Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

In terms of firms wanting ‘commercial awareness’ - what proves this/what level of detail are they expecting and in what areas?

Was hoping to get a traineeship starting 2021 but so many firms are hiring for 2022/23 I’m very stressed ;(

Be aware of any big cases that are topical in the news around the time of your interview, be aware of the firm's clients, be aware of any new EU Regulations + the changes made to Irish legislation due to Covid, any big deals your selected firm may be working on, any awards they've won recently, etc. The more, the better!

Although, they're not going to expect a 21 year old to know the ins and outs of the legal world so maybe just prepare a few bullet points on each of the above. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Hi there! You sound like you have some solid experience imo. Sell your background in banking and litigation and express in your application that you want the opportunity to merge your experience in both industries, ideally in the banking department of a large corporate firm. Passing half of the FE1s will stand to you as it shows that you're ready to begin your legal career. I think your age will actually be more attractive to the corporate firms as it would make it seem as though you're more settled and less likely to go galavanting after a year or two.

Having said that, a legal exec/paralegal role would definitely be beneficial. Don't feel obliged to jump ship straight away, however I would certainly keep an eye out for any opportunities that might arise in the new year. Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback LawBoy, it’s nice to hear I might a have somewhat of a chance! I’ll be digging into applications over the coming weeks so we’ll see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Hi there! You sound like you have some solid experience imo. Sell your background in banking and litigation and express in your application that you want the opportunity to merge your experience in both industries, ideally in the banking department of a large corporate firm. Passing half of the FE1s will stand to you as it shows that you're ready to begin your legal career. I think your age will actually be more attractive to the corporate firms as it would make it seem as though you're more settled and less likely to go galavanting after a year or two.

Having said that, a legal exec/paralegal role would definitely be beneficial. Don't feel obliged to jump ship straight away, however I would certainly keep an eye out for any opportunities that might arise in the new year. Best of luck!

What would be the average age of Big 5 trainees starting their contracts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

What would be the average age of Big 5 trainees starting their contracts?

Around 24/25.

Hi folks, when you get to the point of an application where it asks for employment history is it ok to use bullet points when it asks for a description a particular role?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

neon123 wrote: »
    Hi folks, when you get to the point of an application where it asks for employment history is it ok to use bullet points when it asks for a description a particular role?

I’d say you’re better off just giving a concise breakdown of your duties etc rather than bullet points.

Anybody applying to London city firms?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Anybody applying to London city firms?

Are London city firms much harder to get into from Ireland ? Presume the fe1s are meaningless if applying to London ?

channing90 wrote: »
    Are London city firms much harder to get into from Ireland ? Presume the fe1s are meaningless if applying to London ?

Well there's more people applying but there's lots more firms available - not just big 5 big 10 you get in Ireland.

And yeah FE1s mean nothing. But they're qualification process is a lot easier.

I won't mention which one, but I remember getting rejected for a TC with one of the big 5 after an interview. I asked for some feedback, and I was told that the Partners apparently thought I had insufficient level of non-legal experience? (All the work experience I talked about related to legal).

I can laugh about it now but it really annoyed me at the time!

• Advertisement

I won't mention which one, but I remember getting rejected for a TC with one of the big 5 after an interview. I asked for some feedback, and I was told that the Partners apparently thought I had insufficient level of non-legal experience? (All the work experience I talked about related to legal).

I can laugh about it now but it really annoyed me at the time!

There's still hope so!:D

Has anyone looked at the application for Dechert? It’s all based on the U.K. education system - is the junior very the GSCE equivalent? Do they reeeally want my junior cert results from 11 years ago??

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Has anyone looked at the application for Dechert? It’s all based on the U.K. education system - is the junior very the GSCE equivalent? Do they reeeally want my junior cert results from 11 years ago??

No so the GCSE (and someone correct me if I am wrong) is more akin to leaving cert, you can then go on and take A levels in certain subject areas. If they are asking for GCSE it is your leaving cert.

awsah wrote: »
    No so the GCSE (and someone correct me if I am wrong) is more akin to leaving cert, you can then go on and take A levels in certain subject areas. If they are asking for GCSE it is your leaving cert.

No the GCSE is equivalent to the JC. A level is equivalent to the Leaving Cert.

That's why Leaving Cert is used for A Level results if you apply for college in the UK, like JC for the GCSE

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

No the GCSE is equivalent to the JC. A level is equivalent to the Leaving Cert.

That's why Leaving Cert is used for A Level results if you apply for college in the UK, like JC for the GCSE

I don't think it's as simple as that though, I believe students spend longer on GCSE that junior cert so it would be higher than JC but lower that LC. A levels are higher than LC, not technically equivalent in terms of substance, not in terms of college applications. Usually people take more GCSE subjects. I would be surprised if the company was looking for JC results over LC, but I would be interested to know if that is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Probably safe enough to assume we enter our JC results for that section all the same

awsah wrote: »
    I don't think it's as simple as that though, I believe students spend longer on GCSE that junior cert so it would be higher than JC but lower that LC. A levels are higher than LC, not technically equivalent in terms of substance, not in terms of college applications. Usually people take more GCSE subjects. I would be surprised if the company was looking for JC results over LC, but I would be interested to know if that is the case!

They're not looking for JC over LC, they're looking for both. If they're asking for your GCSE or equivalent, don't put in LC. It's your JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hillary_2314

Does anyone know why MHC would require a photo in the applications?

Does anyone know why MHC would require a photo in the applications?

They're going to chuck out the applications of the ugly people.

Just kidding, I think it's for identification purposes for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 s.molly

Hey guys, I've been reading this thread and I'm wondering if I could get a bit of perspective on my situation as I haven't come across anyone in the same boat.

I graduated from an arts degree in 2015 with a 2:2 after 4 long years of battling with mental health issues. I was surprised I finished the degree at all. After taking a year out to get better and sort myself out. I wanted to go back to college and give it a proper shot so I repeated my leaving cert when I was 23 and got into law in UCD.

Now that I'm finishing up I'm wondering how to go about presenting my application. Do I disregard my first degree? There would be no gaps in my CV if I did and I'm wondering how relevant they are. Then again firms do ask for educational history which I assume would include my first degree. I'm also worried that they'll see my first degree and send me an automatic PFO. Even though I've been on a strong 2:1 for all my years in UCD. I also have 4 FE-1s under my belt

I have experience working in small law firms doing internships but I'm not sure how to present my education when applying for firms. Does anyone have any advice?

• Advertisement

s.molly wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been reading this thread and I'm wondering if I could get a bit of perspective on my situation as I haven't come across anyone in the same boat.

I graduated from an arts degree in 2015 with a 2:2 after 4 long years of battling with mental health issues. I was surprised I finished the degree at all. After taking a year out to get better and sort myself out. I wanted to go back to college and give it a proper shot so I repeated my leaving cert when I was 23 and got into law in UCD.

Now that I'm finishing up I'm wondering how to go about presenting my application. Do I disregard my first degree? There would be no gaps in my CV if I did and I'm wondering how relevant they are. Then again firms do ask for educational history which I assume would include my first degree. I'm also worried that they'll see my first degree and send me an automatic PFO. Even though I've been on a strong 2:1 for all my years in UCD. I also have 4 FE-1s under my belt

I have experience working in small law firms doing internships but I'm not sure how to present my education when applying for firms. Does anyone have any advice?

The firms will definitely understand if you explain the health issues that causes the results of your first degree. They always have a place to explain mitigating circumstances. If they're careless you might get an automatic PFO because they get so many applicants to go through but I think any reasonable person could see an understandable reason for your results.

Not to mention, the first degree was not law related, and you've done well in your law degree anyways. I don't think you should be worried about that. Just do your best, and if you get a chance, ask for some feedback to see where you could have improved. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

s.molly wrote: »

Your story is quite compelling and it shows real grit and ambition, two extremely sought after qualities by law firms. If there's only space in your application for one undergraduate degree, I would give your UCD results and then at the bottom in the box provided, explain how you previously completed your first degree. I'm not sure if you need to mention your mental health problems, though? That seems a bit personal imo. Mental health issues are probably cited regularly by applicants trying to explain their less than perfect grades (harsh, but true).

There's nothing wrong with getting a 2.2 degree and many a solicitor found themselves in the same boat as you + went on to have a fantastic career. I would instead paint a picture whereby you graduated from your first degree, but knew you had the potential/passion to give third level education another shot. Did you study law in your arts degree? If not, you should explain to them why you decided to pursue a career in law and express how you would stop at nothing to achieve your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Hey, bit of a random one, I'm looking for advice re references on a CV. Should I put them in or put a statement e.g. references available on request instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Does anyone here know why there are so few Judges in this country? Per 100,000 of the population, Ireland has 3.2 Judges; Germany has 24.4; Italy has 11.0; France has 10.7; Greece, 18.0; Finland, 18.0 and U.K. has 3.5 (and also has lay Justices).
    Is there any limit on the numbers of Solicitors and Barristers here?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

holliek wrote: »
    Hey, bit of a random one, I'm looking for advice re references on a CV. Should I put them in or put a statement e.g. references available on request instead?

I generally just say references available on request. I know others who include them. My CV is quite long as I had a few part time jobs so that's the main reason why for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

I would generally say available on request. Allows you more space to emphasise and elaborate on relevant parts of your cv but also means you can notify your referees, out of courtesy, when they can expect to be contacted by your prospective employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Unless you need to fill out your CV there is no need to say it, its a given they will be asking for referees

Your story is quite compelling and it shows real grit and ambition, two extremely sought after qualities by law firms. If there's only space in your application for one undergraduate degree, I would give your UCD results and then at the bottom in the box provided, explain how you previously completed your first degree. I'm not sure if you need to mention your mental health problems, though? That seems a bit personal imo. Mental health issues are probably cited regularly by applicants trying to explain their less than perfect grades (harsh, but true).

There's nothing wrong with getting a 2.2 degree and many a solicitor found themselves in the same boat as you + went on to have a fantastic career. I would instead paint a picture whereby you graduated from your first degree, but knew you had the potential/passion to give third level education another shot. Did you study law in your arts degree? If not, you should explain to them why you decided to pursue a career in law and express how you would stop at nothing to achieve your goals.

Thanks so much for this. I really needed to hear that as I was thinking of throwing in the training contract towel!

The firms will definitely understand if you explain the health issues that causes the results of your first degree. They always have a place to explain mitigating circumstances. If they're careless you might get an automatic PFO because they get so many applicants to go through but I think any reasonable person could see an understandable reason for your results.

Not to mention, the first degree was not law related, and you've done well in your law degree anyways. I don't think you should be worried about that. Just do your best, and if you get a chance, ask for some feedback to see where you could have improved. Best of luck.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any advice for approaching smaller firms in the Dublin area? The competition for the large firms seems extremely stiff so these might be my best bet. Would it be generally difficult to get into the smaller firms due to their size or would they be open to given people a chance? Hoping to join a firm that would be more commercial orientated.

Advertisement