Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you see house prices in Greystones over the next 10 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

markest wrote: »
    I think many more people will be working from home/remotely in the next few years. Should cut down much of the traffic.

I do it from time to time, but the slow eir connection keeps me from doing it more often. I must look into virgin media broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

McGaggs wrote: »
    I do it from time to time, but the slow eir connection keeps me from doing it more often. I must look into virgin media broadband.

I work from home, need fast internet, virgin is pretty good

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Siro is being rolled out in Greystones at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

awec wrote: »
    Siro is being rolled out in Greystones at the moment too.

Any pricing information / introductory offers etc?
    TIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Cerco wrote: »
    Any pricing information / introductory offers etc?
    TIA.

Vodafone and Sky are partnered with SIRO to deliver 1GB speeds. I think it’s around 55 euro per month.

Just be aware at present both companies have a 1TB cap per month. You ear through that fast.

• Advertisement

zanador wrote: »
    I'm in a council house in a mixed estate in greystones- neither I nor my special.needs son between work and school and everything have time to be spaced out druggies but he's young yet so I'll keep ya posted.

See my comment on small minority.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

See my comment on small minority.

Drug problems are not limited to council estates. Cocaine use in particular is rampant across in the "posh" estates too.
    Now back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think a third lane would be feasible as far south as Fassaroe, maybe Greystones.

I have no idea if this has ever been discussed by the government, and I'm sure it would be many years away, but it's somewhat inevitable.

Preventing population growth in Dublin's commuter belt is just not possible.

The problem is that inceeased population of commuters leads to massive congestion snd consequent poor quality of life - kids in creches from 6am to 8pm, driving approx 2 hours each way to work,

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Large park & ride facilities along the M11 and N11 (paid for by imposing a congestion charge on anyone who chooses to drive past them) would solve more problems than building extra lanes. In fact, I'd replace one of the existing lanes with a heavily enforced bus lane. Reduce the road to one lane for private cars - make using park & ride a complete no-brainer.

Creating more local employment rather than shoving thousands up the N11 every day back snd forth is an even better solution again!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That assumes businesses can operate with locals only and requires no one from another town or county. So this requires upskilling of locals and only works for technology based businesses.

• Advertisement

That assumes businesses can operate with locals only and requires no one from another town or county. So this requires upskilling of locals and only works for technology based businesses.

No it doesn't. A business in Greystones could provide employment for Bray, Kilcoole, Arklow etc and avoids all those people commuting all the way into Dublin. It is about alternatives to all employment focused in Dublin and the ensuing unsustainable commuting, traffic congestion.

Terry Pratchet

The problem is that inceeased population of commuters leads to massive congestion snd consequent poor quality of life - kids in creches from 6am to 8pm, driving approx 2 hours each way to work,

Hyperbole.

It’s not two hours to Dublin from greystones anyway, my own commute is about 40 mins at the moment, would probably be 90 max if I was going city centre (though I’d just get the dart and it’d be much faster).

And 6:30-8pm is total nonsense, given crèches usually don’t open til 7/7:30 and close at 6:30/7. Any time I collect my child from crèche after 6, which is rare, she’s one of the last ones left.

No it doesn't. A business in Greystones could provide employment for Bray, Kilcoole, Arklow etc and avoids all those people commuting all the way into Dublin. It is about alternatives to all employment focused in Dublin and the ensuing unsustainable commuting, traffic congestion.

Only Bray, Kilcoole and Arklow? not Newcastle, Rathnew? you are just shifting traffic from one city to a nearer town.

Traffic is already congested in Greystones at times... where do these new offices get built?

Improvements in public transport and mandatory use of same is the only short term relief. Neither will happen of course.

Hyperbole.

And 6:30-8pm is total nonsense, given crèches usually don’t open til 7/7:30 and close at 6:30/7. Any time I collect my child from crèche after 6, which is rare, she’s one of the last ones left.

Unfortunately, you are a lucky one. I know first hand of families putting kids in at 7 and picking them up at 7.

Only Bray, Kilcoole and Arklow? not Newcastle, Rathnew? you are just shifting traffic from one city to a nearer town.

Traffic is already congested in Greystones at times... where do these new offices get built?

Improvements in public transport and mandatory use of same is the only short term relief. Neither will happen of course.

Greystones would not be sustainable as an employment hub. You'd not be moving traffic around, you'd be making it worse. The town, and surrounding area, is just not designed to have thousands of people commute into it every day.

Unfortunately, you are a lucky one. I know first hand of families putting kids in at 7 and picking them up at 7.

Which is not 6am -> 8pm.

This would be an exception rather than the norm. It depends on many factors, of which commute is just one. Some people just work very long hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greystones would not be sustainable as an employment hub. You'd not be moving traffic around, you'd be making it worse. The town, and surrounding area, is just not designed to have thousands of people commute into it every day.

what sort of activity would even generate significant employment in the town - they've been beating this drum for 30 years.

The IDA lands were originally to be a computer chip facility as in Leixlip, that's not going to happen nor is any other sort of high-employment industrial facility (how many work in Procap I wonder?).

Big companies are unlikely to locate offices this far out of town, datacentres don't employ many people. Small industrial units for local businesses (as in Kilcoole and Newtown) can provide some employment but the vast majority of Greystones residents are going to be commuters whatever happens.

loyatemu wrote: »
    what sort of activity would even generate significant employment in the town - they've been beating this drum for 30 years.

The IDA lands were originally to be a computer chip facility as in Leixlip, that's not going to happen nor is any other sort of high-employment industrial facility (how many work in Procap I wonder?).

Big companies are unlikely to locate offices this far out of town, datacentres don't employ many people. Small industrial units for local businesses (as in Kilcoole and Newtown) can provide some employment but the vast majority of Greystones residents are going to be commuters whatever happens.

Exactly.

Greystones employment is going to be local businesses - shops, cafes and the likes. That's just the reality of it. It's the definition of a commuter town.

Exactly.

Greystones employment is going to be local businesses - shops, cafes and the likes. That's just the reality of it. It's the definition of a commuter town.

Exactly.

Hyperbole.

It’s not two hours to Dublin from greystones anyway, my own commute is about 40 mins at the moment, would probably be 90 max if I was going city centre (though I’d just get the dart and it’d be much faster).

We are talking about the future here not the present - thousands and thousands of new houses and new schools create an enormous amount of new traffic

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

One View

With house prices plateauing in 2019 by 2023 the combination of interest rates rising along with Trump putting pressure on US Corporations to move back home and the UK offering lower corporation taxes we will see the Celtic Phoenix under pressure.

House building will stall resulting in over stock of homes which will be purchased below market value for use as council housing.

By 2025 advances in Robotic Process Automation will see repetitive operational roles reduced.

The drive to reduce overheads will push technology companies to have staff work from home and vendors to move to their company offices. )This took place in Microsoft and Amazon in Seattle 5 years ago.)

Companies will translate the opportunity to work from home as a benefit with a notional monetary value resulting in lower salaries being offered.

The government will figure out how to tax this notional benefit in kind further impacting salaries.

Carbon taxes will become the norm reducing the ability for diesel and petrol car owners to use their cars to drive to work.

The widespread introduction of electric cars and the increase in automotive AI will result in smarter driving including unified drive mode, allowing for the removal of traffic jams (all cars travel same speed and same distance apart).

In short, by 2029 work opportunities reduced, reduced need to travel to work, improved traffic experience for those who do need to travel, less people living in Greystones year on year due to static or declining nature of market, declining economy and rising social welfare culture.

Post 2029 the government will initiate the local means global program resulting in the retraining of people who lost their jobs due to RPA to help manage their local ecology, beach cleaning, water treatment, forest management etc...

Exactly.

Thats the reality now. But its not sustainable or desirable. The N11 and Dart and Park and Ride and 84x are all struggling to cope. There simply has to be regional alternatives to centralising the vast majority of employment in Dublin. I wont be responding to the science fiction trolling above

Terry Pratchet

Thats the reality now. But its not sustainable or desirable. The N11 and Dart and Park and Ride and 84x are all struggling to cope. There simply has to be regional alternatives to centralising the vast majority of employment in Dublin. I wont be responding to the science fiction trolling above

What sort of industry do you see as potentially growing in Greystones?

T I wont be responding to the science fiction trolling above

No science fiction involved at all or trolling.

Everyone is discussing traffic congestion and local business yet its not relevant to point out that in 10 years time jobs and roles in technology will be very different to how they are now?

Houses prices will stay aligned to the salaries of the time, in this case in 10 years time salaries will be high based on cost of living but may be lower overall as technology takes on more of the burden.

Why would tourism not grow here? It’s got potential I would have thought.

If the green way which is already being discussed was to go through Greystones then that would be a reason for local entrepreneurs to start businesses?

Infrastructure needs to be addressed, take that as a given

No reason the town can’t prosper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Thats the reality now. But its not sustainable or desirable.
    Not desirable to some perhaps but I do not wish to see the town turned into an industrial town. It is quite sustainable as is. In fact I very much regret the growth that turned our small village into a commuter hub... but not that it is let’s not degrade further.
    Greystones will remain one of the most desirable locations to live in, so I do not see a property crash coming any time soon.IMHO Moderation will come particularly to the apartments and the overpriced Marina properties but the regular 3/4 bed semi/detached will remain stable.

With regard to tourism, we have plenty of visitors coming every day, just walk around the town and observe the restaurants etc.
    The town is already prospering with virtually all commercial properties occupied. Anything becoming available is snapped up immediately.

I do appreciate the commuting issues, but this is a common problem in all commuter towns in the Greater Dublin Region. Expanding motorways and local services will only result in further sprawl and perpetuate the existing problems albeit on a grater scale.

Cerco wrote: »
    Thats the reality now. But its not sustainable or desirable.
    Not desirable to some perhaps but I do not wish to see the town turned into an industrial town. It is quite sustainable as is. In fact I very much regret the growth that turned our small village into a commuter hub... but not that it is let’s not degrade further.
    Greystones will remain one of the most desirable locations to live in, so I do not see a property crash coming any time soon.IMHO Moderation will come particularly to the apartments and the overpriced Marina properties but the regular 3/4 bed semi/detached will remain stable.

With regard to tourism, we have plenty of visitors coming every day, just walk around the town and observe the restaurants etc.
    The town is already prospering with virtually all commercial properties occupied. Anything becoming available is snapped up immediately.

I do appreciate the commuting issues, but this is a common problem in all commuter towns in the Greater Dublin Region. Expanding motorways and local services will only result in further sprawl and perpetuate the existing problems albeit on a grater scale.

Well said.

420 new houses now proposed and people are ok with Greystones being mainly a "commute to Dublin" town. Deadly.

Terry Pratchet

Poor kids and parents, awful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

420 new houses now proposed and people are ok with Greystones being mainly a "commute to Dublin" town. Deadly.

Where are 420 houses planned?

Advertisement