Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Debating getting a gator...

Anyone have one?

What are they like on hilly ground? I suppose especially coming down hilly ground as the path down out of one place is fairly steep...

good / bad feedback welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Lads any idea where I'd get a workshop manual for a f 130 series fiat tractor , lab man

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Anyone have one?

What are they like on hilly ground? I suppose especially coming down hilly ground as the path down out of one place is fairly steep...

I was looking into them a few months back. The steepest thing is the price of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone have one?

They Have to be safer than a quad. Talking to a fella who is laid up for a month now after coming off the quad. Safety should be the primary concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

visatorro wrote: »
    They Have to be safer than a quad. Talking to a fella who is laid up for a month now after coming off the quad. Safety should be the primary concern.

Have heard of loads of quad incidents. Have a quad here and the ground is very flat and no overdoing on speed etc.
    Gators are safer but the price puts a lot off them. They can be €25k new. At that price many prefer a good jeep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Aravo wrote: »
    Have heard of loads of quad incidents. Have a quad here and the ground is very flat and no overdoing on speed etc.
    Gators are safer but the price puts a lot off them. They can be €25k new. At that price many prefer a good jeep

It would be a second hand one I’d be getting - a long off from 25k I can tell you...

What’s considered high hours for a gater could anyone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone ever take the starter off a 4235 Massey or similar? I tried to take if off for a relative of mine and no way could we swing the spanners in there. A socket won't go in as not enough room. The only way I can think of, is to use a Crowfoot type spanner.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/mg/7e57f534-b422-4a43-8b14-193fd0f49296.jpg

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone ever take the starter off a 4235 Massey or similar? I tried to take if off for a relative of mine and no way could we swing the spanners in there. A socket won't go in as not enough room. The only way I can think of, is to use a Crowfoot type spanner.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/mg/7e57f534-b422-4a43-8b14-193fd0f49296.jpg

If that could fit surely the long sockets would fit?

Mooooo wrote: »
    If that could fit surely the long sockets would fit?

No a socket can't go on as starter body in the way.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Probably the same as the rest of the masseys all you need is patience with a 13 spanner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

lab man wrote: »
    Lads any idea where I'd get a workshop manual for a f 130 series fiat tractor , lab man

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Fiat-Winner-F100-F110-F120-F130-Tractor-Service-Repair-Workshop-Manual/233700437102?hash=item3669a1ac6e:g:IB0AAOSwHGxdSmKB

PDF Version

No a socket can't go on as starter body in the way.

Check the recent post by mythos110 in the labour saving thread.

timple23 wrote: »
    Check the recent post by mythos110 in the labour saving thread.
    Ya, I had seen that. Reckon the same but with open spanner might work, which is what a crow foot spanner is.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Ya, I had seen that. Reckon the same but with open spanner might work, which is what a crow foot spanner is.

3/8 drive socket ground down and rebar beat into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Thanks I never thought of e bay bought one there now... they looking for 250 for a book version in places

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

The one for the JD was a 9/16 spanner so just be sure you have the right size before you start. That one I made up worked a treat and I have it left in the toolbox for the next time its needed. The ring spanner tended to centre itself well particularly when you can't see what you are doing. The open one could be a pain in that regard - slipping off

Also the ring end allows for 1/12 of a turn where the open one is has to be 1/6 or nothing!

lab man wrote: »
    Thanks I never thought of e bay bought one there now... they looking for 250 for a book version in places

Was it just a book that was scanned or an actual pdf that you can search for the part you need info on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Said I'd post herselfs wedding anniversary present. Yeah, i know, I'm dead:D
    AkF7PpD.jpg
    Good tyre's anyway, about 8'6" in height.
    ApXWow3.jpg
    Cab view is good, much better than a side mounted. Need to replace lefthand rear view mirror alright.
    796Ks9w.jpg The control centre. Everything needed on the joystick. Accelerator and brake on the floor, and handbrake, won't move till the handbrake is off. The toggle cylinder selects forward and reverse, top button extends the boom and middle retracts it. I'll have to wait till I get the grab on her to see how the grab opens and closes.

I'm sure she'll be thrilled...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

AkF7PpD.jpg
    ApXWow3.jpg
    Cab view is good, much better than a side mounted. Need to replace lefthand rear view mirror alright.
    796Ks9w.jpg The control centre. Everything needed on the joystick. Accelerator and brake on the floor, and handbrake, won't move till the handbrake is off. The toggle cylinder selects forward and reverse, top button extends the boom and middle retracts it. I'll have to wait till I get the grab on her to see how the grab opens and closes.

She must be awful wicked if you need a grab to have a romantic nite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

Sure what else could she be looking for when she asked for an extending boom with good rubber on it? :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I probably should post an update too!

That's a 16ft high shed and it goes a few feet above that.
    20200902-114158.jpg

This is the criticism I'd have. It's not really suited for behind electric fences. By right there'd need to be blade going 2 foot below the drive where it's attached to the arm.
    20200902-115114.jpg

This is really what it's suited for. Leylandi and garden hedges.
    20200902-143405.jpg

Job done on a hawthorn hedge.
    20200902-175335.jpg

Verdict. It's ok. It's not a flail hedgecutter though nor will it be competition. It's slow and you have to be careful with it.
    Pro's. If it does block on the blade, nothing breaks. Just stop the lever for the blade. Back out and turn on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

AkF7PpD.jpg
    ApXWow3.jpg

What is the boom performance on it?
    Have a big telescopic version here and build quality still embaresses brand new jcb's with nearly 7k hrs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

AkF7PpD.jpg
    ApXWow3.jpg

I bet she's delighted with it.
    Well ware Mrs. BT

I probably should post an update too!

That's a 16ft high shed and it goes a few feet above that.
    20200902-114158.jpg

This is the criticism I'd have. It's not really suited for behind electric fences. By right there'd need to be blade going 2 foot below the drive where it's attached to the arm.
    20200902-115114.jpg

This is really what it's suited for. Leylandi and garden hedges.
    20200902-143405.jpg

Job done on a hawthorn hedge.
    20200902-175335.jpg

Verdict. It's ok. It's not a flail hedgecutter though nor will it be competition. It's slow and you have to be careful with it.
    Pro's. If it does block on the blade, nothing breaks. Just stop the lever for the blade. Back out and turn on again.

Are you happy with it? Or expected more?

I've ordered a very similar one myself

Did you price or consider a slanetrac?

emaherx wrote: »
    Are you happy with it? Or expected more?

I've ordered a very similar one myself

I kind of expected more.

The frame even though it's the heavier version can pull.
    It's the nature of it's job that it's pulling the cuttings along when topping a hedge.

Even though it's a step up from a hand garden hedgetrimmer. A hand trimmer has a blade on the back. So you can go both ways for hard to reach dead ends.

I'm a bit meh on it.

None of the above.

I priced the Slanetrac.

It was a little more than the rear mounted at €3600. What put me off of it is it runs off of tractors Hydraulic pump, not sure my antique tractors would have the oil flow for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

dzer2 wrote: »
    She must be awful wicked if you need a grab to have a romantic nite

I refuse to answer that on the grounds that she may one day read this thread.

But sure, who doesn't love a challenge;)

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    I priced the Slanetrac.

It was a little more than the rear mounted at €3600. What put me off of it is it runs off of tractors Hydraulic pump, not sure my antique tractors would have the oil flow for that

Pretty strong money considering its just a bracket fingerbar and hydraulic motor compared to boom etc. Would it be possible to gunter a fingerbar mower to a front loader with a hydraulic motor?

Advertisement