Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Island of the Idols

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I'm already looking forward to the next episode lol

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

#MeTooSurvivor comes 38 seasons after Richard Hatch touched up everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I felt so sorry for Janet. The girls screwed her something fierce and there was a ton of lying and backtracking going on there.

It's easy to say "leave your morals at the door, this is a game. Go and win it" but the reality is that the things you say and do follow you home. She was likely worried how she would come off if she didn't side with the girls and vote off Dan. She wasn't ever likely to win but that really blew up her game big time.

I also was delighted Jamal got voted out. The man has an ego the size of a planet. There is a guy who loves the sound of his own voice. He was grandstanding in that tribal. If I had been there I would have told him to pipe down, stop trying to speak for all men and speak for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Aside from the Zeke outing, that was probably the most uncomfortable and annoyed I've felt about gameplay strategy/decision.

I've no problem with people ruining their own character by swearing on their kids or lying about a dead grandma but Missy and Elizabeth manipulated others based on slandering someone else's character for their game in a way that has implications for him in the real world.

At least with the Zeke situation they were able to deal with it all during that tribal but given how no one raised Missy and Elizabeth's twisting of things it feels maybe even dirtier than the Zeke situation and looking at social media it will likely now fester until the reunion show. From their social media posts neither Missy nor Elizabeth seemed to have any self-awareness of how their actions were going to be seen by the public so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets mentioned again during the main season.

Kirby wrote: »
    I felt so sorry for Janet. The girls screwed her something fierce and there was a ton of lying and backtracking going on there.

It's easy to say "leave your morals at the door, this is a game. Go and win it" but the reality is that the things you say and do follow you home. She was likely worried how she would come off if she didn't side with the girls and vote off Dan. She wasn't ever likely to win but that really blew up her game big time.

Janet doesn't come across as a person who made that choice so she could look good to viewers at home. She appeared to genuinely want to do it to support the other women, even though she was probably the closest to Dan out of all of them.
    I also was delighted Jamal got voted out. The man has an ego the size of a planet. There is a guy who loves the sound of his own voice. He was grandstanding in that tribal. If I had been there I would have told him to pipe down, stop trying to speak for all men and speak for yourself.

I agree with a lot of your characterization of Jamal but he was 100% right on Aaron's comments.

Jamal's other admittedly grandstandy statement about men taking a step back and believing women is exactly why so many are annoyed at Missy and Elizabeth's manipulation and how their actions could easily feed into sentiments against this.

• Advertisement

Also, Janet must be a shoo-in to get the Sia dollars this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wow, Elisabeth and Missy lost any respect I had for them - what they pulled was so damaging. Dan (everything else aside) and Aaron didn't come off smelling of roses after their comments at Tribal either - very mansplainy and their attitudes in general just felt icky.

Kellee made a stupid decision not playing one of her idols - the first tribal after a merge is so volatile, you should definitely play one if you have it, and if you've got 2 it's a no brainer. Was disappointed to see Jamal and Kellee go, they were probably the two that had grown on me the most this season. Not a whole lot of people left worth rooting for - Karishma, Dean, and Janet are clearly the underdogs and arguably the most likable left in it, so backing those three for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not much to add.

The treatment suffered by the principled Janet at those she sought to help was despicable.

Elizabeth's lie in particular comes to mind.

Heart went out to her with the obvious ostracization she suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Interesting season! Definitely not the dud it seemed at the start anyway...

Disappointed with the last episode. A bit too predictable.

• Advertisement

TimeUp wrote: »

The one last night? I'd describe the two that went home more the smart moves to make rather than use the term predictable. What I'd generally call predicable play is when the group sticks with their alliances and make the easy votes, which would have been Janet and Karishma in this situation.

To be fair, aside from the madness of last week, the votes this season have trended towards the smart moves than basic alliance lines.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The one last night? I'd describe the two that went home more the smart moves to make rather than use the term predictable. What I'd generally call predicable play is when the group sticks with their alliances and make the easy votes, which would have been Janet and Karishma in this situation.

To be fair, aside from the madness of last week, the votes this season have trended towards the smart moves than basic alliance lines.

I was happy about the people that went home, what I thought was predictable was the edit. I knew who was leaving almost since the minute the challenge was over.

I like how the game is unfolding, just, so far I've loved the edit this season partly because they have managed to make votes look unexpected without it looking completely illogical (sometimes you don't expect a vote to unfold a certain way simply because they deliberately conceal what's going on from the viewer, i.e. Michaela in Game Changers, which feels like cheating on the part of the show and is not as exciting). This year they had managed a beautiful balance between suspense and consistency. I'm still enjoying the season, just, after this episode I'm not looking forward to the next one as much as I was last week.

Yikes I thought it was cracking episode.

Really smart move to get rid of Aaron.

Violently swing between great sympathy for Karishma and a want for her removal from the game.:)

She appears to have a near innate ability to feel sorry for her predicament,laze about the place and depressingly accept her predicament/fate.Yet there are cultural differences which she's mentioned that hinder her ability to get traction in the game.There's a generational schism vis a vis the younger girls and her lack of athleticism.Yet perhaps I give her too much credit and it's simply the fact that her greatest weakness is she is in possession of such a poor social game?

However I did admire the way she stood up for herself against what I'd consider the mean girls attitude of Missy and Elizabeth.Missy's apology lacked any sincerity and her parting remarks to Elizabeth offered a truer reflection of a personality that is part bully girl and vengeful.Foolhardy of Elaine to reveal her treason at such a tense moment.

It was truly ridiculous the way in which the HII fell into Karishma's lap who I'd have imagined expended all the energy of minute searching for same.God be days when one earned a HII in such a search.

I was happy about the people that went home, what I thought was predictable was the edit. I knew who was leaving almost since the minute the challenge was over.

I like how the game is unfolding, just, so far I've loved the edit this season partly because they have managed to make votes look unexpected without it looking completely illogical (sometimes you don't expect a vote to unfold a certain way simply because they deliberately conceal what's going on from the viewer, i.e. Michaela in Game Changers, which feels like cheating on the part of the show and is not as exciting). This year they had managed a beautiful balance between suspense and consistency. I'm still enjoying the season, just, after this episode I'm not looking forward to the next one as much as I was last week.

I can see where you're coming from more now but I feel it is more due to the choices that players are taking this season, with nearly every time they tease a non-straight forward vote it ends up being the direction they take. Many other seasons it might only be once or twice in a season they make a 'big move', whereas it is happening every week to the point where it has become somewhat predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Enjoyable episode considering the sh*t show that was the previous week. I had no issue with the edit, classic swing vote conundrums x 2.

Interesting to see how the cards fall now after that double vote. Curious to see if this Goat alliance can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

seligehgit wrote: »
    It was truly ridiculous the way in which the HII fell into Karishma's lap who I'd have imagined expended all the energy of minute searching for same.God be days when one earned a HII in such a search.

Couldn't agree more. I mean that idol was in plain sight, waist height in a tree on the MAIN PATH. Bloody hell like how could you miss it? It was like a gimme. It was a dead certainty to be found.

Earlier seasons you would have people searching for days on end. Say what you want about people like Russell, but jaysus did he earn his idols.

I also guarantee you that there was an idol placed at that old lairo beach and not one of them went looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Come on Karishma :)

Come on Karishma :)
    Winners edit? Maybe not but I'm fully on board the Karishma train right now. She's certainly no archetype we've seen over and over again for 30 seasons.

She's shown no social or physical game play and playing that idol was such an obvious move. When you add to that how annoying she is I really don't see what people see in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

At least her speech seemed to spook them into using another idol. Was a terrible use of one.

• Advertisement

At least her speech seemed to spook them into using another idol. Was a terrible use of one.

With how things played out that was a waste of an idol but with the information available at that moment I think it was a good move.

Lauren knew they were supposed to be all putting votes on Karishma and once she played an idol it would only likely take 2 votes to push her out. Her idol was only good for 2 tribals, it is unlikely you'll be as sure of something crazy happening as that tribal.

No ep this week?

She's shown no social or physical game play and playing that idol was such an obvious move. When you add to that how annoying she is I really don't see what people see in her.

It might be the obvious move but what option had she?

Totally agree re her absence of any advantageous physical attributes and her less than optimum social game.

She's an awful moaner but I'm prepared to give her a bit of break as I think some of her difficulties are culturally related.She's confessed to same from early in the game.

Definitely feel sorry on the basis she's totally on the outs and is a tad ostracised.Pretty lonely spot.

The point was made at tribal how it's difficult to win survivor as a free agent as it's harder to build more permanent solid ties with other players.

However nobody is willing to give her the opportunity to cross the trench in the sand and become a member of an alliance.

Kind of Lord of the Flies vibe for me when somebody is so much on the outs.

Such a wasted playing of the other II.

I think it's interesting how she is well aware of how much she is struggling physically. I think if the average survivor fan was to go on the show they would have a similar realisation. Her social game is not great but as others have said some of that is due to cultural differences.

She's clearly a fan of the game and is no goat as her game isn't the most passive.

I just think she's different to the archetypes we've seen in the past. Add to that the sourness of a few episodes ago and you've got the under dog I'm happy to root for.

seligehgit wrote: »
    It might be the obvious move but what option had she?

I meant it as being an obvious move as in I don't give her any credit for it, like I would if you played it for someone else or played it at the right time when it wasn't obvious you're on the chopping block.

Totally agree re her absence of any advantageous physical attributes and her less than optimum social game.

She's an awful moaner but I'm prepared to give her a bit of break as I think some of her difficulties are culturally related.She's confessed to same from early in the game.

Definitely feel sorry on the basis she's totally on the outs and is a tad ostracised.Pretty lonely spot.

The point was made at tribal how it's difficult to win survivor as a free agent as it's harder to build more permanent solid ties with other players.

However nobody is willing to give her the opportunity to cross the trench in the sand and become a member of an alliance.

Kind of Lord of the Flies vibe for me when somebody is so much on the outs.

I feel sorry for her to be at the bottom but most of her difficulties are caused by herself. She seems incredibly annoying to be around, paranoid, and lazy at camp.
    Such a wasted playing of the other II.

Disagree. One of only 2 tribals you can play it and the person who you were voting out, and seemingly not splitting votes well on, played an idol. Could come back to bite her in the next tribal if something crazy happened but better to be safe than sorry.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think it's interesting how she is well aware of how much she is struggling physically. I think if the average survivor fan was to go on the show they would have a similar realisation. Her social game is not great but as others have said some of that is due to cultural differences.

She's clearly a fan of the game and is no goat as her game isn't the most passive.

I just think she's different to the archetypes we've seen in the past. Add to that the sourness of a few episodes ago and you've got the under dog I'm happy to root for.

Even as american's go for being self confident, it would take crazy levels to not be aware of how bad you are if you were her. She was a disaster in nearly every challenge she's been in, she's continuously complaining, and it has been voiced how lazy she is at camp.

I think we've seen many non-passive goats. Aside from being passive, being a goat can be about being dislike or not being respected. She falls into the latter category.

Can't argue with any of that really. I do think the producers have been trying to paint in her in a more positive light the past two weeks which has probably rubbed off on me.

Apparently Karishnas idol play was the first time a woman has played an idol properly instead of wasting it or going home with it in their pocket since Kelley Wentworth on Cambodia (Season 31)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

Where are ye watching this?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Apparently Karishnas idol play was the first time a woman has played an idol properly instead of wasting it or going home with it in their pocket since Kelley Wentworth on Cambodia (Season 31)!
    You could argue that Kellee giving hers to Dean was not a waste but

a) giving to someone else to play it correctly does not count
    b) even if it does count, giving it to Dean was a just as much a waste as it blew up her game

Advertisement