Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That’s a fancy bus for less than a grand. Am I gone mad or are they basically Mondeos underneath or am I thinking of something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

CoBo55 wrote: »
    AHH jaysus the MX 5 is really done to death at this stage... They're the preserve of rotund baldy aul fellas nowadays. ( I'm a rotund baldy aul fella in case anyone asks)

I don't have and never will have an MX5.
    CoBo

Your description of yourself fits me, especially if you added fat. i have one and love it, getting in and out probably gets a few laughs. Runs like a sewing machine
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Soulsun wrote: »
    Lads seeking to buy a decent reliable runaround budget 1.5 - 2k

Petrol or diesel

Preferably Dublin based seller.

Appreciate the help.

Great thread!

What sort of tax are you willing to pay? What sort of car, a Merc or a Micra? 2 doors or 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

What sort of tax are you willing to pay? What sort of car, a Merc or a Micra? 2 doors or 4?

Willing to pay €600 per year in motor tax.

Yeah 2 doors is fine. Micra no!!!

Reliability and nct is a must.

Soulsun wrote: »
    Willing to pay €600 per year in motor tax.

Yeah 2 doors is fine. Micra no!!!

Reliability and nct is a must.

These are a very good car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-honda/25668782

OGUyYmFlNDc4N2E1ZjI3YjFhMGM1MzQ0ZDViZGZhNzn0J2uwQ-xMW9QJ6gMiSkU8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQwNTQ5Mzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Also available as a more sedate saloon

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/25284707

NzU4NmFmNGY5YTRiN2Q5ZTZmZjMzZGRjNzQwOTMwNWayfxaOsLqAgkbpmwh9RhRcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQ3NjEzNTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-kia-magentis-2litre-diesel/25777147

YjhiZDA3NWQ1ZWJmM2QxOWI2OGE1ZWE0MDUyOTVjM2Ef8A6lpc9sn01YGh3w3j8AaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTUwMDE4ODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2010 Megantis diesel, NCT til October 2021 and apparently extended all the way til February 2022, cheap(ish) tax, 2 owners, €975

This seems like a bit of a bargain if its not in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well, such a car is fantastic. It was reported as the most reliable sports model in the UK recently.

No mention of rust in that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Not allowed any more - pedestrian hazard. My MX5 is definitely a proper MX5 - it says so on the back. It's an ND, and it is red - so definitely a genuine MX5.

In fact a reason why most cars nowadays look the same...
    to comply with ped test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Kilboor wrote: »
    Since we are talking reliability....

Here's a limited edition 2008 1.6 Alfa 147 Collezione for 999 quid

NCT to January and tax to end of the month.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-alfa-romeo-147-nct-01-21-tax-08-20/25777256

147's are becoming thin on the ground now. Nice find at that kind of money. The wheels are not the correct ones for the Collezione though, but they probably decided to maximise the profit potential by swapping them out
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-x-type-sport-2-0d-estate/25727334

Nice looking diesel X type estate, tested til February, wisp of tax, €900

This looks nice and is near me. Tempted

NCT out since Feb this year. Pity, as it looks decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2008 peugeot 407 petrol

995 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21376728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Kilboor wrote: »
    Since we are talking reliability....

Here's a limited edition 2008 1.6 Alfa 147 Collezione for 999 quid

NCT to January and tax to end of the month.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-alfa-romeo-147-nct-01-21-tax-08-20/25777256

So the nice wheels that came with that car have been removed and replaced with some 156 alloys from an older vintage.

But the biggest problem with this car is the tax.

******* €1200 ********

Yep, €1200 a year to tax those. Its one of those cars that once moved to emissions based tax system, cost way more than the cc based system.

As a car, its almost worthless, the 1.6 is a good engine, but there are way nicer cars out there that I would rather spend a €1200 tax bill on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Its 514eur p/a on motortax.ie. Seats in these are lovely and our 1.6 156 was actually reliable. You can get a lemon however - at least its interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Ferris wrote: »
    Its 514eur p/a on motortax.ie. Seats in these are lovely and our 1.6 156 was actually reliable. You can get a lemon however - at least its interesting.

Ah ok, not too bad then.

Just squeezed in before the change.

I had an 04 pre face-lift model. Loved it. Bought it for €350 at the back of a dealership. 100% reliable for the two years I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mini850 wrote: »
    Ah ok, not too bad then.

Just squeezed in before the change.

I had an 04 pre face-lift model. Loved it. Bought it for €350 at the back of a dealership. 100% reliable for the two years I had it.

it was registered after the change but in the first six months so the original owner had the option of choosing CO2 tax or CC tax. naturally they chose the latter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mini850 wrote: »
    But the biggest problem with this car is the tax.

******* €1200 ********

Yep, €1200 a year to tax those. Its one of those cars that once moved to emissions based tax system, cost way more than the cc based system.

As a car, its almost worthless, the 1.6 is a good engine, but there are way nicer cars out there that I would rather spend a €1200 tax bill on.

That is what killed the Mazda RX8. The Wankel engine was classified as very low in CC terms but reclassified at a higher figure, but the CO2 figure killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That is what killed the Mazda RX8. The Wankel engine was classified as very low in CC terms but reclassified at a higher figure, but the CO2 figure killed it.

Was it not taxed as 2.5 from 1.3cc iirc?

I think the complexity and reliability killed it more than the tax itself.

wonski wrote: »
    Was it not taxed as 2.5 from 1.3cc iirc?

I think the complexity and reliability killed it more than the tax itself.

the same bhp as a 2.6 from a 1.3 engine that was taxed at the 1.8L rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

It was taxed as a 1.8. Also my one was the 2nd most reliable car we've owned, after the Alfa 156 :D

The change to emissions based taxation killed off the R3 RX8 model which came out in 2008. I think there was only one registered on the old CC system in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

the same bhp as a 2.6 from a 1.3 engine that was taxed at the 1.8L rate.

I think it was originally taxed as 1.3l (they did not realise how to calculate CC for that engine) but later that was upped to 1.8l, but the CO2 was ridiculous so none were registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭pah

That R3 model is beautiful IMO

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202008011960219?atmobcid=soc3

There are a few 08 plates out there that might qualify for cc tax but super rare

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »
    That R3 model is beautiful IMO

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202008011960219?atmobcid=soc3

There are a few 08 plates out there that might qualify for cc tax but super rare

All 08 imports are based on CO2. Irish registered cars are CO2 if registered after 1st Jul 2008. For RX8, the CO2 rate is based on 299 that is €2,350 per year vs €630 or CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭alias no.9

All 08 imports are based on CO2. Irish registered cars are CO2 if registered after 1st Jul 2008.

Not true, perhaps they should have been, but my wife's last car was an 08 import on CC tax. If it can happen once, there are probably others out there as there was clearly nothing preventing it.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Not true, perhaps they should have been, but my wife's last car was an 08 import on CC tax. If it can happen once, there are probably others out there as there was clearly nothing preventing it.

only if it was imported before the end of june 2008. anything imported that after is on CO2 tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One could still at the time change to the new system if it was a benefit as they let you go back to January.
    Not sure if it would still be allowed now so long on....

only if it was imported before the end of june 2008. anything imported that after is on CO2 tax.

I've pm'd you the reg, you can check it out yourself, 2008 car imported around 2011 IIRC and on cc tax

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I've pm'd you the reg, you can check it out yourself, 2008 car imported around 2011 IIRC and on cc tax

i have no idea how they managed that. truly odd. what is even odder is that engine would be on the 570 annual tax if it was assessed on CO2

i have no idea how they managed that. truly odd. what is even odder is that engine would be on the 570 annual tax if it was assessed on CO2

It would have been on 750, it has an AISIN slush box rather than the PSA ETG gearbox. The difference is so insignificant that it can only have been human error, the point remains that it was possible, and if it was possible, there must be others.

My dad will be needing a motor soon. Was looking hopefully auto and possibly hybrid needs to be 2010 or 2011 for insurance.... I had him on my policy and they fecking remove him. Load of crap.

I know maybe out of bangeromics

Any ideas welcome

My dad will be needing a motor soon. Was looking hopefully auto and possibly hybrid needs to be 2010 or 2011 for insurance.... I had him on my policy and they fecking remove him. Load of crap.

I know maybe out of bangeromics

Any ideas welcome

plenty of 2010 cars in the bangernomics range. any preference for diesel or petrol, manual or automatic, small hatch or saloon?

• Advertisement

plenty of 2010 cars in the bangernomics range. any preference for diesel or petrol, manual or automatic, small hatch or saloon?

Auto would be brilliant, cheap tax is a must, he hates paying for the gubernment;-), diesel or petrol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement