Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

jackboy wrote: »
    I never said there is no Paris accord. I said it is a pile of nonsense thrown together for PR reasons. Do you think it will stop climate change?

Yes you did. Anyway, I don't think that the Paris Accord, as it is currently configured and operating, will stop climate change quickly enough. It's a good idea and well-intentioned but it's not drastic enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

KyussB wrote: »
    Are you a mod or something? Greta is supportive of the Green New Deal - and you and others are constantly pretending there are no solutions that can achieve Greta's stated goal of net zero emissions in 10 years etc..So, in my opinion, it's perfectly on topic - especially given Greta's support of it.Lets hear you put arguments in your own words, if you still think the GND is not an operable plan - as I've already gone through and rebutted those articles.

Nope. Are you? Simply pointing that which is obvious. Every single one of your comments here contains the same promotion of the glorious green new deal - and as the thread title is not - "KyussB Green New Deal" - why not start a dedicated thread?

"Gretas goal" lol? I thought the general spiel was that she was only supposedly saying "listen to the scientists' - so you think she's gone rogue?

But sticking with the topic of greta as per this thread - can you at least post the Link detailing greta herself promoting the "Green New Deal".

I'd really love to see that ....

Btw you rebutted nothing. You simply gave some trite replies. The relevant point remains your statement that there was no arguments against the GND - was clearly balderdash. A quick search showed there are loads and that was just a quick search. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

There is no Paris Accord? Can you prove this?

Do you know that the only thing that matters in the paris accord is what you say you're doing, not what you're actually doing?

Brazil are in it ffs and they're burning the Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

lleti wrote: »
    Do you know that the only thing that matters in the paris accord is what you say you're doing, not what you're actually doing?

Brazil are in it ffs and they're burning the Amazon.

Good idea and it's better than nothing. Helps humanity to delude itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

"what private business has been doing isnt quick enough"
    "if we put the government in charge they can definitely research and develop things that don't currently exist and private business has been trying to do for years in a much shorter timeframe and thats how fully renewable energy will work"
    Precisely. Just like how the US government put men on the moon by the end of the coming decade - and now 50 years later Musk still hasn't achieved manned flight, despite his business being around almost 2 decades, with the full benefit of the fruits of all of NASA's previous tech R&D.

The Americans wouldn’t have reached the moon without the Nazis. (Godwin’s Law). Maybe Musk just needs an ex Nazi to head up his space program.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

gozunda wrote: »

One of those articles suggested "putting mirrors into space". All have a right wing bias not exactly impartial

joe40 wrote: »
    One of those articles suggested "putting mirrors into space". All have a right wing bias not exactly impartial

Read the comment to which I replied first - then reread that comment.

And note - I'm not advocating for any of those articles btw. The poster of the comment to whom I replied - stated that there were no arguments against the Green New Deal.

A quick Google produced those links on the very first page. So whether those websites are are right wing, left wing or one legged flamingo supporting is irrelevant to the fact that there are plenty of arguments out there against this green new deal. Whether anyone chooses to agree with any of those arguments or not is moot.

As to "space mirrors" - afaik this idea has been around for some time. One of the articles mentions same. So not even a novel idea in climate engineering. But as I'm not an engineer I'm am not qualified to detail any further on the idea tbh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_mirror_(climate_engineering)

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Greta ain't no scientist although in her fcuked up brain she probably thinks she knows better than the scientists

:rolleyes:

Mod: Don't post in the thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

They're called Governments. The entities in our countries that do top-down intervention all the time.
    Here is a list of megaprojects completed in the world. Each had a clear aim, a clear goal and clearly set out how they aimed to achieve this.
    The green new deal says "Put money into r&d" and "change to entirely green new energy in 12 years".

The green new deal does not outline how to achieve it's goals and private enterprise is and has been working on this for a long time; which has already lead to big change in carbon output and new technologies.
    No it's for R&D on developing the needed technology as rapidly as possible - it doesn't advocate waiting for that tech first.

Really all we need to do is put money into R&D into transporter and replicator technology ala Star Trek. Then we won't have any emissions at all, and we solve world hunger.

