Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

We can rule out Nada Surf Playing as well as they will be appearing in the Button Factory in March,tickets on sale this Friday

Doesnt rule them out for EP , They could be back for a summer/festival run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Doesnt rule them out for EP , They could be back for a summer/festival run

True,I remember seeing Interpol a few years back in The Olympia in February and later that year appeared on the bill at EP.

EDIT: Tickets for Nada Surf on sale Thursday (3rd) at 10am!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

We can rule out Nada Surf Playing as well as they will be appearing in the Button Factory in March,tickets on sale Thursday at 10am

In case anyone missed it, there was a lovely tribute to Ric Ocasek from the Nada Surf front man a few weeks ago.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/18/761688937/the-time-ric-ocasek-helped-my-band-make-its-first-record?t=1570025321823

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Stillill42

In case anyone missed it, there was a lovely tribute to Ric Ocasek from the Nada Surf front man a few weeks ago.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/18/761688937/the-time-ric-ocasek-helped-my-band-make-its-first-record?t=1570025321823

That's lovely alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fatfrog wrote: »

Well fair play to her. She has clearly been reading Boards. Apart from the frankly unenforcable kids curfew, she raises many of the points we've been discussing in here. I would love to think Laois County Council have the balls to make Melvin work a bit for his licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fantastic to see a councillor getting involved like that. She must've been reading the threads here about it. The deposit scheme for the tents is a fantastic idea. I'm shocked there hasn't already been a fire in the campsites with the way they're set up. Making each person responsible for their own site would be one way of either a) making more money or b) actually forcing people to be responsible for the mountains of litter that they create over the weekend.

I'd love to see the process that goes into planning the event with the coco in the run up to the festival. I'm involved with events in Belfast myself and there is months of planning involved in a single concert here so I dread to think what's involved with a festival that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Yeah, love that. I always liked The Cars, even when it became fashionable to dismiss them. Sad never to have seen them.

It's as if she's been reading this thread. She's nailed all the issues of concern, extremely accurate observation and let's hope that the council insists on those changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Davysulls86

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It's as if she's been reading this thread. She's nailed all the issues of concern, extremely accurate observation and let's hope that the council insists on those changes.

Well, we are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah I'm not used to a county counselor having actual decent ideas that make sense and are totally workable. The Laois crowd have it too good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Some great points made there,especially with the attendance been increased to 60k,which I think is a joke,should have remained at the 45k capacity!!!!

Boutique festival me ****!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭blackwhite

endainoz wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not used to a county counselor having actual decent ideas that make sense and are totally workable. The Laois crowd have it too good!

Whilst she has some good ideas, the notion of assigned pitch spots in the campsites, with refundable deposits, is pure pie in the sky stuff.

The admin to administer on the scale of EP would be colossal. Complications like how to deal with people who share tents - preventing people from using someone else’s spot - processing deposit refunds afterwards - dealing with appeals/disputes

It sounds like a typical county councillor suggestion - sounds good until you start thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

blackwhite wrote: »
    Whilst she has some good ideas, the notion of assigned pitch spots in the campsites, with refundable deposits, is pure pie in the sky stuff.

The admin to administer on the scale of EP would be colossal. Complications like how to deal with people who share tents - preventing people from using someone else’s spot - processing deposit refunds afterwards - dealing with appeals/disputes

It sounds like a typical county councillor suggestion - sounds good until you start thinking about it

I was going to make the same comment. The idea of a curfew for children as well is a bit pie in the sky.

More campsites; and more facilities in each campsite would be great; one set of showers for everyone is terrible.
    How does Glastonbury handle campsites? Do they get overcrowded; do they have enough facilities; how stringent is security/people control; are there some campsites that are much closer and are 'party' campsites?

The crowd control is the big one; there were serious issues this year getting in to the arena before big artists like Billie Eilish; in getting away from the Main stage afterwards, and also on the path near Tesco because they now only have one walkway around the perimeter of the arena

Kepler21 wrote: »
    I was going to make the same comment. The idea of a curfew for children as well is a bit pie in the sky.

More campsites; and more facilities in each campsite would be great; one set of showers for everyone is terrible.
    How does Glastonbury handle campsites? Do they get overcrowded; do they have enough facilities; how stringent is security/people control; are there some campsites that are much closer and are 'party' campsites?

The crowd control is the big one; there were serious issues this year getting in to the arena before big artists like Billie Eilish; in getting away from the Main stage afterwards, and also on the path near Tesco because they now only have one walkway around the perimeter of the arena

I've had much worse crowd crushes at Glastonbury than at EP, particularly in 1999 (2000 supposedly even worse) before they put up the wall in 2002. Gatecrashers were estimated to be in six figures. There were also bottlenecks by bridges between the Pyramid and Other stage and between the Pyramid and John Peel (near the Beat Hotel). The former bridge was replaced, latter resulted in the move of John Peel. So basically good now but there may still be crushes getting into the SE late night corner but they've moved Arcadia and set up the Gully/Blues Bar to draw people away from there.

Security are helped by the alcohol freeflow policy. Once you're onsite there are no checks past entry. So security don't have to waste time looking for booze and can concentrate on other things.

