Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 2019

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

neon123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice for approaching smaller firms in the Dublin area? The competition for the large firms seems extremely stiff so these might be my best bet. Would it be generally difficult to get into the smaller firms due to their size or would they be open to given people a chance? Hoping to join a firm that would be more commercial orientated.

I certainly wouldnt be deterred from applying to the large firms just based on the level of competition, particularly if commercial law is your interest. Obviously just take the time to make the most of your skills and experience and tailor your application to the firm.

In my experience, I found the medium size firms quite unpredictable - like I was getting interviews in the big firms but often nothing back from smaller places i'd applied to. A bit hit or miss! But I guess each may be looking for different qualities and place different emphasis on education/working experience/extra curriculars. So I'd recommend applying widely - where the info wasnt available on a firm's website, I made phone inquiries as to their trainee recruitment process, relevant dates, and HR contacts etc.
    Hope that's of some help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Anyone know what to expect in an interview with Eversheds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Coffeelover13

Hi guys,

I have a TC for September 2022 and I graduated in 2020. At the time, I thought an extra year would be good (plus they didn’t offer me 2021, just 2022) but I’ve decided that 2021 would suit me much better. Does anybody know if firms are ever open to pushing TCs forward? I’ve heard of people pushing their contracts back but never forward...especially during Covid, it may be even more unlikely. :(

It’s a big 5 firm if that makes a difference (bigger intakes so maybe more flexibility!??)

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

Hi guys,

I have a TC for September 2022 and I graduated in 2020. At the time, I thought an extra year would be good (plus they didn’t offer me 2021, just 2022) but I’ve decided that 2021 would suit me much better. Does anybody know if firms are ever open to pushing TCs forward? I’ve heard of people pushing their contracts back but never forward...especially during Covid, it may be even more unlikely. :(

It’s a big 5 firm if that makes a difference (bigger intakes so maybe more flexibility!??)

Thanks! :D

anything i've heard is to the effect that it's near-impossible to move your contract forward, and doubly so during the pandemic. Would maybe be worth asking regardless, but i would imagine it'd be a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

Hi,

Wanted some advice from more ‘experienced’ people. I’m about to sit my FE1’s in 2 weeks time - and I don’t see myself being able to sustain this level of ‘motivation’ for the set in March, knowing that I have no training contract at the end of it.

Do people know if firms generally look at if a candidate has completed their FE1’s, or does having all 8 completed not make much of a difference? Have people completed say 4 FE1s and then not sat the rest until a training contract was secured?

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

law987 wrote: »
    Anyone know what to expect in an interview with Eversheds?

I never interviewed with Eversheds, but I attended their ‘insight’ day a while back.

The main things to avoid, is being nervous and not answering questions. They’ve said they prefer a candidate to take a minute or so to think before answering and give clear and concise answers.

They also made references to the fact that unlike other firms (AC) they don’t look for candidates to be ‘ruthless’. Basically they want to make sure you will fit well in whatever department you work in as a trainee.

Have answers prepared, but they advised against regurgitation (pretty much a given at any interview).

Oh and commercial awareness is a big aspect for them in the interview!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Hi,

Wanted some advice from more ‘experienced’ people. I’m about to sit my FE1’s in 2 weeks time - and I don’t see myself being able to sustain this level of ‘motivation’ for the set in March, knowing that I have no training contract at the end of it.

Do people know if firms generally look at if a candidate has completed their FE1’s, or does having all 8 completed not make much of a difference? Have people completed say 4 FE1s and then not sat the rest until a training contract was secured?

Not to be callous but I’d honestly suggest that you try to overcome that lack of motivation. Training contracts are not easy secured and if you’re set on the career then the sooner you get them the better really, unless you have other obligations or plans.

As regards the firms, I got interviews with 4 of the top 6 without ever having sat any and was successful. I think they’re more focused on the candidate themselves than where they’re at with the exams. I’m pretty sure they see the FE1s as a nuisance if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

Hi,

I get the impression that, as long as they can be confident that you will complete them by your start date, firms are not really concerned with FE1s. Having said that, some medium sized firms specify that you must have already passed all before you are eligible to apply.
    Bear in mind that most of the large firms are recruiting for 2022/3 onwards, whereas if you passed all by March you would be ready to start your training asap with a small/medium sized firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

They also made references to the fact that unlike other firms (AC) they don’t look for candidates to be ‘ruthless’.

Good luck!

I understand that that's sort of the AC perception but I had a really really lovely interview in which I don't think I showcased any ruthlessness or cut-throatedness - I think they sorta get a bit of a bad rap lol

Application for BW asks you to speak about who you admire (not in your fam!)
    Does anyone have any suggestions of who would be a good fit here? obviously wouldn’t want anyone too famous/cliche but also don’t want to get caught out on a question about something if I don’t know enough about the person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Anyone heard back from October applications yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Application for BW asks you to speak about who you admire (not in your fam!)
    Does anyone have any suggestions of who would be a good fit here? obviously wouldn’t want anyone too famous/cliche but also don’t want to get caught out on a question about something if I don’t know enough about the person!

a Judge in the High Court. But you would have to forensically kill every judgement that that person had made.

Advertisement