Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

NcdJd wrote: »
    Was looking at something like this some time ago for a corner of a field that i can't do anything with. They have down a cost of 10 k.. i can't figure out how this costs 10k to put up ? I've alot of blocks and sand left over..

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/barn-owl-nestbox/wildlife-tower

They likely did it by the book, so health and safety jazz and proper stonemason on official rates and so forth. It wouldn't be long adding up, particularly if there was any hint of public money being spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

They likely did it by the book, so health and safety jazz and proper stonemason on official rates and so forth. It wouldn't be long adding up, particularly if there was any hint of public money being spent.

I was thinking that. Wealthy estate owner and everyone fleecing them for as much as possible. When I saw the old red brick added in there's money involved and probably old slate to make it more blending in with the old feel of it. It's a good idea but the price is off the wall.

Fox waiting on his bit of grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fox waiting on his bit of grub.

Aye we have few like that around looking for poultry ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Aye we have few like that around looking for poultry ...

Handy for keeping control of the rabbits and rats. Here's one for ya man, would they take geese ? Was often thinking of fencing off the orchard area I have and putting a few geese in it to keep the grass down.

• Advertisement

Handy for keeping control of the rabbits and rats. Here's one for ya man, would they take geese ? Was often thinking of fencing off the orchard area I have and putting a few geese in it to keep the grass down.

Yes they take geese. And with fencing - foxes will go under, over and through most. I've seen them try to eat the siding off a wooden shed to gain entry to poultry Best thing for an orchard would be electrified poultry fencing run off a mains charger. Its the only fencing they seem to respect.

I've a wild bird / water fowl area near a piece of forestry and a significant number of nesting birds where wipped out by foxes. They can do a lot of damage. Around here they are falling out of the trees 🌳

Just remembered these photos by a wildlife photographer of foxes trying to take down wild geese in the UK. Some shot.

PAY-fox-v-goose.jpg

Had a post that I put down for a pear tree that was a bit unstable but unfortunately broke at the root stock.

Buzzard is now using it for keeping an eye on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

There's about 10 of these attached to the roof of one of the sheds. Anyone know what makes them?

IMG-20201021-144524.jpg

IMG-20201021-144904.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

They're a type of wasp I think but can't recall the exact name now. Wood wasp? Normal wasp? Waspy McWaspface?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ordinary wasp I'd say, aka wassie normolous.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

You're right RG, here's the inside of another one:

IMG-20201023-133911.jpg

First time I've seen them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone know if this will be a moth or a butterfly?530360.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

blue5000 wrote: »

The chances are its a moth - given that we have only around 30 species of butterflies but 1500 + of moths!!

PS - AFAIK the only species of Butterfly that lives on Docks is the Small Copper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Moth I think, here's all yer 'Hairy Horses'

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/guide-to-british-caterpillars/identifying-hairy-caterpillars/

Would it be a White Ermine moth caterpillar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think it's a Fox moth caterpillar.
    http://www.irishmoths.net/
    Edit - After looking at pictures, I think Kovu has identified it correctly.

You're right RG, here's the inside of another one:

IMG-20201023-133911.jpg

First time I've seen them.

If even one overwinters- you'll possibly end up with a shed you won't be able to use next year.

Evil bastsrds. I'll destroy every one of them next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Evil bastsrds. I'll destroy every one of them next year.

Really, evil, how? Your attitude is outdated I'm afraid.

They play a role in keeping pest insects down and in important pollinators. If they bother you swing an arm and they go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Had a post that I put down for a pear tree that was a bit unstable but unfortunately broke at the root stock.

Buzzard is now using it for keeping an eye on things.

Nice, I never get close enough to the buzzards round here and I swear they can sense me taking out the phone to take a picture.
    On another note, anyone seeing more rats around at the moment? Suddenly seeing more alive and dead both on the road and on the farm around here. Here being near Wexford.

Here are the pictures I did get :) I know there was one in the trees in the last picture, bonus to anyone that can spot it, I can't.

• Advertisement

Here are the pictures I did get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Fluppen wrote: »
    Nice, I never get close enough to the buzzards round here and I swear they can sense me taking out the phone to take a picture.
    On another note, anyone seeing more rats around at the moment? Suddenly seeing more alive and dead both on the road and on the farm around here. Here being near Wexford.
    No rats yet to be seen but the mice have moved into the hay shed. I was taking out a bale of straw yesterday and I saw three running from under it. The dog got one but I need to have a serious chat with the yard cats about the situation :)

They play a role in keeping pest insects down and in important pollinators. If they bother you swing an arm and they go away.

Yes, I see now that my attitude to being stung for no reason is outdated. Thank you, Internet expert for pointing out the error of my ways. I wish you many wasps.

Fluppen wrote: »

They have great eyesight. Only reason I got so close was my father spotted it out the window and I had to put the phone around the corner of the house and just keep clicking the camera in the hope of getting a couple of good shots. That one seems to have taken up residency in our field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Swing an arm and they will attack, better to move away quietly if you happen to accidentally disturb them.

Swing an arm and they will attack, better to move away quietly if you happen to accidentally disturb them.

Or else run like fuk when you see them coming for you ... ;)

The make a handy snack for some bird species including starlings, blackbirds and magpies

Interestingly Wasps are carnivorous ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

gozunda wrote: »
    Or else run like fuk when you see them coming for you ... ;)

The make a handy snack for some bird species including starlings, blackbirds and magpies

Interestingly Wasps are carnivorous ...

A bird that might spread naturally here someday(may have even been here in the past when we had more native woodland cover) is the Honey Buzzard and specializes in feeding on wasp nests - its already breeding in the UK. Slightly larger and more gracefull then a common buzzard with the adults having a strange vulture like head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I'm talking about how most people encounter one or two buzzing around if eating/drinking etc. They always go away and don't attack if you stay calm and wave your arm at them. When people get in a tizzy is when they get stung.

Toddler came to me in garden with 3 of them on his ice cream and had no fear. They were happily eating the ice cream and crawling on his hands and had no notion of stinging him as he was calm.

• Advertisement

Spotted a large bird of prey this morning and was thinking maybe a short ear owl, much larger than a female sparrowhawk, smaller than a buzzard. Light coloured wings, head was large enough. Absolutely mobbed by crows and seagulls. Flew up fairly high and sort of had a awkward way when flapping wings. Stumped I am at what it was. Light coloured over all. Looked up harrier but the tail would not have been as long. Long wingspan but not quiet as long as a buzzard.

Edit would not have been the fastest of flyers. Nearly like the way a heron flies.

Advertisement