Campsites are very busy. And as messy as EP. Same principle applies, the further you get from the main stages the less messy the campsites. And the same proportion of people seem to leave their tents behind. People are asked not to bring gazebos but they do. An enforced outright ban makes sense at both Glasto and EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

blackwhite wrote: »

Pre-assigned spots for tents is not workable. Perhaps something along the lines of: if you have a tent on your initial search then you pay a 20 quid deposit and get a receipt/token. You can pick up your 20 on the way out when you show that you have a tent and your receipt. You won't catch 100% of tents coming in, but at least for many of those left behind you have some contribution to the cost of disposal. There is still an amount of admin overhead, but I think this would be more workable than pre-assigned spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭rubick

So basically good now but there may still be crushes getting into the SE late night corner but they've moved Arcadia and set up the Gully/Blues Bar to draw people away from there.
    You'll have some mission getting me away from the SE Corner of an evening.
    (Although there's the small matter of getting a bloody ticket first. No joy last night.)

rubick wrote: »
    (Although there's the small matter of getting a bloody ticket first. No joy last night.)

Same here. I've had no luck since 2014. It hasn't bothered me that much but I won't be happy missing the 50th anniversary.

Time for them to bring in a lottery system? To favour those who haven't been before or not been for 2/3 years. Block on anyone going two years in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Campsites are very busy. And as messy as EP. Same principle applies, the further you get from the main stages the less messy the campsites. And the same proportion of people seem to leave their tents behind.

The difference between campstie cleanliness at EP and Glasto this year was night and day, both during and after the festival. MY first glasto and it was immaculate in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭rubick

Same here. I've had no luck since 2014. It hasn't bothered me that much but I won't be happy missing the 50th anniversary.

Time for them to bring in a lottery system? To favour those who haven't been before or not been for 2/3 years. Block on anyone going two years in a row?

We have been more or less straight through on the last two Coach Sales. The awesome (almost too hot) weather last year combined with the Kylie Effect and the 50th Anniversary is a total melt for regulars. Anyone that wants to go to Glastonbury should have to successfully indicate, by means of a 10,000 word essay, the correct way in which to use a Longdrop in the rain.

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »
    The difference between campstie cleanliness at EP and Glasto this year was night and day, both during and after the festival. MY first glasto and it was immaculate in comparison.

Hopefully that means it's improved, but it's hard to imagine from anecdotal and media reports. Not been since 2014 and then the bins were spilling over (not the attendees fault), rubbish throughout all campsites and laughing gas canisters everywhere despite warnings on their danger to cattle. Also thousands of clearly empty tents with abandoned campfires and rubbish piles beside them on the Monday afternoon. Possibly tens of thousands but would need a volunteer or organiser from there to give clearer information. BBC reported in May that more than a quarter of a million tents were abandoned in UK festival fields last year. It's a cultural problem we share with the British. If education and appealing to people's better nature isn't working then we'll probably have to find a way to punitively enforce it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-48184756

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Alkers wrote: »
    agreed. EP is squalid as **** compared with Glastonbury. way less packed in like sardines there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Rfrip

This year’s ep seems like about five years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

agreed. EP is squalid as **** compared with Glastonbury. way less packed in like sardines there too.

I can only go off what I've seen at Glasto a few years back. Stayed in rivermead, which isn't central. I'd say vast majority of tents were gone by the time we left Monday, place was reasonably clean, bar the odd dirty campers.

EP is a flash in the pan at x3 nights, ppl will just chuck rubbish at their door inc. Food waste. Glasto is x6 nights (if you want) so you need to be more careful :)

But I must say the hill overlooking the pyramid and camps around the John peel tent was pretty bad, on par with the worst of EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What's the lineup for 2020 then. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,202 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What's the lineup for 2020 then. :)

Radiohead playing trailer park at 5pm on the Friday.... Followed by aphex twin doing "I care because you do" in a bluegrass styling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any of you heard of a cool festival called Electric Picnic, shush, don't tell anyone its our little secret. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

rubick wrote: »

Any joy on Sunday?

The campsite near the Other Stage (Oxlyers?) has always been as bad as anything at EP. Add in a bit of rain & mud and it surpasses the carnage of the Hendrix campsite. Some other campsites are also competing to outdo their squalor.

Though Glasto is streets ahead of Reading, the whole site of which is effectively an enlarged Hendrix.

EP & Glasto effectively share the same age demographic and I don't wanna knock the kids, but hey, who else is leaving tents and rubbish behind?

• Advertisement

I think this thread needs a little life. So what about the greatest EP anthems - the most intense moments and biggest singalongs. I've missed a few - Sabotage in 2007 and Good Times in the Electric Arena on Chic's first ever Irish gig in 2009 are both big regrets but at least I caught this lot:

Arcade Fire 2005 - Wake Up - perfect start to a perfect gig.
    Pet Shop Boys 2006 - Go West - perfect end to a perfect gig, and weekend. Electric Arena was rarely so noisy.
    John Grant (& Sinead O'Connor) 2013 - Glacier. Moment of the weekend for me, surpassed even the Byrne & St. Vincent numbers.
    Iggy & The Stooges 2007 - No Fun - Hard to beat a mass stage invasion. Fun for all bar the Gardai & security.
    LCD Soundsystem 2016 - Dance Yrself Clean - Better than their previous visits.
    David Bryne & St. Vincent 2013 - Burning Down The House. Needs no explanation. You were all there.
    The Cure 2012 - 10.15 Saturday Night. EP's greatest set I reckon.
    Leftfield 2010 - Phat Planet. Has the bass ever been higher?
    My Bloody Valentine 2008 - Soon. As homecomings go....
    Sparks 2006 - This Town Ain't Big Enough ForThe Both Of Us.
    Magazine 2009- A Song From Under The Floorboards. Never thought I'd get to see them. What a treat this was.
    Beck 2014 - Lost Cause. My partner's fave track. She obviously rates our relationship.
    Portishead 2014 - Machine Gun. Again, you were all there.

And a few thousand more forgotten goodies. Any more suggestions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement