Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI World Road Race Championships 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

[url] https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/eekhoff-devastated-and-mad-at-world-championships-disqualification/?__twitter_impression=true [/url]

He crashed, dislocated his shoulder, got it put back in, had a mechanical then from the crash also.......... And they still DQ'd him........ Man alive,

And there were still 124km to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

It seems harsh, he obviously was drafting behind the cars for a fair bit and got a very sticky bottle but it happened with 125km to go so they really had plenty of time to review and take action on the road.He was under investigation fairly soon after finishing (less than 15-20 minutes) so it was hardly something that came out of the blue.

No mention of Pidcock being disqualified for apparent illegal bike change. If I remember correctly bike change has to come from the cars behind not from a car in front or static mechanic on side of the rode. I think Adam Blythe was a victim of this rule for AquaBlue a cuple of seasons ago.

Yeah the service has to take place behind not in front.

Did Eekhoff draft his own car? Usually they will get a tow from the other teams and theres no issue. Was it Tommy D who got a tow from his own car at the Giro and copped a fine and a time penelty?

Very very harsh DQ imo. Typical UCI though in terms of consistency of the application of the rules, if this wasn't the worlds then he'd have his gold medal.

Certainly nowhere near as bad as the sticky bottle that got Moscon I think it was DQ'd 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

After letting half the peleton draft in the vuelta this seems very harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Very harsh indeed, but took them 45 minutes of footage review and deliberations, so they probably dit it thoroughly.

Watched the whole thing again and I think I saw him having a very sticky bottle as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rider from Iceland in the women's race. Think that's the 1st time I've ever seen or heard of a rider from Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Why am I getting no commentary from Eurosport on their App

TGD wrote: »
    Why am I getting no commentary from Eurosport on their App

There are 2 feeds, try the other one. I've Carlton and Jo on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

neris wrote: »
    Rider from Iceland in the women's race. Think that's the 1st time I've ever seen or heard of a rider from Iceland

Also a riders from Kuwait . Got dropped after about 4 kms of racing . Pointless .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Seems like a crazy early time to be going alone for the Dutch one. Weird how the race can break up so easily. Wonder will the second group get back to the first small chase bunch.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a badly designed course putting the only climb of note at 100kms from the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Itziger wrote: »
    Sounds like a badly designed course putting the only climb of note at 100kms from the finish.

It's not there to decide the race, it's just to make sure the strongest riders are there or thereabouts at the end.... which is what is happening in fairness.

EC1000 wrote: »
    It's not there to decide the race, it's just to make sure the strongest riders are there or thereabouts at the end.... which is what is happening in fairness.

In a men's race they could put the Tourmalet at that distance from the finish and it wouldn't decide the race!!

Much more standard to see such a climb at say 40k out though. Anyway, looks academic here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Having looked at this I don’t think Eekhoff can have any complaints. He was seriously taking the p!ss.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-releases-footage-of-eekhoff-drafting-video/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

griffin100 wrote: »
    Having looked at this I don’t think Eekhoff can have any complaints. He was seriously taking the p!ss.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-releases-footage-of-eekhoff-drafting-video/

Looks like he was behind his team car for at least 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Elite Womens Race:
    Annemiek Van Vleuten I doff my bonnet to you. To go solo with more than 100km to ride and have enough time at the end to spend a few km smiling and waving to the crowd is astonishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Yet another incredible performance from her. I love that woman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

just saw the extended video of the dutch under 23 winner slipstreaming car

he doesnt seem to hold car at any stage

If this is the new criteria the whole of the bunch will be disqualifed in next years tour de france
    is it a coincidence that his disqualification gave a home rider a bronze!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

wpd wrote: »
    just saw the extended video of the dutch under 23 winner slipstreaming car

he doesnt seem to hold car at any stage

If this is the new criteria the whole of the bunch will be disqualifed in next years tour de france
    is it a coincidence that his disqualification gave a home rider a bronze!!

If you like conspiracy theories, the UCI jury who made the decision were apparently a Belgian (not the greatest Dutch fans) an Italian (eventual champion) and a Britain, (3rd)...............hmmmmm

Still think it was the right decision, he totally took the piss with that drafting, albeit very early in the race

I have to say having seen that new video I've lost some sympathy for him, a tow like that from your own car is taking the piddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I just hope that the apply the same rule in future in all races

this says it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvnxisapjq0

Unregistered Users

Anyone knows if UCI rules determine how long rider is allowed to ride on the car's bumper?

The footage shows 2m19s, in fact it looks like it was even longer.

https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/1177926227983765504

Wouldn't it be something if we saw something like this tomorrow

Wouldn't it be something if we saw something like this tomorrow

Not only was I there but I jumped the barriers and congratulated Roche a few mins after finishing. I distinctly remember he looked at me as if to say, Am I supposed to know you? That or, Who da fook are you?

Probably my top sporting memory I think. The atmosphere was fantastic after a ****ty wet night camping. And when we realised we had to pay to get onto the circuit (I was a student at the time) we nearly turned on our heels. Luckily we didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Race has been shortened a bit to 261 Km due to the weather

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1178194333058699264

Seven Worlds will Collide

285kms, in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sprinters have a better chance now

Dennis on a red BMC

Unregistered Users

Does BMC mean Bahrain Merida Cycling now? :D

;)

• Advertisement

Carapaz, Roglic and Quintana in a break, this is why I love the worlds, you get fella riding a totally different race than they normally would.

Advertisement