Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

cgcsb wrote: »
    I loved how you were doing your worst in terms of negativity, but then had to relent when it came to restaurants. :D

Maybe get out for some fresh air and perspective. It doesn't have to be negative all the time. People talking trash in the paper about the 'west end' is a global phenomenon, led by estate agents and the like. You had the 'central park' thing in suburban Sandyford a few years ago. In Belfast 'Tribeca' is the new loan word from NYC.

In France pretty much every town has a similar view of self.

Galway is a city though and should be judged on those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

It's a great drinking city. That's about the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Galway is a city though and should be judged on those terms.

In Lyon the native french population genuinely believe they have the world's best cuisine. A few stringy bland stews later you'll realise the best food to be found there is in the french-arab kebab shops, and even then you'd be better off going to zaytoons. The same attitude is pervasive in all French towns and cities. In Paris the native French consider themselves the most enlightened people of the world, despite being DOG ignorant on most issues.

Berserker wrote: »
    Northern Italy is like that also. Wild horses would drag be back to Milan.

I'd go through Milan again, in a heavily armored vehicle with a surface to air missle launcher mounted on top, that'd be about the extent of it.

People in Ireland who don't travel genuinely haven't a clue how good they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'd go through Milan again, in a heavily armored vehicle with a surface to air missle launcher mounted on top, that'd be about the extent of it.

People in Ireland who don't travel genuinely haven't a clue how good they have it.

I haven't been to Milan but heard similar. I have however spent a week in Tuscany, now that's a place with culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hark! The final judgement has been passed.

Lovely feed whenever I stop in.

I was disappointed when I went there for the first time. Very greasy chips. I know people might say “Well duh, it’s a chipper, of course it’s greasy” but if the oil is the right temperature, the chips won’t be impregnated with grease. By that stage of my life, I guess I’d had better fish and chips than McDonagh’s.

On Galway city overall... it’s grand. I don’t get the fuss really. Though it is near some gorgeous scenic areas so that’s a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's grand if you're a student or just out on a weekend lash.

But, I'd be bored stupid if I had to live there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Marry me, Aonghus

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway doesn't need a racing festival to go on and on about how fecking great we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I was done there last week for a few days before the race week madness, Is it just me that thinks Galway City is full of nutters...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's a great drinking city. That's about the size of it.

Well a lot of drinking goes on there, if that is what you are implying.
    There are not many nice pubs. I'd struggle to recommend 3.

The city is chiefly a focal point around which young hippy types assemble. To them, cultural thirst is often satisfied by merely dyeing their hair blue and piercing their nose whilst watching a parade of papier-mache heads go by. There is little enough for normal people.

And the traffic is cat. Even on foot, there are blockages to negotiate as some trust fund wannabe circus kid draws a circle of time-rich spectators.

I can't imagine there will be many hippy types going to the races. Not their scene.
    They'd be in the pubs on Dominic Street complaining about the yahoos uptown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Does anywhere else in Ireland (or indeed Europe) have locals with such an inflated sense of importance about where they are from? I think the incessant rain and damp is doing something to their brains to be honest.

Oddly most of the race goers are not local.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glebee wrote: »
    I was done there last week for a few days before the race week madness, Is it just me that thinks Galway City is full of nutters...
    That depends, do you mean "nutters" as a good or bad thing? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Galway was voted best city on the island on this very forum so that's where the smugness started https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056197193

NUIG ranked 259th in the world last year or third in Ireland after Trinity and UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I enjoyed Milan. Wouldn't move there but liked a lot about it.
    They've a decent park in City centre with beautiful mature trees which is just a tad ahead of Eyre Square ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Is this person a fairy form Galway?

Presumably the gugai referred to is yer man who was (is?) in charge of the roisin dubh. A pub in the west end providing all the "craic" he's referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I was reading the Irish papers this morning after my 10k run,

Thinly veiled I can run 10km thread.

Anyway Galway is a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Don't bother trying to cycle there either.

Or step foot in Eyre Square anytime after midnight as you'll be liable to get the living sh1te bet out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thinly veiled I can run 10km thread.

Anyway Galway is a great place.

Kilo-metre or kilom-meter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Love when someone opens a thread to moan and then fecks off.
    Galway for what it is and it's size is a nice little city.
    Sure there are places much better than it but it's got quite a lot going for it.
    I'd sooner be there then some ****ty little German town ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The reference in the OP to the helicopter fleets at the races made me feel like we were in a time warp or something. Not very zeitgeisty, AvB!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don't bother trying to cycle there either.

Or step foot in Eyre Square anytime after midnight as you'll be liable to get the living sh1te bet out of you.

I've set foot in Eyre Square after midnight about a thousand times and I've never had the living sh1te beat out of me.

Arghus wrote: »
    I've set foot in Eyre Square after midnight about a thousand times and I've never had the living sh1te beat out of me.

So it's you doing the beating up then is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Like Galway well enough, very relaxed place in a lot of ways, very different to other Irish cities. The one thing about it, the traffic is just chronic there. The outer bypass is really badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Arghus wrote: »

This.

Galway if safer than any other city or town even I've been out in in Ireland.

This.

Galway if safer than any other city or town even I've been out in in Ireland.

Yeah. The thugs there chat about what sort of a night you're having, ask where you're going to and tell you about someplace there's a late trade session going to be on in and walk you there if you don't know where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nice but overrated. Theres so many better towns and small cities throughout europe that blow galway out of the water.Do like going to visit it though

If you think Eyre Square is dangerous I mean you might as well just stay in your locked house and bubble wrap all the corners. Even by North European standards it's extremely safe. It'd be in the same crime rate category as ethnically homogeneous Swedish towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah. The thugs there chat about what sort of a night you're having, ask where you're going to and tell you about someplace there's a late trade session going to be on in and walk you there if you don't know where it is.

Ah, of course Galway isn't a constant haven of peace and tranquility and, yes, you might see things kicking off in Eyre Square at the end of the night, but it's not some no go area that you enter at your own risk. People who think it's mad dangerous must honestly never leave their house.

And people fighting and scrapping down The West End - not a fan of calling it that myself - is a pretty rare occurance.

In general Galway is a very safe and welcoming place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement