Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear that I might have been fired from work due to reporting pain in leg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Put it on your CV.
    No point in hiding it.
    Last thing you need is details from revenue about your tax, previous employer etc ending up on the table of the next payroll dept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

mariaalice wrote: »
    The op worked there a week and people are saying get legal advice get a grip. The first real job the op got wasn't great they will get another job the end.
    You never answered my question. You sound a bit like the OPs manager. If they done nothing wrong they have nothing to fear legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe the op dose not mean it but they are coming across as a bit paranoid and a contrarian female scientists etc, they are not helping themselves much. In theory it should make no difference if you are a contrarian as long as you do the work but in reality, it dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Just put your head down and get on with it. You came across as a trouble maker, whatever you came across they didn’t like you. I’m in IT and constantly have to lift large pieces of equipment.

Could you not just of keeping your mouth shut until the lab was setup. This whole rights things and getting legal advice is pretty sad.

PC brigade culture

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the way it worked out. The change in job spec is enough of an explanation and you have been invited to apply again
    I have not really been invited to apply again. That's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've been fired.

Manager said that the job spec has changed, that she's letting me go, and that a new job spec will have to made available for which I can apply to. She's saying that all of a sudden they don't need to take as many samples as before and therefore the new job spec is going to involve manual labor as well as laboratory work.

All this goes completely against the contract which I pointed out. After being fired, I spoke with the site H&S person, and he said he might be able to talk about this today with me, but I haven't heard from him. They're paying me until tomorrow, and that's it.

Is there anything I can do about this? with all the laws we have in our country, is there anything that I can do?
    I have not really been invited to apply again. That's nonsense.
    Eh, you said it yourself. Anyway think I'm done offering advice to someone who just wants to vent. I wish you the best of luck in your job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Forget about putting it on your CV. It will not add top your employability.

Check the notice period in your contract. They'll have to pay you for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Raconteuse wrote:
    They didn't "not give" a female scientist the job of heavy lifting so why bring up sexism?

Heavy lifting?, he was dragging pallets across the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Don't stick it on your CV and just put this one down to experience OP. Lesson learned: don't rock the boat during your probation period. Work hard and don't bother your boss if you can avoid it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

You should have undergone a manual handling course before any lifting. Report them to the rightful authority. You should get compensation for any loss as a result of being out of work because of the lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The facts are, you complained twice within a few days of starting a job. Complaints, that may be substantiated, but who knows, it's only your interpretation of what moving pallets are etc.
    I've been involved in start up situations of pharmas, everybody chips in to help, whatever needs doing, be it going to the wholesaler for toilet paper or making coffees, or writing a purchase order of something you've no idea of only you've been asked to do it, regardless of the label you've been employed under.
    Life and careers will throw all sorts at you, but I think you need to keep the head down in the next job, and suck it up before you start throwing legal teams, unions and telling your ma about how the bad man keeps getting you to work hard.
    Ffs.

Just to add to to my previous comment, I worked in IT in a factory for two years. I was seconded by my employer and have 10 years experience in IT and was used to sitting at a desk.

I was up on 12 foot ladders cabling and carrying it all over the site, lifting very heavy pieces of equipment, servers, 20KG printers. Up outside on ladders screwing cameras off walls and checking network cables, even endeded up putting new desks together and setting up desks with 8 screens attached to a heavy stand.

Did I like the work , No! Did I get on with it, Yes! Did I complain No! If it’s a factory environment your in everyone chips in. Your too soft OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

airy fairy wrote: »
    Put it on your CV.
    No point in hiding it.
    Last thing you need is details from revenue about your tax, previous employer etc ending up on the table of the next payroll dept.

One week is not worth putting on a CV. It would raise more questions than it would be anyway helpful.

A new employer only needs to be advised of tax credits for payroll, no details of previous employer(s) needs to be made available to any future employer(s) by revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I wonder would a female scientist be asked to move heavy pallets around the yard? Probably not I would assume. Everyday sexism in action. They'd probably have a front page in the Irish Times if they pulled that on a woman. They seem to fear you standing up for yourself.

Have to admit, when reading the opening post, I thought the op was a female scientist.

Seems it was a bit of muscle strain which went after a few days. If the op struggles to get a job and is only there a few days and the task was a temporary one, maybe it would have been better to hold on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I wonder would a female scientist be asked to move heavy pallets around the yard? Probably not I would assume. Everyday sexism in action. They'd probably have a front page in the Irish Times if they pulled that on a woman. They seem to fear you standing up for yourself.
    Wo... that's some escalation. A scenario conjured up from virtually nothing.

But on the case in question - always folk trying to act the hard nut on this forum. I think the treatment was shabby and taking advantage. And he should just carry on with muscle pain? Ridiculous.

Some people here seem to pretend to pine for ye olden days when workers were treated terribly.

You should work hard doing what you're paid to do, and not be expected to do work that causes soreness as described by the OP.

Misuse of "PC" too.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Wo... that's some escalation. A scenario conjured up from virtually nothing.

But on the case in question - always folk trying to act the hard nut on this forum. I think the treatment was shabby and taking advantage. And he should just carry on with muscle pain? Ridiculous.

Some people here seem to pretend to pine for ye olden days when workers were treated terribly.

You should work hard doing what you're paid to do, and not be expected to do work that causes soreness as described by the OP.

Misuse of "PC" too.

