Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Circle K chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The b class has no DC and charges on 3 phase AC, either 11kW or 22kW depending on spec.
    I wouldnt call it hogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I really think people should be required to watch a video and do simple online quiz before ESB card sent out. There's a lot of carry on out there, but a lot of it is ignorance rather than being a dick. And it'll only get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

AhHaor wrote: »
    I really think people should be required to watch a video and do simple online quiz before ESB card sent out. There's a lot of carry on out there, but a lot of it is ignorance rather than being a dick. And it'll only get worse

on the esb charging map, when you click on the charge point, or hover over it, it has an option to watch an instructional video, is this what youd like?

kaahooters wrote: »
    on the esb charging map, when you click on the charge point, or hover over it, it has an option to watch an instructional video, is this what youd like?
    But it's not a requirement to get the card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »
    So you decided to make it two local hoggers :D:D:D

He's doing valuable technical research. :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I’ve never owed a Phev only ever had BEV but as far as I know the outlander only has either chademo or type 1 so at a triple point rapid DC point they have no option but to take up the chademo plug. They can’t use the type 2. This obviously is a pain in the arse for someone waiting for chademo/CCS and a guy sitting there with 5 gallons of liquified bones in his fuel tank. Etiquette surely must come into play in those instances or dare I say a bit of common sense

Irishjg wrote: »
    I’ve never owed a Phev only ever had BEV but as far as I know the outlander only has either chademo or type 1 so at a triple point rapid DC point they have no option but to take up the chademo plug. They can’t use the type 2. This obviously is a pain in the arse for someone waiting for chademo/CCS and a guy sitting there with 5 gallons of liquified bones in his fuel tank. Etiquette surely must come into play in those instances or dare I say a bit of common sense

Etiquette, it can only be first come first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is no such thing as etiquette in rapid charging use. Just everyones opinion of what is and is not "allowed" or acceptable behavior.

If you can plug in and hog it then that's your right. Expecting etiquette to help you along your journey is being naive and destined to disappoint you at some point! ;)

The same will be true when charging for charging comes in depending on how they frame the charges... time or kWh based or a combination of both.
    You could find that its kWh based charging and so people will still hog it simply because they can but it will hopefully drive the locals off the network but that will be countered by the exponential rise in EV's using the network so its hard to see how that will actually play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

liamog wrote: »

This also gives a great example of why I believe per minute charges make sense, nobody is going to dream of blocking that AC connector with a PHEV!

I own a PHEV and i am very proud of driving 40km a day emission free with a minimum cost.
    Using public chargers and it works fine.

For anyone that sees a black PHEv plugged in, i highly recomend stay away and dont get involved in any type of conversations on "charging etiquette" please.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

kaahooters wrote: »

No, that's an instructional video on using the charger, and while thats not a bad thing, it's the issue of people not realising they're being d1cks. Eg most don't have a clue about charge throttling above 80% in leaf etc. Stuff like that should be included.

• Advertisement

AhHaor wrote: »
    No, that's an instructional video on using the charger, and while thats not a bad thing, it's the issue of people not realising they're being d1cks. Eg most don't have a clue about charge throttling above 80% in leaf etc. Stuff like that should be included.

is that not included in the car documentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

One way to reduce hogging, is for charger to stop the charge at 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

k123456 wrote: »
    One way to reduce hogging, is for charger to stop the charge at 80%

80% is too arbitrary.

Depending on battery temp the car could be throttling long before that and you cant have a scenario where someone is plugging in and getting auto disconnected that then doesnt allow them to complete their journey or forces them to make another stop they hadnt planned.

The only real solution is more chargers (like we have petrol pumps today). You put as little or as much as you like into the car and it doesnt affect anyone else as there are plenty chargers available. Thats the only real long term solution... unfortunately its going to take time.

Introducing charging for charging will get rid of the locals and thats about it. We still need a halluva more chargers installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not much to do with charging etiquette really.
    If you think some people park in parking bays for people with disabilities when they have no right to do so also. If they dont care about the disabled then they are not going to care about you and your fancy electric juice machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rolion wrote: »
    I own a PHEV and i am very proud of driving 40km a day emission free with a minimum cost.

For anyone that sees a black PHEv plugged in, i highly recomend stay away and dont get involved in any type of conversations on "charging etiquette" please.

But i thought your Solar is free ? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I was at the Athlone Circle K last night.
    The CCS side of the circle k charger has a pump out of order sign wrapped around it.
    Maybe a vengeful leaf driver got at it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The short version :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm not particularly interested in lecturing people at chargers about etiquette. I'd much rather we just price out anti social behaviour as they do in Norway. As far as I'm concerned any car charging at fractions of the capacity of the charger is anti social behaviour. It doesn't matter whether you have a PHEV or are plugging a Leaf into the Type 2 connector instead of the CHAdeMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

very easy problem to fix, install chargers with lower capacity, which would be less expensive, so more can be installed.

when that happens no more anti social behaviour,

With your concern for the present capacity of chargers, at some stage there will be better cars with super duper charging rates and all other users will have to listen to the same crap over and over again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's exactly my thinking.

Charge 25c/min on the 50kW charger, 50c/min on the 150kW charger and have both available at a site.
    I prefer to design a system that encourages correct behaviour instead of relying on so called etiquette rules.

• Advertisement

Charge 25c/min on the 50kW charger, 50c/min on the 150kW charger and have both available at a site.
    I prefer to design a system that encourages correct behaviour instead of relying on so called etiquette rules.
    +1 on everything, couldnt agree more, lets put you in charge of the rollout please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

It seems that indeed CCS is broken in Circle K Athlone, here is a photo from today:

491159.jpg

It seems to be tied to charger so I was not able to inspect connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭JohnC.

An electricity pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

JohnC. wrote: »
    An electricity pump.

That’s what Ecotricity call them in the UK. :mad:

Here, I’ll just fill my tank with electrons. You can hear them sloshing around when you go around corners!

WTF is wrong with “charger”?

At least Circle K have the excuse that the sign they use would have been designed for an actual petrol pump, and it fits on the charger, people know what they mean, etc., but Ecotricity... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

How is it broken that quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭zg3409

eddhorse wrote: »
    How is it broken that quickly

It may not be broken, but as it is free and nearby CCS ionity is pay, they may have had lots of complaints from leaf owners queueing while CCS is in use. It may have been broken, it is easy to drive over connectors with a car, in many cases they make the cable short, to try prevent this.

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1 on everything, couldnt agree more, lets put you in charge of the rollout please!!

May i suggest double charges for charge if using a PHEV, at least guys... be consistent !

May i suggest double charges for charge if using a PHEV, at least guys... be consistent !

I've been very consistent, PHEVs are not a problem, under utilising any charger is the problem. Whether its a Leaf charging from 90% to 100% on CHAdeMO or an Ioniq pulling 6.6kW on the FastAC. All a simple problem solved by per minute fees.

I've been very consistent, PHEVs are not a problem, under utilising any charger is the problem. Whether its a Leaf charging from 90% to 100% on CHAdeMO or an Ioniq pulling 6.6kW on the FastAC. All a simple problem solved by per minute fees.

Thanks, no offence intended ...

Peculliar that since i have my Leaf i charge it public last time sometime in June and ive used public charger twice with my PHEV (slow and fast for testing the card and vehicle) since i signed the loan papers.

I will say bring the charges for the charging !
    Let the market decide cost,time and capacity.

Good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭zg3409

The Circle K M9 Kilcullen (between Junctions 2 and 3) will open to customers on Thursday, 24th October, it has been confirmed.

Electric Vehicle charging points

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/479987/circle-k-on-the-m9-near-kilcullen-hosting-open-day-with-customer-giveaways.html?fbclid=IwAR3-VaIppH9NOJNIYj79FH7kHWtiRdib41MDNVtDLNLfZUvZtUgKMleJ5bo

No mention of what chargers or who will supply them. Thoughts? Drone footage of site?!

Advertisement