Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Joe be Gone Til November like Wyclef Jean? Liveline: 17/09/2019 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I was at a funeral , and after the service, in that beautiful old church yard - one of the nicest in the land

Hi Joe. How's the lobster in Belfast? :pac:

Does de wuurdild wide web go as far as dere too,sez I ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

God I love a good funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

busy with de childer baby so to speak joe gone again eh??
    we might need de next title to be

After titanic (lots of death joe... i was getting colder in de water joe)

how did it feeeeel... wat colour were u

" A night to remember - joe does a solid weeks work" (guffah)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

2smiggy wrote: »
    watery

Dribbildy gik :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That does sound quite nice, but you still can't beat a Catholic funeral. If you have any inclination towards God or Allah (praise be upon him, sez he) there is nothing like it. The CoI, Methodist and other prod funerals are generally sparsely attended, mournful, hurried affairs - sometimes without any music. Catholics make a festival of death in the best possible way.

The wafting of incense, the music, the icons and the art, the splash of holy water - and actually, the informality - somehow, its not a stuffy affair.
    I was at a funeral of a local woman a couple of months ago in Terryglass, and after the service, in that beautiful old church yard - one of the nicest in the land, with its mature beech trees, and beyond those, the lake - the mourners sang "I'll take you home again Kathleen" (that being her name). Where else would you get that?

I'm starting to sound as ghoulish as Duffy now, but it is important that mourners should have positive memories of their loved one's final commemoration. As Fr Iggy said on yesterday's programme, it's something this country tends to do very well.

Joe: you had me at “funeral”, “festival of death” however caused an eruption in the trouser volcano so to speak. Me cax is ruined!

• Advertisement

That does sound quite nice, but you still can't beat a Catholic funeral. If you have any inclination towards God or Allah (praise be upon him, sez he) there is nothing like it. The CoI, Methodist and other prod funerals are generally sparsely attended, mournful, hurried affairs - sometimes without any music. Catholics make a festival of death in the best possible way.

The wafting of incense, the music, the icons and the art, the splash of holy water - and actually, the informality - somehow, its not a stuffy affair.
    I was at a funeral of a local woman a couple of months ago in Terryglass, and after the service, in that beautiful old church yard - one of the nicest in the land, with its mature beech trees, and beyond those, the lake - the mourners sang "I'll take you home again Kathleen" (that being her name). Where else would you get that?

I'm starting to sound as ghoulish as Duffy now, but it is important that mourners should have positive memories of their loved one's final commemoration. As Fr Iggy said on yesterday's programme, it's something this country tends to do very well.

I’ve been to various deniminininational funerdals as befits one who grew up in de most cosmopolitan part of de country so to speak. Well for 1960s it was very cosmopolitan. I was brought to many, many sickbeds, deathbeds and funerals from when I woz a tiny chizler.

I remember my first funeral, aged 3, in the Church of the Three Patrons (at one time styled by the pp the “Church of the three Patricks”, that being the names of the 3 padres. All were stood around the coffin in reverend silence in the mortuary chapel awaiting proceedings, when I piped up in my loud voice “Do you know who’s in the coffin? I’ll tell you, it’s Auntie Bal, and she’s dead, she’s not moving or anything, and they’re going to dig a hole in the ground and put her in there, in that box.” After proceedings we went over to the nice Victorian house in Palmerston Villas and I was just fascinated with it, the big rooms, tall ceilings I and big wooden book cases lining the hall. I decided that I loved funerals and couldn’t wait for more people (who were beyond ancient) to die.

I attended Jewish funerals of the family across the road, and COI funerdals, the last one being of a Freemason who was married to my mother’s old best friend. Actually when I had a new year party, we had the Hewish family over. and he being a man of wit an dat, I said “we literally have all creeds here tonight, and there’s a Freemason coming in shortly, all we need is an Orangeman to make the party go with a bang. When the Freemason arrived the Jewish neighbour gave him the famous handshake and lifted the trouser leg, and asked him could he join the brotherhood.

The local Baptist Ministers wife was famous in the locality and used to grasp my mother to tell her of the latest troubles in the marriage-I’d say she might have livened up the odd funereal. Tbe local Presbyterian madre, Mary Hunter, gave very good sermons and was extremely fond of hosting ceilidhs, so I can’t imagine her not giving a good send-off to the deceased, and indeed we got our electrician from one of her congregation via a funereal so to speak. Rev Gourlay in Zion COI was a man who loved loads of music so I think he wouldn’t discourage his (church) organ being put to good use at any opportunity. The Freemason’s brother was a minister of the 7th Day Adventists Church and we knew him, he being famous for his sermons. The Sally Army would play Christmas Carols around the tree outside Mary Hunter’s church, maybe she called them in for trumpet blast at the funerals.

On the other hand, the local Kingdom Hall was a place apart from all the others. Never been to a service, funereal or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's a buke in ya, Cat.

sligojoek wrote: »

Joe: and speaking of bukes, you may not be aware of dis but I have just published me latest buke in my series of bukes about dead chislers, entitled “Chislers of de Troubles (incl. Protestant Chislers)” and it’s available now in all good buke shops, and some bad wans too sez I. He he he he he!

https://twitter.com/joeliveline/status/1184002281622114305?s=21

The comments:

“Every chisler in Nordren Ireland should get this buke” says Ronan.
    “That’s a great idea” says Freya without a hint of self-interest.

Why not buy them all a copy then at wholesale pricing Freya and Joe from the profits you make from the deaths of children? Shameless the pair of you.

There definitely is. Much better than any of this misery 'our host' comes out with, too.

Maeve Binchy meets Terry Keane

• Advertisement

There definitely is. Much better than any of this misery 'our host' comes out with, too.

Maeve Binchy meets Terry Keane

No chance of Cat having an affair with current Taoiseach though........

No chance of Cat having an affair with current Taoiseach though........

She could "Pray the gay away".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I was once at a wake in rural Roscommon many, many years ago.

One of the most joyful, spiritual, fun occasions I’ve ever attended.

Best funeral I was at was nearly a year ago. I mentioned before that one of my closest friends "Doyed by sewiside". For obvious reasons the wake was at his mother's house and not his own. His mother and father never drank and it was always a dry house. However his mother decided that on the second day she wanted his brother and 10 of us to go into the room with him and have an hour and a half with a few crates and bottles. A few joints were rolled as well. We all went to the coffin in turn and told a story or anecdote. The last lad stood over the coffin and said, "Jaysus ***** , I know Sligo Rovers had a bad season but there was no fúckin' need for this."

After that we brought him to a hotel for a "Celebration of life". A Rock n Roll band gave us a few tunes and a few oratorys were read. After that he was taken to Cavan for cremation by private ceremony.

She could "Pray the gay away".

I was told by an American colleague in a previous working life that that technique does actually work. And this person was a doctor no less. A man of science so to speak. I swiftly turned the conversation to a much easier and straightforward topic, like gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »

Fees caller. You pay PAYE on salary, you pay Corporation Tax on fees.

Wat else would a wurkin class man o de peeple wit a wurkin class wurk ettic pay?

This book should be on the school ker ick el um.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    This book should be on the school ker ick el um.

Brindin O’Cardle did say dat about de last buke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Mirror - Joe Duffy opens up about receiving 'better offers' as he defends €415k RTE salary
    The Sun - Joe Duffy reveals he was offered more money to leave RTE – but believes Liveline provides a public service
    took home €418,893 in 2018.. he is aware that he is “well paid”.
    As a contractor, he could be axed at a moment’s notice and insisted he’d get more money if he wasn’t working for the State broadcaster.
    He said of his salary: “It’s not for me to justify. It was negotiated on my behalf. I’ve had better offers from outside I can tell you. I’m well paid, I know that."

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

vicwatson wrote: »

"
    Error 503 Backend is unhealthy"

Ooo-eerr. Art imitates life again.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Joe is back

Brexit. Breaking news as we get it.

Catholic church shunning unmarried mothers.

Teenagers, young males firing fireworks at cyclists on Clonbrasil St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Joe is back

Brexit. Breaking news as we get it.

Catholic church shunning unmarried mothers.

Teenagers, young males firing fireworks at cyclists on Clonbrasil St.

good to hear. he had a mileage back at a miserly 1000e a mile, low by rte standards

“It’s not for me to justify my salary”

Has a similar ring to it as...

“That’s for a judge to decide”

Why does Joe wear an NUJ Id rather than an rté one? :confused: :rolleyes: EFt9y21X0AAtyth.jpg
    77lgmMg.jpg?1

Why is his hand wrapped around that the young fella?

Odd posturing imo.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Why is his hand wrapped around that the young fella? Odd posturing imo.
    He injured his leg, y'know. :pac:

I’m definitely gonna wroite a buke, encouraged by Boardsies. Yizzers will all get an invite to de launch in RTE. I have a wurking title in me head-all I have to do is get at the keyboard IF de cat will allow me. What is it about cats and keyboards?

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    He injured his leg, y'know. :pac:

I know dat !! I know dat !! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement