Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It's kinda like me & George, he's my spider in one window! He kills, drags it under the sill.......perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

NcdJd wrote: »
    Spotted a large bird of prey this morning and was thinking maybe a short ear owl, much larger than a female sparrowhawk, smaller than a buzzard. Light coloured wings, head was large enough. Absolutely mobbed by crows and seagulls. Flew up fairly high and sort of had a awkward way when flapping wings. Stumped I am at what it was. Light coloured over all. Looked up harrier but the tail would not have been as long. Long wingspan but not quiet as long as a buzzard.

Edit would not have been the fastest of flyers. Nearly like the way a heron flies.
    Could it have been a Kite. They are plenty around me and closer to Ballyboughil/Rowlestown.
    Edit to add - I've seen them around Ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

alluring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Base price wrote: »
    Could it have been a Kite. They are plenty around me and closer to Ballyboughil/Rowlestown.
    Edit to add - I've seen them around Ashbourne.

No Base it wasn't a kite. Instead of gawking at it I should have took a photo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Spotted a large bird of prey this morning and was thinking maybe a short ear owl, much larger than a female sparrowhawk, smaller than a buzzard. Light coloured wings, head was large enough. Absolutely mobbed by crows and seagulls. Flew up fairly high and sort of had a awkward way when flapping wings. Stumped I am at what it was. Light coloured over all. Looked up harrier but the tail would not have been as long. Long wingspan but not quiet as long as a buzzard.

Edit would not have been the fastest of flyers. Nearly like the way a heron flies.

Could be - a good few winter on the S and E coasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Light coloured as in white?

There's a cattle egret was spotted today in Dunboyne.
    I wonder was it your mystery bird?

Light coloured as in white?

There's a cattle egret was spotted today in Dunboyne.
    I wonder was it your mystery bird?

Nope say my name not an egret. I seen a couple of these last year. I thought they were white plastic bags at first until I looked closer at them !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

There's a very pale, almost white, Buzzard in south Wexford at the moment if you're anywhere near there? Otherwise, there are a small number of very pale Red Kites too - a result of genetic bottle-necking in the Welsh population I think. If I remember correctly, white birds look smaller than dark birds, even if they're the same size.

There's a very pale, almost white, Buzzard in south Wexford at the moment if you're anywhere near there? Otherwise, there are a small number of very pale Red Kites too - a result of genetic bottle-necking in the Welsh population I think. If I remember correctly, white birds look smaller than dark birds, even if they're the same size.

Hi OpenYourEyes, don't think it was a buzzard, I see them about regulary and never seen a white one. ( North Dublin near Airport )

Only thing I'd say about the Kite is that this didn't have a forked tail. I seen a Red Kite once fly over heading towards Swords / Donabate direction.

It alighted from a tall hawthorn hedge, Buzzards usually like a clean branch they can perch on with a good view. I'm kicking myself I wasn't more alert when it was at that level. Anyway never know might see it again sometime.

All not lost I saw two kestrels that morning, which I'm delighted about as they were missing for a few years where I am and only spotted one a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nope say my name not an egret. I seen a couple of these last year. I thought they were white plastic bags at first until I looked closer at them !

All the indications are that this bird will be as widespread and common as the Little Egret is now - its been spreading NW from Africa and Asia for 100 years at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »
    All the indications are that this bird will be as widespread and common as the Little Egret is now - its been spreading NW from Africa and Asia for 100 years at this stage

It's amazing to think that it was about 100 years ago a few birds were blown over from Africa to South America and now today it ranges from south America to Nova Scotia.
    The Bird likes the sexy times. :pac:

@ NcdJd
    Could it have been a male hen harrier - I know they are scarce but you never know!
    They are grey/light blue with black wing tips and are smaller than the females. Obviously the females don't have the same colouring.
    I saw one this time last year passing over our place in Longford and it was flocked/harassed by crows and jackdaws.

Base price wrote: »
    @ NcdJd
    Could it have been a male hen harrier - I know they are scarce but you never know!
    They are grey/light blue with black wing tips and are smaller than the females. Obviously the females don't have the same colouring.
    I saw one this time last year passing over our place in Longford and it was flocked/harassed by crows and jackdaws.

That popped into my head Base, but was thinking they wouldn't be near open farm land would they ? It had a large head on it but not the size of a barn or long eared owl.

That popped into my head Base, but was thinking they wouldn't be near open farm land would they ? It had a large head on it but not the size of a barn or long eared owl.
    I don't know to be honest but I reckon the lad I saw was just passing through as I've never seen hen harriers around before. I though he was a young male looking for mate?
    Although the crows/jackdaws were harassing him it didn't seem to bother him a twit.

Some from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Some from yesterday.

What’s planted in the first pic?

What’s planted in the first pic?

Winter wheat Dinzee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Some from yesterday.

You take good photos, have you had a look at pics posted in the boards photography section. You should post photos there too.

You take good photos, have you had a look at pics posted in the boards photography section.

Thanks Lime tree, it's more the camera on my phone than me ha. I'd rather just dump them in here.

Tractor sowing said wheat on the 12th Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Thanks Lime tree, it's more the camera on my phone than me ha. I'd rather just dump them in here.

I would have said it’s up well for only about 2 weeks in?
    Bit, I’m not a tillage farmer, so maybe that’s normal growth...

I would have said it’s up well for only about 2 weeks in?
    Bit, I’m not a tillage farmer, so maybe that’s normal growth...

Strike is good there but there are other more shaded / damp areas in the same field that are slightly behind in growth and germination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Rescued a hedgehog from the netting of the kids goalposts. In a pet carrier with hot water bottle and blanket. The poor maggot must be out all night in this weather. Hopefully he’ll make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

view?usp=drivesdk

Found this guy in garage one morning dog give him greaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Attie Ross wrote: »
    view?usp=drivesdk

Found this guy in garage one morning dog give him greaf.

"Now just a dog gone minute"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

What's your day job again?! ;)
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/from-the-tramlines-gates-nearly-closed-for-the-season-578480

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

"Now just a dog gone minute"

Image link doesn't seem to be working :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ha I don't work for the farmers journal and that was taken in Dublin. Can't get by the paywall, any way of viewing the article ?

• Advertisement

Love this time of the year.

Advertisement