Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

hill16bhoy wrote: »

Laughing at those who were hoodwinked and now clearly realise they were hoodwinked isn't particularly helpful.

I'm not laughing at them, but I fully understand those that feel a certain amount of schadenfreude.

Whilst they didn't create this mess, they certainly played their part and one mustn't forget that they used money to place Brexit adds in London Newspapers (or it was funneled though them).

They could have stood up for NI and stated that Brexit was a bad idea. You say they were lied to, these are politicians! This is actually their job to understand the possibilities of decisions and debate the best course of action.

The Irish government tried to warn about the border, heck even TM herself stated that it would cause a problem. You seem to be giving them a free pass on anything and that it is now unfair what is potentially going to happen.

Unfair to those in NI sure, but not the DUP. They happily went into government with a party that had just stated that they would deliver Brexit, and that was always going to lead to issues. If they didn't foresee that they they have no right to be in politics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

For all their bigotry I don't believe the DUP have ever campaigned for a hard border in Ireland either during this process.

They campaigned on what the Brexiteers in England did - unicorns and visions of sunlit uplands - ie. to keep all of the benefits of EU membership and dispense with all responsibilities - a massive free lunch in other words.

Northern Ireland's votes did not make the difference in the referendum however, and even had the DUP campaigned for remain, they'd still be in the same position they are in now.

I don't see stupidity as a crime and I don't see it as worthy of punishment by the imposition of something nobody really wants either.
    Actually they have both continued to refuse a soft brexit even as late during the summer and supported no deal. So yes indeed they have intentionally sought to establish a border.
    As for their and the brexiters campaign, they knew exactly what they were looking for - to establish barriers between the EU and GB (while hoping it would apply to NI).
    I see maliciousness from those opposed to the GFA- not stupidity. Even if it were stupidity on the part of some, it is better that the stupid face the consequences of their stupidity- not the rest of us- otherwise we have a moral hazard.

Between NI and the DUP dark funds fueled campaign in GB, who is to say what the effects of the DUP.
    Furthermore, even if there was "nothing they could do" prior to the referendum, they could have pushed for a soft brexit which would resolve everything (and let's not forget that as late as 2014, the DUP were enthusiastic EU supporters)- however they intentionally refused to do so. Their plan at all stages has been to destroy the GFA, return violence to NI in order to breed extremism and force a border between NI and the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭Enzokk

schmittel wrote: »
    In fairness, Labour are making it easy for the Tories and press to exploit the confusion. This Emily Thornberry - Shadow Foreign Secretary:

No doubt that the initial communications from Thornberry was clumsy, but this was Question Time after all with its pantomime crowd and guests where I think it isn't easy to get your message across. But she should have been clear on what the policy is I agree.

For me at least it is clear what the policy is and you hope that it will become easier to relate it to the voters when the election comes around.

DUP saying Johnson confirmed he is not advocating a Northern Ireland only backstop in their meeting. (This is Boris Johnson though and that means he is).

DUP also said they want a deal that's "good for all of the UK and Ireland" - they might be entertaining some notion that we might be prepared to dilute our place in the EU single market to help them out.

How many corners is he going to paint himself into. Either Cummings really is playing chess while we are throwing rocks around or this is all just one big mess up from him and Johnson. I guess we will find out tomorrow already when the initial deadline will approach to release the documents. Obviously with parliament prorogued this will not happen so the battle lines will start to be drawn already.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Northern Ireland is a unique place. Most of its politicians are fanatics in one repsect or another. Everything is about identity, and symbolism. The symbolism of putting any sort of border down the Irish Sea would be seen as just another attempt to erode their place in the Union.

Its ironic actually thats its the Conservative and Unionist party that brought about Brexit. Scotland is inching closer to Independence every day that Brexit drags on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That "changing of the status quo" was extremely nebulous.

It was in fact sold as "changing the status quo" while simultaneously keeping everything everybody liked about EU membership.

That was the Leave campaign's evil genius, to be all things to all people.

