Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Joe be Gone Til November like Wyclef Jean? Liveline: 17/09/2019 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

zell12 wrote: »
    Not many would miss RTÉ if it went.
    Only asset, is it's very occasional investigative journalism
    I would beg to disagree.

I think it's the biggest case of "be careful what you wish for" possible - there's a huge variety of programming that will never, EVER be covered by commercial stations, that would be badly missed by a lot of people.

Just because something is a minority taste doesn't mean it's not worth doing - there are a lot of different minority tastes out there, and RTE caters to a lot of them. Newstalk is the only station that comes anywhere close, and I would tune in to it a 2, or max 3 times per day (PK, Moncrieff, and Tom Dunne the very odd time). RTE1 and Lyric are more or less on full time. Except for 1.45-3pm obv :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,617 ✭✭✭✭zell12

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I would beg to disagree.
    I have not watched a television since 2008! No really, long time.
    Everything gone online since.

Listen to radio though, particularly RnaG, which provides a good service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I would beg to disagree.

I think it's the biggest case of "be careful what you wish for" possible - there's a huge variety of programming that will never, EVER be covered by commercial stations, that would be badly missed by a lot of people.

Just because something is a minority taste doesn't mean it's not worth doing - there are a lot of different minority tastes out there, and RTE caters to a lot of them. Newstalk is the only station that comes anywhere close, and I would tune in to it a 2, or max 3 times per day (PK, Moncrieff, and Tom Dunne the very odd time). RTE1 and Lyric are more or less on full time. Except for 1.45-3pm obv :eek:
    Charlie Bird is worth a listen from yesterday with Ivan Yates if you get a chance. Yates had a bit of a rant about rte at the start of his programme. Don't think the likes of Bird get it given that himself and his wife have spent all their working lives out in montrose

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I would beg to disagree.

Hear! Hear!

The independent national broadcaster is absolutely vital to our democracy. We would miss it’s absence in no uncertain way, I have no doubt about that. I may have huge criticism about its top paid presenters and their lack of value for money, but by contrast I have praise for their news and investigative journalism department which has exposed stuff that the government would be only too glad to remain buried. Duffy is appallingly vain, draping himself in visibly false “modesty”. Liveline is a valuable public service program that could so often be better handled with solutions, where fairly readily available, offered more quickly to callers rather than dragging it out to make a cheap lazy tabloid drama out of it.

Tubridy hosts a greatly diminished Late Late Show because of his personal broadcasting limitations. He’d be suitable for a book review program or children’s television and leave it at that. Enough said about Darcy, he could join Tubridy as the co-host of children's television. Bring in genuinely talented person to host a revitalized old style Late Late Show with debate, audience opinion, phone-ins, tweets, variety, and the occasional “misery slot” which we could take if counterpointed by more joyous material. And above all, Dee Forbes, STOP DEFENDING THE OUTRAGEOUS PAY, nobody is worth that much.

• Advertisement

I love how the top ten earners are taking a 15% cut, but Dee herself (on 340K or thereabouts) is only taking 10%!

Jaysus, tell us what you really think, Ivan, why dontcha!

(He's absolutely right!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I assume it was Coveney who was on Newstalk this morning saying Doireann Garrihy was totes amazeballs and has a hugely successful show on the RTE Player. FFS. The Player that never works.

Deluded the lot of them.

Coveney said in the dail yesterday that he had a brother working in rte on the restructuring end of things.
    Other brother runs Greencore. Fair play to them.

I get all my entertainment news for Lottie.

Joe at de funeral
    i4YS8S5.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jaysus, tell us what you really think, Ivan, why dontcha!

(He's absolutely right!)

Whats with the prompt sheets?

When I hear him rant on the radio, I'd like to think he's doing it off the top of his head. Hopefully, he isn't just reading prompts from a scripts that a researcher and himself have put together.

Where’s Joe Duffy seated in the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'm surprised he's not on a throne on the altar.

zell12 wrote: »
    Joe at de funeral
    i4YS8S5.jpg?1

Thought he enjoyed death ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

On the coffin.

NIMAN wrote: »

When I hear him rant on the radio, I'd like to think he's doing it off the top of his head. Hopefully, he isn't just reading prompts from a scripts that a researcher and himself have put together.

I think every broadcaster uses cue cards to slot in all the points within the given time frame. Gaybo did it, always prepared.

Damien. Oh god.

I think every broadcaster uses cue cards to slot in all the points within the given time frame. Gaybo did it, always prepared.

Bryan Tubridy is always nervously playing with his (cue cards) on the rare occasions I've watched The Late Late Show.

Just heard DoR pronounce Anna Kriegels name flawlessly. Listen up Duffy.

I love how the top ten earners are taking a 15% cut, but Dee herself (on 340K or thereabouts) is only taking 10%!

As was pointed out by someone yesterday those contracts are set in stone, they can't and won't be reduced until the next contracts kick in.

To add to this, as I have pointed out on numerous occasions in the past, until we see the per show rates I remain highly dubious of any suggested decrease as it's very easy to cook the books to make it appear as though someone is earning less, when in actual fact their hours have simply decreased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,871 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

NIMAN wrote: »

I suspect he had a good rant in the bathroom mirror and jotted some notes down while fresh.

I know I would - some of my finest oration is in the bog.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

On the coffin.

Screen-Shot-2013-11-29-at-12.09.24-PM.png

Use spoiler alerts if commenting on da funeral.
    Some of us might be watching it later like.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Ghouls?

Gods Gift wrote: »

And coming up de inside, it's Duffy for an almost certain finish, but wait, there's Forbes elbowing her way past to win by a nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Do we get a break from Duffy for the day.

Damo be on? He might actually talk about current events in the living realm so to speak.

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Do we get a break from Duffy for the day.
    Damo be on? He might actually talk about current events in the living realm so to speak.
    Cows, sheep and hogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Looking at the funeral mass. Did anyone see the size of the "host" the priest held up? I'd say there's a bit for everyone in the audience.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Looking at the funeral mass. Did anyone see the size of the "host" the priest held up? I'd say there's a bit for everyone in the audience.

Host?
    Obviously was Tubridy then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its basically one of these, without the sugar

flying_saucers_ufos_.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement