Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You reminded me of this poor pic I took last week of about 10 chicks I saw in our river last week. Black and yellow chicks but couldn't get closer to them.
    Jur47d7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Mooooo wrote: »
    Spotted this in a drain a few weeks back

Goldfinch.
    Saw a similar one last week, singing his little heart out for several days. same spot on the telephone wire every day. I thought it was a swallow until I zoomed in on the pic. No signs of swallows or cuckoo here yet.

goldfinch 17 april 2020.png

Might be of interest to some, and downloadable in pdf chapter by chapter.
    https://twitter.com/npwsBioData/status/1252582681923256322?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You reminded me of this poor pic I took last week of about 10 chicks I saw in our river last week. Black and yellow chicks but couldn't get closer to them.
    Jur47d7.jpg
    They look like mallard ducklings but I could be wrong. Anyway they ain't chicks :)

Base price wrote: »
    They look like mallard ducklings but I could be wrong. Anyway they ain't chicks :)

:D

Yeah, ducklings would be better alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Markcheese wrote: »
    It'd be a bit different if it was people targeting Hawks , those people would be sad gitts,sneaky and cowardly ...
    How many types of Hawks actually go for pigeons anyway ? A sparrow hawk is probably a bit small , a buzzard goes for ground animals ,
    Falcons yup ...

Female sparrowhawk would take doves and magpies and odd pigeon as pigeons are actually bigger than they are. Alot of energy to waste if she failed to kill it. Buzzards are great for jackdaw and rats. Young rabbits too. They're big birds but have tiny feet which is why we dont use them for falconry. We use harris hawks or red tails instead. Falcons yes are main predators of pigeon. Ravens will also hunt pigeon. They may look like a crow on steroids but they do hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

jphoulihan wrote: »
    It's sad to see the hawks targeting peaceful and harmless pigeons. They are so sneaky and cowardly! They should take on grey crows and magpies!

Well crows and magpies fight back and can do damage to a buzzard. Pigeons don't fight back. Few wing slaps is all. But a buzzard wont take a pigeon in flight. Wayy too fast for a buzzard. Has to be on the ground on it's own. They prefer jackdaws, crows and young grazer rabbits. But rats are a good food source for them also. The buzzard or hawk as you said is our only native hawk here of buteo family. They play their part on pest control but now they are becoming a pest themselves breeding out of control now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Female sparrowhawk would take doves and magpies and odd pigeon as pigeons are actually bigger than they are. Alot of energy to waste if she failed to kill it. Buzzards are great for jackdaw and rats. Young rabbits too. They're big birds but have tiny feet which is why we dont use them for falconry. We use harris hawks or red tails instead. Falcons yes are main predators of pigeon. Ravens will also hunt pigeon. They may look like a crow on steroids but they do hunt.

Theres a couple of ravens around here, they look like normal crows from a distance but it's only when ya get up close ya realise how big they really are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Goldfinch.
    Saw a similar one last week, singing his little heart out for several days. same spot on the telephone wire every day. I thought it was a swallow until I zoomed in on the pic. No signs of swallows or cuckoo here yet.

goldfinch 17 april 2020.png

Beautiful singers. I used to keep captive ones when i was a kid. Lads cross breed them with canaries. All the finches like greenfinch, chaffinch etc can interbreed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Saw this dude this morning while fencing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Some kind of Magpie uprising going on in Wicklow, they're everywhere.

Apple blossoms out in force today.
    UNGXwnt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thargor wrote: »
    Some kind of Magpie uprising going on in Wicklow, they're everywhere.

Get yourself the loan of a Larsen trap and a lock of turf bags.
    The gun clubs do lend them out

Beautiful singers. I used to keep captive ones when i was a kid. Lads cross breed them with canaries. All the finches like greenfinch, chaffinch etc can interbreed

The mules are making good money these days.theres a lad on done deal making lovely cages for them with bicycles spokes for the bars and hand painted like a gypsy barrell wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Get yourself the loan of a Larsen trap and a lock of turf bags.
    The gun clubs do lend them out

Not a runner - in the middle of the nesting season

Found this in a field today, out about 40 foot from a roadway and ditch. It's about 3 inches in diameter. Any idea what made it and why?
    nHVxQah.jpg
    MUAYHUy.jpg

Not a runner - in the middle of the nesting season

Wait them out until they are finished rearing and bag them then.too many mags around the place is a bad job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Saw this dude this morning while fencing
    I think it will turn into a Drinker moth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Probably a rabbit Buford.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Probably a rabbit Buford.

I was wondering if that was what was digging there. Surprised to see it there if it is because the ditch behind the roadway is an earthen ditch and much more shelter and peace there for a rabbit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was wondering if that was what was digging there. Surprised to see it there if it is because the ditch behind the roadway is an earthen ditch and much more shelter and peace there for a rabbit?

Borrows need ventilation...and escape hatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

Wait them out until they are finished rearing and bag them then.too many mags around the place is a bad job.

There's no closed season for vermin control

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Goldfinch are everywhere around here. So I'm taking it as acceptable to leave all the dandelions in front of my kitchen window so I can watch them eating the seeds :D

AukJoyJh.jpg

I've seen 3 foxes in 3 days too, new record for me. One dog, one vixen & cubs & one unknown eating from the cat food dish again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’ve a neighbour in serious trouble for having a pair of tagged Buzzards hanging out of stakes in the middle of the field of barley. He had the bird crowd and some other agency as well. He also bought 7 acres of scrub last year and was told not to clear it. That’s all cleared now. Possible court case and SFP is in danger. Delighted for him. Bôllîx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I’ve a neighbour in serious trouble for having a pair of tagged Buzzards hanging out of stakes in the middle of the field of barley. He had the bird crowd and some other agency as well. He also bought 7 acres of scrub last year and was told not to clear it. That’s all cleared now. Possible court case and SFP is in danger. Delighted for him. Bôllîx

Who told him not to clear the scrub, and why not?

Sounds like a top lad though in fairness, great to have good neighbours ;)

Who told him not to clear the scrub, and why not?

Sounds like a top lad though in fairness, great to have good neighbours ;)

It was announced before the auction that there would be an issue with interfering with the scrub because it was deemed a sanctuary by some agency. I missed the start of it but it came to 15k per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It was announced before the auction that there would be an issue with interfering with the scrub because it was deemed a sanctuary by some agency. I missed the start of it but it came to 15k per acre.

He paid 15k/acre for 7 acres of scrub which he was told he couldnt clear? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

He paid 15k/acre for 7 acres of scrub which he was told he couldnt clear? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/06/17/local-land-and-dwellings-capture-big-price-at-public-auction/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

"Lot 3 was C. 7 acres of land which was covered in overgrown forestry and shrubbery but described as having good potential."

That doesn't sound like it was sound as unclearable?

• Advertisement

"Lot 3 was C. 7 acres of land which was covered in overgrown forestry and shrubbery but described as having good potential."

That doesn't sound like it was sound as unclearable?

There were certain conditions announced at the start.

Advertisement