why don't you try steel-manning and attack that argument instead? Or I guess you don't like Sam Harris so you don't like his techniques either...

Why is it telling that there are only 4 videos on his channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

the video that I provided you

It really is a very thorough exposition of Rubin's show - its creator must have put an awful lot of hours into it.
    Timbah from your videos was highly bias in his presentation

He does a very good job of exposing Rubin's bias. You should give it a watch - you might learn something.

I think young Libbers there might be confusing volume/popularity with rigour.

Wasn't clear he was talking about liberal or IDW liberals. I was under the impression he was referring to the kind of folk you'd admire.
    IDW is just more newspeak created by right wing conspiracy theorists designed to brainwash the weak minded into keeping the old guard and railing against equality.
    I can pick anyone and you could say they don't meet the criteria. Trump is the kingpin figurehead of the right, so I used him.
    As I've said before boards and youtube is rife with right wing/alt right 'truth tellers' banging on about the liberal media, liberal agenda and calling anyone critical an SJW or snowflake, the irony being there's far more folk outraged at the liberal outrage than their is actual liberal outrage. Just look at the threads on boards you frequent and the conspiracy about Greta.
    The only cultural invasion I see is coming from the Americanised right and far right with the juvenile spoilt brat with a gripe terminology. It's sickening.

• Advertisement

Tell me what form all this abuse they get comes from?
    As far as I can tell it's twitter/social media.

Hours of them moaning that they are being "censored" or that their ideas are too hot to handle. They do it on nearly every platform so tedious.

It really is a very thorough exposition of Rubin's show - its creator must have put an awful lot of hours into it.

He does a very good job of exposing Rubin's bias. You should give it a watch - you might learn something.

I think young Libbers there might be confusing volume/popularity with rigour.

Why not summarize the arguments instead of saying 'watch the video'. Obfuscation is what this thread is about, and you continue to do it.

Timbah's biggest argument seems to be that Dave Rubin is gate-way to the alt-right, would you or anyone else that has watched Timbah's video agree with this?

If you want to post 'watch the video' again you're just wasting everybodys time

Tell me what form all this abuse they get comes from?
    As far as I can tell it's twitter/social media.

Hours of them moaning that they are being "censored" or that their ideas are too hot to handle. They do it on nearly every platform so tedious.

Its not just social media and its not just the IDW. There are numerous subjects that there is a stigma attached to talking about.
    • Immigration-racist
    • Feminism-Misogynist
    • Islam-Racist

Just look to these boards, anytime someone tries to criticize currently policies surrounding these subjects are duly called racists and misogynists.

Wasn't clear he was talking about liberal or IDW liberals. I was under the impression he was referring to the kind of folk you'd admire.
    IDW is just more newspeak created by right wing conspiracy theorists designed to brainwash the weak minded into keeping the old guard and railing against equality.
    I can pick anyone and you could say they don't meet the criteria. Trump is the kingpin figurehead of the right, so I used him.
    As I've said before boards and youtube is rife with right wing/alt right 'truth tellers' banging on about the liberal media, liberal agenda and calling anyone critical an SJW or snowflake, the irony being there's far more folk outraged at the liberal outrage than their is actual liberal outrage. Just look at the threads on boards you frequent and the conspiracy about Greta.
    The only cultural invasion I see is coming from the Americanised right and far right with the juvenile spoilt brat with a gripe terminology. It's sickening.

It was perfectly clear to the poster I was asking the question. The cheek of jumping into to answer a question for someone else and then claiming it wasn't clear. Hilarious stuff.
    Why are you still talking about Trump exactly?

Who is talking about a cultural invasion?

Are you sure you're posting in the right thread?

Because the author of the video series is completely hidden about what their politics and their agenda is.

Even though a lot of what he says is true, the things that are true are not a crime. It's a hatchet job plain and simple. Plenty of his 'crimes' are equally committed by liberal media/night-time comedy.

The whole video series is full of strawmen and red-herrings.

I have watched enough of Rubin to know when he's being maligned.

Its not just social media and its not just the IDW. There are numerous subjects that there is a stigma attached to talking about.
    • Immigration-racist
    • Feminism-Misogynist
    • Islam-Racist

Just look to these boards, anytime someone tries to criticize currently policies surrounding these subjects are duly called racists and misogynists.

Poor dears truly the most oppressed people ever.
    Its called debate, the "other side" will reply with their opinion. It's freedom from criticism they want.

Poor dears truly the most oppressed people ever.
    Its called debate, the "other side" will reply with their opinion. It's freedom from criticism they want.

Who mentioned oppressed? Oh wait you did.. why?

Do you think smearing people is good debate to have? Would you not agree it has added to the polarization around the topics the IDW try to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Why not summarize the arguments instead of saying 'watch the video'.

In a nutshell, and no doubt doing Timbah's trojan exposition a disservice, Rubin may have started out with good intentions but quickly realised who was paying the bills and what they wanted in return i.e. reactionaries who wanted to have their reactionary views confirmed.

In a nutshell, and no doubt doing Timbah's trojan exposition a disservice, Rubin may have started out with good intentions but quickly realised who was paying the bills and what they wanted in return i.e. reactionaries who wanted to have their reactionary views confirmed.

Duh duh duh duh, exactly the same as the video I posted about the late night comics under Stewart. Why are we going backwards?

I bet you still watch at least one of these comics, am I right?

I bet you don't hate Jon Oliver as much as you do Dave Rubin... Could you explain why?

Just in case you missed this short clip here it is again.

It's much shorter than the 3hour crap you put me through.

• Advertisement

Who mentioned oppressed? Oh wait you did.. why?

Do you think smearing people is good debate to have? Would you not agree it has added to the polarization around the topics the IDW try to discuss?

They do. They constantly go on about how they can't say what they really think or that some topic is "off limits". If you want to discuss controversial topics then criticism etc is to be expected. Put on some big boy pants suck it up.

Advertisement