Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Joe be Gone Til November like Wyclef Jean? Liveline: 17/09/2019 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BPKS wrote: »
    Am I missing anything today.

Did the great man himself make it back from Belfast OK?

Jag laden down with Asda's best Merlot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Wez dropped for a eulogy

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I don't have a problem with Damien O'Reilly. He's a very good presenter. It's the production thats the problem. And its governed by joe Duffy.

Theres only one U in Beaumont

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Wacker wants to launch vendettas from the altar

• Advertisement

150 / 200 for lunch ??. Was his aulfella the president ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I don't have a problem with Damien O'Reilly. He's a very good presenter. It's the production thats the problem. And its governed by joe Duffy.

Yeah, it's long past time to give the gig to someone else and let them put their stamp on it.

Ripe old age of 87, young man as far as Duffy is concerned

This wans tale will take longer than 4 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i'm sure with less and less priests these days, and them having to carry out more funerals , the priests probably sick of listening to long rambling speeches at the grave side.

Surely the dinner after the funeral is the best suited place for the eulogy's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,765 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Feedback - Damo, she could be getting it and you don't.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

ya, i always find Damo a pleasant fellow in fairness

“The dubs to blow away my words” LOL

lol

My lion of a son :):).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,765 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Did he do the welding?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

And I'd prefer to speak from the left hand side of the altar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Why on Earth would you do that?! If you don't want to obey their rules, dislike their hipocrysy and disagree with their nonsense, why would you still use their services?!

Put Goal in your will and yer boring relatives can do a ego stroke eulogy up the tabernacle

Liveline listeners are not the best audience for an opera ad.

• Advertisement

Well,that was a clusterfuk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

150 / 200 for lunch ??. Was his aulfella the president ?

Maybe cocktail sausages, chicken nuggets, chicken wings and potato wedges count as lunch in some parts of thr country. Give me soggy salad sandwiches and sour apple tart any day of the week.

I attended an interfaith but more largely Christian funeral at Newlands Cross, led by a lady padre, you might say - a madre. The lady who died was born of a Jewish father and RC mother, with lots of attendees from various faiths. Half the funeral was in fact a eulogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Hubba hubba...

hire-brazilian-dancers-sydney.jpg

Silver, blue, and yellow ahve achieved the ButtersSuki Top Totty Seal of Approval. PM me ladies for your "reward".

2smiggy wrote: »

Today's show would best be described as ****e

Wat colour is de ****e?

Silver, blue, and yellow ahve achieved the ButtersSuki Top Totty Seal of Approval. PM me ladies for your "reward".

Wat colour is de ****e?

watery

To be fair, with the new road that journey could take almost as much as 2 whole hours now. He’ll need the rest of the week to recover after that.

Looks like I was right.

Get de last of yisser Brexit shoppin' and dat.

2smiggy wrote: »
    watery

You paint the prettiest pictures.....

Watery brown or watery water colour so to speak?

Maybe when the alzheimers advances and tbe real cat is no more :( I will be given this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innovation-Joy-All-Companion-Realistic/dp/B07NQGFHLP

And when de batteries run out I might put it in this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orchid-Valley-Biodegradable-Eco-Friendly-Cardboard/dp/B07D3QMJZC

If you've been livin on Mars for the last 18months you maye have missed the news that Mr. Duffy has just published a new buke so to speak.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Troubles-Joe-Duffy/dp/1473697352/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=joe+duffy&qid=1571152679&sr=8-1

"The bullets didn't just travel in distance, they travelled in time. Some of those bullets never stop travelling." Jack Kennedy, father of James Kennedy

On 15th August 1969, nine-year-old Patrick Rooney became the first child killed as a result of the 'Troubles' - one of 186 children who would die in the conflict in Northern Ireland.

Fifty years on, these young lives are honoured in a memorable book that spans a singular era.

From the teenage striker who scored two goals in a Belfast schools cup final, to the aspiring architect who promised to build his mother a house, to the five-year-old girl who wrote in her copy book on the day she died, 'I am a good girl. I talk to God', Children of the Troubles recounts the previously untold story of Northern Ireland's lost children -- and those who died in the Republic, the UK and as far afield as West Germany -- and the lives that might have been.

Based on original interviews with almost one hundred families, as well as extensive archival research, this unique book includes many children who have never been publicly acknowledged as victims of the Troubles, and draws a compelling social and cultural picture of the era.

Much loved, deeply mourned, and never forgotten, Children of the Troubles is both an acknowledgement of and a tribute to young lives lost.

Book Description
    Based on original interviews with almost 100 families, as well as extensive archival research, this unique book includes children who have never been publicly acknowledged as victims of the Troubles, and draws a compelling social and cultural picture of the era.

About the Author
    Joe Duffy (Author)
    Broadcaster and author Joe Duffy is the presenter of Ireland's most popular daily radio show, Liveline, on RTE Radio 1. He also presents Liveline Callback on RTÉ One Television.
    Born in Dublin's Mountjoy Square and reared in Ballyfermot, he published his bestselling memoir Just Joe in 2010.
    In 2015, his original research on the children killed during the Easter Rising of 1916 unearthed for the first time information on the forty children who died violently that week. His acclaimed book Children of the Rising won the non-fiction Book of the Year at the Irish Book Awards.

Freya McClements (Author)
    Journalist and author Freya McClements is Northern Correspondent with The Irish Times.
    From Derry, she is a former reporter with the Derry Journal and was a journalist and producer with the BBC in Northern Ireland from 2007-2016, as well as a documentary producer and presenter for the BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Radio 4.
    She is also the author of the short story collection The Dangerous Edge of Things (Guildhall Press, 2012). Freya was the captain of the team from Magdalen College, Oxford, which won University Challenge in 2004, and she represents Northern Ireland on the BBC Radio 4 Panel show Round Britain Quiz.

face-with-open-mouth-vomiting_1f92e.png

• Advertisement

I attended an interfaith but more largely Christian funeral at Newlands Cross, led by a lady padre, you might say - a madre. The lady who died was born of a Jewish father and RC mother, with lots of attendees from various faiths. Half the funeral was in fact a eulogy.

That does sound quite nice, but you still can't beat a Catholic funeral. If you have any inclination towards God or Allah (praise be upon him, sez he) there is nothing like it. The CoI, Methodist and other prod funerals are generally sparsely attended, mournful, hurried affairs - sometimes without any music. Catholics make a festival of death in the best possible way.

The wafting of incense, the music, the icons and the art, the splash of holy water - and actually, the informality - somehow, its not a stuffy affair.
    I was at a funeral of a local woman a couple of months ago in Terryglass, and after the service, in that beautiful old church yard - one of the nicest in the land, with its mature beech trees, and beyond those, the lake - the mourners sang "I'll take you home again Kathleen" (that being her name). Where else would you get that?

I'm starting to sound as ghoulish as Duffy now, but it is important that mourners should have positive memories of their loved one's final commemoration. As Fr Iggy said on yesterday's programme, it's something this country tends to do very well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement