Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Diseased toe

Has anyone used a Swytch ebike conversion kit?

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/6026/swytch-universal-ebike-conversion-kit-review

Thinking about converting a Thompson Hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Has anyone used a Swytch ebike conversion kit?

I signed up for the discount in the next batch. I don't know if I'll buy one yet, came on here to check if anyone had an opinion.

mrroboito wrote: »
    I signed up for the discount in the next batch. I don't know if I'll buy one yet, came on here to check if anyone had an opinion.

Same here, mixed reports and I'm not sure it will work with hydraulic disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What's the interest in this kit? It seems very expensive for what is basically a kit built around a $70 motor.

Oh wait that link that you posted mentions GBP549. But if you look at their indiegogo site, the base kit is EUR449 including a battery. Which is not too bad, although I converted my first bike for less than half that money, I think I spent EUR195 in total.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Oh wait that link that you posted mentions GBP549. But if you look at their indiegogo site, the base kit is EUR449 including a battery. Which is not too bad, although I converted my first bike for less than half that money, I think I spent EUR195 in total.

I guess for a newbie it seems to be an easy install. Have looked at the other front hub kits and it all seems a bit daunting tbh.

Yeah, I did use a kit, so everything was click and play but it was throttle based, not PAS (so not road legal as a pedelec). And I had to fabricate the connection between battery and controller. I guess you pay a few hundred quid extra for the slickness of the kit and for tech support if you need it.

Yeah, I did use a kit, so everything was click and play but it was throttle based, not PAS (so not road legal as a pedelec). And I had to fabricate the connection between battery and controller. I guess you pay a few hundred quid extra for the slickness of the kit and for tech support if you need it.

Would you recommend using a front hub kit?

These guys have two new kits about to release

An ECO kit battery capacity of 5.2Ah (187Wh) and an expected range of 35km on medium power.

A PRO kit battery capacity of 7Ah (252Wh) and an expected range of 50km on medium power.

Front wheel kit, why not. Easier to install and for a low power 250W pedelec road legal kit it matters very little where the power is coming from.

Their lower capacity kits are much better value for money. They make more margin / profit on the higher capacity kits (cost €20 more in batteries, sell for €100 more, you get the idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

I recently built a bike for my Dad, from his current bike. I bought a legal 250w 36v motor and I have to say, even for myself, it more than fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Anyone any recommendations for a front wheel hub kit?
    I found an Imortor 3.0 kit.
    Just looking for a cheap and reliable kit that I can fit to an old mountain bike.
    I don't mind a bit of DIY to install it, but want something that's going to be easy enough to use for a novice cyclist.

Anyone any recommendations for a front wheel hub kit?
    I found an Imortor 3.0 kit.
    Just looking for a cheap and reliable kit that I can fit to an old mountain bike.
    I don't mind a bit of DIY to install it, but want something that's going to be easy enough to use for a novice cyclist.

I did a full DIY build for my Dad's bike, with all parts bought on AliExpress. Since I had a 28" x 1.25" front wheel, I couldn't find a supplier doing built wheels so I bought a hub (250w @ 36v) and then Joe Daly's in Dundrum provided the rim (40), the correct length spokes (40), and laced the wheel (40). So I got the wheel I needed but was obviously over 200 just for it. All other parts were pretty cheap.

Very enjoyable project

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

So I've been using my Bafang BBS02 for a few months now, I love it.

With PAS limited to 25kph I get about 100km range from my 17.5ah, I have never ran it to empty. Basically on the flat the motor pulls very few Watts as I make my way under mostly my own steam. The motor kicks in on starting off and pulls me up hills.

Recently it started to get a little noisy so I greased it as in the below video:

Its very quiet now, there was not much grease in it when I opened it up.

If anyone is getting this motor they should just do the greasing immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Hi guys, I've read about half of this thread so far. Good info and very interesting.

I've an old 28" wheel Giant hybrid here I'm thinking of putting a front hub and small battery on.

