Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Alternatively, look at the competition. ESB: 43c/kWh, EasyGo: 45c/kWh

60c/kWh is certainly out of sync in the market.

It will be interesting to see if their rates are flat accross all sites and what that will mean for ESB colocated sites.

It depends what we consider fast charging in 2022. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a top up at that rate if we were talking about 100+kW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I wonder if they're pricing it similar to the Tesla SuC prices at Birdhill - they don't want all those Teslas moving over to the Applegreen charger because it's cheaper.

Although, for 61c/kWh on the SuC you could get up to 150+kW charge instead of a ~50kW one. I know which one I would choose (truthfully, neither at those prices ... but if push comes to shove! 🤔)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Alternatively, look at the competition. ESB: 43c/kWh, EasyGo: 45c/kWh

Those are sub par networks in comparison to what Applegreen are trying to do (roll out proper hubs like Tesla/Ionity), and they are priced accordingly...

I know when I'm driving somewhere outside of the Tesla network, and if I need a charge and dont want to queue, I'd be navigating to a €0.60/kWh Applegreen site with 8 CCS chargers before I'd consider navigating to a €0.45/kWh eCars site with 2 CCS plugs (but potentially only 1 CCS plug if a Leaf is using the 50kW unit).

€1/kWh wouldn't seem too unreasonable if it meant a guaranteed charge at 150+kW with no queuing required.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Easygo and ecars are likely to increase prices pretty soon. domestic prices are at or near 40c, peak pricing on smart meters are higher, and commercial pricing now exceeds 50c for day rates.

Agree with your 150+ vs 50 charging, there should be a price difference there too. We dont want teslas on the 50kW for 2 hours and we dont want leafs blocking HPC

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Birdhill is not 8x CCS though, far from it. For now at least, it is no level above ESB/EasyGo and so I still believe that is a high price for the site.

As I said, that price at a rapid charger at the likes of the future Ballymount site I would have no issue with.

I would happy to spend the bit more at a hub site, the likes of the renders they have published. That at least would be a high capacity site for a dedicated purpose which you would hope would be relatively immune to ICEing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's not free solar though is it? You paid a good lump of money to have panels installed, didn't you? As for general home charging and your 7c rate you need a driveway which not every living quarters in the country has

You need none of the above with dino juice

I hasten to add that this price is based on an app that's not been officially launched yet so it's not 100% certain. Has anybody used the Birdhill site recently to confirm the price?

It's free now following the sunk cost fallacy. I'd have solar anyway, so incrementally the free kWh going into the car cost nothing further. You could of course ammortize the cost of the panels into the cost?

If you can't charge at home then you shouldnt get an EV anyway.

If you can't charge at home then you shouldnt get an EV anyway.

What should people who can't charge at home do then?

Wait until someone comes in and installs an adequate public charging network, like what they have in mainland Europe.

They'll be waiting a while, and at 60c a unit, there won't be much incentive to make the jump if/when that does happen

• Advertisement

Either use a public network, which is too much hassle, or buy a house where they have a driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stick to ICE and hound the management company or council to install chargers they can use. So they can move to an EV

You don’t do your weekly shopping in a corner shop.

you don’t do your regular charging at a fast charger or indeed public charger.

Wise words, however without the ability for these people to move to EVs the uptake will slow and people might actually move back to ICE from EV

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I do, and it works fine. How long have you been driving an EV without your own charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think 60c/kWh is a bit steep for 2x 50kW chargers, but maybe Applegreen are ahead of some oncoming price hikes from ESB and Easygo.

I'd say for the HPCs they're installing, 60c/kWh sounds like a good price

Like I've said, you get what you pay for. You can go cheap and risk queueing at the ESB charger, or pay the premium and not have to queue at another provider

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

They could also be preparing to upgrade the chargers, since they already have the grid connection, and they're pricing it to match

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If the Govt is serious about EVs then making provision for drivers to use up to 100 percent public charging as required.

Will need to be on the table.

The key to it will be looking at where people park their cars not just at home but also the places they go to in their cars....

Big aim is to develop the concept of charging your car while naturally doing other things.

For example if I need to go to Patrick Street in Cork 3 times a week then in the future Merchant's Quay car park could have chargers. And id charge the car while parked there.

We haven't really scratched the EV charging possibilities in a future Ireland at all imo....

We might even have mobile charging where a fella in a van with a battery in the back charges your car while parked....

Never, I charge at home over night and couldn’t fathom going to a public charger several times a week.

plenty of new EVs added each week. Enjoy sharing a charger with them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It always gets me that the people who say it doesn't work are the ones with zero experience. They are as bad as the people who've never owned an EV and claim they couldn't possibly replace an ICE vehicle. There seems to be multiple people managing, and it's these customers who result in network expansions, not the blow-ins who might charge 3 times a year.

Meanwhile in the actual world companies like Applegreen rolling out chargers is a great improvement and makes the situation much easier for everyone. I only hope that Applegreen federate with the subscription providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It looks much trickier if the charging network is sub par as it is in Ireland....

But individual circumstances are crucial here.

Workplace charging for example is almost as good as home charging if you work 5 days a week....

Also its fair for someone in Donegal to say that the infrastructure is too poor for 100 percent public charging.

But what if your local area is Loughrea which is quite good by Irish standards....

That's why individual circumstances are key and also the individual motivation is overlooked.

Someone who really wants an EV is more likely to make 100 percent public charging work in lets say Cork.

Then a diesel driver who is half heartedly trying out the tech because their employer told them to go EV on their company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

There is a quote I red sometimes in a different century

Bad weather always looks worse through a window

If you're not getting out there you can't actually experience it. With all due respect to those saying the EVs are suitable for those with driveway access, this idea is nothing but allowing the status quo to continue. Evolution needs forces to push boundaries. Personally I do not accept "I can't be done" and I'm more of "challenge accepted" kind. Its 3 1/2 years since I got my first EV. Over 4 years ago I engaged with property management agent regarding installing a charger. Last week the board of management approached me to let me know they apply for the grant, bypassing the agent. Who knows how many months will pass until I actually see it done. I understand life is much easier with your own charger but easy life is boring. I may be lucky but since I got my first EV the charging infrastructure around me improved, having a DC charging at a close enough Lidl, DC charger close to work, Supercharger 5 minutes driving, 10 AC free chargers within walking distance. Another SuC coming 5 minutes to work. In 3 1/2 years I drove around 100k km and I don't want to get into the financial advantages as I may start feeling guilty. For me ICE are DED and even if driving electric would cost me as much as petrol I would still choose electric.

I see a fair few cars regularly plugged into the AC in my local Tesco and they seem to be managing just fine. Tesla's, Polestars, Leaf's plus many more...

Theres 1 car started using it now but only because they've parked a caravan on their driveway and can no longer access their own power source...

Reminds me of the ZipchargeGo for business idea, pull into merchants quay, grab one of these from a central location, plug in and charge while you're gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

Timeline seems optimistic. Do they need planning and can we see applications for m1?

Planning isn't required for the charging units thanks to lobbying by eCars

They might need planning permission if there's additional power supply needed to the site, depends on how many chargers they want to install

I heard somewhere that the TII sites have something like 100kW or more already installed for EV charging, to support the existing 50kW charger plus a new one. No idea if it's true

Presumably Castlebellingham would be fine since they already have Superchargers on site, Lusk might need an upgrade however if they're installing a proper hub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

The triples use 100kW supply already. 50kW DC + 43 kW AC SO not much left.

• Advertisement

Really? I thought they had 2 22kW supplies and the AC would take one of active, otherwise they both fed the DC side?

If they do have 100kW then I'm even more annoyed now that ESB never replaced them with units that could charge 2 cars on DC in parallel. That would fix about 90% of the queueing problems

Advertisement