Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Enniscorthy

Options
  • 05-09-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hey all just wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on Enniscorthy. Me my parthner and our daughter (1yr) are planning on a house there we have been to the town a few times now and on paper it looks like a great place to live. We noticed a few nice houses with very good prices and decided to investigate one recently, Needless to say the estate itself looked quite rough with little locals living in it anymore. Just wondering what is your feedback as people living in the town we are aiming to live around lidl/aldi. Just throw me some story's and personal opinions of what life is like and the estates are like.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What is the name of the estate? Then us locals can give you more information and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

What is the name of the estate? Then us locals can give you more information and advice.

It was ashgrove, the paddocks.

It was ashgrove, the paddocks.

It is a okay enough estate,never heard of any problems there. The one issue might be that it's part of a much larger scheme of houses. A lot of rented properties there. The road into it gets very busy twice a day due to the large secondary school located near the entrance to the estate.
    There's a new social housing estate built just around the corner from it so I don't know how you feel about that. It can put some people off buying in an area.
    Avoid Shingaun,the estate is Celtic tiger poor quality builds and a lot of people I know have or are planning to move out of it.
    Bridgemeadow beside it is a smaller and quieter estate.

It is a okay enough estate,never heard of any problems there. The one issue might be that it's part of a much larger scheme of houses. A lot of rented properties there. The road into it gets very busy twice a day due to the large secondary school located near the entrance to the estate.
    There's a new social housing estate built just around the corner from it so I don't know how you feel about that. It can put some people off buying in an area.
    Avoid Shingaun,the estate is Celtic tiger poor quality builds and a lot of people I know have or are planning to move out of it.
    Bridgemeadow beside it is a smaller and quieter estate.

Thank you what is your opinion of the older estate bellefield/moran park it looks like a nice quiet estate know of any issues with that other than the houses being older?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd suggest looking at gorey too.... Just to mix things up... Enniscorthy has quite a few undisirables....

Yes everywhere does but there isn't a huge amount happening there imo.

• Advertisement

Thank you what is your opinion of the older estate bellefield/moran park it looks like a nice quiet estate know of any issues with that other than the houses being older?

They are very quiet estates,a nice mix of people living there. A couple I know have recently bought a house there and are delighted with the area,they wanted somewhere quiet with a good sense of community. Just about everyone there owns their own house so they all know each other for years. Very few if any rental properties there.
    As for Gorey,it is more vibrant but is getting a bad reputation due to the influx of drug addicts and a scumbag element that have moved into the general Courtown area near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I'd suggest looking at gorey too.... Just to mix things up... Enniscorthy has quite a few undisirables....

Yes everywhere does but there isn't a huge amount happening there imo.

Gorey housing, rent or buy, is more expensive than Enniscorthy ,but the choice of shops and large retailers is excellent in Gorey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

I agree with Paulaa, Gorey is a bit more expensive, better shopping etc and closer to Dublin.

Enniscorthy property is very good value right now and I think it will see a bump.

https://www.daft.ie/wexford/houses-for-sale/enniscorthy/11-parnell-avenue-enniscorthy-wexford-2145094/

is IMO very good value. Good, established cul de sac and quiet part of town. Walking distance to the Market Sq and the primary school is 1km away.

It's a slightly date 3 bed, but looks like you could move in immediately. You could do it up room by room. Only small downside?, is that Parnell Ave is on a bit of a hill.

Enniscorthy is also close to Wexford town, and Waterford is 40 mins - soon to be 30 mins with the NR Bypass (November).

Try to come to Enniscorthy for a long weekend if you can - really get a feel for the place....

They are very quiet estates,a nice mix of people living there. A couple I know have recently bought a house there and are delighted with the area,they wanted somewhere quiet with a good sense of community. Just about everyone there owns their own house so they all know each other for years. Very few if any rental properties there.
    As for Gorey,it is more vibrant but is getting a bad reputation due to the influx of drug addicts and a scumbag element that have moved into the general Courtown area near it.

Thanks that actually the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

blindsider wrote: »
    I agree with Paulaa, Gorey is a bit more expensive, better shopping etc and closer to Dublin.

Enniscorthy property is very good value right now and I think it will see a bump.

https://www.daft.ie/wexford/houses-for-sale/enniscorthy/11-parnell-avenue-enniscorthy-wexford-2145094/

is IMO very good value. Good, established cul de sac and quiet part of town. Walking distance to the Market Sq and the primary school is 1km away.

It's a slightly date 3 bed, but looks like you could move in immediately. You could do it up room by room. Only small downside?, is that Parnell Ave is on a bit of a hill.

Enniscorthy is also close to Wexford town, and Waterford is 40 mins - soon to be 30 mins with the NR Bypass (November).

Try to come to Enniscorthy for a long weekend if you can - really get a feel for the place....

We have spent a few days in an out but yet to stay the night might be worth a stay around the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,812 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As a matter of interest what is you budget? No point suggesting areas if it's out of your budget.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what is you budget? No point suggesting areas if it's out of your budget.

In and around 150k for a 3 bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Severe pollution from residential coal burning during the winter. It is particularly bad because it is in a valley so the smoke doesn't dissipate.

In and around 150k for a 3 bed

You'll find something with that alright. Belfield Road, Moran Park and St Aidan's Villas would be all older terraced houses. Pearse Road would be similar. All just outside the town centre with a short walk to the supermarkets and St Aidan's school. Lots of older settled people living around there so quiet enough.

You have the newer estates then around the outskirts of the town. Probably to many to name but ask if you've questions about any of them and we can tell you what we can about them.

If you go outside town you'll have a good chance of a one off house on a small piece of land but depends if you drive/want to live a little more rural.

Do ye work now or will you be looking for jobs around Enniscorthy? Opportunities are limited enough here but there is a new financial services company due to open in the old Court House. Commute to Dublin isn't "too" bad especially if you have the option of flexible hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

You'll find something with that alright. Belfield Road, Moran Park and St Aidan's Villas would be all older terraced houses. Pearse Road would be similar. All just outside the town centre with a short walk to the supermarkets and St Aidan's school. Lots of older settled people living around there so quiet enough.

You have the newer estates then around the outskirts of the town. Probably to many to name but ask if you've questions about any of them and we can tell you what we can about them.

If you go outside town you'll have a good chance of a one off house on a small piece of land but depends if you drive/want to live a little more rural.

Do ye work now or will you be looking for jobs around Enniscorthy? Opportunities are limited enough here but there is a new financial services company due to open in the old Court House. Commute to Dublin isn't "too" bad especially if you have the option of flexible hours.

Commute to Dublin is horrible, did it for 6 years, not recommended.

Commute to Dublin is horrible, did it for 6 years, not recommended.

I've done it as well and it's ok if you have flexible hours. If you have the option of starting at say 7 and finishing at 3 then you won't be sitting in traffic and its a lot more manageable.

Avoid anywhere up around Gimont/Drumgoold and the area around it. Lots of a certain ethnic minority living up around there.
    The original estate you looked at is a quiet cul de sac but is part of a larger estate.

€150K?

See my post #9 on P. 1. You have €30K to update the house.

(No connections whatsoever - always thought Parnell Ave would be a smart buy though...

Avoid anywhere up around Gimont/Drumgoold and the area around it. Lots of a certain ethnic minority living up around there.
    The original estate you looked at is a quiet cul de sac but is part of a larger estate.

True to say it has issues and and its elements of undesirables but there are good people in the Shannon, and to say avoid it, IMO, is wrong.

• Advertisement

True to say it has issues and and its elements of undesirables but there are good people in the Shannon, and to say avoid it, IMO, is wrong.

The Shannon is a much larger area than Gimomt/Drumgoold. He didn't say avoid the Shannon.

The Shannon is a much larger area than Gimomt/Drumgoold. He didn't say avoid the Shannon.

True but its a large part of the Shannon

I've done it as well and it's ok if you have flexible hours. If you have the option of starting at say 7 and finishing at 3 then you won't be sitting in traffic and its a lot more manageable.

My shift pattern is actually good where I'm never really stuck in rush hour traffic. It takes me ab ut the same time to travel across Dublin to job as it would from enniscorthy give or take 10 minutes depending on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ashgrove was a nice estate but it's going downhill rapidly I'd avoid it tbh. The house in Parnell Ave is in a great location but the houses are very old and hard to heat, it could become a money pit.

blindsider wrote: »
    €150K?

See my post #9 on P. 1. You have €30K to update the house.

(No connections whatsoever - always thought Parnell Ave would be a smart buy though...

Ye looks like a nice estate with good value for its location. What is it like with entrance to the gala club though is it busy on natch days with traffic?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ashgrove was a nice estate but it's going downhill rapidly I'd avoid it tbh. The house in Parnell Ave is in a great location but the houses are very old and hard to heat, it could become a money pit.

Ye if you take a look at it in good street view and compare to today its insane the difference in the estate.

CoBo55 wrote: »

Ye if you take a look at it in good street view and compare to today its insane the difference in the estate.

What's fr murphys Park like. and can anyone tell me what the amenity are like in the area I see there is a good amount of schools are they in good condition or any issues anyone knows of?

Same with sports facilities like the gaa/rugby clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What's fr murphys Park like. and can anyone tell me what the amenity are like in the area I see there is a good amount of schools are they in good condition or any issues anyone knows of?

Same with sports facilities like the gaa/rugby clubs?

Fmp wouldn't be too bad at all, nice sense of community about the area. St Senans school is top class, very well run. The houses are quite old so you'd need to be prepared to do some spending. Shamrocks gaa and soccer club is right beside you, it's no different to any club they win some they lose some, seem to be ok lads.

• Advertisement

Ye looks like a nice estate with good value for its location. What is it like with entrance to the gala club though is it busy on natch days with traffic?

That's a back way into the GAA pitch (main entrance on Pearse Rd), which is not used all that much. Bellefield GAA pitch gets a lot more use.

I agree that the house might be harder to heat as it's an older build - external insulation, or similar?

You trade that against a (possibly) poorly-built house from the 00's.

Anyway, remember LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

Advertisement