How do you expect to implement the policies before the tech is developed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

NASA just wanted to get a man to the moon, the US government couldn't give a sh*t if they made it back or not at the time. Elon is chasing re-usable, efficient space travel, its a completely different goal and not comparable.

We are told travelling to Spain is a climate sin, taboo, verboten, bad juju, who's going to be travelling to space? The usual hypocrites like Prince Harry, his entourage, and the like I suppose. But don't worry they will have sham carbon credits/indulgences so as not to draw the wrath of witchfinder generals like Greta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

indulgences

Nail on head. A similar thing 'triggered' a lot of people in the 16th Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The catholic church was based on make believe not science. I would be pretty certain the rural folk in here denying everything probably still go to mass. Dinosaurs.

So when is Greta going back to school?

Or is she advocating that no one should go to school at all now?

Gap year. Keep up. Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No she is travelling around the USA at the moment. Haven't seen any coverage of her walking across America. She's hardly using toxin spewing cars??

The catholic church was based on make believe not science. I would be pretty certain the rural folk in here denying everything probably still go to mass. Dinosaurs.

I believe religous dogma then was based on 'belief' and 'concensus' with the odd heretic burning thrown in for good measure - much like a lot of the overt alarmist stuff being exhibited by the current movement.

As to the horn for anyone not living in some woke urban reality - afaik church attendances are pretty much down across the country. And funnily enough populist bs seems to remain independent of geographical location. That said the like of Opus dei and friends all seem to have their headquarters in the capital. Perhaps not surprising then that some conservative mindsets labelling all others 'dinosaurs' are still prevalent there

Gap year. Keep up. Try again.

No Gap year. Recent Interview aired on US TV. No mention of returning to school. She has already detailed that she firmly believes the 'adults' have destroyed her future (and her childhood) and theres no point in getting an education or wtte. I'd reckon the parents have little say in the matter at this stage. But as she knows everything already - there's probably not much point is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

many of the great scientists of the past were priests and monks not to mention others lay people who were strong believers...

don't worry we can gloss over that pesky fact so you can get in your right-on dig at the catholics. :rolleyes:

Puritanical fanaticism is alive and well, hiding behind a thin veil of corrupt politicised science.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    many of the great scientists of the past were priests and monks not to mention others lay people who were strong believers...

don't worry we can gloss over that pesky fact so you can get in your right-on dig at the catholics. :rolleyes:

Oh sorry it must be all true then. Oh yes typical of your type that thinks that anyone who doesnt believe in god is trying to be right on and edgy. Say a prayer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

She is 16 and is under no obligation to ever attend school again besides she knows it all that the world is doomed by 2030 so there really is no point as Mark twain once wrote.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Mark Twain

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Puritanical fanaticism is alive and well, hiding behind a thin veil of corrupt politicised science.

For sure bigotry seems to be alive and still much in evidence ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Making her way down to Santiago for the UN climate conference

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1178770311476633600

What a great experience!

My mother left school at 15 and shes done quite well. Im pretty sure our Greta is going to be fine, whether she goes back to school or not.

She doing the J1? :)

What a great time she has of it. I thought her childhood was stolen? What was she talking about exactly?

Wealthy parents - all she wants
    Now travelling around the world for free.

Seems to be having a better childhood than 99.99% of people to me.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What a great experience!

I see she mentions 'protesting' on Fridays - I presume she is referring to the school strikes she popularised?

It's a bit hypocritical no? To have a school strike on Fridays - she needs to be actually in school. Maybe that's not important to her ...

To be fair most people finish their secondary education and graduate before going trotting off around S. America and similar.

I presume money is not a problem having wealthy parents who seem to give in to every whim. Yet another spoilt rich kid? ...

She needs to get on the 'gram - grow that online following and increase exposure and get some sponsorships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

gozunda wrote: »
    I see she mentions 'protesting' on Fridays - I presume she is referring to the school strikes she popularised?

It's a bit hypocritical no? To have a school strike on Fridays - she needs to be actually in school. Maybe that's not important to her ...

To be fair most people finish their secondary education and graduate before going trotting off around S. America and similar.

I presume money is not a problem having wealthy parents who seem to give in every whim. Yet another spoilt rich kid? ...

No.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »

What a great experience!

Nice junket. Doing well for someone whose childhood and future was stolen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement