Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Circle K chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

zg3409 wrote: »

I'd imagine any or all Circle K stations will have minimum a circle k operated charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

The chargers are listed as Ionity on Plugshare site, and saying "available".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Mylow wrote: »

The chargers are listed as Ionity on Plugshare site, and saying "available".
    And it says Chademo. Can't be Ionity. Ionity are building near Naas & Kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Called into the Circle K in Athlone today and interestingly, they seem to be adding 2 more of the Veefil chargers, one either side of the existing one that you can see in the photos in the OP. So, that would be 7 chargers on site, 3 Circle K branded ones, and the 4 Ionity.

_dof_ wrote:
    Called into the Circle K in Athlone today and interestingly, they seem to be adding 2 more of the Veefil chargers, one either side of the existing one that you can see in the photos in the OP. So, that would be 7 chargers on site, 3 Circle K branded ones, and the 4 Ionity.

We've got a first hub!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Hopefully these ones don't come with broken CCS, Ionity only becomes cost effective at >27.5kWh compared to ESBs 29c rate

And yes, I know about the alt payment methods but most people won't

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    Hopefully these ones don't come with broken CCS, Ionity only becomes cost effective at >27.5kWh compared to ESBs 29c rate

And yes, I know about the alt payment methods but most people won't
    Interesting
    So that means it's never cost effective in an Ioniq to use them!

Broken CCS - I believe it's not broken just made to look like that. I wonder next time I'm there if I can test my hypothesis.

I thought these were free, the circle K ones, they are not ecars

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »
    Interesting
    So that means it's never cost effective in an Ioniq to use them!

Broken CCS - I believe it's not broken just made to look like that. I wonder next time I'm there if I can test my hypothesis.

I thought these were free, the circle K ones, they are not ecars

Tis about parity with ESB if you use Maingau and value your time. 20kWh being €1.20 cheaper with ESB, but taking maybe 7 minutes longer on ESB. Those 7 minutes works out at valuing your time at €10 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

CCS on Athlone M6 Circle K charger is now functional!

There is also chargepoint (www.chargepoint.com) AC charger installed. Not sure how quick it is, but it is tethered Type 2 version and it seems to be free but you need to install app and have phone with NFC.

I took some photos a few nights ago, installed the chargepoint app but couldn't find the charger on it. Since it's just 2 tethered type 2 connectors, then it'll be AC only, probably 22kW max, so only Zoes or dual charger Tesla Model S would get any meaningful chrge during a motorway stop. Nice that the Zoe owners have some charger available onsite though.

• Advertisement

_dof_ wrote:
    I took some photos a few nights ago, installed the chargepoint app but couldn't find the charger on it. Since it's just 2 tethered type 2 connectors, then it'll be AC only, probably 22kW max, so only Zoes or dual charger Tesla Model S would get any meaningful chrge during a motorway stop. Nice that the Zoe owners have some charger available onsite though.
    Is the tether 3-phase? 32A 3-phase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

September1 wrote: »
    CCS on Athlone M6 Circle K charger is now functional!

There is also chargepoint (www.chargepoint.com) AC charger installed. Not sure how quick it is, but it is tethered Type 2 version and it seems to be free but you need to install app and have phone with NFC.

Is it free to use?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Is it free to use?

Should be far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Is it free to use?

CHAdeMO was free two weeks ago so I assume CCS is as well. Just plug and charge, no apps, fobs, cards, etc.

McGiver wrote: »
    Is the tether 3-phase? 32A 3-phase.

Tethered for sure, I assume it's 32A 3-phase, giving 22kW, but I couldn't activate it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Is it free to use?

Yes, both Circle K (CCS or Chademo) and Chargepoint (AC) are free to use. Chargepoint requires app and registration.

Cheers for replies. Bit strange being free and you have to pay for Ionity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Cheers for replies. Bit strange being free and you have to pay for Ionity.

Ionity is a lot faster if it worked :)
    Plus it's only two spots so I'm guessing it will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Goldmark wrote: »
    I also have a Kona and the max speed I have achieved is something just above 50kWh at Athlone. Low battery temp was suggested as the cause.

I purchased an OBD dongle and installed the Torque App and checked the battery temps. It is very hard to raise the battery temperature of the Kona just by driving and the most I could get it up to was 18-19C at winter temps. I was told that it might need to be above 25C to get maximum charge speeds.

In my opinion the battery heater is sort of redundant when it cannot be used to help achieve optimum battery temp to ensure maximum charge speeds. I have never seen the battery heater engage so it must cut in at -5C or -10C.

See https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/2020-kona.6763/#post-76009
    if you plan on fast charging under 15°C you might want to wait for the battery heater if offered, see my graph below. It's not clear yet if, or when that comes on when using AC charging, for example at home. After driving for a couple of hours the battery will likely be warm enough to not need the heater.

My Kona in NZ has all the battery care options despite being the base trim and in our climate not really needing any of them. It was the first shipment and configured for the Irish market due to no NZ-specific trim being available at the time.

Tritium-with-heater.png

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Goldmark

Lumen wrote: »

So 15C is a cut off point on a 50kWh charger and the battery heater comes on when you start charging at below 15C and cuts out when you reach that.

I wonder is there a higher cut off point at say 25C for charging on a 150kWh and getting the ~77kWh speed. It would be great if the battery heating could be done on the way to the charger.

• Advertisement

Right. First attempt at Ionity Athlone Circle K.

Free CCS/Chademo Circle K didn't work, no error, nothing.

Tried Ionity #1 via Charge my EV (Bosch) app, got stuck, got an error.
    Tried starting the charge via ChargePoint app with a QR code which worked immediately. I was charged 7.42 euro.

I'm fine with ChargePoint for now.

I don’t think the CCS on that circle k one ever worked. There’s a chargepoint charger beside it as well now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Free CCS/Chademo Circle K didn't work, no error, nothing.

Did you press start on it? Have you used it before?
    You reset them by putting the cable back or hitting the plug holder door. I believe these are set to stop at 80% full. Were you above 80%?

Did you press start on it? Have you used it before?
    You reset them by putting the cable back or hitting the plug holder door. I believe these are set to stop at 80% full. Were you above 80%?
    I'd used the same charger in Kinnegad Plaza, it's the same hardware. Yes, I tried putting cable in and out, tried pressing the button. Was way below 80%.

I'd used the same charger in Kinnegad Plaza, it's the same hardware. Yes, I tried putting cable in and out, tried pressing the button. Was way below 80%.

Is there any way of making the kinnegad one go above 80%?

Is there any way of making the kinnegad one go above 80%?

There must be, because I'd done it...

There must be, because I'd done it...

Any time I’ve used it I wasn’t able to charge above 80%, it started charging the minute I scan my fob.

I don’t mind as I don’t want to hog the charger but if I had a long day ahead of me it would be great to fill up if the other charger was free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The button to the left of the start button allows you to override the 80% limit.

The black one in this photo from plugshare.

527730.jpg

I’ll try pressing the Full button before I tap the fob tomorrow

BTW 5
    The circle K charger in the Athlone plaza is out of action again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don’t think the CCS on that circle k one ever worked. There’s a chargepoint charger beside it as well now too.
    It does, I've used it

• Advertisement

Heads up for Chademo users, the Circle K charger in the Athlone plaza is turned off right now.

Also the ChargePoint charger beside it - both spots are iced. Wouldn’t mind but there’s a huge amount of free spaces closer to the main entrance ETP the shops.

Advertisement