Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hopefully a line in now drawn in the sand now and more people come out and say No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Of course they are because it’s not a problem that affects them - they are more than happy to come online and show how woke they are though. Such pious little things.

He's making a point about people giving the wrong information on the make up of the protesters. It wasn't a working class revolution as one poster said.

Gatling wrote: »
    Hopefully a line in now drawn in the sand now and more people come out and say No

To the 1951 Refugee Convention and the 1967 Protocol? Dream on. You're fighting the tide and your anti-foreigner guff ain't working. It's a progressive country and you can join Canute on the shoreline.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    . You're fighting the tide and your anti-foreigner guff .

Anti foreigner scraping the oul barrel

Tell that to the fine people of oughterard who loud and proudly said No .

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Yep. Dropped by. It's 20 mins away. I'm not in favour of the protests but I've also no beef with the people of Oughterard.

Locals are posting on this thread. They'll also clarify the make up of the people. It's definitely not a class thing.

Ah right, fair enough. Just sick of people sticking their nose in, that probably never set foot in Oughterard, on about the far left and the far right and the working classes rising up and racists and bigots under every rock blah blah blah....

• Advertisement

Anti foreigner scraping the oul barrel

Tell that to the fine people of oughterard who loud and proudly said No .

Nope. Reflective of your posts.

I'd prefer the DPCs in the cities, my own included.

Refugees will always come here, and most people will make them feel welcome.

You can forge your own path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

To the 1951 Refugee Convention and the 1967 Protocol? Dream on. You're fighting the tide and your anti-foreigner guff ain't working. It's a progressive country and you can join Canute on the shoreline.

You’ll find progressive types are a minority here much like everything else they preach about. The majority are generally silent but piss us off enough and you’ll be put back in your box before you know it

I'd prefer the .

Unfortunately nobody cares in oughterard what you would prefer ,

Hopefully many more towns and villages follow the fine example set by the fine people of oughterard,

I'm sure they will be singing a few bars in powers tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,857 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

matt360 wrote: »
    Ah right, fair enough. Just sick of people sticking their nose in, that probably

Jaysus lad, practice what you preach, you were spreading falsehoods about the place today.

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus lad, practice what you preach, you were spreading falsehoods about the place today.

What exactly did I say?

• Advertisement

What exactly did I say?
    The family you mention was the family that owns it. People picketed outside the house as it is right beside the hotel so was on the picket line. The family came and went all day every day. They weren't hampered in anyway. The only people that were prevented from going in were workers and security guards. So the family started to drive them in and out. The only time there was any confrontation was when a man "collided" with a vehicle entering the hotel.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111395420&postcount=2973

Like I said, practice what you preach.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Hell yeah! The government has to realise it can't treat communities like this.

If you don't stand up to the government you end up like Germany, where 800 migrants were planted in a village of 100 people.

I don't get what you mean though. I was letting you know that the family you mentioned was the family that owns the hotel...

I don't get what you mean though. I was letting you know that the family you mentioned was the family that owns the hotel...

Yeah the point is they don't own it.

Yes they do

Migration industry absolutely seething over the result I see.

Yes they do

They don't, the lady that lives in the house is the daughter of the previous owner.

Where exactly are you from?
    Former hotel owner John Nolan expressed distress that the protest had also been mounted outside his daughter’s home, up a side road adjoining the hotel grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They do Boggles

Bullocks wrote: »
    They do Boggles

John Nolans daughter owns that hotel?

Please provide evidence of this my good man.
    Nolan said that he had no further financial interest in the premises, and said he had sold it “at a loss” to a group who had experience in running other “centres”.

You’ll find progressive types are a minority here much like everything else they preach about. The majority are generally silent but piss us off enough and you’ll be put back in your box before you know it

Have a look at the last few referenda. The regressives are fading away.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the last few referenda. The regressives are fading away.

You can be happy with gay marriage and still reject mass migration;)

Absolutely. However the poster said that 'progressive types are a minority here'. That's laughably off target.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭malinheader

That's if certain bodies have the manners to ask or inform them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »
    They do Boggles

John Nolans daughter owns that hotel?

Please provide evidence of this my good man.
    Nolan said that he had no further financial interest in the premises, and said he had sold it “at a loss” to a group who had experience in running other “centres”.
    Do you know where John Nolan was living during the protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Absolutely. However the poster said that 'progressive types are a minority here'. That's laughably off target.

I’m talking specifically about woke types like yourself, who want to soapbox on matters they have nothing substantial to contribute about. You fail to see any objective viewpoint but your own virtue signaling notions that every immigrant in to this country is a down on their luck case to be pitied, without viewing the bigger picture, or the concerns of the local people who’s opinions matter a ****ing lot more than yours do.

Imagine that

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’m talking specifically about woke types like yourself, who want to soapbox on matters they have nothing substantial to contribute about. You fail to see any objective viewpoint but your own virtue signaling notions that every immigrant in to this country is a down on their luck case to be pitied, without viewing the bigger picture, or the concerns of the local people who’s opinions matter a ****ing lot more than yours do.

Why on earth is someone not allowed to have an opinion without being called ‘woke’ ‘virtue-signalling’ and any other tripe names that originated from American far-right groups.

Like actually piss off and have a discussion without resorting to that ****e like you’re above everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why on earth is someone not allowed to have an opinion without being called ‘woke’ ‘virtue-signalling’ and any other tripe names that originated from American far-right groups.

Like actually piss off and have a discussion without resorting to that ****e like you’re above everyone.

It's amusing that those most oppossed to taking in immigrants have themselves adopted an entire vocab from across the atlantic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

In fact you could be all for gay rights and women's rights and be very very much in favour of being extremely choosy about who you let it, especially from certain cultures and countries.

• Advertisement

Nope. My role here was to counteract the (many) lies posted by the anti-immigrant crew. Easily achieved as no factual basis to any of the stuff. Gut feeling and irrational vexation are no substitute for facts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement