Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Very interesting, I've never seen these before. Maybe you could also include some hazel and plum trees in your fruit hedge? Great idea!

Great idea is right...

Where are you getting the plants JD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I'm not a cook ha so there's feck all presentation but this is the only photo I could find. I put cinnamon in it as has a very "chrismassy" taste.

The tree I had was too big to move so had to go.

Great idea is right...

Where are you getting the plants JD?

Future Forests Dinzee.

Very interesting, I've never seen these before. Maybe you could also include some hazel and plum trees in your fruit hedge? Great idea!

Only thing about plums is the have a tendency to spread out a good bit. But the damsons are the plum in that. Haven't got it fully figured out, could be a disaster like so many of my other ideas but will give it a go as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

endainoz wrote: »
    Hazel is another one that grows from cuttings. I found out accidentally, was making a tee-pee shape for runner beans with hazel as its has good strong branches. Went to move them recently and realized they had taken root! I'm sure there are plenty of others like that, alder perhaps?

You can find blackthorn suckers quite readily. And they'll take fairly fast once planted. Only problem then is that they produce more suckers. The sloes are wicked though for making sloe gin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

gozunda wrote: »
    You can find blackthorn suckers quite readily. And they'll take fairly fast once planted. Only problem then is that they produce more suckers. The sloes are wicked though for making sloe gin.
    Here is a recipe that I cut out of the Horse and Hound many years ago. I still use it when making sloe gin but I omit the almond essence cause I hate the smell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

NcdJd wrote: »
    Yeah perfect time now and the next few weeks. I'm gonna split a field in two and an thinking of doing a sort of fruit hedge. Medlar, damsons ( cultivated variety ), couple of hawthorn, mountain ash. Maybe a few apples/ pears. Not going fully up the field, leaving room at each headland for tractor. Not really sure where I'm going with this but it's in my head and can't get the idea out of my head now :)

Edit i suppose not really a hedge as trees will be spaced a couple of feet apart. I think hawthorn is a lovely tree on it's own.

Could add wild cherry and crab apple if looking to mix it up. Both are native AFAIK and flower pretty well too once they mature.
    Dog rose might be an option to fill in around the base.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Only thing about plums is the have a tendency to spread out a good bit. But the damsons are the plum in that. Haven't got it fully figured out, could be a disaster like so many of my other ideas but will give it a go as they say!

Try a couple of greengage's while you're at it for the variety.
    We have plum and damson here and greengage but it's yet to fruit. I'd be hoping 2021 will be it's first year. The damsons were good this year and the plums poor.
    I've never heard of those medlars!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Some fantastic info here folks! Particularly about the Sloe gin ;). I think it might be time for a hedging thread?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some fantastic info here folks! Particularly about the Sloe gin ;). I think it might be time for a hedgingbrewing thread?!

FYP:pac:

• Advertisement

FYP:pac:

Maybe I'm getting too complicated and should just put down a line of cider apples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

IMO in terms of scale and colour its hard to beat Silver Birch and Lime at this time of year. Paid a visit to Maynooth Old Campus recently and the old Lime avenues there are something special at this time of year:)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    IMO in terms of scale and colour its hard to beat Silver Birch and Lime at this time of year. Paid a visit to Maynooth Old Campus recently and the old Lime avenues there are something special at this time of year:)

I'm gonna have to get the pen and paper out from all the trees that have been mentioned in the last couple of pages of this thread and write them down. So many great suggestions!

Some fantastic info here folks! Particularly about the Sloe gin ;). I think it might be time for a hedging thread?!

I like the sole gin myself but I'm much happier to go pick sloes elsewhere rather than plant Blackthorn and have it spread out from the hedge!
    Won't be long till I'll gather a few lbs of them. Stick em in the freezer and they're ready to rock then.
    You don't have to stop at Sloe Gin. Sloe Whiskey and Sloe Vodka is good too.
    Also, possibly the nicest of all is Damson Gin. A unique flavour. There's nothing else like damson.

I like the sole gin myself but I'm much happier to go pick sloes elsewhere rather than plant Blackthorn and have it spread out from the hedge!
    Won't be long till I'll gather a few lbs of them. Stick em in the freezer and they're ready to rock then.
    You don't have to stop at Sloe Gin. Sloe Whiskey and Sloe Vodka is good too.
    Also, possibly the nicest of all is Damson Gin. A unique flavour. There's nothing else like damson.
    Do you mean Damson poitin?

A Latvian friend "made" it for us a few years ago. I don't like the smell/taste of whiskey/poitin but that damson stuff was nice. A hot glass of it after a cold Winter's day out and about on the farm, feet up in front of the fire, telly on to watch the news.

Base price wrote: »
    Do you mean Damson poitin?

A Latvian friend "made" it for us a few years ago. I don't like the smell/taste of whiskey/poitin but that damson stuff was nice. A hot glass of it after a cold Winter's day out and about on the farm, feet up in front of the fire, telly on to watch the news.

I've never tried it with poitin, no doubt it'd be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Birdnuts wrote: »

I had to read that twice. I though in context with the other comments that Silver Birch and Lime was a home alcoholic brew you were making :pac:

I've had birch sap wine and it was damn good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've never tried it with poitin, no doubt it'd be nice.

It’s very nice but like allot of the flavoured poitin, it’s very easy to drink a bit too much.

We made damson wine a few years ago and it was very nice. It’s just hard to get a crop in these parts with late frosts. Haven’t had any in 2 years and last great crop maybe 4 years ago.

Anyone ever come across yellow damsons ? There used to be one of my father's fields when I was a young fella. Wonder was it one someone planted.

Anyone ever come across yellow damsons ? There used to be one of my father's fields when I was a young fella. Wonder was it one someone planted.
    There used to be a couple of them in Rivervalley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Greenland geese on the Boira since yesterday . On route to north slob. Around 80.

There used to be a couple of them in Rivervalley.

In the park ?

In the park ?
    Yes, between the Forest road entrance and the steel bridge there’s a hedge that runs perpendicular to the path. There used to be some growing there.

Yes, between the Forest road entrance and the steel bridge there’s a hedge that runs perpendicular to the path. There used to be some growing there.

The sausage :)

Edit There was a wooded area there that people went to drink cans. After you cross the bridge heading towards rivervalley. It was known as the Sausage. I was there one Halloween with friends and ended up having to walk home as I was black from the smoke of the tyre thrown on the fire so was too embarrassed to get the bus. Had to climb in the bathroom window as my parents would have killed me if they saw the state of me.

Was it yourself Endainoz who was planning on putting something in a shed to attract barn owls?

Seen a barn owl on Halloween night. I sighted another one in the same field later but was probably the same one.

Good information here re nest box construction and placement if you didn't see it already

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/

Was it yourself Endainoz who was planning on putting something in a shed to attract barn owls?

Seen a barn owl on Halloween night. I sighted another one in the same field later but was probably the same one.

Good information here re nest box construction and placement if you didn't see it already

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/

Indeed it was, I have seen the plans for the barn owl box alright but just haven't got around to making it. One of those jobs on the long finger, you know yourself!

On an unrelated note, I can't understand how this new pilot scheme would be targeted at 'non glas' farmers.

Two things here: first I'm not sure how much sense this makes, there were surely plenty of people who didn't bother with glas on purpose because it didn't fit into their system or that they didn't see the benefits of joining an environmental scheme because they might not want to be restricted in spraying or topping their paddocks or whatever, which is fine by the way, not making dogs at them. I just can't see these same farmers to be that interested.

Secondly, the narrative that lads were stuck in AEOS were stuck in their contract and couldn't join GLAS dosent hold up either with GLAS having different entry years. (I joined GLAS 3 myself because I had to finish an AEOS contract)

Anyways, sorry for the long winded post! Any thoughts?

Check this out on Agriland - Pilot scheme to be introduced for non-GLAS farmers next year https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/pilot-scheme-to-be-introduced-for-non-glas-farmers-next-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

As a 'non GLAS farmer' I'd be very happy to enter new environmental schemes. There are plenty of us who didn't go in or in my case got kicked out for admin reasons. We were starting a farm transfer when my dad went into GLAS at tier 1 on the basis that we had breeding Connemara ponies, plenty of confusion etc ensued during the transfer. Final point was that his membership of the Connemara Pony Breeders society and my new membership didn't overlap and that was cause enough to kick me out despite the money I had already invested in coppicing hedges, planting a grove of native Irish trees, planting native Irish apples etc. I appealed but got a very snotty rude response about having to retain a membership of a rare breed society at all times. I explained that I was a member within a month of the transfer and that there was a whole application and approval system to become a member which I thought would happen more quickly but in the end I had to pay back what was paid to my father and also foot the bill for all the trees, fencing labour etc myself :(.
    Yes I'm very bitter, it was a lovely way to start my relationship with the department and their schemes.
    Anyway, now I let the ponies in among the trees to graze the grass down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭minerleague

Fluppen wrote: »
    As a 'non GLAS farmer' I'd be very happy to enter new environmental schemes. There are plenty of us who didn't go in or in my case got kicked out for admin reasons. We were starting a farm transfer when my dad went into GLAS at tier 1 on the basis that we had breeding Connemara ponies, plenty of confusion etc ensued during the transfer. Final point was that his membership of the Connemara Pony Breeders society and my new membership didn't overlap and that was cause enough to kick me out despite the money I had already invested in coppicing hedges, planting a grove of native Irish trees, planting native Irish apples etc. I appealed but got a very snotty rude response about having to retain a membership of a rare breed society at all times. I explained that I was a member within a month of the transfer and that there was a whole application and approval system to become a member which I thought would happen more quickly but in the end I had to pay back what was paid to my father and also foot the bill for all the trees, fencing labour etc myself :(.
    Yes I'm very bitter, it was a lovely way to start my relationship with the department and their schemes.

Sorry to hear this, find dept. inspectors have a "computer says no" attitude with little leeway for genuine examples like above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭monseiur

Fluppen wrote: »
    You should appeal this and get a letter form the relevant pony society stating the date you originally applied for membership and explaining the process in becoming a member for the first time and how long it takes etc. - something you would not be aware of at the time.
    Also the fact that your father was previously a member and had horses on the farm all along should help.
    Your are basically continuing what was already established and the small gap in membership was due to administration delays in the pony society.
    Some of these societies are voluntary groups and only meet once or twice a year so it can take ages for new members to be registered.

Advertisement