Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in el paso

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have to say I love how this went from a mass shooting to look at NATO , look at Australia and how gun control haven't worked (but they actually do and did) to Pakistan .

What has NATO got to do with a mass shooting in America god only knows

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

banie01 wrote: »
    He's just trolling now IMO.
    Even Manic wouldn't try and run with that point!
    There has already been a warning against backseat modding

dudara wrote: »
    Troll posts deleted. Please don’t feed the trolls. Report and let the mods tackle them.

dudara

Please pay attention to it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gatling wrote: »
    What has NATO got to do with a mass shooting in America god only knows

Sure it's a grand diversion.

Anything but actually talk about the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Yeah several of the gun companies regularly run quick get them before there banned ads and videos with associated dealers on social media and the buyers flock with cash in hand .

The U.S. has put itself in quite a bind with its culture and the number of guns already in circulation.

Mass shooting are normal now. Its beyond me how it'll be sorted out. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What will never happen some reform of gun control will happen but not for at least an election or 2

Agreed. America needs gun reform and I think it will happen but it’ll take a decade or more. The NRA is too powerful an entity right now. I was responding to the guy who said “simple - just take the guns back” ... that will NEVER happen. There’s absolutely nothing simple about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Leftists never really had a platform before. CNN / NBC had liberals all right but they were rational folk for the main but now the hosts on these networks are all card carrying members of the looney left and get to say whatever the hell they like each and every night, creating the most ridiculous of narratives. Then their minions retweet the bejaysus out of it.

Hollywood has been going this way for some time though. Leftist nonsense is often shoehorned into films as an accepted fact. BlackkKlansman, for example, took the biscuit entirely and effectively put Trump on par with the KKK and also implied the death in Charlottesville was his fault. I agree with Larry Elder, Candace Owens etc who call the left out for exaggerating racism in America for gain. Political and monetary.

The truth is the left are milking the El Paso shooting. The majority of them couldn't care less about innocent deaths. DeWayne Craddock shot and killed 12 people in Virginia Beach just a little of two months back and where were these people? Guy called Gary Martin went into a factory he had just been sacked from in Illinois six months ago and killed 5 people, wounded another 6. Chap wasn't even legally allowed to possess a gun because of a previous conviction. Again, where were all these people? Nowhere. Why? Well, we all know why.

The outrage is political. The left never care unless the shooter is white. CNN were more concerned with Omar Mateen's sexuality after he murdered 49 people and wounded 53. When 8 police officers were shot dead because they had the audacity to be white Obama had the gall to preach about the KKK at their memorial, thereby absolving black people. And people suggest he didn't sow division? Kori Ali Muhammad shot and killed 4 white people just because they were white. Emanuel Kidega Samson went into a church to do similar, kill white people, but after shooting seven people (1 died) he accidently shot himself after an usher tackled him.

It's pretty clear that the mainstream media in the states have an objective and that's to amplify news that fits their nausting narrative and all but ignore news which doesn't. Or at the very least, report it in a way which is favourable to their agenda and if that means lying, well then so be it. There is very little consequences for them if they are exposed and lots to gain when they are not.

The following a brief selection of recent examples of their madness.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1159342750455590913

Are you suggesting that this guy went down to el paso because he watched that stuff on the profit driven yet leftist media by time traveling into the future to watch them?

I was fairly sure he published his reasons and the language used was rather trumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

notobtuse wrote: »
    Please don't put lies in my mouth. It pretty much makes everything else you claim worthless. I said the movie shouldn't have been made in the first place... never did I say it should not have been allowed to be made or it should be censored. An apology would be nice but I doubt it would be forthcoming.

Ok, fair enough. You saying that a movie shouldn't have been made is not exactly the same as saying the movie shouldn't have been allowed to be made. In my mind they were similar but I accept your point so I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Are you suggesting that this guy went down to el paso because he watched that stuff on the profit driven yet leftist media by time traveling into the future to watch them?

I was fairly sure he published his reasons and the language used was rather trumpy.

You completely missed his point. He's talking about the media response. The left-wing media engages in scaremongering that is quite simply on par with the right-wing media these days, driven by the fact that it's full of mainly progressives with few moderates.

The right had their fun after Sep 11, during the Iraq and Afghan wars and to a smaller extent during the height of ISIS, driving the fear of Muslims, its now simply the lefts turn.

They're big bogeyman is straight white males and White Nationalism. Had an Islamic extremist done this the rhetoric coming from the left would just be switched to the right, and it'd be those on the left engaging in the up Hill battle of showing that, whilst yes a big problem, its being blown out of all proportion eg people believing that White nationalism is now part of "mainstream" conservatism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No change to legislation.
    No change to Walmart's policy to allow open carry in stores that are in a state that allows it.
    But this man was arrested.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/08/us/walmart-armed-man-springfield-missouri/index.html

I believe change is needed but how does arresting people that are not breaking the law help?

tuxy wrote: »
    No change to Walmart's policy to allow open carry in stores that are in a state that allows it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/08/us/walmart-armed-man-springfield-missouri/index.html

I believe change is needed but how does arresting people that are not breaking the law help?

Seems he went looking for attention and got it
    Open carry with body armour and military fatigues ,

The gas thing is if he was shot by the police there would have been a bigger outcry than the 2 mass shootings

"All we know is the fact that he walked in here heavily armed with body armor on, in military fatigues and caused a great amount of panic inside the store. So he certainly had the capability the potential to harm people,"

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

LOL
    Yeah I cant see it either. Why did he get arrested for wearing body armor and open carrying days after a major shooting in walmart?

I just cant figure it out
    353cd2fc-7c16-4972-91a8-9c2e97a50ab0-Julie_Belew_photo.jpg?crop=538,717,x0,y112&width=640

He has the right to defend himself from attackers until the law is changed on what is considered acceptable defense precautions.
    Now perhaps it will come to light that he had broken the law but no one is reporting that yet.

He has the right to defend himself from attackers until the law is changed on what is considered acceptable defense precautions.
    Now perhaps it will come to light that he had broken the law but no one is reporting that yet.

Lets be real here, he knew what he was doing. He should be arrested and guns taken off for being a tool.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Lets be real here, he knew what he was doing. He should be arrested and guns taken off for being a tool.

Yes he may be one of the majority of Americans who take the bill of rights very seriously and he may have also seen the announcement from Walmart reassuring their customers that it is still ok to open carry within their stores. There is no doubt he know what he was doing he was doing and now people have to decide if they want the law changed or turn a blind eye to people being arrested for not breaking the law.

Yes he may be one of the majority of Americans who take the bill of rights very seriously and he may have also seen the announcement from Walmart reassuring their customers that ok is still ok within their stores. There is no doubt he know what he was doing and knew what the law way.

Nah. He’s a massive tool that wanted attention. Now he’s being investigated for disturbing the peace. No need for mental gymnastics

Nah. He’s a massive tool that wanted attention. Now he’s being investigated for disturbing the peace. No need for mental gymnastics

Do you expect this to happen every time someone open carries in a shopping complex which allows open carry?

Do you expect this to happen every time someone open carries in a shopping complex which allows open carry?

Lol my guy if you dont see how someone intentionally wearing tactical gear while open carrying a rifle days after a major shooting at the same chain store violates a certain breach of peace laws then youre lost.

And yes they arrest open carriers all the time especially when theyre being massive morons

Lol my guy if you dont see how someone intentionally wearing tactical gear while open carrying a rifle days after a major shooting at the same chain store violates a certain breach of peace laws then youre lost.

And yes they arrest open carriers all the time especially when theyre being massive morons

This could easily be prevented if Walmart or the state had reconsidered its open carry rules.

This could easily be prevented if Walmart or the state had reconsidered its open carry rules.

Nah mate reactionary policies wont help

Nah mate reactionary policies wont help

It will if the policies are problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

So everything he did was legal. Then he should sue the police and walmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Agreed. Attention seeker. If he got shot that would have been his tough shít.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    You completely missed his point. He's talking about the media response. The left-wing media engages in scaremongering that is quite simply on par with the right-wing media these days, driven by the fact that it's full of mainly progressives with few moderates.

The right had their fun after Sep 11, during the Iraq and Afghan wars and to a smaller extent during the height of ISIS, driving the fear of Muslims, its now simply the lefts turn.

They're big bogeyman is straight white males and White Nationalism. Had an Islamic extremist done this the rhetoric coming from the left would just be switched to the right, and it'd be those on the left engaging in the up Hill battle of showing that, whilst yes a big problem, its being blown out of all proportion eg people believing that White nationalism is now part of "mainstream" conservatism.

The problems with the rise of white nationalism are well founded. So much so that the FBI has said as much. For the media to ignore it or call it a hoax would be negligent. Given the rise of white nationalism and given the mass shootings and attempted bombings that were explicitly the product of white nationalism there's no question that this is something that the media should be covering.

White nationalism isn't some abstract thing that racists simply discuss during their forest cosplays - it's something with tangible results like people actually dying.

Add to that a President who knows that a large proportion of his voting block are racist and xenophobic and acts accordingly and you have the perfect storm.

I get that Trump wants to blame the media for this but like much of what he says, it's little more than self serving horse shít.

Agreed. Attention seeker. If he got shot that would have been his tough sh

If he had, it would have been his own fault.

And into the bargain, I think a lot of folk would simply have rolled their eyes and thought "another fucking ejit who tried it on and got a bullet for his trouble"

There's something deeply wrong with many, many, Americans.

Tony EH wrote: »
    If he had, it would have been his own fault.

And into the bargain, I think a lot of folk would simply have rolled their eyes and thought "another fucking ejit who tried it on and got a bullet for his trouble"

There's something deeply wrong with many, many, Americans.

If he feels the need to wear body armour and Carry a semi automatic rifle loaded to his supermarket ,maybe he should try shopping on line or maybe seek professional mental health services

If he feels the need to wear body armour and Carry a semi automatic rifle loaded to his supermarket ,maybe he should try shopping on line or maybe seek professional mental health services

It might handy if Reagan hadn't shut all the community mental health facilities down though. This facilities never rose back up again, so it costs an extortionate amount to seek professional mental health services.

Money that most ordinary folk just don't have.

The problems with the rise of white nationalism are well founded. So much so that the FBI has said as much.
    Yes, but I don't believe the reasons for mass shootings are as well understood as they should/could be.
    For the media to ignore it

Never said they should
    or call it a hoax

Never said they should.
    would be negligent.

Yes it would be negligent if they did. What I'm saying is they have gone in the exact opposite direction.
    Given the rise of white nationalism and given the mass shootings and attempted bombings that were explicitly the product of white nationalism there's no question that this is something that the media should be covering.

I don't disagree.
    White nationalism isn't some abstract thing that racists simply discuss during their forest cosplays - it's something with tangible results like people actually dying.

I don't disagree, most forms of extremism end up with people getting hurt or murdered.
    Add to that a President who knows that a large proportion of his voting block are racist and xenophobic and acts accordingly and you have the perfect storm.

I get that Trump wants to blame the media for this but like much of what he says, it's little more than self serving horse shít.

I don't think it's a large proportion though. This is where I disagree with you and the left-wing media. Most people aren't racists and white nationalists, and indeed most Trump supporters aren't either. This is a left-wing media narrative.

If Ilan Omar ever became president, we'd see attempts by the right to portray her as a Muslim extremist or a supporter of such people. In fact Donald Trump tries to do this himself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/15/us/politics/trump-fact-check-ilhan-omar.html

Now whats interesting is these comments:
    The two expressed frustration that Somalis and Arabs in general were asked to condemn or apologize for the attack because of an assumption, Ms. Omar said, that “we all are connected to this somehow.”

Now what the left is trying to do is similar, making an assumption that all conservatives and Republicans are somehow connected or supporters of White-nationalism or this attack.

She also talked of a
    sensationalized media,” Ms. Omar responded. “You have these sound bites and these words, and everybody says it with such intensity so it must mean or hold a bigger meaning.”

Now where me and her would probably differ, is that I'd view the left-wing media as every bit as sensationalist as it's equivalent on the right.

I don't think it's a large proportion though. This is where I disagree with you and the left-wing media. Most people aren't racists and white nationalists,

mcmoustache didn't say that they were. Nor does the so-called "left wing media".
    and indeed most Trump supporters aren't either.

mcmoustache didn't say this either, nor does the so-called "left wing media".
    This is a left-wing media narrative.

No it isn't. It's a strawman you've created.

The argument being made is clear. There are a proportion of those who support Trump that are extremist, right wing, white nationalists.

And Trump is doing nothing to discourage that support. In fact, it can be argued that he's encouraging it with the things that he says, which is like catnip to these clowns.

But nobody in either CNN or Huffpost, or whatever, are trying to construct an argument that "all conservatives and Republicans are somehow connected or supporters of White-nationalism". Such an idea is silly.

I've no time for either side of the media over there. It's childish and stupid and aimed at such people. About the only thing I'd listen to would be 'Democracy Now' and even then, I haven't listened to Amy Goodman since the Iraq War.

American "news" is nonsense and it's been that way for 20 years.

mcmoustache didn't say that they were. Nor does the so-called "left wing media".

It was an observation, I wasn't suggesting he believed that was the case.
    mcmoustache didn't say this either, nor does the so-called "left wing media".

See above.
    No it isn't. It's a strawman you've created.

The argument being made is clear. There are a proportion of those who support Trump that are extremist, right wing, white nationalists.

And Trump is doing nothing to discourage that support. In fact, it can be argued that he's encouraging it with the things that he says, which is like catnip to these clowns.

But nobody in either CNN or Huffpost, or whatever, are trying to construct an argument that "all conservatives and Republicans are somehow connected or supporters of White-nationalism". Such an idea is silly.

I've no time for either side of the media over there. It's childish and stupid and aimed at such people. About the only thing I'd listen to would be 'Democracy Now' and even then, I haven't listened to Amy Goodman since the Iraq War.

American "news" is nonsense and it's been that way for 20 years.

Well nearly 1 in 2 Democrats think Trump supporters are racist whilst "Fifty-seven percent (57%) of self-described political liberals believe those who vote for Trump are racist." Do these beliefs spring up out of thin air, do you not believe the media plays any part in creating this impression?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/july_2019/49_of_democrats_think_trump_voters_are_racist

Joe Lockhart, now a CNN contributor blatantly stated it in a tweet of his
    Anyone who supports a racist or a racist strategy is a racist themselves. 2020 is a moment or reckoning for America. Vote for @realDonaldTrump and you are a racist. Don’t hide it like a coward. Wear that racist badge proudly and see how it feels.

https://twitter.com/joelockhart/status/1155237947035308032

Now, no, most analysts, contributers and writers will not state it as explicitly as that but there are definitely "Republicans are racists" tropes I believe the word is that exist over there, the same way there are "Muslim=bad" tropes eminating from the right.

And I agree with your last paragraph.

• Advertisement

Now what the left is trying to do is similar, making an assumption that all conservatives and Republicans are somehow connected or supporters of White-nationalism or this attack.

She also talked of a

Now where me and her would probably differ, is that I'd view the left-wing media as every bit as sensationalist as it's equivalent on the right.

Like the vast majority of people over on this side of the pond, I don't watch American news outside of the viral clips that make the rounds. However, I'm not seeing anything like the nightly Hannity/Pirro/Carlson/Ingraham scaremongering being done by the popular non Trump media. Sure, you'll get the odd guest or talking head saying something silly from time to time but it's like comparing a teaspoon of water to a biblical flood. The stuff from Fox is sycophantic praise in the morning and then nasty scare-mongering in the evenings.

And referring to the publicly traded corporate media that spends more time selling drugs than promoting Sanders or Warren as "leftist" is seriously disingenuous even when you consider where the centre is in US politics. I understand the need to paint it as left-wing but I don't see any traits there that I would associate with any form of lefty behaviour.

Advertisement