Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales v Ireland 31/8/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

For all of Stockys tries for Ireland, Ireland have won the match.
    ie stocky has never lost an international game in which he has gotten a try.

Just sayin.

Think he's now equal 7th all time Ireland top try scorer. Mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just caught the second twenty of the first half. Addison looking rather good. Kilkoyne also. Am I right? Who else has had a good game? How have the back row done?

Conway and Bundee going very well.

We're still not really running into the pass at ruck time. Not sure that'll ever change.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

bilston wrote: »
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    Carty a little bit disappointing for me. Aki having to check for a few passes and missed two kicks you’d expect him to get. Still my 3rd outhalf to go however

I think Carty's level dipped a little bit as the half went on. But he started very well.

To give Carty some credit, the Welsh back-row increased the pressure they were putting on him as the half went on and it’s caught him off guard a bit I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Plane wise, a lotus going to come down to who Joe sees as Kearney's cover. You'd have expected it to be covered by Larmour/Conway/Henshaw buy Addison looks a better fullback than any of them. But he covers 13 and not really wing. So maybe Farrell misses out for him? One of Larmour/Farrell/Addison so. Gonna book down to what Joe wants for squad cover.

Killer passing McGrath out and Carty passing Byrne. Beirne not involved. Conan and Binder on the plane anyway but going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Uriel. wrote: »
    For all of Stockys tries for Ireland, Ireland have won the match.
    ie stocky has never lost an international game in which he has gotten a try.

Just sayin.

Think he's now equal 7th all time Ireland top try scorer. Mad.

Edit: 9th equal. Still impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Beirne has been shocking today haven’t seen him at all.

Kilcoyne Addison and Conway really putting hands up !

Addison has done well. But no more then that IMO.

It's a scratch Welsh team and we haven't had an attacking platform in their 22 so far. A moment of brilliance on halfway and an intercept effectively have been our scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Finally, an answer to the perennial question, how good a jockey would Michael Owen make?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Stockdale is a predator but prone to lapses in judgement. Wales have been more so far, Ireland made too many handling errors but getting away with it against this second string wales side. Certainly a better looking scoreline than last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Big takeaway for me:

We need to bring the barber to Japan. He had played a blinder this week and obviously had a big impact on our back line. Bundee and Stockdale look much smarter and more organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Farrell's distribution is superb, he's thrown some lovely long passes. Zebo is the only other player I've seen comfortable at slinging it long fast and wide into the winger's breadbasket.

Been impressed with his defence too, a couple of times he's shaped to rush up and realised it's not on and slid wide instead.

Let's be honest though, this is nowhere near what England threw at us last week.

Impressed with Killer Carty Conway and Ryan. Beirne is quiet, Conan is only so-so.

Larmour will be nervous like others have said. Aki is out to prove a point also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

leakyboots wrote: »
    Farrell's distribution is superb, he's thrown some lovely long passes. Zebo is the only other player I've seen comfortable at slinging it long fast and wide into the winger's breadbasket.

Farrell has thrown one pass to the ground and another to Stockdale that was 100 percent forward and not called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Kilcoyne the stand out
    Conway Carty James Ryan going well

Beirne basically a spectator.

Wouldn't be surprised if Addison and Conway make the plane ahead of Larmour and Henshaw

Larmour in real danger of missing out

Henshaw, when fit, will be a first 15 player. Addison won't make the cut. Larmour will. As will Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

A lot of handling errors by Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PinaKolada

Don't think Larmour will miss out as a result of this game. This second string Wales team look more like Italy.

Conway and Addison definitely making good arguments for inclusion though. But I'd say Larmour will be in the squad again next week and unless he's poor he'll be in with a good shout of travelling as a utility back.

I wonder will Earls lack of game time remove him from consideration given the competition for spots is so tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Carty has had a few lovely moments. He’s thrown a few passes left to right at Aki’s inside shoulder which have made him check his run. Very heads up player. Will only get better with more game time with Ireland. Probably done enough to get onto the plane. Could easily have been very different if he had started last week and Byrne this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

leakyboots wrote: »

Been impressed with his defence too, a couple of times he's shaped to rush up and realised it's not on and slid wide instead.

Let's be honest though, this is nowhere near what England threw at us last week.

Impressed with Killer Carty Conway and Ryan. Beirne is quiet, Conan is only so-so.

Larmour will be nervous like others have said. Aki is out to prove a point also

Larmour has dazzling feet but im not sure he's international standard to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Must remember wales have been ****e. We learn today we have more depth than they do which he knew from club level anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Kearney on for Stockdale

a few provincial rose-tinted spectacles being worn today :)

• Advertisement

Two poor kicks from Carty there put us under pressure. Great turnover by Marmion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

reg114 wrote: »
    Larmour has dazzling feet but im not sure he's international standard to be honest.

He’s a kid yet, he’ll play in many world cups yet. Personally think he’ll get picked for this one too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well done Marmion! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Marmion at 7?

Carty isn’t finding touch. That’s a couple of times that’s happened now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭twinytwo

PinaKolada wrote: »
    Don't think Larmour will miss out as a result of this game. This second string Wales team look more like Italy.

Conway and Addison definitely making good arguments for inclusion though. But I'd say Larmour will be in the squad again next week and unless he's poor he'll be in with a good shout of travelling as a utility back.

I wonder will Earls lack of game time remove him from consideration given the competition for spots is so tight?

Earls is the best winger in the country.. along with sexton, furlong and Ryan.. the 4 players 100% going unless injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh. That's not good for Addison with a blood injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Conan jogging back there. That's been noted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Conan had a serious opportunity to poach and just didn't bother.

• Advertisement

I've never really considered Ringrose as wing cover, but didn't he play there for Leinster in his early days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Faugheen wrote: »
    Carty isn’t finding touch. That’s a couple of times that’s happened now.

Yeah it’s a fault in his game, had thought Schmidt would be drilling it out of him

Would like to see that back line now.

Conway at FB and Ringrose and Dave on the wing?

Dave has made some big tackles so far. I wouldn’t be ruling him out of the conversation just yet. I highly doubt it, but he’s played really well this year well below the radar.

bilston wrote: »
    I've never really considered Ringrose as wing cover, but didn't he play there for Leinster in his early days?

Yep, played a bit at 14 when he first broke through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Is Joe Schmidt not essentially conservative in his selections - stick to the lads who've delivered before? Nothing much in it for him to be too experimental with this WC as he's gone afterwards anyway, regardless of outcome. May as well play safe etc.

Wales upped it a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s a fault in his game, had thought Schmidt would be drilling it out of him

Don't think he was trying to find touch....

Also, Gatland clearly gave Wales a bollocking at HT. They’ve looked much better already.

Scrum goes forward one time and back the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Good scrum by Porter there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gwan Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

reg114 wrote: »

Larmour can cover 11, 13, 14,15 al from the bench

He is always one of the quickest players with amazing feet.

A tired SA team will hate to see him coming off the bench. I thought Addison could maybe push him for a spot but not on todays performance

Conway looks to be on the plane which I didntexpect at the start of preseason games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ouch, very poor by Farrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ah hell. We should have scored there.

Poor from Ireland not to score there.

Farrell won’t be going unless Henshaw is injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ah damn. That was gearing up to be a great try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

What happened to the pick and go? Got to the line and went backwards

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Taxi for Farrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Shefwedfan wrote: »

A tired SA team will hate to see him coming off the bench. I thought Addison could maybe push him for a spot but not on todays performance

Conway looks to be on the plane which I didntexpect at the start of preseason games

Larmour has been a poor international.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Addison has played well. He got bundled into touch once which was poor, but other than that he has defended well and loses a threat going forward. I'd say the question is being asked.

However Larmour will be favourite to get the nod.

• Advertisement
Advertisement