Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Survivor: Island of the Idols

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ok am I reading it right that Noura was playing up her need to improve her elementary school understanding of mathematics in a ploy to get Dean and co to not throw all their votes on Tommy?Or more so was it a deep distrust of Noura based on her abject confusion re the vote and newly pledged loyalty to the 3 outsiders.

TBH if Dean blew open their intention to vote out Tommy based on impulse it screwed up a chance to mix the game up as Tommy would likely have gone with the 2 votes on Elaine ( HII played ) and Karishma.

Or perhaps I'm talking utter raimeis and I missed the undercurrent from the get go that all in sundry were intent on putting lonely Karishma out of her misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

What channel is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's on in the States, Grats. The only way to watch here is to stream or download (but we can't talk about that) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

Mr E wrote: »
    It's on in the States, Grats. The only way to watch here is to stream or download (but we can't talk about that) :)

Ah, I just wondered had I been missing it on TG4. Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Im starting to dislike survivor, i still have love and will watch but that tribal was pony ! Ive always hated the whispering but last night was brutal, Jeff should have told to them to STFU.

Ive really no idea why Rob or sandra are there randomly, and if they have some sway in bringing someone back or some crap like that, lads thats not survivor

Karishma
    Gone good she was crap in every ascpet of the game exception of someone playing an idol correctly.

Its all abit crap these days, the Australian version is far superior if you loved old style survivor, don't get me wrong i love it but theirs something i don't or cant put my finger on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Dean is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Dean is the worst.

He is playing a terrible game in nearly every area. I understand he has been on the bottom for a long time and your mindset becomes focused on just making it through the next vote but he seems to be playing as if his goal is a 4th-6th place finish.

Noura is a complete wildcard and hard to trust but given the fact she hadn't spilled the beans up to that point then you have to take your shot at the power alliance, as you're unlikely to get another opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if his pure vanity got the better of him and he didn't want to be seen to be associated with the 'Goat Army' and would prefer to take the longer shot that Tommy will appreciate his honesty and drag him to the end.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He is playing a terrible game in nearly every area. I understand he has been on the bottom for a long time and your mindset becomes focused on just making it through the next vote but he seems to be playing as if his goal is a 4th-6th place finish.

Noura is a complete wildcard and hard to trust but given the fact she hadn't spilled the beans up to that point then you have to take your shot at the power alliance, as you're unlikely to get another opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if his pure vanity got the better of him and he didn't want to be seen to be associated with the 'Goat Army' and would prefer to take the longer shot that Tommy will appreciate his honesty and drag him to the end.

Indeed what an illogical move when he could have made a self beneficial game changing call.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Holy crap.

Bit harsh on Elaine, completely overshadowing her exit but I understand why they stuck it in at the end of this episode rather than it taking all the focus from the finale.

Presume there is some sort of lawsuit going on that they are refusing to say what Dan did (again) and they're also pretaping the finale, which might be to ensure no one says anything they shouldn't.

Really tainted the whole season of survivor. They're lucky what the next season is as it will be hard for long term fans to be turned off by it.

• Advertisement

Really disappointed for Elaine, she was very likeable character.

Interesting he was removed for behaviour not related to another player but off camera.

His exit scuppers any plans for an all male final three.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm disappointed he wasn't removed earlier - been a fan of the show since the beginning (nearly 20 years ago), and I just wonder how exactly he was allowed to continue on after Kellie made her accusations early on... Obviously Missie and Elisabeth's antics blurred the lines a bit, and it was edited to seem that all contestants were happy that Dan continue on in the game following the Tribal Council it all came to a head, but it never really sat right with me. It was clear from the footage earlier in the season that he continued to be inappropriate towards Kellie after she had asked him to give her her space, and maybe production didn't see the whole picture until they were editing all the footage together, there are hundreds of hours of film after all, but given all the hot water CBS has been in over the past year in regards to sexual misconduct and how it's been handled in general, I'm somewhat reluctant to give production the benefit of doubt here.

This season has been completely tainted, and I hope people like Kellie, Dean, Elaine, and Jamal will be given a chance to play again, because they've proven themselves to be great players and deserve to be given another shot away from this mess. It will be interesting to see how everything is addressed in the Reunion show, as I'd like some indication from Probst (as he's the face of production, not that I think all decisions made are entirely down to him) that they're aware of the mistakes they made here and that moving forward things will be handled better. I agree with Foxtrol that it's lucky for Survivor that next season is an All Star one.

I'm disappointed he wasn't removed earlier - been a fan of the show since the beginning (nearly 20 years ago), and I just wonder how exactly he was allowed to continue on after Kellie made her accusations early on... Obviously Missie and Elisabeth's antics blurred the lines a bit, and it was edited to seem that all contestants were happy that Dan continue on in the game following the Tribal Council it all came to a head, but it never really sat right with me. It was clear from the footage earlier in the season that he continued to be inappropriate towards Kellie after she had asked him to give her her space, and maybe production didn't see the whole picture until they were editing all the footage together, there are hundreds of hours of film after all, but given all the hot water CBS has been in over the past year in regards to sexual misconduct and how it's been handled in general, I'm somewhat reluctant to give production the benefit of doubt here.

This season has been completely tainted, and I hope people like Kellie, Dean, Elaine, and Jamal will be given a chance to play again, because they've proven themselves to be great players and deserve to be given another shot away from this mess. It will be interesting to see how everything is addressed in the Reunion show, as I'd like some indication from Probst (as he's the face of production, not that I think all decisions made are entirely down to him) that they're aware of the mistakes they made here and that moving forward things will be handled better. I agree with Foxtrol that it's lucky for Survivor that next season is an All Star one.

Apparently the finale will be taped this time. Surely that is to have the lawyers and PR to go through every sentence to ensure they don't make things worse.

I don't think production handled it as well as they should have but they are in a difficult spot.

We've seen this season alone how players, women in this case, had no problems with crossing a line and using claims for game play. Can you kick someone out based on one person's claim?

The game in the past has also been ok with using inappropriate 'antics' purposely to unsettle other players, is it ok now to kick someone out based on someone being uncomfortable based on a lot less?

In a game where you're forced to live in close proximity due to shelter from rain and warmth, can you kick someone off for contact that many others are doing?

I don't think people saying 'you should believe' or 'they should have kicked him out straight away' have really thought it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Multiple sources indicating that he touched a female producers leg while getting into a transport boat after an immunity challenge. Also Dan has been un-invited from the finale.

One source:
    https://people.com/tv/survivor-contestant-dan-spilo-was-uninvited-from-live-finale-after-his-removal-from-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

i feel sorry for his son after been on the show last week.

To be honest I am not fussed who wins. I nearly give it to Norah as she is bat $hit crazy and it could summarize the series.

Dont get all the Janet love, yeah she is nice, yeah she like a mommy, yeah she used her vote to get Dan out but she not really a survivor to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

noveltea wrote: »

To be honest I am not fussed who wins. I nearly give it to Norah as she is bat $hit crazy and it could summarize the series.

Dont get all the Janet love, yeah she is nice, yeah she like a mommy, yeah she used her vote to get Dan out but she not really a survivor to me.

Completely forgot about his son! Obviously this was filmed many months ago but only now they will be feeling the full force of the backlash.

I feel bad for Elaine. Dan should have been booted instead of her as the incident happened before tribal. Big fcuk up on the producers part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Interesting NY Times opinion piece on the matter...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/arts/television/survivor-dan-spilo.html

I certainly agree on 'production have not handled the whole thing well' point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

noveltea wrote: »

Jesus forgot about that...

What a complete and utter assh0le, who does crap like that these days? He's a "Hollywood talent manager" in real life aswell, the Harvey Weinstein crap must be absolutely endemic in that industry, feel sorry for young actresses.

Remember when Richard Hatch stripped off for that challenge and rubbed himself against Sue(?) and she freaked out, it was pre-#metoo but I always thought at the time they handled it really badly aswell, they kind of played it like he was just a character and she just didnt "get it".

I'm curious to see how they handle things tomorrow night based on their track record this season I can't imagine they will do a good job.

I can see Jeff going on a big spiel about how the game mirrors the real world, he gets a real kick out of trying to mine some narrative out of certain TCs and seasons.

Pretty indifferent to the fact that a winner must be crowned. Thank god for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Noura deserved it for me completely batsh1t crazy yet totally honest in her play.

The winner and the runner up were useless players really.

Hugely disappointing season.

I actually enjoyed that finale but had very low expectations going in. Thought final tribal was good but I'm a fan of the format unlike a few.

Delighted that CBS, Survivor and Probst owned their sh*t, were somewhat transparent and put there hands up while saying they handled things very poorly.

Noura deserved it for me completely batsh1t crazy yet totally honest in her play.

The winner and the runner up were useless players really.

Hugely disappointing season.

Cracking finale.

I thought she'd a much stronger case than she was given credit for.She won three immunity challenges and although she was not so strong on the outwit aspect she did put Lauren up for the fire challenge.

I think she picked the wrong opponent for her though.Although Dean had a strong fourth quarter quite a number of things fell right for him.Tommy was Mr. Central Station via which all information went through and whom all trusted.Noura's game was largely based on her emotions but in spite of her eccentric personality her fellow players liked her.TBH she largely did'nt have a strategic bone in her body outside of that move.

Tommy was dismal on the challenges.Very clever play on Noura re his inability to make fire to make final three,targeting Lauren as the major social threat and throwing Dean into the fire challenge whilst secretly plotting Lauren's exit.Tommy was in a league of his own in terms of the social and strategic elements of the game.

His generosity knew no bounds in his assistance of a naive Noura in composing her final tribal council speech.

Ultimately I do not believe Dean's fellow survivors really got to know him and same cost him.He was at the bottom for long periods and appeared to ride the coat tails of others.The general perception that he was a self important,devious and lazy player hung around him like a bad smell.Noura's ex boyfriend summation appeared apt although he spoke very well at the reunion.

Delighted Jamal was rewarded,a very sincere guy.None more deserving than Elaine who lit the season up.Ditto Janet for her bravery in speaking up for Kellee when others would not breach the topic and her subsequent ostracisation for a period post same.Elizabeth and Missy were rightly castigated afterwards for their roles.

Apparently Elizabeth and Jack are now dating whilst Jamal is Jack's housemate.

Kellee was quite soft on CBS IMO in that interview.

Anyway onward and upward to what appears to be an absolutely stellar cast of All Stars Survivor Winners at War with some fire tokens thrown in with two million bucks at stake.

Ethan Zohn
    Sandra Diaz Twine
    Amber Mariano
    Danni Boatwright
    Yul Kwon
    Parvarti Shallow
    Rob Mariano
    Sophie Clarke
    Kim Spradlin
    Denise Stapley
    Tyson Apostol
    Tony Vlachos
    Natalie Anderson
    Jeremy Collins
    Michelle Fitzgerald
    Adam Klein
    Sarah Lacina
    Ben Driebergen
    Wendell Holland
    Nick Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

seligehgit wrote:
    Ethan Zohn Sandra Diaz Twine Amber Mariano Danni Boatwright Yul Kwon Parvarti Shallow Rob Mariano Sophie Clarke Kim Spradlin Denise Stapley Tyson Apostol Tony Vlachos Natalie Anderson Jeremy Collins Michelle Fitzgerald Adam Klein Sarah Lacina Ben Driebergen Wendell Holland Nick Wilson

I am going to have to rewatch some passed seasons of survivor before this new series. I don't really remember Sophie, Kim, Denise or Dani.

I've only watched a handful pre Denise winning so there is a big chunk of the cast I'm not familiar with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭pooch90

Russell not doing it after his humiliation on Aussie Survivor I bet!

pooch90 wrote: »
    Russell not doing it after his humiliation on Aussie Survivor I bet!

Tell us more?:D

Couldn't do it anyway. Never won it.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Tell us more?:D

Couldn't do it anyway. Never won it.
    That's true I forgot that.
    He went on the Oz one and was acting like the Big I Am going on about all the amateurs he was playing with and how he was going to school them. Then got voted out first LMAO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It was worse then that, he found hii told everyone I think before or during trible, saying he was going to play it, they still voted for him and he didn't play the idol.

• Advertisement

It was worse then that, he found hii told everyone I think before or during trible, saying he was going to play it, they still voted for him and he didn't play the idol.

Forgot that! Didnt he even wear the idol during the tribal??

Advertisement