Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dayo Kayo

Also, if I was to pay the €100, it would only last for a year! WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

I just got a 192 530e (love it) and set up the app from scratch. Originally a UK car. I'm getting this subscription prompt too, which is disappointing.

Was the unlimited duration an option from new I wonder?

Disappointing not to be able to see basic info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Did you get your car from a BMW dealer ? BMW dealers go through all the app setup with you as part of the car handover so I imagine they don't want that experience to include them saying "now take out your credit card and pay €100" right after you've just handed them 40k.

Yea, I'm guessing that the unlimited option was from when the car was brand new. Pretty bad though. I would even consider paying but not an annual fee, f**k that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

No it wasn’t a BMW garage. To be fair the garage i bought it from said he’ll check with bmw. We’ll see…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Trying to find info for someone here.

There was a posted whose 530e black trim discolored and I was wondering if it was a warranty job or what bmw said about it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That was me.

BMW replaced it under warranty.

In my case they replaced one of the fog light surrounds and also the little piece of trim between the kidney grills (where the front camera goes).

I asked them about it and the Service guy called the warranty person in the dealer and they approved it pretty much immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi All, Looking for a little advice. Currently driving a Lexus IS300h 2018 and while its a great car it a little small for me as i prefer the next segment up and as such looking to get back into a 5series. 530e is the preferred option as the one thing the Lexus has its the hybrid and the almost 950km range from the 2.5 petrol and ev assist under a 55ltr tank.

My commute is a 33km from home to work 3 days a week. I have access to a work charge point so can charge at work for free in a couple of hours and at home on 3 pin until i get a charge point. I am hoping most of my commute can be under electric where possible?

reading a fair bit in this post i am looking to get real world range on a circa 2018 530e. been to see a few and just love the look and feel of them so anything i should be aware of from a running cost or problem areas?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

First thing to determine is if the battery is 7.5kw or 12kw, the latter obviously having longer range. You also need to consider the ambient temperature at any given time as this has an effect on range.

I have a 7.5kw battery and would guess its shy of 20km in winter and just shy of 25km in summer. Driving styles needs to be considered also though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mines a 12kw and I'd get ~30km in winter and ~38km in Summer. I have gotten closer to 50km in summer reasonably regularly but that requires really paying attention to driving style.

However , driving style and journey type play a big part.

You'll get the best mileage from a single medium speed journey - So on your commute if you can drive most of it at a steady 80/90km on a dual carriageway or whatever you'll do much better than lots of stop start in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maddness

Do any of you bother to use public chargers or is it a waste of money?

I picked up a 2022 330e this morning and was just wondering if it is worth it?

Pretty rarely to be honest.

I have a charger at home and that is all I need.

Given that the car charges very slowly , you'd need to be connected to a Public Charger for 3+ hrs for a full charge so unless you are parking up for the day in town to go shopping or something it's just not worthwhile.

I have used "private" chargers (for the want of a better term) many times - They have chargers at my office and I take my father to hospital appointments and often plug in there because I know I'll be there for a few hours.

But in terms of on-street public chargers, I almost never use them.

Put it this way - When I got my car a little over 2 years ago I set up an ESB charging account and put €20 credit on the card.

I think I still have about 6 or 7 euro left on the card from that original €20!!

Nope. I wouldn’t use a public charger on the 530e. The cost compared to waiting against just getting on with your journey.

Remember, they can only charge at 3.7kw. So you can only use the slow charge points which are 56c per kWh. So that’s about €4.50 fill and a 2.5 hour wait.

Charge every night at home.

Edit. You have the 2022 12 kWh battery so 56c X 12 =€6.72. I wouldn’t be stopping on a run to charge myself. Dublin is paid parking too so you’d be paying twice. It wouldn’t be for me. Substantially cheaper at home.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Are there loads of work chargers? Are there any full EVs at work?

There's a guy works with us we don't allow him use the chargers for his outlander phev as it charges too slow, needs to charge every single day and he works away from the office so can't even plug out when its finished. Feel a bit bad denying him but resources must be used properly.

Another has a 330e but he must charge at home never even asked about charger in work. Or he doesn't bother charging at all, not sure.

Theres 2 of us with full EVs that plug in once a week and fully charge in a few hours. 11kw charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Public charging is cost neutral at the moment, the only perks are free parking (not everywhere) and saving polar bears and pacific islanders, I myself charge whenever I can, 10 seconds to do it, not much point in buying a phev and not charging it tbh, if your parking and the charger is there might as well use it.

we have a couple of chargers, however i am in the office from 6:30/7am 3 days a week so i can top up for a couple hours and then move it before the crowd get in. We have a pretty good crowd that rotate cars when done so not to block chargers all day with one car. i think they are looking at a couple more charge points this year also. my plan is to charge for 3 days in office. then the rest of the week i can potter around from thursday to sunday and then charge monday morning. i can charge at home if needed in the mean time

Was just having a think about my commute. its a 33km with a run down the N2 onto the M50, off at the Red Cow and onwards for a couple miles. Then Return.

i can use battery only on the N2 - flick into petrol/mix on M50 and back to battery from red cow to office.

i think this gets me a good 60/70% if not more on leccy and the rest on mix so would think petrol usage would be minimal - i deep dive too much into this stuff.

I don’t think you’ll get thurs-mon on the same charge to be honest. With PHEV you have to take account of dragging the engine with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yep, overthinking it! First and foremost you are looking at buying a 5 series, not an EV. 5 series among the most highly regarded cars on the road for the last 40 odd years, very hard to find anything better. I have had plenty of them.

Its an expensive car no matter what year you are buying and trying to trick yourself into thinking you have a full EV while always having to think about your next charge session will wreck your head and diminish your enjoyment of the car and leave you disappointed.

Very few better cars or nicer places to sit than the likes of a 5 series/A6/ EClass and to be worrying whether you're using petrol or electricity all the time will be a headwreck. I also think trying to plug in after every drive will be massive pain in the hole, I looked at both 530e and A6 PHEV to replace my A6 diesel and decided to go completely left field and bought a full EV, Cupra Born. Is it as nice as a 5 series or A6? No, not even close, but I plug in once, maybe twice the odd week, I plugged in to 100% on Monday and I am sitting at 72% now. You will need to plug in 10+ times a week to run on battery mainly, after every drive really and that includes lugging cables out in the rain and wind most weeks here in Ireland. Might be easier to say not today!

However, I still have my eye on the i5 and a6 etron coming out later this year so I get the draw of premium manufacturers and big plush cars.

Buy the car, enjoy it, charge when you can, put petrol in when you need it, sit back, let the car decide to use petrol or battery. Overall cost of ownership when you decide to sell it won't be massively affected by buying a diesel, a petrol or a PHEV.

For what its worth, if there was a 100km electric range PHEV available in the above cars, I'd be buying one in a heartbeat. I think theres a C Class close to that actually.

Although going out of fashion a bit now, I do think longer range PHEV will turn out to be a big part of the long term future of motoring albeit with very high petrol prices, not everyone is going to go EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

With the temperature now above 12-13 degrees the 530e 7.5kw range has increased significantly. I got 30kms from a charge at the weekend, where during the winter it would have been more like 20ish.

Same here. Although the car still thinks it’s on a bit of monster juice and displayed 40km range today 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JorgeL

What are thoughts on the battery life? Been hearing roughly 6-7 years.. and pretty expensive to get. Im thinking of buying a 2018 which will be 5 years old at this stage. I don't want to get a massive shock in a couple of years time..

2017 here and still going strong.

BMW BMS is one of the best out there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JorgeL

Is it worth taking out a warranty with BMW?

Depends on cost. And your panic levels.

Battery can be picked up across the pond for cheap enough. Cheaper than a timing chain replacement now.

@unkel picked one up for his EV conversion recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Indeed and BMW have an excellent reputation for their EV batteries. The ones in early i3 are now 10 years old and not known at all to be prone to failure. Always worth your while to check with BMW how much an extended warranty is for your car. Your call to then make the trade off, peace of mind, vs the extra cost of the warranty

Also just checked and the BMW warranty on PHEV batteries is 6 years or 60k miles whichever comes first. So might be tempting to get a 2018 car where you have another year of warranty left, instead of a 2017 car. If the price difference isn't that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Folks, I've been eyeing up a G30 530e to replace my Golf R Estate in the coming months. I love pretty much everything about the Golf, but the fuel costs and that it spends 99% of its time doing regular commutes, makes it feel a bit wasted.

I've always wanted a 5 Series, and would prefer to avoid diesel so the 530e looks like an ideal replacement. I'm just wondering, for those of you that have young kids, is the reduced boot space of the saloon sufficient? We're expecting our first kid later this year, and the only thing that's giving me doubt is going from the load space in the Golf Estate (610 litres with the rear seats up) to 410 litres in the 530e.

Finally, has anyone had their 530e remapped? If so, what has been your experience? Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Did someone here have trouble with the extended warranty not covering battery issues.

Advertisement