Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    The fur on him in the first pic is cub like
    He looks awfully big for a cub. Must be lots of food in the area to get him that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The fur on him in the first pic is cub like

My thoughts exactly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Base price wrote: »
    He looks awfully big for a cub. Must be lots of food in the area to get him that big.

There are reports of cubs are being born earlier every year for the last couple of decades so he could easily be 6 months old.

As well as the fur, to my eye his actual stockiness is a sign that it is a cub as well. Once they have a good food supply and of course good genetics they often tend to pack on a lot of muscle early in life before they start to get leaner later on.

That's just my own opinion from my own personal experiences and I have not one shred of scientific evidence or data from studies to back it up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

https://youtu.be/lOKuCHhp6Jk

Caught this on our security cameras a few weeks ago.

Beautiful bird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Have a few mushrooms here too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Have a few mushrooms here too

When they are younger, they are supposed to edible. Though I wouldn't be taking that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I've a video of a hedge alive with bees too that I'll have to post here too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A fox club. :) I almost thought it was a statue it didnt move until I got right up beside it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Was watching ecoeye on rte last week ( repeat?) about decline in bird numbers in the last 20 years and loss of habitat was given as the main cause. later on there was an ad for one of the discount supermarkets ( family x saved this much etc) and i wonder do non farmers see the link between cheaper commodities (food, clothes etc) and farmers worldwide having to chase every acre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Brother found this walking to his site. Water flowing a little on the road from a drain. About 50 meters away from a stream. Black with a pale belly.

Anyone know what it is?

517471.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Brother found this walking to his site. Water flowing a little on the road from a drain. About 50 meters away from a stream. Black with a pale belly.

Anyone know what it is?

517471.jpeg

Would that possibly be a slow worm? A legless lizard not native to Ireland by released in the Burren in the 1970's.

Slow worm in Ireland.

Anyone know what it is?

517471.jpeg
    It's hard to see properly and at first I thought it was an eel but the shape is wrong. I think it might be a New Zealand flat worm.

Base price wrote: »
    It's hard to see properly and at first I thought it was an eel but the shape is wrong. I think it might be a New Zealand flat worm.

I had thought the same, about another 50 meters, I spread slurry on a silage field and thought it might have brought it up.

But my brothers boot is about 30cm and google says they grow to 17cm

I popped over looking for it. It’s still alive and hasn’t moved from there. It has fins and tail looks like an eels.

They are hardly common around here. So would I be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Pick it up and let us see :)

I popped over looking for it. It’s still alive and hasn’t moved from there. It has fins and tail looks like an eels.

They are hardly common around here. So would I be right?

I think you are right that it's an eel. They can travel over land from steams to ponds. I remember seeing some in a fresh water concrete cattle trough, (scary looking creatures).

It’s a eel. Pick it up and put it back into the stream if you can keep hold of it. They are very slimy and difficult to hold. It won’t bite you. Btw they are protected and unfortunately numbers are decreasing.

Definitely an eel. Gathered him in a bucket to show the small lads at home. My 5yo loves nature so w do extra school work based on animals we meet.

My OH and mother were the only ones screamish.

Back in the stream now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Definitely an eel. Gathered him in a bucket to show the small lads at home. My 5yo loves nature so w do extra school work based on animals we meet.

My OH and mother were the only ones screamish.

Back in the stream now.

Why didn't you eat him?

Why didn't you eat him?

The taste better if you cook them first.

Directions
    Clean and skin the eel, and then cut it into chunks. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, seasonings, oil, garlic, onion, and pepper. ...
    Dredge the marinated eel in flour. In a saute pan over medium heat, sear the eel until golden brown, about 7 minutes.

Why didn't you eat him?

Are they not protected now?
    To be honest, I’ve only eaten them once as a young lad.

I’m surprised anything is living in the stream with all the forestry in our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm pretty sure eel is protected now!
    I've eaten it before in sushi, very oily & strong but I quite liked it. Apparently there's big ones in the lake beside me, but not fished for very often as they have to do it at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Are they not protected now?
    To be honest, I’ve only eaten them once as a young lad.

I’m surprised anything is living in the stream with all the forestry in our area.

I'm with you.

I just had to get that question out of my system based on if my father seen that it'd be his first question.
    I wouldn't have a clue what to do with an eel or haven't even eaten one.
    It's a thing that the present generation wouldn't have a clue about. Either catching or preparing or eating.
    It's the changes in land and water management both urban and rural that must have numbers down.

My father lived on them in drains in the Sow river in this county as a teenager.

That poor shagger was born all the ways over in the Saragossa sea near the Bahamas before it made its way here to Ireland and will travel back there again to spawn.

They have a remarkable life. They are born in the Sargossa Sea and spend up to two years drifting on the currents before making their way to our/European rivers to live in freshwater streams and rivers for up to 15 years after which they head back out to the open ocean to the Sargossa Sea to spawn and die.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/nature-diary-european-eels-1.3464652

I'm with you.

I just had to get that question out of my system based on if my father seen that it'd be his first question.
    I wouldn't have a clue what to do with an eel or haven't even eaten one.
    It's a thing that the present generation wouldn't have a clue about. Either catching or preparing or eating.
    It's the changes in land and water management both urban and rural that must have numbers down.

My father lived on them in drains in the Sow river in this county as a teenager.

The only experience was a Sligo man was married to a neighbour and when he came home from England every year, he’d go fishing for a few weeks.

So i got to try some when be brought it to the neighbour. That was at least 25 years ago.

Just saw a bold fox crossing the front window.

A neighbour caught and dispatched, a mink and 4 cubs. They killed 11 of his pigeons.

Directions
    Clean and skin the eel, and then cut it into chunks. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, seasonings, oil, garlic, onion, and pepper. ...
    Dredge the marinated eel in flour. In a saute pan over medium heat, sear the eel until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
    As a young child I tasted fried eel cause my Grandad was eating it at the time. In more recent times I ate jellied eel and tbh I wouldn't try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Directions

If deciding to eat, kill it first. Skinning alive would be cruel!!

Remember a short story in school of silvery eels crossing the road making their way to a stream.

Advertisement