Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's great that you aren't interested in motorway service station charging. The thread is about a service station operators deployment of a charging network so it's not all that surprising that it is the focus of the discussion.

Motorway EV chargers appeal to people who drive electric cars and need to charge them on a longer journey. I'm not sure "sometimes it will be used too much" is a good argument against Applegreen investing in them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Coynes Cross up and running…

……

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You need to get a photo of a Leaf struggling to plug in from the right hand space because the cable doesn't reach

Designed by accountants, and installed by idiots, good riddance 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

4 spaces!!!!

They're doing it wrong 🤣

70c/kWh for 180kW is a fine price, considering Ecars' recent good news

I assume they're load balanced, so they'll limit to 90kW max if two cars are plugged in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Yeah Coyne's Cross 70c/kwh and Birdhill 60c/kwh although 50kw chargers.

But my app shows 60c/kwh for all charger types 🤔

Post edited by vinniem on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Can you start all the Applegreen chargers with a credit card? I'm sure it's been answered already, but not easy to search anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

The ones in birdhill you could but broken from time to time, coynes cross seems to have the option but a piece of paper over it says use the app so coynes cross may not yet have that option working.

Good to see the pricing on a sticker. Maybe the esb unit will get a big price sticker saying discount over here in the bold corner.

On easygo if the charger has the option it costs more due to card fees and mark up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What an absolute joke, can't believe they'd install a hub like this with just 3 CCS connectors and 4 spaces. 😉

Paulstown on the M9 could do with opening fairly soon... (from my own selfish point of view). Would make the Christmas trek down to Waterford so much more stress free....

If Applegreen can get these 3 sites all up and running within a few weeks of each other (Coynes Cross, Paulstown & Ballymount), plus maybe start on a few more, it'll be a massive statement of intent that finally a competent operator has arrived on our forecourts..

I'm guessing when they ordered these ABB units they ordered in bulk for a better rate? They've 10 in already... maybe 2 more in Birdhill to replace the permalinks broken 50kW ones?? Then the looney down in Waterford? he should get 1-2 of these units too!

• Advertisement

I'd be in favour of putting some at the looney's station, if they put the chargers either side of the shop door

That way when he fences them off again he'll block off his own shop as well 😁

I'm really hoping they get a few installations going along the M1, again for selfish reasons, but those TII sites need some proper charging facilities (for non Teslas)

Agree on the M1 - Castlebellingham is an embarrassment.... I've seen 3-4 cars queuing to use the single 50kW charger on either side..... on the main route between the 2 biggest cities on the island!!

I fear though that nothing will happen there until Tesla are ejected and suddenly Applegreen have all that lovely grid connection at their disposal.

I think you're right about Castlebellingham, although there's enough parking that they could share the site. It'd be easy enough for Applegreen to put in 4 of those ABB units and they'd probably be able to share the grid connection 90% of the time

Hopefully they do something at Lusk as well to help drivers coming the other way, although if Circle K get Clonsaugh built soon then that'll likely be the preferred charging stop

Guys how many chargers going into Paulstown? Hoping its same as Coyne's Cross setup🤞 also we have CircleK on M9 Carlow soon

Yes, its the same 2 units like in Coynes Cross, so 3x CCS & 1x C HAdeMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

What's the story with the Ballymount Industrial Estate chargers? Surprised they are still not active in the app after all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

Grid upgrades can take 6 months. They may want touch to pay by credit card to be working and any niggles sorted out at coynes cross before they launch and cut ribbon etc.

It's hard to know what they delay is, try ringing the helpline number displayed on the coynes cross chargers...

Was in Waterford this morning. Dropped into 'our friends' Applegreen on old Cork Road. Nothing to report, but some new concrete work going on at rear of his premises, wall knocked down behind previous ECars charging area.

Even waited around a few minutes, normally he appears out of nowhere...😉

Did they move that shed that he probably lived in? 😂

• Advertisement

I don't think so, I think it's knocked through just to the right of the old shed.

Should have taken pic, he definitely then would have appeared..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Given the obvious Applegreen target market.

Then I can understand the 70 cent per kwh.

Aim of the game is use what you need to complete a journey etc.

Not everyday charging.

However at some point I'd love to see someone set out to offer cheaper prices than the other CPOs - to kick off competition.

Market conditions not there for it yet of course and unfortunately EV thinking is still in a "most people charge at home most of the time" mindset.

Generally anyone using public charging exclusively does well out of the subscription plans

For example the We Charge Plus plan give a fixed 47c/kWh for DC chargers. Doesn't work for Applegreen yet but hopefully soon

We definitely need more charging hubs in cities and towns though. Whether they should be DC hubs or kerbside AC is up for debate, but either would be better than the current situation

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Is We Charge Plus available for non Volkswagen cars?

No but there is a similar deal from Elli

Scroll down to Drive Highway, seems the same but slightly higher monthly payments

There's also other charging providers, I think Bonnet was pretty popular until recently

You might get a special deal from your car manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone had an issue getting a verification code for the app? I'm with Vodafone.

Might make a pitstop on coynes cross on my way home to test the new chargers out while I grab a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭eltoastero

Same issue, tried 3 times (different cards) and it crashed each time at the last step (a €1 charge was put on my cards each time, each have since been reverted). I plan on trying again in a few days. I'm interested in trying out the Coynes Cross setup

I had issues on the weekend getting the verify text but sorted this morning.

Only two sites on the app so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭eltoastero

Can confirm that registration worked this morning. I can see someone is charging in Coynes Cross (from the app), good to see it's working - I assume it's one of ye

• Advertisement

Registration worked for me first time as well, that was a few days ago

I assume their servers got overloaded from the bunch of us registering in excitement

Advertisement