“Not Expected to do work that causes soreness”

Really? No one is trying to act the hard nut but every job isn’t sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Get on with the job and if you don’t like it leave.

It’s a factory/plant environment, no wonder OP got let go complain about lifting a pallet ffs. Better off getting rid of now instead of OP causing a lot more trouble down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

Raconteuse wrote: »

A bit of physical work every now and again should not be an issue. It’s week one in a graduate position, it’s not excessive to have him doing this work. Loads of jobs entail work where muscle soreness is common.

I have worked as a scientist for twenty years. Myself and my colleagues are expected to lug around a few pallets every now and again. I have never heard anyone complain with this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

A lot of people admitting here that they do work that is not relative to their work. Bigger fools you, if you have an accident, and your company turns around and says you shouldn't have been doing it.

@OP. Was physical work "down the warehouse" part of your job spec ?

The other labs guys were not asked to do the same ?

Sounds like they fired you to head off an insurance claim. The answer was already given to you in this thread by the way. Do it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/act/10/section/27/enacted/en/html

STB. wrote: »
    A lot of people admitting here that they do work that is not relative to their work. Bigger fools you, if you have an accident, and your company turns around and says you shouldn't have been doing it.

Sounds like they fired you to head off an insurance claim. The answer was already given to you in this thread by the way. Do it.

Most contracts now state now any jobs outside your usual remit. Also the OP did manual handling so workplace is covered.

Don’t do it. You are starting off in your career. You don’t want your name blackmarked in the industry.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    Don’t do it. You are starting off in your career. You don’t want your name blackmarked in the industry.

Oh I wouldn't say he'll be sticking this down on his CV.

Blackmarked my backside.

They fired him because he was a troublemaker. Simple as.

Oh I wouldn't say he'll be sticking this down on his CV.

Blackmarked my backside.

Doesn’t matter. Companies talk to each other about these matters. He should not escalate this situation.

knockers84 wrote: »
    They fired him because he was a troublemaker. Simple as.

23/6 Complaint made about nature of work causing a possible occupational injury possibly outside normal work spec.

24/6 - supervisor stuck her head in the door looking for OP. When OP went out to her she told him that the head manager said to take the week off (unpaid)! OP replied "I'll take the weekend off and see how I feel".

24/6 - OP speaks to manager who says "well, it's not the factory's fault... people have been doing job like that for years and have never had any complaints" OP is employed as a lab scientist, not a general operative.

26/6 Fired.

It's that simple. And now they are fúcked. Because they thought this might make any problems go away. It has just made them worse.
    Doesn’t matter. Companies talk to each other about these matters. He should not escalate this situation.

Does this sort of BS work on people you know ? It certainly wouldn't work with me.

23/6 Complaint made about nature of work causing a possible occupational injury possibly outside normal work spec.

24/6 - supervisor stuck her head in the door looking for OP. When OP went out to her she told him that the head manager said to take the week off (unpaid)! OP replied "I'll take the weekend off and see how I feel".

24/6 - OP speaks to manager who says "well, it's not the factory's fault... people have been doing job like that for years and have never had any complaints" OP is employed as a lab scientist, not a general operative.

26/6 Fired.

It's that simple. And now they are fúcked. Because they thought this might make any problems go away. It has just made them worse.

Does this sort of BS work with people you know ? It certainly wouldn't work with me.

He is a graduate working there a week. He doesn’t have as much rights as you think.

He is a graduate working there a week. He doesn’t have as much rights as you think.

He has the protections of the Health Welfare & Safety in the Workplace Act 2005, regardless if he worked there 5 minutes or 5 years.

They have suddenly changed the job spec that they hired him for a week later. The anticipated that the OP might go sick or stick a claim in. That sickness was as a result of a occupational injury, that was possibly outside the terms of their job spec. They fired him 2 days after telling him to take a week off.

They will get murdered by the WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Most contracts are going to say something like..and any other duties assigned covers everything.

The amount of anger and paranoia in some of the replies.

The op was there a week.

He has the protections of the Health Welfare & Safety in the Workplace Act 2005, regardless if he worked there 5 minutes or 5 years.

They have suddenly changed the job spec that they hired him for a week later. The anticipated that the OP might go sick or stick a claim in. That sickness was as a result of a occupational injury, that was possibly outside the terms of their job spec. They fired him 2 days after telling him to take a week off.

They will get murdered by the WRC.

And how will it work out for the op. Maybe he will get a small payout. Then his career will be over as who will take on such a troublemaker.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Most contracts are going to say something like..and any other duties assigned covers everything.

The amount of anger and paranoia in some of the replies.

The op was there a week.

I couldn't care less. I am simply correcting people, especially those who said "man up".

There are plenty of mangers running places who don't know their arse from their elbow and they leave their company wide open to unfair dismissal complaints when they take short cuts, try to cover up for their own mistakes (was this lab guy even meant to do this work) and panic with the nuclear button, when firing someone who has reported an injury.
    And how will it work out for the op. Maybe he will get a small payout. Then his career will be over as who will take on such a troublemaker.

Maybe the WRC will find in the OP's favour. Don't try the career **** with me. I am too old for that craic. I doubt he will be putting anything on his CV. Any bad mouthing of the OP after a WRC finding would be suicidal for any company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

Tbh if you get hurt at work and tell you to stay home, then it’s a reportable injury at work to HSA depending on days off work.

Advertisement