Anyone recommend a bargain kit? I see Unkel got a 36v 500w kit for £139 but I can't seem to find anything cheap as that. Don't want to get hit with customs either.

Could I just buy the hub/controller/thumb throttle and battery separately and save a few quid? I've a great local bike shop that could build the hub into a wheel for me.

Front hub-
    € 68,92 21%OFF | Electric Bicycle MTB Brushless Non-gear Hub Motor Front Rear 36V 48V 250W 350W 500W 1000W 1500w Electric bike e bike
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKhGKJ9

Controller:-
    € 11,08 25%OFF | 36V/48V 350W Electric Bicycle Controller/ebike controller for e-bike scooter dual mode brushless hall sensor/sensorless
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOwQGO3

deadlast wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've read about half of this thread so far. Good info and very interesting.

I've an old 28" wheel Giant hybrid here I'm thinking of putting a front hub and small battery on.

Anyone recommend a bargain kit? I see Unkel got a 36v 500w kit for £139 but I can't seem to find anything cheap as that. Don't want to get hit with customs either.

a 28 inch wheel will put a lot of stress on a little 500 watt motor because the larger the wheel diameter.

Larger wheel diameter the less torque you get the harder the motor has to work.

The smaller the diameter the more torque you get and the less stress on the motor.

You'd be better off going with a chain drive if you can. A BBS02 750 watt motor would be ideal and youc an use the bikes gearing for much better efficiency.

Maybe someone here can recommend a European supplier.

Kit's including 28" wheels all appear to have 1.75" width rims, so I went the full DIY route to build a bike for my Dad. So I bought a hub via AliExpress and Joe Daly's in Dundrum provided the rim, spokes and laced it. Each of those three bits were about €40 each, so the wheel alone therefore cost me over €200. The cheap kits all seem to be with wide 26" or smaller wheels.

The hub got through without being intercepted. Mind you, almost everything that comes through is marked well down in value, and alot mis-identified too.

I made my own battery pack and so bought the batteries, case, controller & case, throttle, PAS, and brakes all via separate sellers on AliExpress.

Similar to championc, but the hub motor I ordered did get intercepted so I ended up paying 23% VAT over it and also the admin charge of the courier of about €14 iirc

If you buy the parts separately, you can get much better deals. But it does mean you have to figure out how it all works and you might have to fabricate your own connections

If you go for a complete kit, you pay more, but it's all click and play. Very easy to assemble. Might be the way to go if it's your first kit and you're not particularly handy...

Thanks guys for the replies.

Two kits jumping out at me so far. I'll only be using it for the canal Greenway and around the town. If they ever finish the clonsilla section, it can be a winter hack for a bit of scenic commuting.

€235. 36v 250w. From Netherlands.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223560744662

€225 36. 250w. From Poland.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303200166356

What are those battery connections on those controllers called?

Thanks guys for the replies.

Two kits jumping out at me so far. I'll only be using it for the canal Greenway and around the town. If they ever finish the clonsilla section, it can be a winter hack for a bit of scenic commuting.

€235. 36v 250w. From Netherlands.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223560744662

€225 36. 250w. From Poland.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303200166356

What are those battery connections on those controllers called?

I can't tell if the motor is a geared hub or not, you need a geared hub for some better torque, that motor is not going to produce much power either way, if you intend to climb hills you'd be far better off getting a chain drive system, pay a bit more and you will be glad. If it were Me I wouldn't go with this motor but I would go for a stronger one in the rear which is going to be hard to find a good higher power geared hub in Europe.

Or just get a Bafang BBS02 I think it's called, 750 Watt motor. I can't recommend a E.U supplier because I don't know any. I'm long out of the ebike building game.

• Advertisement

I can't tell if the motor is a geared hub or not, you need a geared hub for some better torque, that motor is not going to produce much power either way, if you intend to climb hills you'd be far better off getting a chain drive system, pay a bit more and you will be glad. If it were Me I wouldn't go with this motor but I would go for a stronger one in the rear which is going to be hard to find a good higher power geared hub in Europe.

Or just get a Bafang BBS02 I think it's called, 750 Watt motor. I can't recommend a E.U supplier because I don't know any. I'm long out of the ebike building game.

Would a 36v 250w not be ok for canal bank cycling ? That was the motor I build for my Dad and I could easily go up to 30kmph on the flat, so I actually had to short the pins on the 3 speed control to slow it down for him

+1

@Mad_Lad - not everyone who wants an electric bike wants to do 50km/h on it or for it to propel you up a mountain at ludicrous speeds. That's mainly just for maniacs like you and me ;)

Most other people looking for advice just want some electric assistance and the kits in the last few posts are pretty much perfect for that.

+1

@Mad_Lad - not everyone who wants an electric bike wants to do 50km/h on it or for it to propel you up a mountain at ludicrous speeds. That's mainly just for maniacs like you and me ;)

Most other people looking for advice just want some electric assistance and the kits in the last few posts are pretty much perfect for that.

LOl. well, I suppose I just can't imagine what a bike with such little power feels like.

However, depends on how much power is actually getting to the motor, has to be a proper balance because the motor is a little bit small for a 28 inch wheel and feeding it too much power will heat it fast but on flat ground it will probably be ok.

championc wrote: »
    Would a 36v 250w not be ok for canal bank cycling ? That was the motor I build for my Dad and I could easily go up to 30kmph on the flat, so I actually had to short the pins on the 3 speed control to slow it down for him

For flat ground it's probably ok, would be interesting to know if it's a geared hub because they offer better torque and also freewheel making it much easy to pedal without power.

Probably more than 250 watts getting to the motor anyway truth be told.

@Mad_Lad,. I'll email them and ask if it's a geared hub. Thanks.

EDIT:-. They said "it is brushless gear motor."

@Champioc, what battery did you get for your dad's bike and what kind of range is it getting?

My commute is only 20km and I can charge in work. It'll be down to 16km if they ever finish the canal path.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

@Champioc, what battery did you get for your dad's bike and what kind of range is it getting?

My commute is only 20km and I can charge in work. It'll be down to 16km if they ever finish the canal path.

If that 20km is on the flat then you`re good to go - hubs don`t like steep hills all that well.

Geared hub is better, at least it should be a lot easier to pedal without motor power.

loughside wrote: »
    If that 20km is on the flat then you`re good to go - hubs don`t like steep hills all that well.

Hubs are fine on hills as long as you got the right motor for the job, i.e large enough to dissipate the heat and the right winding, for torque or speed, torque is better for hills at the expense of top speed, but the idea it to use higher voltage to gain back more speed and will also help to climb at faster speeds.

Hubs will climb anything as long as you have the right setup for the job but crank drives are the best on the steepest of stuff with lower powered motors.

If you're going with insane climbs then a motor in a 16 inch wheel is better, less stress on the motor.

In these extreme climbs you risk breaking chains with chain drive setups.

No doubt though that the chain drive is much more efficient on the steep stuff due to the motors ability to use the bikes gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Had a Samebike M-9 for the last few months, really recommend one. Paid €799 for it. Had the 500w version and did around 700km on it during the lockdown. Helped pass the time for sure. Max speed on was 37km/h with throttle only (although the speedo was saying 40km/h). That was on private land as a mate has a farm near me. At that speed pedaling along was pointless though but I seen one video where a guy had increased the main cog to a 55 tooth one and they could get 50km/h then.

That was my first bike with a thumb throttle and I much preferred it over the twist throttle on the Fiido D2S. It's so much easier to use and much less strain.

Here's a decent review of the bike (but you'll have to switch on subtitles unless you speak Italiano):

The only adjustment I made to the bike was that I bought a height adjustment thingamajig as the handlebars I felt were much too low and made the ride uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

Must produce at least 1000W for it to do 50km/h unless that guy in the video was very light. A lot of eBike for the money, any link to where you bought it? Might help some people.

Advertisement