Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, they have 100kW, this is how you can charge a Zoe and a CCS/Chad car at the same time. I put a couple of photos on plugshare (including one at coynes cross) where the 50kW was delivering 80+kW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

There is the situation where a triple is limited to 50kW as it replaced an old 43kW DC. An example is Templeville. Supply never upgraded so the DC and AC are sharing 50/50 making for two awkward charging sessions of 25kW on DC and whatever the car can take on AC. But very important for statistics where "up to 2 cars can charge at one time". Waste of money and resources, like the HPC in Portlaoise limited to 50kW for a couple of weeks since summer of 2020(?). However, most of the triples are connected to 100kW supply, with the AC taking 50ish and most likely underutilised as 43AC cars are probably in order of tens. Efacec units are unable to share the DC unlike to ABB units Applegreen is installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did they ask? It's easy to not get permission if they never bothered to engage with Applegreen 🙂

Maybe I'm being unfair to Ecars, but they seem to have no shortage of excuses for not upgrading sites, or botching the sites they do upgrade

Anyway, more chargers on the M1 can only be a good thing, so fingers crossed that Applegreen can roll them out soon

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's been plenty of talk of Applegreen blocking any deployments on their sites for a good while now. Similarly, Applegreen did the same for a very long time with Gridserve at Welcome Break sites in the UK (which they own). The fuel station operators clearly don't want to co-operate with a competitor, at least they are now taking charging seriously and rolling out infrastructure of their own, they had a strong hand with site ownership, and they've played to win.

• Advertisement

The dozen Zoe owners with the fast AC charging are laughing. They've just about got one charger each in the whole country 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Heard the other day that there's about 300 such Zoe's in the country, 43kW is slow by today's standards but never having to queue is a massive benefit

Don't forget the applegreen in Waterford that famously (if you lived in the area) kicked ecars out last year... Ecars for their part didn't move the charging station to a nearby location so arguably nobody was right in this instance

Did he kick them out? I got the impression it was more of a mutual breakup

I'm not sure I'd take the Waterford looney's behaviour as part of some concerted effort on the part of Applegreen. He didn't seem like much of a team player anyway

If what you say is true and the franchisee isn't a team player then applegreen should revoke his license as his actions reflect very badly on the company

Then again maybe his actions are perfectly in line with applegreen's policy on electric vehicle charging and the franchisee at Coynes Cross isn't being a team player in this regard

It's happening in every AG site so it isnt the franchisee

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He submitted planning permission for a site upgrade almost immediately after eCars left the site, and it included chargers, so he probably had that in his back pocket during his silly games with eCars.... in that he knew that Applegreen would likely subsidise a charger for him, and under better terms than he had with eCars...

It's an easy install too as there's already grid connection there.

Anyone been past here lately and seen any site upgrade works?

The planning permission was submitted in March '21 the charger wasn't removed until much later than that. The pp didn't represent a change in the site EV charging, it covered the existing two spaces. I think the link between the two is incidental at best.

It's not happening at every AG site, it isn't happening at any in Limerick for example

I was there last weekend, no sign of any new chargers, had to go to the chargers in Waterford City

It's not happening at every AG site, it isn't happening at any in Limerick for example

Is there an Applegreen site in Limerick with a 3rd part party charging operator?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Paulstown Applegreen services an hour or so ago. The boxed charger says 2 x CCS, couldn't see label on second one..

Okay if Applegreen keeps this up we'll have nothing to complain about soon 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Perfect location in Paulstown for a real charging hub for the M9 which is currently the worst served motorway by far!

Hopefully they put in about 12 chargers there

From the pedestals it looks like 2 chargers for now, gonna guess a double CCS and CCS+Chademo combo

On the bright side, it looks like 4==4 in Applegreen world

Unlike ESB who set 4=3 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

2 double chargers in boxes at site, I would say your assumption is correct..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does Paulstown get very busy? I've only been there once and it didn't seem like there was a lot of parking. I hope it's not the kind of place that fills up and they get ICEd.

That being said, I've just compared it with what's on Google Maps, and it looks like a new additional area of parking which was an area of grass, so it's not even taking away from the existing parking.

• Advertisement

I've been there a couple of times a few years back. It didn't seem too busy, there was always parking available so hopefully it'll be okay

Not sure what it's like these days though

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Until we see the pricing. I'm on a fixed price tariff from Energia, but only today looked at what home energy prices are these days. 🤯 Public charging will be ludicrous pricing!

True, Ionity is looking like quite the bargain these days

If I'm going to make some bets, they'll aim cheaper than Ionity but more expensive than ESB. Probably around 55-60c/kWh

Applegreen have made a business out of selling petrol at a minimal profit and making money from coffee and cakes. I could see them continuing the same model for EV charging

By my count that’s 10 HPC’s installed by Applegreen in the last number of weeks…

eCars have probably done 10 in the last 18 months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It seems it's much easier to get space for your charging spots when the operator and the site owner are the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

I see they're installing 2 units on the M9 at Paulstown - good spot.

People always complain about the m9 being a black hole for charging (can't see why as theres a HPC) so hopefully this will help that

Kilcullen is a sh1tshow, and its too far from Waterford for me to be useful..... Paulstown will be an ideal spot., and with at least 3 CCS plugs, there's a much better chance of finding an available plug than there is at Kilcullen..... Add to that just up the road you'll also have the 2 CCS plugs at the Circle K and suddenly the M9 looks to be a much safer bet to traverse without needing to queue...

I don't care what Applegreen charge per kWh... I'll still plan on stopping there on the 2-3 times a year I visit Waterford.... as 3 CCS plugs is a much much much safer bet than the 1 (or maybe 2 - sometimes) CCS plugs available in Kilcullen

• Advertisement

Yes I hear you on the paying more for more plugs per site, I often go to Ionity when there's no Tesla chargers en route for that reason, over easygo or ecars.

Advertisement