Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

In the last week:
    2 foxes
    Countless pheasants, mostly male
    One buzzard
    A few rabbits
    Lots of squirrels
    Hundreds of birds, many I don't know the name of

No rats, mice or pygmy shrews this Winter but I think that's down to the invasion of cats recently

Even the streams are full of small fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Biscuitus wrote: »
    In the last week:
    2 foxes
    One buzzard
    A few rabbits
    Lots of squirrels

No rats, mice or pygmy shrews this Winter but I think that's down to the invasion of cats recently

2 kids just spent last 5 mins observing/playing with a shrew

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

The Rabbi wrote: »
    If they are bigger than the crows and the crows are chasing them.They are
    probably buzzards.

How common are buzzards ?
    My next mission is the spot the Owl that was around last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    How common are buzzards ?
    My next mission is the spot the Owl that was around last year.

Probably one of your commonest BOP's now along with Sparrowhawks - if u want to encourage owls maybe look into suiteable nest boxes for large old trees or outbuildings. They also benefit from traditional hay meadows and WBC for hunting in. Also go with traps for rodent control given the risk of secondary poisoning with rodenticides. A pair orf owls will quickly take care of any vermin issues in any case

Biscuitus wrote: »
    In the last week:
    2 foxes
    One buzzard
    A few rabbits
    Lots of squirrels

Unfortunatly they are in stready decline as the invasive White-toothed shrew spreads after its accidental introduction into the South Midlands about 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Probably one of your commonest BOP's now along with Sparrowhawks - if u want to encourage owls maybe look into suiteable nest boxes for large old trees or outbuildings. They also benefit from traditional hay meadows and WBC for hunting in. Also go with traps for rodent control given the risk of secondary poisoning with rodenticides. A pair orf owls will quickly take care of any vermin issues in any case

I thought you had to have some mice around the place or else the owls mightn't come/stay? (Not that that is any reason to actively get vermin around!).

I'd love to attract owls to the farm. Have an outbuilding that would be perfect for a nest box I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Amazing how wildlife works.

At back of house today were two hen pheasants flirting/fighting over a cock pheasant who was standing still and watching it all happen about 3 feet away from them.

This went on for 1 hour.

I thought you had to have some mice around the place or else the owls mightn't come/stay? (Not that that is any reason to actively get vermin around!).

I'd love to attract owls to the farm. Have an outbuilding that would be perfect for a nest box I reckon.

Having good habitat within a mile or 2 would be key ie, rough pasture, spring tillage etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jeffrey

Several swallows flying about today, this seems alot earlier than other years.
    Anyone else notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

jeffrey wrote: »
    Anyone else notice them.

I thought I saw one, only one but it was so early I haven't mentioned it.

Next few days are warm, I'll know more then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

I heard a Corncrake at 10 pm a few nights go.
    Quite an unusual sound.
    Never heard one before, dad confirmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

JoeCasey wrote: »
    I heard a Corncrake at 10 pm a few nights go.
    Quite an unusual sound.
    Never heard one before, dad confirmed it.

Excellent! Where in the country are you Joe?

Our housemartins are back today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

North Kerry on the cork border.
    We are also in a hen harrier area, i hope there is no conflict between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jeffrey wrote: »
    Anyone else notice them.

Yea I saw one today. (Wexford).

Thought I heard one yesterday. So it seems that was confirmed by today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We have a cock pheasant in our back yard and last night a very large hair came to the front of the house, sniffed around where the small lady’s bedroom is- she’s convinced it’s the Easter bunny scoping out entry points.

Amazing how wildlife works.

At back of house today were two hen pheasants flirting/fighting over a cock pheasant who was standing still and watching it all happen about 3 feet away from them.

This went on for 1 hour.

https://youtu.be/5ssFr62l7U4

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have a cock pheasant in our back yard and last night a very large hair came to the front of the house, sniffed around where the small lady’s bedroom is- she’s convinced it’s the Easter bunny scoping out entry points.

The good news is Simon Harris has said the Easter Bunny is an essential worker.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/easter-bunny-simon-harris-5068604-Apr2020/

Water John wrote: »
    The good news is Simon Harris has said the Easter Bunny is an essential worker.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/easter-bunny-simon-harris-5068604-Apr2020/

Remember the times when Easter was about our Lord carrying a cross up a hill while being flogged by Roman soldiers.
    And being crucified between two thieves and having a Roman soldier pierce his side with a spear.

Those were good times in primary school.

There's resident starlings and jackdaws in the farmyard.
    Few pigeons and a sparrowhawk that comes in for his/her feed on the pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jphoulihan

It's sad to see the hawks targeting peaceful and harmless pigeons. They are so sneaky and cowardly! They should take on grey crows and magpies!

• Advertisement

jphoulihan wrote: »
    It's sad to see the hawks targeting peaceful and harmless pigeons. They are so sneaky and cowardly! They should take on grey crows and magpies!

I'm not sure nature works like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Remember the times when Easter was about our Lord carrying a cross up a hill while being flogged by Roman soldiers.
    And being crucified between two thieves and having a Roman soldier pierce his side with a spear.

Those were good times in primary school.
    Brian 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Sad, peaceful, harmless, sneaky, cowardly? Some first post, attributing human traits to birds. Get a grip man, pigeons are their natural prey. Do you think they have meetings to decide which species they'll pick on this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It'd be a bit different if it was people targeting Hawks , those people would be sad gitts,sneaky and cowardly ...
    How many types of Hawks actually go for pigeons anyway ? A sparrow hawk is probably a bit small , a buzzard goes for ground animals ,
    Falcons yup ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Pheasant in the front field beating up all the other contenders. Its quite entertaining and somewhat comical at times to see him run a lad across the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Cock pheasants EVERYWHERE! Seen one with two hens on the outfarm, prancing about the WBC though so he's happy. Also seen a vixen & two cubs in the next field so hope Mr Pheasant isn't complacent :pac:

One cuckoo belting away on the outfarm, one beside the lake & one across the moor fields as we call them. There's usually one in the forestry on the Drumlish road too but haven't heard that one yet.
    Couple of stonechats around an old quarry which is surrounded by whins. They're never around our farm so it's nice to see them elsewhere.

Almost walked on two snipe yesterday too, in two different corners of this field. Not sure if they nest there but they always appear there in spring & frighten the bejaysus out of me numerous times.

1eWMlYah.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Spotted a hen harrier this evening. Flew down the middle of one of my fields and landed in the neighbours. Not a HH designated area but he has plenty of cover in his fields.
    All the birds on the power lines with absolutely crazy when they spotted it and scattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A couple of last year's fox cubs running around here during the day, doing stuff that the older ones wouldn't dream of, haven't seen any of this year's cubs yet.
    The badgers have been spring cleaning recently, and the place is alive with rabbits, haven't seen so many in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Spotted this in a drain a few weeks back

Advertisement