Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, meteorological winter starts on December 1st. We're still very much in autumn.

That's only what Dubs say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh the old controversial seasons in Ireland debate!

Well as far as I'm concerned August in Ireland is Autumn + November is definitely winter and by February the weather is not great but not as cold as Nov, Dec & Jan

Just step outside if you want to test it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's only what people from Donegal say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

appledrop wrote: »
    Is is not very early for snow even for Donegal? I hope this is not a sign of things to come!

Definitely unusual to get frontal snow in early November, the road through Meenaroy isn't even especially high and there was plenty of lying snow from around 200m upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think it was 2003 in october,the period of 48hrs of wicked thunderstorms in a northerly that there was snow on Lugnaquilla
    November is not the earliest
    That was when there was almost continuous lightning on the east coast for about three days and a brilliant aurora display at the end of the month ... an interesting month!

• Advertisement

Torrential hail downpour here at the moment, we've had a serious amount of precipitation fall since this afternoon, 9 hours of consistently heavy rain/sleet/snow/hail.

Can't say it's been a boring day at least :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OK; who dropped a bomb? Own up! I was forewarned out here as the marine forecast opined gales. But WOW. This is a GALE.

Four of my cats were still out and the wind wanted the door for its very own. ! " I will huff and puff and GET YOU!"

Managed to get three in. then heard the tiny black one wailing so fought the gale monster. They are low to the ground so no problems

SNOW in Donegal ! WOW

Oh and THIS IS WINTER. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Oh the old controversial seasons in Ireland debate!

Well as far as I'm concerned August in Ireland is Autumn + November is definitely winter and by February the weather is not great but not as cold as Nov, Dec & Jan

Just step outside if you want to test it out!

I'm afraid February is colder than November 9 times out of 10.

August is warmer than May at least 19 times out of 20.

That's the meteorological take on the seasons. Some like to use the system thought in National School, more like to use daylight as their template, others astronomical seasons, i.e. winter beginning 23rd December.

But for a meteorologist winter will always be December, January and February.

For proper lasting snow on low ground in November you have to be past mid month and all factors right. Unlike February.

Because we had 23C on Holy Saturday, roughly 20 April we can't simply declare, this is SUMMER.

If seasons are reduced to feelings and days with temperature somewhat below or above normal we have no science, nothing.

Now I'm all for saying janey it's wintry out today. But it's not in the season of winter.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I'm afraid February is colder than November 9 times out of 10.

August is warmer than May at least 19 times out of 20.

That's the meteorological take on the seasons. Some like to use the system thought in National School, more like to use daylight as their template, others astronomical seasons, i.e. winter beginning 23rd December.

But for a meteorologist winter will always be December, January and February.

For proper lasting snow on low ground in November you have to be past mid month and all factors right. Unlike February.

Labels as they say are for soup cans; and out of touch with reality these boffins! Trying to assert control over nature ….

SHEESH! HAIL! Cat is staring at the ceiling! TERRIFIED... DEAFENING!

• Advertisement

Because we had 23C on Holy Saturday, roughly 20 April we can't simply declare, this is SUMMER.

If seasons are reduced to feelings and days with temperature somewhat below or above normal we have no science, nothing.

Now I'm all for saying janey it's wintry out today. But it's not in the season of winter.

Oh yes it is! Island seasons are different. November IS winter.
    lol

As I am not a meteorologist their rules are meaningless

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh yes it is! Island seasons are different. November IS winter.
    lol

Ah no Grace I can't agree :) It's cold and wintry out. But February, even for off shore islands, will be colder 9/10 times statistically.

If it's as cold in March, which it usually is, will you call it winter ;) That would be a 5 month season of winter :)

Graces7 we will stick together + go with our gut. If a Dub like myself + an islander on West coast can agree on seasons then we must be right!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Regardless if one is right or not, at the end of the day (no pun intended :P ) this is the weather forum and for things like stats or threads, we use the meteorological definition of seasons.

There was a fair bit of hail, with the lightning, mid October 2003 in the east.

Late October 2008 was a snowy spell in the north. Glenshane Pass treacherous etc.

An come on Naggdef this is Ireland of course we can have 5 mths of winter.

Ah you really trying to tell me August was summer with the amount of rain we had + June was absolutely freezing this year so you couldn't call it summer.

So if we only have 1 mth for summer than can easily have 5 for winter😂

An come on Naggdef this is Ireland of course we can have 5 mths of winter.

Ah you really trying to tell me August was summer with the amount of rain we had + June was absolutely freezing this year so you couldn't call it summer.

So if we only have 1 mth for summer than can easily have 5 for winter😂

But shur you're making it up as you go along Appledrop :)

So June was in summer in 2018 and winter in 2019! These fluid seasons don't exist. They are based on the earth's rotation around the sun really.

Ah it's only a bit of fun.

You must be all pagans. Did you never make your St.Brigids cross in school on 1st day of spring...........

Yes that's right 1st Feb

So June was in summer in 2018 and winter in 2019! These fluid seasons don't exist. They are based on the earth's rotation around the sun really.

Naggdefy if you support the earths rotation theory that's actually the astronomical calendar which is what I outlined early that winter is Nov, Dec &Jan.

See I'm not just making it up.

Ah it's only a bit of fun.

You must be all pagans. Did you never make your St.Brigids cross in school on 1st day of spring...........

Yes that's right 1st Feb

I know that, it would be foolish to get into a serious argument about seasons :) Oh we did in school! That's where the conflict lies! It's only in the last 5 years the school curriculum has changed to the meteorological seasons.

I suppose we all can agree on tis wintry out!

• Advertisement

It's a hot topic of debate in our family ever year!

In typical Irish style we have to be different to everywhere else!

Naggdefy if you support the earths rotation theory that's actually the astronomical calendar which is what I outlined early that winter is Nov, Dec &Jan.

See I'm not just making it up.

No I'm simply stating that seasons change because of the earth's rotation. I don't apply the exact astronomical position. Like the earth is angled with the tropic of cancer facing the sun on June..so it can't be labelled winter, with resulting daylight etc. Thus the rotation and axis tilt causes the seasons.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Regardless if one is right or not, at the end of the day (no pun intended :P ) this is the weather forum and for things like stats or threads, we use the meteorological definition of seasons.

The royal WE? I am not of thee! Science is meaningless set against the vagaries and sheer power of reality.

Nature trumps science... Ok;I am away..... Bye!

But they do. Trying to confine them is like pinning butterflies to cardboard. Ugh! Dreadful thing to do!

No I'm simply stating that seasons change because of the earth's rotation. I don't apply the exact astronomical position. Like the earth is angled with the tropic of cancer facing the sun on June..so it can't be labelled winter, with resulting daylight etc. Thus the rotation and axis tilt causes the seasons.

What does June have to do with winter?

I've always been a bit on the fence about the seasons debate, technically Dec-Feb is correct but in reality I'd say November 'feels' more like winter than February more years than not. Using temperature as the defining factor for seasons in a country with such a small temperature range and where its not all that unusual to get days in mid December milder than mid June is debatable. November, on the west coast at least tends to be very unsettled, dark and wet while February sees lengthening days, strengthening sun and quieter Atlantic so anecdotally it makes sense to consider November part of winter

Anyways back on topic, some nice Autumnal hail downpours and strong gusty winds here to end the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

That was the roughest night in the past few years in
    SW Donegal, barely slept, stormy with hailstones that sounded like they would break the window all night, and thunder aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

And in Sligo. Far worse than Lorenzo. What was this storm called ? And if no name why?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very rough night but possibly didn’t hit storm level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes top gust from storm "nothing" was 101kph in Malin Head

Widespread 80 to 90 kph gusts in most places

Isnt 90 to 110 kph a yellow warning....yet none was issued

Advertisement