Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Burns gone for 47. One of the positives England can take from the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Burns gone 47. One of the positives England can take from the series.

indeed, he has been impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I know its probably not, but it feels like a real 5th test ashes are retained match

Australia should have been motivated to win this one as they have not won a Test series in England since 2001, and England would very much have wanted to bounce back after a disappointing performance, but I guess its been a long summer of cricket for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Terrible shot by Stokes

Neither team been great and yet here we are. Aussies will be delighted 130/3

• Advertisement

Terrible shot by Stokes

exactly what the commentary from cricinfo said! looking forward to the highlights tonight

Anjobe wrote: »
    Australia should have been motivated to win this one as they have not won a Test series in England since 2001, and England would very much have wanted to bounce back after a disappointing performance, but I guess its been a long summer of cricket for everyone.

Both teams are motivated obviously for the reasons you mentioned, it just feels flat to me, probably down to the atmosphere, sounds more quiet then the previous tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes it’s flat for an Ashes game, though it’s pretty much a dead rubber in terms of the status of the series.

this is building nicely now. 176/5. 2 new batsmen with butler and curran

They're falling now

or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Brilliant setup of Bairstow by Marsh, 5 outswingers wide of off stump and then the inswinging yorker.

And now Curran gone, another inswinger, plumb lbw. This one from Cummins.

And it’s a no ball! Curran survives.

Must have been a centimeter in that

Shame for Cummins because that was a textbook lbw. Don’t overstep the line!

It was there to be hit a wide half volley just didn’t get enough bat on it.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Ashes retained but odd stuff from Australia since, Head dropped, bowling first today and Siddle in for Starc,,,,what is the point of Mitch Marsh again?:confused:

Test not lost yet, but need a few wickets this session.

Marsh earning his keep to be fair to him!

Lots of starts for England but the inability to get a century on the scoreboard is really a problem.

Marsh is getting the ball to do all sorts

On that pitch, Smith will bat for days, ha

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Leach has done all that can be asked of him already....

Think England will just be the more satisfied after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

On that pitch, Smith will bat for days, ha

He has to fail some time, doesn't he? Hopefully the ball will swing for Woakes and Curran too and we'll at least get a competitive match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Hard to assess that day, 103-1 was a good start, but around 300 would only be a par score. Could be a few runs short

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭decies

Up to smith again now can’t imagine the rest of the Aussie batsmen chasing over 300 plus .

Hard to assess that day, 103-1 was a good start, but around 300 would only be a par score. Could be a few runs short

I think the level of success of today will be put into context by the morning session.

If England can stay out there for an hour or over, manage the strike and get 320/330 plus which will take a bit of doing against fresh, rested bowlers with very much a tail ender all be it a decent enough one with a shot or two and an organized defense at the crease it can be a successful innings and just about advantage England.

If they get skittled for 285 I think the Aussies are relaxed and relatively content.

The first 20 overs of the Aussie first innings will go a long way as regards deciding the match. If they get around 70 or 80 for the loss of just one wicket they’d be confident enough of a draw anyway...

He has to fail some time, doesn't he? Hopefully the ball will swing for Woakes and Curran too and we'll at least get a competitive match.

he'd have to fail twice though, which seems highly unlikely at the moment.

Maybe we'll have to start counting his 82 and 90 as failures :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Warner is due a score as well - dangerous when he gets the eye back in, as he will sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Warner is due a score as well - dangerous when he gets the eye back in, as he will sooner or later.

I think Warner will get a few, probably quickly. Was amazed today when they put up the stats during the sky coverage, he is 79/8 average 9.87 which I knew, but high score 61, means in the other 7 innings he 18/7, average 2.6 I knew he was out of form, but couldn't you score more than 18 in 7 goes by accident?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Strange day yesterday. What on earth Paine was thinking putting England in to bat was beyond me. If they batted first and scored 450+ they wouldn't have lost the game.

Now they'll be batting last on a dry wicket although i don't rate leach as a bowler.

I think England will get to 310 odd and Australia will be there or thereabouts(Maybe 350). Today/Tomorrow look best time to bat and the forecast in Kennington for today/tomorrow to be warm and sunny.

Happy for Mitchell Marsh, career best figures and his first 5 wicket haul.

• Advertisement

I think Australia could get any score they want in this innings, if Warner and Harris can get settled in, they can score big, and thats before Labuschagne and Smith get in

Advertisement