Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It didn't happen today though.

Ah good the thread was most fortunate for you so. Never waste a good story . ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Ah good the thread was most fortunate for you so. Never waste a good story . ;-)

Have you nothing of note to add to the actual topic at all?

Feck off replying to me with those silly smiley things too.

Cheers.

I added plenty.

I find your story amusing and I just wanted to show my good humour at what I believe was an entertaining tale.
    Cheers.

Your welcome. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Cheers.

Tommy, some folk just can’t take the truth, all they want is to see the taxpayer screwed.

Please stay on the case and continue to tell it as it is.

I can see Middle Ireland exploding if people as you described are tolerated.

Govt. are you listening, because if you are not.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    A lot of local authorities carried out repairs prior to Irish Water and are continuing to do so. Where Local Authorities used contractors, Irish Water are using contractors

Local authorities ideas of repairing leaks was to repair a leak on a rotten pipe and leave it at that. It's called kicking the can down the road. The rotton pipes should have been repalaced 30 years ago.

Local authorities never had private contractors in to carry out work to the scale of work that's going on now. There's massive lead replacement projects going on around the country now.

If you had a leak on the external mains pipe that supplies your home and it was inside your boundary wall the CC would tell you to fck off and repair it yourself. IW will repair it for free.

CC's are telling people to contact IW when they report known leaks everyday.

Your tax money is paying these CC workers. Remember that.
    Irish Water are replacing approximately one half of one per cent of the water network in Ireland annually which is slightly more than the LA's were doing in 2008 before the Celtic Tiger died. Their ambition is to replace 1 % of the network annually if they can get sufficient funding. In the meantime, all they can do is arrange to have the rotten pipes fixed and kick the can down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Alan Dukes (FG) got it spot on when he said those immortal words in 2014...

"A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water, we've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

Irish Water are replacing approximately one half of one per cent of the water network in Ireland annually which is slightly more than the LA's were doing in 2008 before the Celtic Tiger died. Their ambition is to replace 1 % of the network annually if they can get sufficient funding. In the meantime, all they can do is arrange to have the rotten pipes fixed and kick the can down the road.

Do me favour and look at the projects section on their site. Then drive to and see the work being carried out on said projects. Lead pipe replacement is not a kicking a can down the road job. You'll see that yourself. There's streets, towns & main roads like that of Craughwell to Loughrea being dug up the length & breath of the country.

Same lead pipes should have been replaced 40 years ago.

A lot of local authorities carried out repairs prior to Irish Water and are continuing to do so. Where Local Authorities used contractors, Irish Water are using contractors

Local authorities ideas of repairing leaks was to repair a leak on a rotten pipe and leave it at that. It's called kicking the can down the road. The rotton pipes should have been repalaced 30 years ago.

Local authorities never had private contractors in to carry out work to the scale of work that's going on now. There's massive lead replacement projects going on around the country now.

If you had a leak on the external mains pipe that supplies your home and it was inside your boundary wall the CC would tell you to fck off and repair it yourself. IW will repair it for free.

CC's are telling people to contact IW when they report known leaks everyday.

Your tax money is paying these CC workers. Remember that.
    In relation to the replacement of lead pipes, the maximum allowable concentration of lead was reduced from 25 to 10 micrograms per litre in December 2013 just before Irish Water took charge in January 2014 which is why contractors are working on this now. But then, you knew this, didn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I knocked on the door of a house the other day to see if they'd mind turning off their inside stop valve for 2 mins while I done a test at the boundary box / meter that was feeding their house. There was an 8 litre per min constant flow going through said meter.

The door was opened by what I quickly found out to be IW protester who immediately stuck his forehead to mine on the doorstep & marched me backwards outside the boundary wall. he proceeded to tell me he didn't give two fcks about the amount of water that was going through the meter and that if I stepped inside the boundary wall again he'd mangle me that and alot of other obscenities that I couldn't repeat on here.

It's worth noting that it was a local authority house he occupied. 8 litres per min constant flow 24/7. Not to sure how that leak will be repaired now. Waste of time fining or charging that lad too.

Of course you did.

Do me favour and look at the projects section on their site. Then drive to and see the work being carried out on said projects. Lead pipe replacement is not a kicking a can down the road job. You'll see that yourself. There's streets, towns & main roads like that of Craughwell to Loughrea being dug up the length & breath of the country.

Same lead pipes should have been replaced 40 years ago.
    Actually 41 years ago, the allowable concentration of lead allowable in water was 50 micrograms per litre and there was no issues with the level of lead in water.

• Advertisement

Actually 41 years ago, the allowable concentration of lead allowable in water was 50 micrograms per litre and there was no issues with the level of lead in water.

Would you rather they were left in the ground and not replaced so? Might get another 40 years out of them. Don't mind our health, the taste of the water that runs through them. Say nothing bout them being full of holes. Feck it, we'll be grand shure.

Would you rather they were left in the ground and not replaced so? Might get another 40 years out of them. Don't mind our health, the taste of the water that runs through them. Say nothing bout them being full of holes. Feck it, we'll be grand shure.
    You have said that they should have been replaced 40 years ago when they were compliant. That is stupidity. You obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Of course now that there are new regulations in place, they should be complied with.
    By the way, where are the billions to replace all these leaky pipes to come from. And while we are waiting for these billions to be given to Irish Water, what do you suggest we do with the leaky pipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

[/B]

Once again LA's / CC's never ever repaired leaks on private (domestic) property only at the boundary box or on the mains on the public side. Where as IW or the contractors they have subbed in will.

I have seen this with my own eyes. I work in leak investigation / detection & I call to council houses every single day of the week where I identify large scale leaks inside the boundary wall of said properties that have been known about by the CC's for years yet did nothing about. They are being paid to repair the leaks / conserve water yet they didn't. Note I cover 4 counties & it's the same story in each county.

I know engineers working for county councils & they don't have as much as a safe pass to their name. I also know first hand the disgraceful way they spend & waste our tax payers money.

Have you a problem with me being paid to repair leaks / conserve water?

Of course local authorities didn't fix leaks on private properties. It wasn't their job to.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

IW claims it can find out how much the non-metered homes are using by using some machine they have. If this is true, why do they want meters at all? The truth is, if you don't have a meter, IW can't prove you're going over your quota so those with no meters can use what they like - and no fines. IW can spoof all they want, but that's the truth of it.

So, it's the compliant citizens who allowed installations who will have to watch what they use. That's not fair and the people of Ireland simply won't stand for it.

The quota has to apply to all IW users equally or we won't tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Benedict wrote: »
    IW claims it can find out how much the non-metered homes are using by using some machine they have. If this is true, why do they want meters at all? The truth is, if you don't have a meter, IW can't prove you're going over your quota so those with no meters can use what they like - and no fines. IW can spoof all they want, but that's the truth of it.

So, it's the compliant citizens who allowed installations who will have to watch what they use. That's not fair and the people of Ireland simply won't stand for it.

Correct Mr. B, Middle Ireland will not stand for that bulldust.

Either it’s ‘everybody in’ or this rubbish will be kicked out and whatever legislators bring it in will go with it.

This will not fly.....I will be contacting my public reps to let them know.

This looks like a very hasty badly thought-out strategy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Same as the very hasty badly thought out strategy that got us into this mess.

Another of Enda's great legacies..

He really was utterly incompetent in every sense of the word. As a nation we'll be picking up the pieces for many decades to come.

In the words of Conor McGregor 'you'll do nothin'.

IW cannot figure out a fair method for imposing a quota so they've decided to run with an unfair method. This is so dumb it's beyond belief that they actually believe that the people of Ireland will go along with it. They have already admitted, for example, that quotas will not be applied to apartments.

So if you live in an apartment folks (or a house with no meter), the good news is you can have a 30 minute power-shower every morning (and wash the car every evening) with no charge. (And you're family can do the same)

But if you live in a house (with a meter)? That'll cost you 500 a year!

And the Irish people will just suck this up? Yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They have already admitted, for example, that quotas will not be applied to apartments.

Did they say they will never apply to apartments ?

Or did they put some bit of a time scale on it ?

IW cannot figure out a fair method for imposing a quota so they've decided to run with an unfair method. This is so dumb it's beyond belief that they actually believe that the people of Ireland will go along with it. They have already admitted, for example, that quotas will not be applied to apartments.

So if you live in an apartment folks (or a house with no meter), the good news is you can have a 30 minute power-shower every morning (and wash the car every evening) with no charge. (And you're family can do the same)

It is totally unfair. Everyone should be allowed to have a 30 minute shower every morning and wash their car daily and leave taps running. That will show them
    The bigger issue for me is fixing the mains and where the money for this is going to come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In Wicklow they were using over 90% of LPT revenue collected from us to setup and fund IW. They also have all that motor tax, of which i've just paid €1494 which again goes towards the funding of IW. I pay well over 50% of everything i earn in both direct and indirect taxation while getting fluck all in return and paying for all other services separately, and now they think i'm going to pay yet again for what is nothing more then a bloated quango with a history of wasting tax payers money while looking after "their own".

Last time I checked I didn't have gob****e written across my forehead.

I just don't give my cash away that easily to the government or to anyone else. It's too hard earned and so it's never wasted. Why do the government think i'd give it to them to waste ? Not a hope. It's step too far and i'll go to prison for it if necessary.

Eliminate the waste from the public system, stop throwing all our money at the most expensive children's hospital in the world and in the wrong location, stop wasting our money on dodgy contracts, and failed broadband rollouts, stop supporting and protecting those making fraudulent insurance claims, reduce the obscene pensions bill etc etc etc. The list goes on.. Start spending our money wisely so we can see a return on our taxes and then, but only maybe then, we can discuss water charges but for now they are dead in the water and so is any government that tries to introduce them.

Sorry what? You "get fluck all in return"?
    So you dont have electricity or water or gas in your house? Your car doesnt drive on roads? You dont have children or have ever used public facilities like a school or library? Or a hospital? Or the bus?

Perhaps you need to check that forehead again?

No

No

By causing trouble do you mean exercising their lawful right to peaceful protest ?

Yes they will protest.

Look, you choose to be a sucker and pay that's your call.

Many of us see no reason to follow your lead and will stand up and fight this as we did last time.

So you prefer to have *your* income tax paying for other peoples excessive water usage?
    makes sense to me:confused:

New legislation is being brought in which will allow Irish Water to install meters in apartments. Not sure how that works.

Either it’s ‘everybody in’ or this rubbish will be kicked out and whatever legislators bring it in will go with it.

This will not fly.....I will be contacting my public reps to let them know.

In England and Wales, householders are either charged a fixed rate or by volume if a meter has been installed. You can request a meter for free if one is not already installed. Can't see that happening here

In England and Wales, householders are either charged a fixed rate or by volume if a meter has been installed. You can request a meter for free if one is not already installed. Can't see that happening here

Which is how it should work....you get charged a base rate per person in the house, if you think you use more then get a meter to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I knocked on the door of a house the other day to see if they'd mind turning off their inside stop valve for 2 mins while I done a test at the boundary box / meter that was feeding their house. There was an 8 litre per min constant flow going through said meter.

An 8 litre a minute constant flow is a pretty serious leak. That's 11,500 liters a day.
    Not to sure how that leak will be repaired now. Waste of time fining or charging that lad too.

If it was a local authority house like you said they are legally entitled to enter the property, safety of their staff is paramount and if they are met with any physical aggression that person will be removed by the Gardaí.

But if you are telling the thread that you have reported that leak to Irish Water and nothing will be done about it, they are even more useless than I give them credit for.

I imagine a leak of that magnitude would not be internal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

New legislation is being brought in which will allow Irish Water to install meters in apartments. Not sure how that works.

Really? Have you a link for that? Don't see why they would need legislation.

Did the regulator not tell Irish Water to cease metering and make it voluntary as it was costing too much and taking needed revenue away from fixing the actual problems?

Was this ignored?

Boggles wrote: »
    An 8 litre a minute constant flow is a pretty serious leak. That's 11,500 liters a day.

If it was a local authority house like you said they are legally entitled to enter the property, safety of their staff is paramount and if they are met with any physical aggression that person will be removed by the Gardaí.

But if you are telling the thread that you have reported that leak to Irish Water and nothing will be done about it, they are even more useless than I give them credit for.

I imagine a leak of that magnitude would not be internal anyway.

99 per cent sure its inside the boundary wall in the garden somewhere as the listening device did not pick up a high reading at the BB. Irish water will obviously get this leak sorted somehow. I just said I'm not to sure how yet as it's the first time I've ever came across a situation like that.

I think the first fix sheme is a great service. The customers that have leaks on their property do as well. Especially if the leak is near the boundary wall of their houses which a large majority of them are, at the point of entry.

Internal meters can be attached to the mains / pipe that supplies the cold water tap.

Many commercial businesses have internal water meters.

• Advertisement

Just because they're "allowed" to put them into apartments, doesn't mean they will install them? They can't because they can't figure out how to do it!

Don't forget there are many homes which were willing to accept meters but IW eventually got fed up installing them and just decided to stop! These home-owners were out at their front gates saying "Give us a meter" and IW said "Sorry, we're not installing them any more".

IW went home in a sulk. The whole thing is mad!

Advertisement