It was never, ever sold as putting up trading barriers between NI and Britain, moving a united Ireland closer by stealth, or putting up a hard border in Ireland.

It was all a massive lie.

Laughing at those who were hoodwinked and now clearly realise they were hoodwinked isn't particularly helpful.

Sorry but I don't buy that. I can see how the average English voter may not have understood the complexity of Northern Ireland but not the DUP.
    The DUP and unionist were fully aware of the gfa and how integral EU membership was to that treaty.
    For them brexit was a deliberate attempt to undermine the gfa, bit rich to claim they were hoodwinked.
    They made a very informed choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Listening to BBC NI's Talkback programme today as the DUP's Sammy Wilson discusses the possiblity of a hard border with Professor Deirdre Heenan of Ulster University. He concludes it's all a 'scam'. Here's a transcript from about 47 mins in.
    Prof. Heenan: "The reality is Sammy, nowhere in the world, nowhere, are there two countries joined by a border in different regulatory regimes without checks at the border. It does not exist. And that is why people are genuinely worried."

Sammy Wilson: "Look, there are goods from China that come into the Irish Republic in containers every week. Is every container checked, although there's regulatory differences between the EU and China? Is every container checked?"

Prof. Heenan: "That's not surely your answer for the border, that not everything's checked? Because it says 'butter' on the outside of the lorry doesn't mean there's butter in the lorry. Of course there's going to have to be checks. The reality is once you check one thing you have to check everything."

Sammy Wilson: "And equally, because it says 'telephones' on the outside of the container from China doesn't mean there's telephones in it but they don't check everything. What they do is they use intelligence-led information, they can do checks once containers are opened and the goods go to shops through trading standards, regulations, and using trading standards offices. There's a lot of ways in which goods once they get into the EU are checked, and there's sanctions can be imposed to make sure people don't try to break the rules.

"The Irish government is going to do this anyway. They're saying that in the event of a No Deal it will be possible for them to check goods which cross the border, and to collect taxes on goods that cross the border, therefore, my argument is, this hard border thing is just a nonsense. It's a bit of a scam!"

Hard to believe that's the DUP's Brexit Spokesperson right there. Wilson also said he was "relaxed" that Johnson wouldn't move towards an NI-only backstop based on their meetings with him. Ulster Unionists' Reg Empey made a good point that the DUP invited both Boris and Rees-Mogg over to Belfast, gave them big receptions, listened as they said they wouldn't support the backstop, and then both went on to support May's Deal in the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

See, where have I said anything about tolerating the DUP's bigotry?

I said nothing of the sort, and I do think they're a crowd of hateful, bigoted wee shltes, to use Northern terminology.

What I do respect is their right to their British identity and their opposition to an NI backstop on that basis, as I do with all unionists who oppose it.

Respecting Irish/British/both identities is the cornerstone of the Good Friday Agreement.

If its the cornerstone of the GFA, then the DUP are very happy to ignore it. Any support they have for the GFA is reluctant. Since Arlene became boss, they have done everything they can to wreck the whole peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What about the DUP's funny-money funded campaign on "the mainland"? Did that make a difference? Do you think their right to identify as British also gave them the right to campaign in an entirely different jurisdiction?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I'm not laughing at them, but I fully understand those that feel a certain amount of schadenfreude.

Whilst they didn't create this mess, they certainly played their part and one mustn't forget that they used money to place Brexit adds in London Newspapers (or it was funneled though them).

They could have stood up for NI and stated that Brexit was a bad idea. You say they were lied to, these are politicians! This is actually their job to understand the possibilities of decisions and debate the best course of action.

The Irish government tried to warn about the border, heck even TM herself stated that it would cause a problem. You seem to be giving them a free pass on anything and that it is now unfair what is potentially going to happen.

Unfair to those in NI sure, but not the DUP. They happily went into government with a party that had just stated that they would deliver Brexit, and that was always going to lead to issues. If they didn't foresee that they they have no right to be in politics

It was very interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one who saw it with all that went on yesterday, but there was a question from Nigel Dodds to the SSNI about aligning the North with GB when it comes to political party funding and getting foreign donations banned.

Now on the face of it it looks like a sensible idea but it struck me as a "why ask now?"

Has the DUP's foreign funding now dried up and as such they are concerned about the funding differential between them and SF (who raise a heap of cash in the States)?

Or is there some truth in the weird funding they received for those Brexit ads and as such, they need to start hiding it by banning it now?

Just thought it was a very odd question considering the HIA debate wasn't moved and should have been top of the agenda along with Stormont reopening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

In what way does the backstop/Irish Sea border change weaken their (right to a) British identity? See Gibraltar example from earlier. I identify as Irish and we're known amongst our French entourage as an Irish family, even if I haven't lived permanently in the country for more than twenty years. The fact that I have to show my passport when arriving in Dublin doesn't change that one iota. As has been pointed out numerous times, in reality, the DUP do not want to be truly British - only when it suits their own isolationist agenda.

[If you're not going to accept the result of two recent elections as a valid expression of Corsican sentiment, I think we can leave that off-topic discussion for another time and place]

They feel it does, and that's all that matters - so it does matter. They feel they're being chucked under the bus by the rest of UK, that their status is being changed without their consent. That's an entirely fair point of view.

It's not for me or you to tell people with a British identity in NI how that identity or their right to a British identity is being affected.

Others so inclined could ask, how would a hard border weaken people in NI's right to an Irish identity? As they'd still have the right to an Irish passport and all that - devil's advocate argument.

The answer is, those who have an Irish identity in NI pretty much universally feel it would weaken their right to one - I'd certainly feel that way too - and that's all there is to it, really.

Everything you say about the DUP "not wanting to be truly British" could equally be aimed at any party in NI, Scotland or Wales.

What is "truly British", anyway?

The UK is a nation state made up of constituent parts in which three of those parts voted for autonomy over certain areas.

Erecting a hard border in the sea between NI and Britain was never voted on.

I absolutely accept votes for Corsican separatist parties as a valid expression of pro-Corsican independence sentiment - but that's not what I was asking for - I asked for a poll which showed the majority of Corsicans are in favour of independence, or in favour of erecting barriers to trading with France.

I haven't seen any such poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,385 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Northern Ireland is a unique place. Most of its politicians are fanatics in one repsect or another. Everything is about identity, and symbolism. The symbolism of putting any sort of border down the Irish Sea would be seen as just another attempt to erode their place in the Union.

Its ironic actually thats its the Conservative and Unionist party that brought about Brexit. Scotland is inching closer to Independence every day that Brexit drags on

Strangely though, England seems to be going the same way. Brexit has become tribal, you're either for it or against it and those for it are bordering on the fanatical at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Has the DUP's foreign funding now dried up and as such they are concerned about the funding differential between them and SF (who raise a heap of cash in the States)?

They also have that unexpected £1.5M willed to them by an ex mechanic in England. Every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive-johnson-considering-building-bridge-between-scotland-and-northern-ireland

Boris still looking at the bridge to NI idea.

Even if this wasn't total fantasy, border checks would still be need at the bridge!

They feel it does, and that's all that matters - so it does matter. They feel they're being chucked under the bus by the rest of UK, that their status is being changed without their consent. That's an entirely fair point of view.

It's not for me or you to tell people with a British identity in NI how that identity or their right to a British identity is being affected.

Others so inclined could ask, how would a hard border weaken people in NI's right to an Irish identity? As they'd still have the right to an Irish passport and all that - devil's advocate argument.

The answer is, those who have an Irish identity in NI pretty much universally feel it would weaken their right to one - I'd certainly feel that way too - and that's all there is to it, really.

Everything you say about the DUP "not wanting to be truly British" could equally be aimed at any party in NI, Scotland or Wales.

What is "truly British", anyway?

The UK is a nation state made up of constituent parts in which three of those parts voted for autonomy over certain areas.

I absolutely accept votes for Corsican separatist parties as a valid expression of pro-Corsican independence sentiment - but that's not what I was asking for - I asked for a poll which showed the majority of Corsicans are in favour of independence, or in favour of erecting barriers to trading with France.

I haven't seen any such poll.
    What is a land border?
    It is a massive imposition on a mostly Catholic population who voted against the change in status likely reducing crossing points from 300 to 100, cutting off people from their nearest town, their nearest hospital, ultimately enforced on a resentful population by a foreign military who in the past have murdered members of that population creating massive headaches and costs for agriculture etc. - A massive endeavour that costs a fortune.

What is a sea border?
    A few enhanced checks in locations where checks already take place undertaken by state agents regarded as being kin to the local population.

Who caused this mess? The DUP. Had they demanded a soft brexit, a soft brexit is where we would now be. They have sought to end the GFA and campaigned to change the delicate status quo despite and in fact because of the warnings. Let them reap the whirlwind.
    (And being old testament types, in the end, they will appreciate that).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That is the price for given their over to the Tory party.

It really was. Ireland tried to warn them, Blair, the EU. There was plenty of people trying to warn the UK but they opted to dismiss it as project fear. But it was clear to everyone that it was going to cause an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone putting forward the argument that a NI backstop as a breach of the GFA needs to go back to the original British NI only backstop proposal and highlight what section of the GFA agreement its breaching. Best of luck with that

If we're on about some sort of breach of the spirit of the GFA then get out of town. The DUP and their voters have opposed the GFA since it was first entered into and have done their best to undermine it ever since. That dog won't hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

fash wrote: »
    What is a land border?
    It is a massive imposition on a mostly Catholic population who voted against the change in status likely reducing crossing points from 300 to 100, cutting off people from their nearest town, their nearest hospital, ultimately enforced on a resentful population by a foreign military who in the past have murdered members of that population creating massive headaches and costs for agriculture etc. - A massive endeavour that costs a fortune.

What is a sea border?
    A few enhanced checks in locations where checks already take place undertaken by state agents regarded as being kin to the local population.

Who caused this mess? The DUP. Had they demanded a soft brexit, a soft brexit is where we would now be. They have sought to end the GFA and campaigned to change the delicate status quo despite and in fact because of the warnings. Let them reap the whirlwind.
    (And being old testament types, in the end, they will appreciate that).

You're completely proving my points here.

Total dismissal of any unionist concerns, and schadenfreude at the DUP.

That is nothing more than the other side of the DUP's own coin.

That sort of divisive rhetoric isn't going to do any good for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

However unlikely. Just imagine the reactions in the UK if in a number of years a United Ireland and a newly built bridge paid for entirely by Her Majesty's government both came about as accidental consequences to bumbling Boris incompetence.

They'd lynch him. It would be the subject of ridicule for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Strazdas wrote: »
    Strangely though, England seems to be going the same way. Brexit has become tribal, you're either for it or against it and those for it are bordering on the fanatical at this stage.

It's been that way for 3 years. You are correct though.
    If there was a referendum tomorrow, the max the winning side would get would be 55% in my opinion. It's incredibly divisive and will continue to be because it is so interlinked with the economy and a sense of governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

https://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive-johnson-considering-building-bridge-between-scotland-and-northern-ireland

Even if this wasn't total fantasy, border checks would still be need at the bridge!

I think its very sporting of Boris to want to build a bridge between two countries that will be independent of Britain in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

sdanseo wrote: »
    However unlikely. Just imagine the reactions in the UK if in a number of years a United Ireland and a newly built bridge paid for entirely by Her Majesty's government both came about as accidental consequences to bumbling Boris incompetence.

They'd lynch him. It would be the subject of ridicule for centuries.
    It would be hilarious if they finished that bridge just before Scotland voted to leave the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Probably because the sea is a hard border. It was already there when the referendum was announced, and there's no likelihood of it evaporating or being filled in any time in the next few millenia.

And because the sea is and always has been a hard border, (Northern) Ireland has always been considered - by the rulers of Great Britain - to be a different country. It's written into the title of the nation state. Northern Ireland is not British, not part of Great Britain and it's residents are subject to different laws and socio-economic forces than those who live on the larger island.

And until Theresa May almost signed a Withdrawal Agreement with a NI backstop, the DUP were quite happy to live with all the infrastructure that goes along with a hard geographical border - customs officers and inspection posts at all major ports of entry into Northern Ireland; but none at any crossing points along the land border.
    They feel it does, and that's all that matters ...

Yeah - same as the Leavers felt that they'd given up their sovereignty and all that stuff, when in fact, they'd never lost it. As someone remarked in recent days, if all it takes to make them feel like Brexit is a success, they can have their blue passports, their new 50p and plenty of bendy bananas, all while remaining part of the EU.

In the harsh reality of international politics, feelings don't matter. The DUP gambled on "feeling" and lost. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hope I'm not tempting fate here, but let's say an Irish Sea border was the compromise.

All good, Ireland and NI continue as before.

But two things..... Scotland will not be impressed, and perhaps Loyalist terrorists will awaken from their GFA slumber, oh dear.

What's good for one side is not necessarily good for the other. That's NI for you. (and maybe Scotland too, not the terrorism thing, but being out of EU whilst NI has all the optical and practical benefits of being in).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,751 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

BBC reporting that Boris Johnson is currently presenting the DUP with it's Brexit "options".

All the options in no particular order are:

1. Closer integration with the south
    2. Closer integration with the south
    3. Closer integration with the south

The DUP votes are completely irrelevant to the Tories now and Boris needs a quick deal.

One way or another the DUP has damaged NI's position in the UK. It's just a question of "to what extent?"
    I think they have. I'm sure prior to the DUP having such a role in wider U.K. politics they were seen as a small party who sits in the commons but was no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah, jesus christ. Sorry your feelings are hurt and all that but, you know, Brexit is a fairly serious (and foolhardy) undertaking. Sorry of course also that the DUP have their little feelings hurt.

You must be very naive. We didnt ask for this sh1te, and we are trying to find the least damaging way out of it. No one is going to come out of this sh1tstorm happier than before.

Did the UK consider Irelands feelings in this? No, they did not. Despite the fact it will have huge implications for us, and not just NI. Give over.

I fully acknowledge that a sea border is a change to the status quo. However aside from a no brexit or a soft brexit, there is no more minimal impact on the status quo.
    Furthermore, and to repeat- since there is only a binary choice, who should "suffer" the consequences of a vote to change the status quo and deliberate policy to establish a border: The people who have deliberately and methodically pushed for it or those who sought to prevent it?

Those are the only choices that are left. And those are the only choices that are left because of the DUP. Now choose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are some difficulties.
    An estimated 1.17 million tonnes of conventional weapons and chemical weapons have been deposited in Beaufort Dyke. And some of the old "glow in the dark" too.

But the cost would be insane for little benefit.

Just a reminder about the money pit that is HS2 , now delayed for the duration, 5 years or so

HS2 railway to be delayed by up to five years
    HS2's total cost has also risen from £62bn to between £81bn and £88bn, but Mr Shapps said he was keeping an "open mind" about the project's future.
    Actually it's

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/it-is-time-to-put-the-brakes-on-the-costly-hs2-railway-bvwwbgl8g - by david davis Esq
    In 2010, we were told HS2 would come at a cost of £32.7 billion. Since then we have seen costs rise and rise to the current estimate of £56 billion.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/hs2-high-speed-railway-most-expensive-world-403-million-mile-michael-byng-a7843481.html
    Michael Byng, who created the method used by Network Rail to cost its projects, made the estimates for DfT and said the line would cost double the official figure and 15 times more than the cost per mile of the TGV in France,
    The scheme could cost up to £104bn in total, including extensions to Manchester and Leeds,

http://viz.co.uk/2016/02/16/london/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Look the simple truth is that Brexit is the real enemy here. It's a joke that this has been allowed to go on at all, the vote was poisoned both with cheating by the leave campaign and dark money (Russian Troll Federation meddling too) and the vote was advisory. They were under no legal prerogative to do so and if the vote had been binding then the simple truth is none of this would be happening because the whole thing would have been ruled illegitimate and nullified in a court of law.

As for the whole Nationalist or Unionist viewpoint the simple truth is Brexit is what reactivates the identity issue as it's forcing people to choose when especially when thing's should have been left well enough alone. In addition when it comes down to it as much as the unionist side might feel it's unfair lets face it enforcing at seaports and airports is the only practical and workable solution as there's only a limited number of them. There's over 300 land crossing's which is not only impractical but nigh impossible to properly reinforce. Ultimately there will be a backstop and NI will end up being treated separately because it will be part of any agreement the UK wishes to make and it's geographically separate from Britain because of the sea. That's the price of getting into bed with ideological idiots and tools who dont give a damn about you (Conservatives).

Ultimately the whole backstop thing is purely down to regulating goods plain and simple. Unionists will still be able to travel without issue between NI and Britain I've yet to even hear a PRACTICAL argument why the backstop is a bad thing when all it's designed to do is keep subquality crap out of Ireland and the Single Market. It would be nice if there could be a real reason why exactly this is bad for unionists when there's no practical drawbacks here.

Ultimately if your of a unionist viewpoint here then the simple truth is blame the DUP and conservative's they created this mess, they own it and they're both unfit for power at all they screw over everyone to satisfy themselves and dont give a toss about how anyone else feels. The backstop is also necessary for us because to be honest we weren't consulted or given a choice on this side of the fence and to be honest why should we have to put up border's because of Britains refusal to live up to it's responsibilities or cut ourselves off from the EU single market because the conservatives want their own way.

It's like everything else about Brexit: Brexiteers thinking they can dictate the agenda and get whatever they want or demand. They think they're in control, sadly they forgot the first thing in all of this: When it's the UK vs the EU Our number are bigger than their's and the bigger one ultimately get's their way no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

fash wrote: »
    I fully acknowledge that a sea border is a change to the status quo. However aside from a no brexit or a soft brexit, there is no more minimal impact on the status quo.
    Furthermore, and to repeat- since there is only a binary choice, who should "suffer" the consequences of a vote to change the status quo and deliberate policy to establish a border: The people who have deliberately and methodically pushed for it or those who sought to prevent it?

Those are the only choices that are left. And those are the only choices that are left because of the DUP. Now choose.
    Except that it actually isn't. It's been there for a long, long time. And has had customs posts and every whole thing for a long time too. And nobody will actually notice that anything has changed. Because to all intents and purposes it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Well the idea of an NI only backstop didn't last very long :

"The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) has rejected proposals for a Northern Ireland-only backstop amid speculation at Westminster that Boris Johnson is considering an all-Ireland solution for the Border after Brexit. The party’s leader Arlene Foster said after a meeting with the British prime minister on Tuesday evening he had reassured her and deputy leader Nigel Dodds that he would not accept a withdrawal deal that included such a measure."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/dup-says-johnson-confirmed-rejection-of-northern-ireland-only-backstop-1.4014142

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The DUP - fully aware of the repercussions brexit would bring on the island of Ireland (deal or no deal) actively campaigned for brexit.

When the referendum passed - they pushed as hard as they could for as hard a brexit as they could achieve.

They were too short sighted to see the likely problems a hard brexit (and God love them if there's a no deal brexit) could bring to the six counties, indeed the messier it was up there, the closer a reality of a united Ireland would be.

It seems that it's about to go all pearshaped on them now and they allowed themselves to be the Tories mudwing, as many predicted it would.

They had the chance to advocate for either no brexit, or at least for a softest of soft brexits, which would prob ensure their place in the union indefinitely.

They chose to go the other way (as many of us thought they would)

I've no sympathy for them tbh, they can reap what they have sowed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement