Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Circle K chargers

Options
  • 13-09-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

It seems that new M6 service station comes with new Circle K charger, there is only one but 3 marked parking spaces. They are located in different place than Ionity chargers, much closer to the building entrance.490543.jpg
    490544.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Excellent many thanks for the info and pics. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

So that is 5 fast chargers on the one site. Nissan Leafs cannot use the ionity chargers (CCS only) at least they can use the 1 x Circle K charger. I hope they implement fees on this one soon, or CCS drivers will use the free charger and block leafs from charging, meanwhile the ionity sits idle! Hopefully the circle k fees will be higher than ionity to keep this charger available to chademo users. Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

zg3409 wrote: »
    So that is 5 fast chargers on the one site. Nissan Leafs cannot use the ionity chargers (CCS only) at least they can use the 1 x Circle K charger. I hope they implement fees on this one soon, or CCS drivers will use the free charger and block leafs from charging, meanwhile the ionity sits idle! Hopefully the circle k fees will be higher than ionity to keep this charger available to chademo users. Interesting times.

Strange thought process.
    The faster charging and greater availability should ensure people use Ionity.

I wouldn’t agree with a higher fee on the Circle K Chademo option. The unit will only charge to a max of 50kw and no use to the any of the CCS vehicles. If wouldn’t be fair to lob a higher cost on those who can’t access the Ionity units.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Irishjg wrote: »
    I wouldn’t agree with a higher fee on the Circle K Chademo option. The unit will only charge to a max of 50kw and no use to the any of the CCS vehicles. If wouldn’t be fair to lob a higher cost on those who can’t access the Ionity units.

The circle k has 50kw CCS for free. (and chademo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

50 Kw CCS would just be perfect for the new Ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

You have to pass free charger to reach Ionity, so I guess if it not occupied and car cannot charge above 50kW(or driver is patient) then it would not make sense to proceed to other chargers. They can save 8 euro and perhaps buy some coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Is this at Circle K off Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

McGiver wrote: »
    Is this at Circle K off Athlone?

Yes there is a new Circle K east of Athlone, opened last week

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

It's Exit 7 just before Moate (if heading towards Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

if it's free (cost wise) then I'd use it over Ionity unless I was in a rush. It's available for everyone, leafs don't get priority.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

September1 wrote: »
    You have to pass free charger to reach Ionity, so I guess if it not occupied and car cannot charge above 50kW(or driver is patient) then it would not make sense to proceed to other chargers. They can save 8 euro and perhaps buy some coffee.

Driving the Ioniq, using a high powered charger will save 10 mins compared to a standard 50kW rapid. Given the choice I'd probably use the free charger if it was available. €8 to save 10 mins doesn't seem economical. However if the chargers were occupied then I probably would. €8 to save 40 min seems OK.

Last time I was here there was CCS car charging, so it seems that people would rather keep those 8E or 40c/kWh.

ANd this is the problem with free charging

If, like Norway, the 50kW was 25c per min and the 350kW was 35-45c per min I'd use the 350kW unless my car could only take 50kW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

So am I correct in that there is no AC chargers provided at this site at all?

Alkers wrote: »
    So am I correct in that there is no AC chargers provided at this site at all?

I did not notice any, so I think there are none. I think they assumed that AC would be too slow for breaks on motorway and Zoe does not exist.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

liamog wrote: »
    Driving the Ioniq, using a high powered charger will save 10 mins compared to a standard 50kW rapid. Given the choice I'd probably use the free charger if it was available. €8 to save 10 mins doesn't seem economical. However if the chargers were occupied then I probably would. €8 to save 40 min seems OK.

Get the maingau card. €8 with ionity gets you a max of about 26kW from empty to 94%. €8 on maingau will get you 20kW. So arriving at the charger with anything over ~23% battery, and you're better off using maingau.

That said, the higher % battery you arrive with, the less time savings you get by paying to use the Ionity chargers.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

September1 wrote: »
    490544.jpg

HEY! E-CARS! TAKE NOTE! THIS IS AN APPROPRIATE LENGTH OF CABLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,082 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Indeed. Pity though none of either Ionity or ESB chargers are properly set out (like how we fill ICE cars). We have perfected this for nearly 100 years. Fuel filler cap (charge point) should be at the rear side either left or right. And charger should be either left or right. Not a bloody parking space :rolleyes:

Why some eejits decided to not follow this best practice is beyond me. I guess not the ESB is to blame here but the manufacturers of early EVs who decided the charge port should be at the front middle of the car. Like Nissan and Renault. That said, 10 years on now, Ionity should have known better.

This is how it should be done

station3-e1444094737886.jpg

You won't get any muppets ICEing the chargers then either. Same as you don't get anyone blocking up of spaces at fuel pumps. Everyone instinctively knows those are not parking spaces

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Get the maingau card. €8 with ionity gets you a max of about 26kW from empty to 94%. €8 on maingau will get you 20kW. So arriving at the charger with anything over ~23% battery, and you're better off using maingau.

That said, the higher % battery you arrive with, the less time savings you get by paying to use the Ionity chargers.

I use the Newmotion app. Unlimited Ionity charging for €7.60 and it can also start the eCars chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭this.lad

I use the Newmotion app. Unlimited Ionity charging for €7.60 and it can also start the eCars chargers.

Is there a transaction fee per use with newmotion? I looked at it before and seem to remember that unless you were a heavy user you'd be crippled with fees?

The unit cost with the maingau would still be better of you were carrying any bit of charge though i think anyway?

Will the new motion app allow you to activate an esb charging point that has a faulty screen and can’t reed your card ? It can be a right pain in the arse having to call the esb most of the time to get them to activate it remotely

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will the new motion app allow you to activate an esb charging point that has a faulty screen and can’t reed your card ? It can be a right pain in the arse having to call the esb most of the time to get them to activate it remotely

You can do that with the Bosch Charge My EV app.

No transaction fee that I've seen.

I really like the way NewMotion show predicted charging costs. I'm in France at the moment and there is a multi rapid charge with a per minute charge.

This also gives a great example of why I believe per minute charges make sense, nobody is going to dream of blocking that AC connector with a PHEV!

HvJ7HgS.jpg?1
    JIrtMt7.jpg?1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can do that with the Bosch Charge My EV app.

Start an ESB eCars session on a dodgy EFACEC triple head with the notorious card reader problem?

If so, that's handy to know!

unkel wrote: »
    Start an ESB eCars session on a dodgy EFACEC triple head with the notorious card reader problem?

If so, that's handy to know!

So it worked!

Coming back from a customer I had a few minutes to kill before picking up my daughter from school. At that very moment I drove past the Lucan fast charger and lo and behold nobody was charging :eek: Apart from a local in a B-class hogging the fast AC :rolleyes:

So started the charge via the app on my phone, plugged in the cable and it worked. Stopping through the app worked also. I even got emailed a PDF invoice a few minutes after I finished (zero value) :D

I must give it a go myself over the weekend. I’ve downloaded the app onto my phone.

unkel wrote: »
    So it worked!

Coming back from a customer I had a few minutes to kill before picking up my daughter from school. At that very moment I drove past the Lucan fast charger and lo and behold nobody was charging :eek: Apart from a local in a B-class hogging the fast AC :rolleyes:

So started the charge via the app on my phone, plugged in the cable and it worked. Stopping through the app worked also. I even got emailed a PDF invoice a few minutes after I finished (zero value) :D

So you decided to make it two local hoggers :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Could it be that new EV/PHEV buyers are not being correctly informed at purchase on how to use public charging points? Or what point to use or etiquette?

Hands up, I honestly haven’t a clue how to use one and haven’t used one yet. I’ve only used the one here at work. I’m meeting up with a fellow EV user over the weekend and I’ll probably fry his head with questions but at least when I do need to use one, I’ll know how to.

Maybe that B class driver was just told use anyone that’s available and the plugged into the one closest to where they parked??

I’d love to have even a small simple leaflet of the do’s and don’t of public charging

Advertisement