Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G&R Walrus sign-up

Options
  • 11-09-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by Green&Red.

Why are I doing this?
    I've enjoyed the previous Walrus's and anytime I'm on the farm I've headphones in, so some new playlists will go great

What sort of music am I into?

Very little I don’t listen to, started off as a big U2 fan, which I still am. Would have been very indie in school and college, Oasis, Embrace leading onto The Killers and later Arcade Fire. More adult pursuits gave me a greater appreciation of dance/techno/house. In later years I really enjoy folkie stuff, Mumford and sons being a stepping stone, visited Nashville last year and loved it, love my country music.
    Other than that, do like a bit of pop, some of it, classical I never got into, and enjoy a bit of gangsta rap (cause I’m OG obviously).
    I’ve tried to keep the categories as wide as possible to allow people pick what they like

Categories:
    1. A song with a name in it – simple, doesn’t even have to be in the title but preferably not just with a passing mention

2. A song with a number in it – see above

3. Something folkie/country – this one is for me, if you can introduce me to something I don’t know and like you’ll score very highly here

4. Song to come down the aisle to – got married recently, don’t remember much of the music but she came down the aisle to birdy’s Wings, blew me away. So doesn’t have to be overly soppy

5. A song off the first album you bought – I brought home definitely, maybe and my sister, in college at the time and thought she was very cool, asked me who are Oasis. Gimme a song off your first album

PM your choices, I’ll be listening on Spotify so just name will do. I’ll leave this open until Friday week, 20th September.

Edit: this is really hard to judge already, with that in mind if I don’t know a song it will score higher than one I do

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Definitely entering this. Will need to have a think about a few of these though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Really stuck on finding a country song. Well, one that isn't ****. This has rocked my world like a wagon wheel...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Banjo wrote: »
    Really stuck on finding a country song. Well, one that isn't ****. This has rocked my world like a wagon wheel...

Please dont do that to me

Folk will do, I'd even accept easy listening

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok all submitted. First few were just gut calls, last couple I needed to have a think about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Great - I was gutted to miss Molly's but should have time to get in this one, already have a few ideas

I presume you want a lengthy explanation for each choice :p

• Advertisement

Can i lie about the first album i bought good jesus, :o if not get ready to spice up your life.

I know its often said we regrert nothing here but as a first album purchase i may regret it

Can i lie about the first album i bought good jesus, :o if not get ready to spice up your life.

I know its often said we regrert nothing here but as a first album purchase i may regret it
    I expect the first album category to be horrendous!
    I will probably mix up the order so as not to end on this!

Great - I was gutted to miss Molly's but should have time to get in this one, already have a few ideas

I presume you want a lengthy explanation for each choice :p

Essays only

No one will ever guess my first album purchased :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    No one will ever guess my first album purchased :pac:

Surely one of...?

sec_47128802-068a.jpg

• Advertisement

My bad I forgot about spoiling the reveal :o

Surprisingly, no :D

I'll enter, but I also reserve the right to lie about the first album I bought. :p

Come to think of it, is this specifically the first album we bought with our own money, as opposed to gifts received as children?

I'll enter, but I also reserve the right to lie about the first album I bought. :p

Come to think of it, is this specifically the first album we bought with our own money, as opposed to gifts received as children?

Unfortunately that is what I entered :o

Yes, 100%, the first album you went out and consciously bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'm in.

Green&Red wrote: »

Do you have a preference on whether it's an actual album, or do compilations count?

I know I had a few "Now That's What I Call Music" ones before my first real album purchase. I know which ones and can find the track listing though!

Do you have a preference on whether it's an actual album, or do compilations count?

I know I had a few "Now That's What I Call Music" ones before my first real album purchase. I know which ones and can find the track listing though!

Well its which ONE but yes I'll allow compilations on the basis that its an album and you bought it

Well its which ONE but yes I'll allow compilations on the basis that its an album and you bought it

Cool, I know which one was first

Just looked at the listing and it's real dirge with a few diamonds poking out. I remember getting obsessed by one then and I still am now, choice made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Hopefully get a chance to enter this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'm in. PM sent. Great categories. I imagine I will second guess myself a lot but didn't want to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

What's the criteria if one has never actually bought an album? Do I have to go and buy one to enter? :)

Ah ok, you won't be getting one of Dustin the Turkey's classics then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Barney92 wrote: »
    What's the criteria if one has never actually bought an album? Do I have to go and buy one to enter? :)

Yes. Yes you do. :D

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Yes. Yes you do. :D

Interesting. Won't be able to enter just yet so. I'll have a look at the weekend :)

Showing your age :P but in the good way people like to show it

Showing your age :P but in the good way people like to show it

Oh it's not age related, purely interest related. My siblings had loads of albums but I never really listened to music or at least listened to it enough to make me want to go and buy an album or cd.

You’re pretty much in pole position then!

Oh it's not age related, purely interest related. My siblings had loads of albums but I never really listened to music or at least listened to it enough to make me want to go and buy an album or cd.

I’d be happy to make an exception and you can go for the first album you remember listening to

• Advertisement

I’d be happy to make an exception and you can go for the first album you remember listening to

Ah no G&R, I'll pick one up over the weekend to finally break the duck. Then I'll make a proper entry.

Advertisement