Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Surely IW simply cannot continue to pretend that they actually believe this plan can work?

They really need to start being honest with themselves and with their customers and admit that an apartheid system of running their business cannot work. Waiting 'till 2021 when the excessive usage fines are posted out will only add more expense and create chaos - as happened before with IW. They will end up having to return any fines (possibly with interest) to those who were daft enough to have paid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how do i check if my house is metered?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't pay them the first time out.. mainly for the same reason here - why should I when others weren't - and I objected to the bullying tactics and arrogance from FG around it (including the misuse of AGS resources to enforce metering installations), especially given the whole shady deals and cronyism involved in the setup. So instead I decided to just wait and see until the dust settled.

As I said previously in this thread, it certainly seems to me that they're trying another run at this, despite the same issues as last time. I'll be adopting the same approach and I imagine if they push too hard then people will be out on the streets again before long.

The huge problem IW have to face is that nearly half of their customers don't have meters (and apparently never will). Some don't have them because they prevented installation, others don't have them because IW stopped installations before all houses were metered. So in many cases, people who were willing to have a meter, didn't get one because IW took their ball and walked off the pitch!

Now they've reappeared with the ball under their arm. But everyone's (including the ref) has gone home. The game's over and they just can't seem to accept that the best thing for them to do now is have an early shower and find another project.

The game's over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Benedict wrote: »
    There are laws in this country against blatant discrimination. If a Garda says "You there in Yaris were speeding, here's a ticket" but "You there in the Golf, people in Golf's can speed all they want so off you go".
    IW are saying - if you have a meter, you can only use so much but if you don't have a meter, you can use what you like.

They think they'll get away with this because the "hard men" will be happy (paying nothing) and the "middle-class softies" who allowed installation will be too polite to object.

Pretty much what will happen tbh.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Didn't pay them the first time out.. mainly for the same reason here - why should I when others weren't - and I objected to the bullying tactics and arrogance from FG around it (including the misuse of AGS resources to enforce metering installations), especially given the whole shady deals and cronyism involved in the setup. So instead I decided to just wait and see until the dust settled.

As I said previously in this thread, it certainly seems to me that they're trying another run at this, despite the same issues as last time. I'll be adopting the same approach and I imagine if they push too hard then people will be out on the streets again before long.

Middle Ireland doesn't go to the streets in fear of been viewed in the same light as the working classes.

IW didn't even attempt to install water meters in our estate because they know how it would have ended but they rolled into middle class areas and where offered cups of tea.

FG have no respect for middle of working classes and until middle Ireland starts to stand up for themselves they will continue to get screwed

GreeBo wrote: »
    You seem to be missing the fact that water is both a service and a resource.
    Pay for it as you do gas, petrol, diesel and electricity.

Dont blame cronyism for you not paying your way.

We already pay for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

So we will see a bigger rise is meters been removed due to health and safety and a plastic plug fitted in its place again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

FG have no respect for middle of working classes and until middle Ireland starts to stand up for themselves they will continue to get screwed

Which political party should those people vote for then?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Which political party should those people vote for then?

That's up to every person who is registered to vote. I'll never vote FFG again and I will be holding my nose and voting SF next time around. Yes they may make a balls of it and I disagree with many of their policies but I'll give them the chance to prove me wrong. Voting FFG is a fruitless excerise in stupidity.

• Advertisement

People think the "free allowance" is going to be generous. 213,000 litres a year for 4 people. 1 power shower per day for all four people will already mean you'll probably be paying the maximum of 500 Euro per year - and that's before you make a cup of tea or wash a plate.

But wait! That's only if you've got a meter!

No meter? Then not a bother. Stay all day in the power shower (and invite your friends in to have one too) and it won't cost you a cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

But wait! That's only if you've got a meter!

No meter? Then not a bother. Stay all day in the power shower (and invite your friends in to have one too) and it won't cost you a cent!

What is your shower capacity for the party shower:eek::eek::D

Make no mistake, unless people use a stopwatch while in the shower, they'll be in the "excessive usage" bracket very quickly - and the E500 penalty will soon become E750 - then 1k.

I can see a situation where people will be going to non-metered houses to wash their cars and do their weekly clothes-wash. If you live next door to a non-metered house, you can connect your hose-sprinkler to their garden tap (when they've done all their own sprinkling).

If you live in a non-metered home on a road where most are metered, you'll have lots of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Make no mistake, unless people use a stopwatch while in the shower, they'll be in the "excessive usage" bracket very quickly - and the E500 penalty will soon become E750 - then 1k.

I can see a situation where people will be going to non-metered houses to wash their cars and do their weekly clothes-wash. If you live next door to a non-metered house, you can connect your hose-sprinkler to their garden tap (when they've done all their own sprinkling).

If you live in a non-metered home on a road where most are metered, you'll have lots of friends.

How's this going to work in an apartment building with one meter? I'm barely in my flat, so if the moochers that are in the house all day are taking showers for sport and the landlord has a whip-round, am I obliged to pay for the excessive usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lookit...don’t panic... this total shambles will never reach maturity.

No way Middle Ireland will be stiffed again.

Meter all, or take a hike, up to you.

Don't worry, if you're in an apartment you can use as much as you like without worrying about being fined. Apartments are allowed to waste water without penalty. People in houses with no meters are also allowed to waste water without penalty.
    Only those living in metered houses are not allowed to waste water - that's why they'll be fined if they do so.

Don't worry, if you're in an apartment you can use as much as you like without worrying about being fined. Apartments are allowed to waste water without penalty. People in houses with no meters are also allowed to waste water without penalty.
    Only those living in metered houses are not allowed to waste water - that's why they'll be fined if they do so.

Sure they will,but like a great percentage of fines, these won’t be paid.

Middle Ireland won’t be stiffed again.

# Don’t take Middle Ireland for stiffs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how do i check if my house is metered?
    can anyone answer this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

can anyone answer this?

Do you know where the supply enters your property line. The stop cock/ meter should be on the public side of your boundary under a lid.

Lookit...don’t panic... this total shambles will never reach maturity.

No way Middle Ireland will be stiffed again.

Meter all, or take a hike, up to you.

Middle Ireland will do as they always do and take it in the arse for fear of being viewed as trouble makers. They should have taken a stand when they had the chance but instead offered cups of tea to IW workers.

• Advertisement

Middle Ireland will do as they always do and take it in the arse for fear of being viewed as trouble makers. They should have taken a stand when they had the chance but instead offered cups of tea to IW workers.

That’s really nothing to do with anything.

That’s history,dude, they can see they were stiffed, they won’t be stiffed by this kind of rubbish, there are more ways to make your views clear other than shouting through bullhorns and using thugs to promote your cause.

The media is still refusing to face the facts. I have just heard a well known person on the radio that "people" would have to pay for excessive usage. Not true. "People" who have a meter and who don't live in an apartment will have to pay. That's around half the country!

Not "people", "some people". I repeat "SOME people" Got it? SOME PEOPLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The media is still refusing to face the facts. I have just heard a well known person on the radio that "people" would have to pay for excessive usage. Not true. "People" who have a meter and who don't live in an apartment will have to pay. That's around half the country!

Not "people", "some people". I repeat "SOME people" Got it? SOME PEOPLE.

Might say my life is in a rut...

It'll not happen. To paraphrase my good pal Bren, it'll need be everyone or no one otherwise neither side of the debate will wear it.

Might say my life is in a rut...

It'll not happen. To paraphrase my good pal Bren, it'll need be everyone or no one otherwise neither side of the debate will wear it.

:eek:

Only kidding!

Correct and right, everyone or no-one.

Cast iron. Won’t be stiffed again.

I think they must realise that they've made a complete mess of things - that's why they've given themselves plenty of time before sending out bills. Right now, they're 'round a table trying to figure out how to get the money rolling in. But they have made it really difficult for themselves. They thought the plan was clever - the hard-men would be happy (because they wouldn't have to pay) and the middle-class white collar workers would be too embarrassed to go to court so they'd pay up. But they forgot that even middle-class people can get their backs up when they're being made fools of. Remember that if the current plan goes ahead, a 4-bed luxury penthouse apartment in Dublin 4 with 4 en-suites & power-showers won't have a quota while a 2 bed terrace (1 bathroom) in a working class area will have a quota imposed.

It's completely insane!

I think they must realise that they've made a complete mess of things - that's why they've given themselves plenty of time before sending out bills. Right now, they're 'round a table trying to figure out how to get the money rolling in. But they have made it really difficult for themselves. They thought the plan was clever - the hard-men would be happy (because they wouldn't have to pay) and the middle-class white collar workers would be too embarrassed to go to court so they'd pay up. But they forgot that even middle-class people can get their backs up when they're being made fools of. Remember that if the current plan goes ahead, a 4-bed luxury penthouse apartment in Dublin 4 with 4 en-suites & power-showers won't have a quota while a 2 bed terrace (1 bathroom) in a working class area will have a quota imposed.

It's completely insane!

Middle Ireland won’t be stiffed twice, make no mistake about that.

They saw what happened in Jobstown........::D

That’s really nothing to do with anything.

That’s history,dude, they can see they were stiffed, they won’t be stiffed by this kind of rubbish, there are more ways to make your views clear other than shouting through bullhorns and using thugs to promote your cause.

IW know middle Ireland don't stand up for themselves. Mark my words they'll end up paying. #nobackbone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

IW know middle Ireland don't stand up for themselves. Mark my words they'll end up paying. #nobackbone

Correct.

IW stiffed MI once, they won’t stiff them twice.

Mark. My. Words.

• Advertisement

IW stiffed MI once, they won’t stiff them twice.

Mark. My. Words.

Unless middle Ireland grows a backbone nothing will change.

Advertisement