Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Made the mistake of taking the Galway city “bus tour”, highlights include NUI Galway and the IDA campus.

Oh and there was some gaudy “artwork” in some randomer’s garden.

Other than that it’s a nice spot to sink a “few” pints.

Haha that sounds dreadful, I saw of those in Killarney as well, not much around the town to see on one of those buses, they'd have to go out to muckross.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's a kip.

Full of shams dressed in trilby hats and second hand clothes competing with each other to see who can make a pint of Guinness last the longest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Galway is a nice place to head to for a couple of days. We don't mind if it's raining, it's the default weather in Ireland so a few showers should kinda be expected really. A half decent rain jacket and you're sorted for the day.

We normally head up there for a few days every year, a few friends from college and a few sights to see with no pressure. Always found the staff in the shops and bars very courteous even when under pressure during race week or holiday weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Arghus wrote: »
    Aongus, I don't believe a single word, but I admire your style.

Surely nobody believes him? :D That’s part of the fun.

I’m pretty sure there’s one person behind a number of blatant parody accounts on this site.
    Jesus you really haven't been here since the 90s!! The 'West Side' is around Corrib Park, Innishannagh, Rahoon etc, not sure youve ever been in the city if I'm honest, you don't seem to know your onions at all.

The reference to helicopters at the races was pretty dated too. It’s an obvious pisstake account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Thanks for the lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Did you get to see the diving board in Salthill?

Haha, of course! I do like Salthill, the aquarium, while small, is well worth a visit.

Part of the “bus tour” took us up “Threadneedle Road” and we were told it was the most expensive street in Galway, which we thought was great as that’s where we were staying.

I think the only real downside would be the sheer number of “crusties”, “wastrels”, “layabouts” and, worst of all, “trustafarians” populating the streets and main square. If you’re not careful walking home you could end up in a never ending “drum circle”. If you can get past the smell, that is.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Jesus, you're reeling them in today AvB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

We're an Atlantic seaside city, of course we get rain, just nothing above average for where we are. Especially so in recent years. Of all the things to give out about in Galway the weather should be the least of the issues/gripes. No proper concert venue, traffic, poor planning, bandwagon central in sport.

Its all relative but for those of us living on the east coast we get almost half as much rain as what Galway gets, Met Eireanns own stats back this up.Dublin is the driest place in all of Ireland with around 120 days of rain, Galway has almost double this with 220.

Plenty of days last summer I can remember 25 degrees in both Dublin and in Galway but it was pissing down in Galway while rain free in Dublin. These are the disadvantages of living next to an ocean with big fcuk off rain clouds being blown your way by the prevailing winds. The west coasts job is to break up these clouds so us on the eastside can stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Another Galwegian here. I absolutely despise the races. We always went on holidays this week as children.

More and more galway people I meet now seem to have an equal hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Don't bother trying to cycle there either.

Or step foot in Eyre Square anytime after midnight as you'll be liable to get the living sh1te bet out of you.

That’s BS. It’s far safer than the majority of Dublin and Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Do Galway people say "happy out" a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Did you get to see the diving board in Salthill?

And the Crazy Golf courses are the envy of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

East coaster here. I love Galway for a few days every year. Went once in race week, never again. Used to drive there, but i don’t now if I can help it, the traffic is unbelievable, but what else can you expect when you have a motorway to the doorstep - and end it there. But for an oldie like me, the train station is great, even if services are very limited, and the ‘last’ train to Dublin is...........19.20.
    McDonaghs is overrated, as is ‘Latin Quarter’. But I really like the city, and the walks are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm sure they do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That and 'happy days', both equally annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"Happa out".

Genuinely don't understand the anitpathy towards Race Week. But as I type these words I have remembered an old submission to a poetry magazine about the event. Oh well since you've asked I'll dig it out from my Gmail later.

An Old Story about Galway Race Week

(i)
    Race Weak. We love Galway in the rain stop Galway has the most provincial rain; We sons of dealers, we judges' nephews. Every man loves Galway heavy and deep and wet we think!
    This rain is like a teaser pony; his rasp is sharp I am sure his soil is stony.
    Keep on, keep strong, turn up home now, have you the key, the Molly?
    Not now you bitch I must write this down.
    Spray, stop, go stop Galway rain, you know me, no stop me.
    It is only an image you will see of me Stop. Me.

(ii)
    Rain. Warm-imbued with bog -- deserted-mother's-epilogue-kind-of-downpour. It knocks the cathedral-prison like a cannon bone. A cannon bone that we have cast in stone and cast by every blacker widow, our face between the prison and the pillow. I wish we had shawls.
    Spire of ire, so grim and gaunt a willow! only this time from a blacker one: o would she had set it all on fire, she should have had it all undone, blue bitch, Mother of Christ and him gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Genuinely don't understand the anitpathy towards Race Week. But as I type these words I have remembered an old submission to a poetry magazine about the event. Oh well since you've asked I'll dig it out from my Gmail later.

If you ever had to live through it on a regular basis for a few years, you'd understand trust me.

If you ever had to live through it on a regular basis for a few years, you'd understand trust me.

I have spent more years at Galway Race Week than I haven't. Plenty of issues to contend with,for sure. Not the rain. Nor perhaps the massive economic stimulus, much of it in cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

As far as I'm aware the Dublin one includes the prison and the cemetery.. which are hotspots in Dublin, probably just a good way to get to know a city.

You mean kilmainham gaol and glasnevin cemetery? Two sites that are pretty central to modern Irish history.

You actually can't book a tour of kilmainham for weeks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I have spent more years at Galway Race Week than I haven't. Plenty of issues to contend with,for sure. Not the rain. Nor perhaps the massive economic stimulus, much of it in cash.

No, I mean just being a regular resident and having to be in the city center for work or college and having to slalom past any amount of throngs of obnoxious drunk idiots, male and female, in their Sunday best and trying to avoid pools of vomit and urine in the process.

When it was RAG week I could at least put it down to kids letting off steam but this is grown adults we're talking about here.

The pimps do make a killing alright though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Sorry for the delay in responding; I was at work and don't have the luxury of faffing about on the Internet waiting for 'going home time'.

I made quite a bit of money in late 2017 selling bitcoins as part of a group who had only paid a fraction of what we sold them for. I'm extremely well paid anyway, so decided I'd use the money to purchase a holiday home in Ireland. I had no hesitation in choosing Cork over Galway. The city has better transport links; the people are friendlier (even though I try to keep overly long conversations to a minimum as the accent does tend to irritate after a while), and the scenery is less desolate than Connemara or the Burren. There's also some decent golf courses in the area.

If I had had bought in Galway then I'd have had to deal with more rain, the locals going on about how remarkable it is to live in their parochial backwater of a city, and worst of all, the possibility of my brother calling out to my place on a Monday evening with a 'huge bag of cans and the makings of a few'. :(

As for my 10k time - it was 40:06. Thanks for asking.

Thanks for sharing, you've never shared the fact that you made enough money on bitcoin to buy a holiday home in SW cork and 10 years membership of Irelands top golf club.

And yes, apart from that you are EXTREMELY well paid .... jesus get a life!!!

Now excuse me, I need to clock in at my $12.50 an hour job, my super is gonna be pissed im late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Yes, I'm from County Galway. I got enough points that I didn't need to go to university there though, so I'm not quite as familiar with the place as I could be. Maybe there are more than 6 pubs over that side of the river, but few of them are very memorable. There's a better atmosphere in a mortuary than there is in Massimos. The 'West Side' is a ridiculous name for the place - it drums up visions of some Galway version of Leonard Cohen reading poetry in a coffee shop, when the reality tends to be a load of men in Crosshatch jeans and Superdry jackets standing outside pub doors pulling on fags.

Its not westside or even the west end. Its the wesht. And if you are in a pub there, then you are down the wesht.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Whats not to love traffic, rain and expensive houses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The Blue Note opened in 1994 when everyone was looking in the other direction. At this stage, a generation of Galway’s most creative and passionate DJ’s, dancers, musicians, poets, ravers and rogues have passed through the Golden Gates. Some never left. Always changing, The Boozer is as different now from that opening night, as it is from three years ago, yet somehow still the same.

ha ha :D ludicrous!
    We'll have to put that one down to Drawings from Stock.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Race Week appears to be a bigger deal to non Galwegians than the locals who view it as an inconvenience at best.

Most Galwegians don't make that big a deal about raceweek and its usually hyped up by those coming from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Galway born and bred myself but I'd have to agree about the city being talked up a lot more than what is on offer in reality.

The traffic is chronic every single day, the prices being charged for rent is just criminal and the public transport system is totally inadequate.

If the medical device factories ever decided to up sticks the place would be fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

The traffic is chronic every single day, the prices being charged for rent is just criminal and the public transport system is totally inadequate.

Sounds like the problems of a successful city bursting at the seems.

I'm a big fan of Galway - pubs, people, shops, hotels, promenade, cultural things on, Irish blas around the place. It's one of the few places in Ireland where there's plenty to do when it's raining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Shop Street is great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement