Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CianFarrell

That would obviously be a great option but I’m not ever sure where to begin to find someone like that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Carbrainfix in London are adverting kle unit repair for all the faults mentioned here BUT they only seem to list current 5 series and 7 series. They list the repair at 500 sterling.

Maybe your model 3 series has a module that they cannot repair however its certainly worth an email.

A quick Google says any garage would be able to pull the part and put back in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭User1998

Search Google for an Auto Electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Not your typical auto electrician work I’d say.. If close to Cork, Donal in KC Systems is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

When I bought my car, one of the first things I did was go to delete the old user profile, to set up my own one. I am convinced to this day that the original profile had Apple Carplay installed. When I reset and set mine up, it had vanished. It was a UK import and there was some guff about it would have been available there, but not here...

I'm quite happy to try and install it myself, but I'm being told I need to install a wifi cable, which is a reasonable amount of work. Before I go taking apart the dash, is there any way of finding out through the system if there actually is a cable installed or not?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Do you have the BMW App installed on your phone?

If yes , go through the app and see what "services" are listed as active for the car , it should tell you whether Apple Carplay is available for the car.

Originally it was a paid upgrade that had to be renewed every year, but I think they changed that more recently (they certainly did for Android Auto)

It might just take a call to BMW via the app to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭kirving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭kirving

Not in all cases unfortunately. The 330e battery itself contains the safety contactor, if it loses power from the battery itself or cuts out due to a collision, it cannot be re-enabled outside of a BMW dealer.

However, the KLE should be doable I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

I have a question about the MPG of the car. I have only driven probably 100km since I got it, I have charged it every time but I am using some petrol as the tank has gone down.

The MPG is just constantly reading 90 and won't change, is that just giving me the mpg of the battery? Or battery and petrol..

I just find it really odd that is hasn't moved considering I have used petrol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The MPG shown is a combined figure of both Electric and Petrol.

The app will tell you how many miles you've done under each power source.

Generally speaking I get about 500kms from a tank of fuel which works out at about 6.5l/100 kms for Petrol only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hi,

What do PHEV owners do re charging.

EG my car has a total battery power giving 35km (it never gets that) today I used 15km leaving 15km on the battery.

Should I plug in every night regardless of the charge or should I try to do tomorrows trips which will probably only be 20km total.

I.e will charging a battery every day mess it up, should charging only be done when the car is completely empty or is o ok to charge with percentage left...

Internet is saying you will wreck the battery charging it every day if it's only half used or anywhere close to empty, and that putting it through extra cycles destroys them

And you should only charge them when the battery is fully empty, which is not most of the time

Post edited by Goose81 on

From what I have read , the charging profile on PHEVs are very different to full Electric.

PHEV batteries are designed to be charged repeatedly and also to but run down to zero on a regular basis.

Who really knows , but there are lots of users on here with older cars that have no issues with battery capacity/range so it doesn't seem like repeated charging has an significant issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

My G20 330e had 65,000km on the clock when I traded it in a few weeks ago - charged most nights from 0-100% and the range on the dash remained more or less consistent (weather / driving dependent) from the day I got it. I’ve a G21 330e as a replacement now and it is being charged every night just like the last one. When I picked it up it was showing 54km range at 100% but the closest I’ve gotten it since has been 48km !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

I had a G20 330e for about six weeks recently while waiting for another car to arrive. I assumed that I wouldn’t like it and that the fuel economy would be rubbish as I do a lot of long journeys. Glad to say I was completely wrong. Lovely car to drive and over 6500kms I averaged 59mpg. I plugged it in every night to make sure I got the most of my electric kilometres and the highest I saw was 51kms on a full charge. In saying that on a few long journeys of over 400kms in a day I’d usually get about 70kms electric with the regeneration.

I had driven a 530e previously and wasn’t overly impressed but the 330e is a cracking option of you can manage the tiny boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

yeah the boot on the G20 is a problem - I managed with it for 3 years as I had another estate on the driveway, but when I got rid of that it was a bit of an issue. So swapped for the G21 LCI and while it isn't a massive boot for an estate it just about does the job with dogs etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 36 causewayer

Is there a way to find out the ICE mileage of a 530e G30, rather than the total mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Go to the car menu off the home, then driving information -> Journey Date. In here you chance the values since option if it's not set to factory... also shows you the total EV mileage too in there.

On the total mileage screen there will be the Total figure and a eDrive figure in Blue if I remember right. One minus the other = ICE mileage. Make sure you are on the Values Since Factory that you set in the car menu above.

On mine, under 'Driving information', there is only ' On board computer' and 'Trip computer'. No Journey Date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Maths my dear friend,

Whats the fuel economy? L/100km and kWh/100km, and total mileage done.

If you can add up the kWh used each month to charge the car in the app, it should give you the ice mileage after subtracting,

A rough way would be to assume its like my 330e and gives around 7 l /100km, so if your figures are 3.5 l per 100 km and you done 10000 km its safe to assume you done 5000km on electricity, its a bigger car, I cannot say what the petrol only consumption is.

Cancelled

I charge every night on a cheap EV rate, and as I do a lot of short trips I generally top up a few times every day (using PV). After 3 years, there is no noticeable difference in EV range.  

I charge every night on a cheap EV rate, and as I do a lot of short trips I generally top up a few times every day (using PV). After 3 years, there is no noticeable difference in EV range.  

Thanks Kanuseeme, but I didn't have the car from new so don't know what the previous owner had driven on EV. Also my app doesn't show data back to when I bought the car. I may have originally set up as a UK account and then changed it to an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Guessing it's on iDrive 7 but not iDrive 6. Earlier 530e models are iDrive 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Anyone on here using a phone holder in their 530e and if so where did you locate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Yes..

You can see your Electric and Petrol mileage in the My BMW application and in the car menu.

In the car menu you can choose your "Journey details" from last refuel and it shows EV mileage and total miles so you can get the petrol only number from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Thanks

Id be interested to hear what fuel economy other 530e owners get (L/100km) without plugging in.

I do a lot of trips down the country and wouldn’t be able to plug in for days on end. Your 6.5L/100km is significantly worse than my 520d 5.4L/100km average. Of course it’s not the only consideration when buying…

Advertisement