Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Tern Project - 23 foxes shot

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The life span of a fox is 2-5 years. In the wild foxes die from disease or starvation slowly withering away over the course of a few weeks before drawing into a ditch to die.

Although you may not like the thought of it, having a trained marksman shoot a fox is the best possible death the animal could have because it is pretty much instant, no stress,no starving no disease or wasting away over weeks, one minute the fox is alive, next they are dead.

Now you shouldn't be shooting foxes when they have babies, it should be done once all the young are grown and have moved on from their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

archer22 wrote: »
    Whaat!..are you actually bothering to read this thread :confused:

I said it was to keep Foxes out of lambing paddocks!

OK, would be a deterrent but they will still get through if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

FirstIn wrote: »
    This is a very serious thread. It’s a serious matter.

We are talking about an electric fence with more than 1 or 3 strands , no way is a fox going to touch it and then try to climb it if they get a decent shock from it when they first touch it. So it does not need to be that high.

People on here that strongly feel bwi are wrong shooting so many foxes please contact bwi and the National parks and wildlife service. Please let them know your feelings.

The logical steps are
    1: through here , word of mouth , Facebook etc to bring the facts to the public (I’ve pointed out before bwi have not been forward on informing people of their slaughter)
    2: for people to make their feelings known to bwi and national parks and wildlife service. Bird watch Ireland enjoys local support , they’ve pointed this out to me and I’d like to think it matters to them that this support will be dented by these revelations
    3: for us to try and point out to them that shooting foxes is not the answer. That the rabbit story is rubbish. That shooting and creating a void simply leads to more foxes entering the area and then more being shot.
    4: to try and get a commitment from them to change their approach.

Next year it may take signs / banners / protests at the site to make sure those that are present / walking by are also made aware of this carnage.
    Well done, you going to lead a protest to basically eradicate the little tern from Kilcoole.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Ah now, no need for the insults. No matter what side of the debate people here have been reasonably civil. Let’s try and keep it that way, eh?

It wasn’t meant to insult but his posts were completely wrong and needed to be highlighted.

I don’t like seeing foxes killed, they are a beautiful animal but too keep a colony of rare birds alive I can understand that killing the local foxes has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

FirstIn wrote: »
    This is a very serious thread. It’s a serious matter.

We are talking about an electric fence with more than 1 or 3 strands , no way is a fox going to touch it and then try to climb it if they get a decent shock from it when they first touch it. So it does not need to be that high.

People on here that strongly feel bwi are wrong shooting so many foxes please contact bwi and the National parks and wildlife service. Please let them know your feelings.

The logical steps are
    1: through here , word of mouth , Facebook etc to bring the facts to the public (I’ve pointed out before bwi have not been forward on informing people of their slaughter)
    2: for people to make their feelings known to bwi and national parks and wildlife service. Bird watch Ireland enjoys local support , they’ve pointed this out to me and I’d like to think it matters to them that this support will be dented by these revelations
    3: for us to try and point out to them that shooting foxes is not the answer. That the rabbit story is rubbish. That shooting and creating a void simply leads to more foxes entering the area and then more being shot.
    4: to try and get a commitment from them to change their approach.

Next year it may take signs / banners / protests at the site to make sure those that are present / walking by are also made aware of this carnage.

Sorry, but what you suggest won't really solve the problem. Those who oppose the management of fox numbers in area's of this importance, need to come up with an alternative solution. And I don't mean shouting "build a fence" or " scare them away". That just aint good enough. Better off raising funds to do research on a realistic solution, than protests and banners. Maybe instead of rallying a protest march, instead rally a dedicated group of volunteers to help BWI to save some of our endangered species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mod final warning

Drop the smart comments sniping at each other. Drop the conspiracies that people from BWI are descending here en masse.

If you cant have a civil conversation without sniping at each other or accusations of BWI shilling then we may have to lock the thread

It seems some posters ignored my FINAL warning

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement