Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

wrangler wrote: »
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Good to know

Most trucks on the motorway are doing 95+

They all have limiters fitted but they are very easily over ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Most trucks on the motorway are doing 95+

That doesn't make then legal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

dzer2 wrote: »
    They all have limiters fitted but they are very easily over ridden.

There's a tolerance on speed limits, so there's probably a tolerance on speed limiters too, trucks seem to all drive between 90 and 100

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If iou went to court and said “Your Honor, I was only speeding so other drivers were not inconvenienced” i’d Say you wouldn’t get much sympathy.
    The speed limit for towing a trailer on a motorway remains 80kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

There was a machinery dealer lorry pulled into the entrance to my farm a feww days ago, 2 slurry pumps on the back and he wss towing a slurry tanker. It was a galvanised 1100 gallon tank with dribble bar.

I was heading out so i asked who he was looking for. Neighbouring farmer that milks 30 to 35 cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

There was a machinery dealer lorry pulled into the entrance to my farm a feww days ago, 2 slurry pumps on the back and he wss towing a slurry tanker. It was a galvanised 1100 gallon tank with dribble bar.

I was heading out so i asked who he was looking for. Neighbouring farmer that milks 30 to 35 cows.
    Imagine the scandal if he was a suckler calving 30 to 35 cows! Now that would put the neighbours talking rightly haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

emaherx wrote: »
    Illegal on all motorways.

Can lorries legally use the outside lane to overtake slower vehicles on the inside?
    Saw an old man t'other day on the M17 in a 35x drawing an 8x4 cattle box. Cops would have gone to town on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If iou went to court and said “Your Honor, I was only speeding so other drivers were not inconvenienced” i’d Say you wouldn’t get much sympathy.
    The speed limit for towing a trailer on a motorway remains 80kmph

I have never got points so will carry on till I do, Lorries don't want you stuck in front of them, I delivered lambs this morning and most of the lorries that I tailed were doing nearer to 100 than 90.......normally I'd be gone out by them but this discussion had me curious.
    maybe the hilux is wrong, must check it with the puegeot, I seldom abide by the speed limit with that either.
    I'd go to Camolin regular, must be 190kms motorway, never see a speed van

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭emaherx

I have never got points so will carry on till I do, Lorries don't want you stuck in front of them, I delivered lambs this morning and most of the lorries that I tailed were doing nearer to 100 than 90.......normally I'd be gone out by them but this discussion had me curious.
    maybe the hilux is wrong, must check it with the puegeot, I seldom abide by the speed limit with that either.

If you are doing 100 by the clock on your Hilux you probably are doing closer to 90.

MfMan wrote: »
    Can lorries legally use the outside lane to overtake slower vehicles on the inside?
    Saw an old man t'other day on the M17 in a 35x drawing an 8x4 cattle box. Cops would have gone to town on him.

No is the simple answer.
    However a 35x is taking the piss, I'm sure any Guard who came across a lorry passing that wouldn't be concerned with the lorry.

Suppose lorry driver could claim the 35 was an obstruction in the inside lane? In which case maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭hopeso

My opinion is that if you are being help up behind a lorry, it's because there's a car in front holding him up....and I'm always proven right. This isn't on duel carriage ways either, but normal rural Ireland roads. I don't know how lorry drivers stand it, being stuck behind some numpty doing 45mph in a perfectly capable car. I see it every time I go out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Odelay

timple23 wrote: »

Could be once round the clock, but she is in super condition, looks straight and no sign of hard work or abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Dunno. Could be genuine hours. Look a the seat. The seats in those fords were notoriously flimsy and were always in tatters. This one is in tact.

But who would invest such money in a big tractor like this in the early 1990s and then hardly bother to use it at all? M

Maybe the clock is broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the Stealth Kompactor still on the go?
    I see Hi-Spec are making a similar one with the same name, but no moving axle and a few other differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Same machine. Aren't they making it under licence?

Muckit wrote: »
    Same machine. Aren't they making it under licence?

You may well be right. Also, the Hi-Spec does have the moving axle - I was wrong! The have done away with the solid front and replaced it with a mid height cross memeber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Is there any input taxes on brining in machinery from Eastern European countries. If say the treasury cost would be high though for a spot on a lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭enricoh

Is there any input taxes on brining in machinery from Eastern European countries. If say the treasury cost would be high though for a spot on a lorry.

No, once they are in the eu. I know a lad who brought a 40' from poland for e3500.
    There's plenty of polish moving back, lower rents n economy booming apparently. You might get a back load. A neighbour of mine bought a rotovator over there recently, he's the type of lad that has never ever bought a dud, so you'd never hear any negatives!

• Advertisement

Any opinions on Tuffmac trailers? Considering a 16ft cattle trailer for the Tractor.

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/tuffmac-cattle-trailer/8328387

Any opinions on Tuffmac trailers? Considering a 16ft cattle trailer for the Tractor.

The bale trailers look well made. Was half thinking of one

The bale trailers look well made. Was half thinking of one

Be hard to keep the cows on one though :D

To be fair they look well spec'd in all their trailers but don't actually know anyone with one.

Be hard to keep the cows on one though :D

To be fair they look well spec'd in all their trailers but don't actually know anyone with one.

Every second trailer around here are tuffmacs

Every second trailer around here are tuffmacs

Seeing a few Tuffmac Jeep trailers around here but not tractor trailers.

Seeing a few Tuffmac Jeep trailers around here but not tractor trailers.

There are a few tippers and bale trailers around mullingar

There are a few tippers and bale trailers around mullingar

There are at least 2 dealers near by I suppose, that would be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭hopeso

That's a lovely looking trailer.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Tuffmac jeep trailers are very popular locally and seem to be reasonably priced compared to other makes. They don't appear to be overly strong from what I've seen but would probably be comparable to the likes of an Ivor Williams or similar. I've yet to encounter a tractor drawn version although to be fair the trailer in the add looks to be a fine job. With the prospect of weigh restrictions on jeeps being more closely enforced in future along with the ever increasing cost of diesel and the day to day running costs of a jeep there might be merit in a tractor trailer. Having said that tractor trailers are a rarity locally and most of the few tractors I see at the marts are only pulling ordinary 12" or 14" jeep trailers.

• Advertisement

Farm here is very disjointed and spread over a few miles. We used to walk cattle to out farms years ago but that's not really been possible in recent years due to increased traffic. It's no fun moving a group of 20+ cows and their calves with a 2 cow Ifor Williams trailer on the Jeep.

Currently have an old steel 13x7 tractor cattle trailer with timber floor, but floor and rear door need timber replaced and probably more. The tractor cattle trailer is probably the most important thing here to keep the farm going, friend of mine last year in the drought asked me if I'd welded the trailer to the tractor as he never sees it off.

I was also considering this Bridgeway trailer which is 16x7 its a lot cheaper than the Tuffmac but it's a foot narrower and all steel sheeting, it's also only rated for 25kph which isn't an issue now but a consideration for the future.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cattletrailers-for-sale/new-bridgeway-trailers/22191169

Advertisement