Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mgkmgkmgk

Hi, I am picking up my first brand new car tomorrow.

It has been a bitter/ sweet experience with the sale rep I have been dealing with and now he is telling me he has trouble registering the car with the revenue.

The VW dealer is located in Louth and to tell you the truth I feel like I am the one selling him this car. I'm having to run after him to get the deal done.

If ID.4's were not so difficult to purchase I would of closed the deal by now and looked elsewhere.

Anyhow, sales rep rang me today and told me he will finally have the car registered tomorrow.

Seemingly there was a glitch in the dealers computer system preventing them from registering the car. They could not give me an exact reason.

With all the messing about I have now become paranoid about purcasing this car and im wondering is there anyway I can check to see if the car I am buying is actually brand new or is it a used UK car been resold as new in Ireland.

The dealer also said he would have the car valeted before I arrive to collect it.

Surely a new car would not need to be valeting before selling it would it?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can ask for the VIN or registration number and then run it through a service like cartell. It likely won't be know at this point because it's so new

You might have gotten an order cancellation or something, but I'm pretty sure your car will be new. No VW franchise dealership is going to take the risk of scamming a customer to that extent, they'd be risking millions to save thousands

It's pretty normal for a car to be cleaned and valeted before delivery. It's gone across the sea in a boat and been driven around by delivery drivers who probably had mucky boots on

It's generally just a quick clean and vacuum and a final inspection before delivery

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Ok thank you for this peace of mind.

I just wish the whole experience of purchasing a new car had been more pleasant.

Yeah it really should be simple, order car, get delivery date, collect on delivery

I've often wondered how many of the complications are self imposed by the car industry in order to justify the existence of their dealership network

Tesla have it figured out IMO, if they had more service centers close to me I'd give them more consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi al. We have a 22kw double charger at work. I have the 52kW battery, colleague has the 77kW. I plugged in first today and am drawing down only 4kW, he’s taking 11!! What’s going on here?!! I have the latest update by the way, he doesn’t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is there a 52kWh version of the ID.4? I thought it was 58 and 77, like the ID.3?

Anyway, the problem is likely your cable. You are connected to a 3-phase AC charge point but you are likely using a 1-phase cable so you can only pull 1x16A in that case instead of 3x16A. Take a look at the markings on your cable. It will tell you whether it is a 1-ph or 3-ph cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I think the small battery version tops out at 7kW AC? Still doesn't explain 4kW mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭handpref

Check the cable rating Padraig - might be something to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Have you got a charging location set? If there's a departure time I think it'll slow the charging to aim to be full at the departure time (or rather it'll try to and probably mess it up)

Other things to check, is the reduced charging current ticked and is the plug properly seated. If the plug is out of position in the car then you'll see the charging light alternating green and red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There’s a 52kwh one alright. It’s got a 7kw ac charger as opposed to 11kw

America are getting a 62kwh or as we say in Europe a 58kwh battery

the ID3 also comes with a 45Kwh battery

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Is it my imagination or have id4’s dropped back in price, ie base model back to €49k?

Guys is it possible to charge an ev car on the public network without a card.

I've registered with ecar connect and I'm waiting on the card to arrive but I'm wondering is it possible to charge using the ecar connect app using my debit or credit card?

Excuse my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭joe1303l

No need to wait for the card, charging can be started and stopped using the ecar connect app on a smartphone. Need to have your ecar account topped up from a credit/debit card with say €20 and you’re good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭joe1303l

VW Website now showing ID.4 Life 77kWh starting at €49,906 including grant.

Product Guide indicates a €51,390 “on the road price” dated 16.09.22

Have VW decided to take the fight to Tesla in response to the Model Y price cut this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'd be pretty livid if you'd paid a higher price just a few months ago. Perhaps for a car you're still waiting for delivery of.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

I was talking to a Vw sales guy while mine was in for an update last month, I think he said starting at 53k. Which matched the configuration online at that time. But yes they seem to have gone the other direction now. Could well be model y competition.

Thanks, I just collecting the car today and there's a bit learn.

This may sound a bit stupid but I'm old school.

I collected the car from the dealer today and everything was fine. He explained to me that when I get out of the car the car locks and windows fold in by themselves.

When I got home and did the same thing, the car won't lock now and the windows won't fold in.

I'm getting a message vehicle key is not in vehicle on the dash.

It won't let me lock the car even when I press lock on the fob or if i touch the door handle.

Did I accidentally change a setting or any ideas what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Figured out my problem is with VW's keyless entry system.

I powered down the car using the engine on/off button and the car locked perfectly.

Seemingly there's quite a few ID owners having problems with VW's keyless entry.

Anybody got a solution to it or is it a gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

News to me that it will auto-lock when you leave the car - unlock the car when you walk near is standard with keyless but i don't believe it has auto-lock when the key goes out of range (albeit would be a great feature).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The car autolocks if unlocked, then the door is never opened. Mine does anyway, but I don't have keyless unlocking. I did have it on a previous car and it was great

On a related note, I tried to public charge my ID4 for the first time at the weekend - at the fast charger at the Abbey Court hotel in Nenagh. Attempted to use the pay as you go method via the web (I have no need for an account) but could not get the car to charge despite even getting past the payment stage - charging light would flash white for a good while and then turn red. This happened several times across two days - I know the charger was working as others came and went. Led to some pretty nervous driving on the way back to Cork on Sunday, especially as I went on to the motorway the wrong direction and ended up going several km out of my way. Made it back with 7% in the end. I suspect the issue is 'something' to do with the payment etc, or am I missing something obvious with the charger?

Yes it worked fine at the dealer, I stopped the car in drive mode, kept my foot on the break for a couple of seconds till auto hold kicked in, opened the door and left. Thr car shut down lcoked and mirrors folded in.

Went back to the car and it car auto opened and everything was as it was when I left the car.

Not working now though!!!!

I'm going to ring the dealer today to see can he figure out what is going on.

On another note my first charge went perfect last night in the public network no issues thank God.

The ID.4 is great it reminds of a new Opel Zafira i purchased years ago, guess been an SUV I'm seeing the similarity in drive.

There is another thing I've noticed and I hear a few ID.4 driving mentioning this.

The breaks.

The breaks are fine when driving but when I come to a dead stop there is a kind of squeeking or creaking sound from the breaks.

It reminds me years ago of a sound I experienced on a car when I accidentally sprayed tyre shine all over the break disks.

It eventually wore off and the sound went away.

Is this break sound normal on the ID.4 or is it something to do with the breaking system set up for the regeneration system?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

I got my ID4 a few weeks back and heard squeaking from the brakes at the start, haven't since so simply put it down to being 'worn in'. The only niggles i've got at the moment;

• Lost the climate control & speed signs twice; very annoying but reboot fixed it
    • 1 of the back doors sometimes doesn't unlock with the central locking - you need to open another door for it to unlock
    • Wireless Charging - don't now if this is works as expected - still investigating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭micks_address

i find the phone wireless charging a bit hit and miss.. if the phone moves about much stops/starts.. i generally just plug it in via usb c cable

Ok hopefully the break noise is down to been just new and will disappear as you say when they wear in.

Yeah it's a frequent problem in EVs, a lot of the braking comes from regen so the brake discs get a bit dirty, making them squeak

This is part of the reason why VW put drum brakes on the rear axle

The squeaking should stop after some heavy braking, but it'll probably come back every so often

For the keyless entry, I think you need to have the "smart unlock" enabled in the vehicle menu

You might also need to resync the key by putting it on the key symbol in the bottom of the cupholders in the centre console

It's also possible the key fob battery is low, they run out pretty quickly because they're alway transmitting a signal. Grab yourself a couple of spare coin batteries, you'll probably need one in a year or so

Incidentally if your key fob ever dies in the field, you can remove the manual key by pressing the silver button on the side of the fob. The manual key will then pop out and you remove a little plastic cover on the driver's door to unlock the car

You can then put the fob onto the key symbol to start the car

• Registered Users Posts: 27,930 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The connector may not have been making proper contact with the pins in the car charger.

There's one local to me where I always had to hold the head of the charger up and push in until it connected and started charging. If I didn't do this on the ID3 I got the exact same green flashing lights followed by a solid red.

Perhaps. I did think it seemed a bit 'flimsy' alright. Might try one around here someday just to check.

• Advertisement

Yeah the alternating green and red while charging means the plug isn't seated properly

I think the car also gives an error on the dash like "emergency charging only"

I've found the lock mechanism can engage while the connector isn't fully in, basically stopping it from connecting properly. Unplugging and replugging usually does the trick, but for a dodgy connection on the charger you might be stuck

Advertisement