Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

newboard wrote: »
    Are these 2008 models terrible?

No but most would be well used of course now at this stage.

Renault don't hold their value well but are reliable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

newboard wrote: »
    Are these 2008 models terrible?

Not at all, in fact they have become quite popular on the Bangernomics thread here as are generally reliable, cheap to run, cheap to tax etc, but ultimately as with any Bangernomics car, it's still a 12 year old car

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    2004 mercedes c 200 petrol

1200 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21215399
    At 90,000 miles, I'm guessing that will soon need the timing chain job sorted as there is no mention of it in the advert, and you can be sure they would mention it if they'd spent that kind of money on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    At 90,000 miles, I'm guessing that will soon need the timing chain job sorted as there is no mention of it in the advert, and you can be sure they would mention it if they'd spent that kind of money on it :D

If I was looking at mercs in that price bracket I would rather look at clk tbh.

Much better looking car. C coupe or whatever it is called aged badly.

Bear in mind they are not insurer friendly. Tried a quote for 04 Merc last month and got refusals left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

• Advertisement

kalkat2002 wrote: »

I must raise this point again that this car's nct was extended, but could have easily be done in July with all centres operational. Instead the new owner has to book it now and you are really buying a car that has not been tested in at least 12 months. You have to book the test now depending on location.

From bangeromics point of view it would be out of test a month or two ago if it wasn't for covid. And some sellers are taking advantage now.

My personal view, but without new or recent enough test, these cars are not worth it.

True, especially when you try book it in for NCT in it's home town and discover that while it has 3 months NCT remaining, the first available date is the day AFTER the NCT expires in November!

[EDIT]It's sold now anyway :D[/EDIT]

There are cancellations etc available here and there, different centres have slots available just a week or two away, but too much hassle imo.

I want a cheap, road legal car with as little hassle as possible.

Service and the likes are easy to book and complete.

I personally put my previous car through two tests in July so any seller serious about selling could do the same.

Buying a car and having to do nct as one of the first thing to do is a no no for me, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

MjI5NDlkMTZkODg5YWI2MWNiNGU5NmJlNmMwYzVhODZcamkaourOPsEWzx2pVr-aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTM1NTA2NDB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2011 1.5dci Fluence with NCT to next April and tax until the end of the month.

130000 kms

1850 quid

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-renault-fluence-1-5dci/25614714

Not sure on this once, looks a little dirty and the bonnet looks off (or in general poor build quality?) but year and mileage are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

wonski wrote: »

Buying a car and having to do nct as one of the first thing to do is a no no for me, personally.

Yep, never buy a car without NCT as the previous owner knows well it will fail otherwise they would have put it through themselves.

Will fly through NCT, so they say if it will put it through then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭User1998

I must raise this point again that this car's nct was extended, but could have easily be done in July with all centres operational. Instead the new owner has to book it now and you are really buying a car that has not been tested in at least 12 months. You have to book the test now depending on location.

From bangeromics point of view it would be out of test a month or two ago if it wasn't for covid. And some sellers are taking advantage now.

My personal view, but without new or recent enough test, these cars are not worth it.

Well it’s sold already so it must have been worth it to someone ;)

User1998 wrote: »
    Well it’s sold already so it must have been worth it to someone ;)

I am not saying it wasn't worth it.

There are nct delays in some areas and the last thing I or anyone else want to deal with is booking the nct just after buying a car.

It will only get worse in coming weeks when all the extended ones are about to expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭User1998

these cars are not worth it.

:rolleyes:

User1998 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Nice. You are taking it out of context tbh.

Every car is worth something. Happy? Even if you have to book the test now.

And you end up with no nct in no time.

With a little or even tiny window to test it. Not a situation I want to be in just after buying a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

While I acknowledge your point you could look at that another way too. Cars from 4 years to 10 years old are only due a test every 2 years so a car in that age bracket may not have being tested in 21 months yet have up to 6 months test left on it (assuming it was tested before due date). We are all aware that something may well go amiss with a car in that age bracket too in that time frame, arguably no less likely than a car over 10 years old and remember it was not always the case that cars over 10 years old needed to be tested every year.

As I say though I acknowledge your point of view and if a someone is now selling a car with test on it only due to Covid-19 extension that would otherwise be out of test then it can be assumed something isn't right. This "didn't have the time to test it", "could not get a test", "will fly through test" blah blah blah etc. does not wash with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My test extended from July to November, thought id go on line and book it in earlier, next date available 15th November!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

Picked this up for near the banger limit a couple of weeks back. 110,000 miles, two previous owners and a part service history. Pumped a bit of money into her including a major service (6 spark plugs, new discs & pads, new bushing, oil, oil filter, air filter and stabiliser mounting), new Pirelli's all round and an alloy refurb & paint.

Very happy with how she came out and more importantly, how it drives. It's the smoothest and most comfortable car I've owned to date.

I love my is250 bought over 2 years ago for close to banger money also. Yours looks in great nick. My allloys are in poor shape too, great job on them

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My test extended from July to November, thought id go on line and book it in earlier, next date available 15th November!

And who knows if it is extended again then due to another lockdown...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

I’m back on the look out for a banger after a brief stint in a 2010 Avensis.

I know I should go for something sensible Fluence/Laguna 1.5 Or similar as it would make most sense.

I do approx 80km a day to and from work mix of motorway and back roads. Nothing major.

We live down a really small Road about 2k and the surface is bad also need something with a hitch for pulling a trailer tent on occasion or another trailer.

I’m tempted by a 4X4/crewcab for the winter but know it’s madness. Oh I Need back Seats for kids. Has to be reliable. Could go higher Money for the right solution.

Any suggestions or am I looking for the impossible.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I know I should go for something sensible Fluence/Laguna 1.5 Or similar as it would make most sense.

I do approx 80km a day to and from work mix of motorway and back roads. Nothing major.

We live down a really small Road about 2k and the surface is bad also need something with a hitch for pulling a trailer tent on occasion or another trailer.

I’m tempted by a 4X4/crewcab for the winter but know it’s madness. Oh I Need back Seats for kids. Has to be reliable. Could go higher Money for the right solution.

Thanks

No tax, but close option?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-skoda-octavia/24855903?campaign=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

slipperyox wrote: »

That could become my very own high mileage hero

That could become my very own high mileage hero

I wouldn't have balls, but seen one recently with 950k km on one of the YouTube channels.

Is that 1.9 same as the older ones that could go forever?

Thanks

MDYxY2RjZTRjY2M0NTA4YWFjOWZhZDJkYTVjZDBmNDgDbBCnCLjGthGeT5OwLxu4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTMyOTE0ODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A 2005 A6 estate with a **** load of teddy bears? 330k kms with tax until end of January next year and NCT until middle of June next year
    Asking €1500

ZjQ4MjZjYTIxOTc4NDI3ODAyNDNiMzcxYTc1MmE4NWYbrR5TvFEw7AT-lrvmRGAuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTM2MjAwNzl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2008 1.8 Civic with 112k kms. NCT to February (apparently).

1,100 quid

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/25622335

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Kilboor wrote: »
    ZjQ4MjZjYTIxOTc4NDI3ODAyNDNiMzcxYTc1MmE4NWYbrR5TvFEw7AT-lrvmRGAuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTM2MjAwNzl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2008 1.8 Civic with 112k kms. NCT to February (apparently).

1,100 quid

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/25622335

Gone in 4 hours.
    Quickest I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably back up on donedeal later with a bit of a wash for twice the price.

Dirty 2011 renault scenic diesel

1500 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21234177

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2010-1-6-tdi/25618405

MTU2ZWM1OTE0ZTIzZGM2ZTAyM2VhYjBjNGI2Mjc4M2T_CcoWa7zXj7qFdLLuaSXyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTM1ODU4Mjd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2010 Octavia 1.6 TDI with NCT til December 2021 and tax til November this year, €1995

High miles, but still a respectable looking thing for the money.

NDk5ODA3YzkxNjcyZTdiODc2YjQ5YTA5M2YwZWNlMWX6NXDi31mZ5igkqXfNUT8AaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTM3MTM0MjZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2006 1.4 206 with 85k miles.

NCT to February and tax until October.

675 Quid

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-peugeot-206-nct-02-21-amp-tax-85k-miles-from-new/25631416

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement