Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you see house prices in Greystones over the next 10 years

Options
  • 04-09-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi All,

As the title says, where do you see house prices heading over the next 10 years or even 20 years in Greystones over the next decade or two?

Are there any developments that might impact that in infrastructure, is the market overpriced at the moment or quite balanced due to the mortgage caps?

Global economy slowdown currently under way etc

Thanks for your insights! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I generally look at house prices on daft or myhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably still in Greystones

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Total collapse

Harbour apartments will probably be lashed out of it with climate change
    Overdevelopment of housing
    Public transport that cannot cope
    Crazy traffic congestion because of all these new schools, houses and poor public transport.
    Continued government strategy of government investing employment in centre of Dublin.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anywhere theyre building social housing will be a hell hole in 10-12 years time when the kids become teenagers, thats where not to buy a house.

anywhere theyre building social housing will be a hell hole in 10-12 years time when the kids become teenagers, thats where not to buy a house.

Where are they building social housing in Greystones?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from CA/IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

As disastrous as poor public transport and traffic congestion can be, I don't think it's a strong enough consideration to swing house prices.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Total collapse

Agree.

Sea levels will not be a problem for these apartments in the next 300 years in my opinion. However like all homes in Ireland they will increasingly be exposed to some extreme weather events.
    Overdevelopment of housing
    Public transport that cannot cope
    Crazy traffic congestion because of all these new schools, houses and poor public transport.
    Continued government strategy of government investing employment in centre of Dublin.

Agree.

Property in general is overpriced and increasing at an unsustainable rate. We have been through this before not so long ago.

Greystones is slowly being destroyed by a combination of overdevelopment, poor planning and greed. The quaint village that I remember is nothing more than a distant memory. Sadly Greystones is slowly morphing into a high density Blanchardstown / Tallagh / Dundrum clone and the infrastructure simply can't cope. The only good news I see is that building standards are significantly better this time around compared to the poorly built units in developments such as Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

well If you go by how it is now, even more beautiful. My friends who grew up here all would love to move back here now but have made their lives elsewhere now and have missed that boat. The ones that have stayed and have families of their own now love it even more.

The rose tinted glasses on people here are in every town in Ireland. Where I grew up was once lush green fields but is now home to thousands of extra people, I understand that people have to live somewhere but being from Dublin maybe I am more open to that then some of the posters here.

There are challenges everywhere and Greystones wont be immune to that but its got a good head start on other places.

House prices will inevitably drop and rise again as mine have over the last 15 years or so but it will be the people that make this town great into the future.

Dont mind these naysayers, I see them post continually negative comments. There is no reason why Greystones cant flourish over next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Total collapse

They'll be lashed out of it in the next month or two .

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is reading a bit like the Greystones Open Forum, where the cranks complain about the housing crisis, but then complain when houses are built. Complain about a lack of school places, but then complain when schools are built. They want the housing crisis solved, but only so long as their tiny village gets to stay a tiny village. Villages eventually become towns, which eventually become large towns, that's just how it works.

In the past decade or so they've developed the M1, and developed the M7. The M11 will surely be widened. They're looking at the buses already. The DART will be looked at at some point too. Realistically, Greystones is going to be continued to be seen as a nice commuter town long into the future, especially as Dublin continues to expand outward, and the commuter belt widens.

Greystones (and the M11) isn't even the worst commuter route in/out of Dublin for congestion, the M7 is much worse.

Greystones house prices will rise and fall the same as the rest of Ireland. The idea that Greystones is going to suffer some collapse of prices relative to everywhere else is just bizarre. Greystones isn't it's own little market, isolated from the rest of Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

awec wrote: »
    cranks complain about the housing crisis, but then complain when houses are built.

It is not enough to simply build houses, we need a proper planning and to think about infrastructure. On a positive note a bit more thought seems to have gone into the design of new homes and there appears to be less “micro homes”.

There are consequences to building homes with only maximizing profits in mind which is what seems to be happening. Just look at where lack of proper planning got us in the past.
    Complain about a lack of school places, but then complain when schools are built.

Personally I think that new schools are a great idea and the location of the new school at the rear of Charlesland is a good one as it is well served by roads, cycling lanes and is within walking distance of many homes.

Villages eventually become towns, which eventually become large towns, that's just how it works.

First of all Greystones ceased being a village long ago, so that ship has sailed.
    Secondly not every village is suited to becoming a town.
    The DART will be looked at at some point too.

Highly unlikely that this will happen for many generations as there is only room for one track through Bray head. Due to this salient fact there is little scope for improvement.
    Greystones (and the M11) isn't even the worst commuter route

Agreed, but you have set the bar very low. I think that we should be more ambitious than setting a target of just being better than the M7.
    The idea that Greystones is going to suffer some collapse of prices relative to everywhere else is just bizarre.

I did not see this view has not been expressed on this thread.

Population comes before infrastructure. While it would be great, they aren't going to build new roads, widen motorways, increase public transport spending etc before there is the population to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I cannot see how the M11 can be widened, especially the Glen of the Downs seeing as it is a nature reserve

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I cannot see how the M11 can be widened, especially the Glen of the Downs seeing as it is a nature reserve

I think a third lane would be feasible as far south as Fassaroe, maybe Greystones.

I have no idea if this has ever been discussed by the government, and I'm sure it would be many years away, but it's somewhat inevitable.

Preventing population growth in Dublin's commuter belt is just not possible.

I cannot see how the M11 can be widened again, especially the Glen of the Downs seeing as it is a nature reserve

I fixed your post :)

The impact could be reduced if the government do what so many people have asked them to do and allow high rise and high density solutions in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think a third lane would be feasible as far south as Fassaroe, maybe Greystones.

I have no idea if this has ever been discussed by the government, and I'm sure it would be many years away, but it's somewhat inevitable.

3rd lane as far as junction 7 is planned and will probably be built in the next 5 years.

Further south there are likely to be junction upgrades and auxiliary roads to take local traffic off the main N11 (e.g. between Kilpedder, Newtown and Ashford) - this is being designed currently.

A new road from Blacklion to the N11 at junction 9 (Glenview) is on the county plan. Probably 10 years away at least.

TII commissioned an engineering report on increasing DART capacity - it's on Derek Mitchell's website. It says 20 minute frequency is possible with some double-tracking. Train frequency to Wicklow needs to be improved too, but Irish Rail need more carriages and these are some years away.

WRT house prices, over 20 years you'd expect them to go up (is there any 20 year period in the past where they haven't increased?).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Thanks all... I just bought a new build in Greystones and your comments above have been helpful. Will move in before Xmas.

I noticed some traffic build up on the N11 sometimes and feel a third lane would be very welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Are you from Greystones? Our newest full social housing estate rather than mixed is built about 10-15 years and is full of kids and teens and their residents association absolutely keeps any form of social disturbance under control. They had a few problems in the first couple years and got together and stamped it out.

I know where you stand on these issues from other posts but your blanket statements just aren't true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

zanador wrote: »
    Are you from Greystones? Our newest full social housing estate rather than mixed is built about 10-15 years and is full of kids and teens and their residents association absolutely keeps any form of social disturbance under control. They had a few problems in the first couple years and got together and stamped it out.

I know where you stand on these issues from other posts but your blanket statements just aren't true.

Social housing is now mixed into estates rather than separate. It remains to be seen whether this will drive inclusion or simply enable hotspots of anti-social behavior in estates.

Your statements on residents getting social disturbance under control may be accurate for some estates, unfortunately those dealing with problems both in and around Grattan Park, Kindlestown, Kenmare etc.. would disagree. As a lot of this is drugs driven it is effecting all social classes and spilling into other areas. God knows how people buying in the new estate above Kindlestown forest will feel once they have spaced out druggies in their expensive front gardens.

Before anyone complains of exaggeration, this has happened repeatedly in these areas. And happy to confirm in private if anyone wants verification.

Of course being born and raised in this area, there are decent people with only a small minority causing problems but its a growing problem.

You only have to look at the extra premium costs applied to home and car insurance for people living in these areas to see how the statistics impact.

I saw all the above with the view that Greystones will continue to grow and be an attractive place but will also have growing problems that come with any evolving town. Is the answer to increase the police resources or to seek to resolve the problems at their root? Not for me to answer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

This is reading a bit like the Greystones Open Forum, where the cranks complain about the housing crisis, but then complain when houses are built. Complain about a lack of school places, but then complain when schools are built. They want the housing crisis solved, but only so long as their tiny village gets to stay a tiny village. Villages eventually become towns, which eventually become large towns, that's just how it works.

In the past decade or so they've developed the M1, and developed the M7. The M11 will surely be widened. They're looking at the buses already. The DART will be looked at at some point too. Realistically, Greystones is going to be continued to be seen as a nice commuter town long into the future, especially as Dublin continues to expand outward, and the commuter belt widens.

Greystones (and the M11) isn't even the worst commuter route in/out of Dublin for congestion, the M7 is much worse.

Greystones house prices will rise and fall the same as the rest of Ireland. The idea that Greystones is going to suffer some collapse of prices relative to everywhere else is just bizarre. Greystones isn't it's own little market, isolated from the rest of Ireland.

https://www.thejournal.ie/house-prices-eircode-2019-4681369-Jun2019/
    Defientely is when it comes to the housing market

Social housing is now mixed into estates rather than separate. It remains to be seen whether this will drive inclusion or simply enable hotspots of anti-social behavior in estates.

Your statements on residents getting social disturbance under control may be accurate for some estates, unfortunately those dealing with problems both in and around Grattan Park, Kindlestown, Kenmare etc.. would disagree. As a lot of this is drugs driven it is effecting all social classes and spilling into other areas. God knows how people buying in the new estate above Kindlestown forest will feel once they have spaced out druggies in their expensive front gardens.

Before anyone complains of exaggeration, this has happened repeatedly in these areas. And happy to confirm in private if anyone wants verification.

Of course being born and raised in this area, there are decent people with only a small minority causing problems but its a growing problem.

You only have to look at the extra premium costs applied to home and car insurance for people living in these areas to see how the statistics impact.

I saw all the above with the view that Greystones will continue to grow and be an attractive place but will also have growing problems that come with any evolving town. Is the answer to increase the police resources or to seek to resolve the problems at their root? Not for me to answer.

Yes i have seen this also with more affluent people spaced out on the devils dandruff floating around the Nightlife spots in Greystones.

Social issues are the root cause maybe more should be invested in services in these areas, if it bothers people so much perhaps spend half a million on the other side of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Large park & ride facilities along the M11 and N11 (paid for by imposing a congestion charge on anyone who chooses to drive past them) would solve more problems than building extra lanes. In fact, I'd replace one of the existing lanes with a heavily enforced bus lane. Reduce the road to one lane for private cars - make using park & ride a complete no-brainer.

Large park & ride facilities along the M11 and N11 (paid for by imposing a congestion charge on anyone who chooses to drive past them) would solve more problems than building extra lanes. In fact, I'd replace one of the existing lanes with a heavily enforced bus lane. Reduce the road to one lane for private cars - make using park & ride a complete no-brainer.

Park and Ride to where?

Park and Ride will only work for a certain type of commuter. It might help, but it's certainly not a solution, and wouldn't be something you could do instead of increasing the capacity of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

I don't think the Glen of the Downs is the cause of the congestion on the M11 - it's the whole area between the Fasseroe exits and the Kilmacanogue exits. This section is due to be upgraded but undoubtedly that will take many years

Large park & ride facilities along the M11 and N11 (paid for by imposing a congestion charge on anyone who chooses to drive past them) would solve more problems than building extra lanes.

I work in Tallaght so like many others that can not take public transport to work driving past park & ride is hardly a “choice”. When I worked in the IFSC I was delighted to be able to get the Dart to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Park and Ride to where?

Park and Ride will only work for a certain type of commuter. It might help, but it's certainly not a solution, and wouldn't be something you could do instead of increasing the capacity of the road.

The problem with increasing the capacity of the road is that it just encourages more people to drive, which - in addition to being environmentally terrible - ultimately causes capacity issues and further bottlenecks elsewhere. Providing alternatives and forcing people out of their cars is a far more sustainable solution.
    2011 wrote: »
    I work in Tallaght so like many others that can not take public transport to work driving past park & ride is hardly a “choice”. When I worked in the IFSC I was delighted to be able to get the Dart to work.

Obviously, park & ride interchanges would need to be served by various bus routes linking up with areas where lots of people work, like Tallaght, Sandyford, the city centre, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I'm in a council house in a mixed estate in greystones- neither I nor my special.needs son between work and school and everything have time to be spaced out druggies but he's young yet so I'll keep ya posted.

Obviously, park & ride interchanges would need to be served by various bus routes linking up with areas where lots of people work, like Tallaght, Sandyford, the city centre, etc.

Perhaps a more obvious solution is not to have so many people traveling so far to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

I think many more people will be working from home/remotely in the next few years. Should cut down much of the traffic.

Advertisement