Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-lexus-is250-v6-auto-nctd-spotless/24275888

Clean lexus for little money, NGK coil packs can be got for €90.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-automatic-4x4-2-0-petrol-nct-tax/24272332

Nice scooby estate

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-2005-nct-10-20-low-miles/24219625

Cheap Saab with long NCT, looks presentable enough. Not sure why it's down as a 2 litre in the ad....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-mazda-5-1-8i-executive-new-nct-01-21/24244074

Clean family bus with long NCT. There has been a large posterior on that drivers seat! Serious wear. Appears to be a church goer too if that's you're thing!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-2006/24208718

Eyes wide open on this trade sale but a low mileage car with 3 months NCT for €500. Woeful spec but would be a grand yoke for a year.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-2-0t-se-180bhp-full-service-history-new-nct/24227132

Lovely Volvo. If you could get a couple of hundred off the asking price it's a fine car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d be skeptical that the Lexus just needs a coil pack. Why doesn’t the seller just put one on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I’d say if that Lexus only needed a coil pack it would be sorted. That’s an age old line

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Too busy trying to sell other cars I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

almostover wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-2005-nct-10-20-low-miles/24219625

Cheap Saab with long NCT, looks presentable enough. Not sure why it's down as a 2 litre in the ad....
    That's because the 1.8t Saab 9-3 is actually a 2 litre engine with a turbo
    The 1.8 is normal 1.8 petrol engine
    No idea how they came up with the naming logic, but hey ho :D

{EDIT}
    On that note, most of you here know we went through a Saab phase in the Mad_mike household last year
    I bought a 1.8 myself as a summer run around, but it's only had about 2,000kms use since I bought it and I have NCT'd it again to August, but it's sitting unused, so I have popped it up for sale or swaps

Usual Bangernomics rates apply if anyone is interested in a cheap car with high mileage! :D

ODE2NGZkNDJiNGE1ODRlNjNiYTRmYzc2NGU0YTJiMDL1lF84IJIeWgamaFQYEu08aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDIzMzc4Njl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

{/EDIT}

• Advertisement

Looks good Mike.

How is the Audi treating you?

Still flying. Love the Audi.
    Had threatened to move it on and try a newer one, but can't bring myself to get rid of it even though it's 2004.

Every time I look at other Avants on Donedeal, there is just nothing like it, so I'll keep driving it for now.
    Passenger door window regulator went recently and have a new one to pop into it, but weather is just horrendous, so I'll attack it once it dries up a bit

They ate fantastic cars, especially in the right spec and with the right engine, like yours. If it comes up for sale I’d be interested in it most definitely :)

They ate fantastic cars, especially in the right spec and with the right engine, like yours. If it comes up for sale I’d be interested in it most definitely :)
    No worries. Will keep you in mind most definitely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-lexus-is250-v6-auto-nctd-spotless/24275888

Clean lexus for little money, NGK coil packs can be got for €90.

That Lexus was forsale up near Roscommon town 3 or 4 months ago by a trader. For around the 2000 to 1500 mark.

No mention of misfiring then but it took an age to sell and just seemed a bit dodgey. I was going to look at it myself but didn't bother in the end.

My guess would be that the original owner ran it low on oil and the chain has stretched. I definitely wouldn't believe the just needs a coilpack line.

• Advertisement

Cover is missing from rear towing eye also. In my experience, that's never a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭secman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d guess you’re looking at the very bottom of the price range.

€6.5k max was the budget so not really.

secman wrote: »
    I was helping my son source a car over the last month, bough aporox 10 car checks to help.
    We were looking for a 11 to 131 csr with approx 100,000 km or less. Only found 2 cars that didn't have odometer discrepancy, most of the cars were red flagged for this., one even had wrong engine id. Most of them also vastly understated the no. of previous owners. Buyer beware never truer !
    I’d guess you’re looking at the very bottom of the price range.

secman wrote: »
    €6.5k max was the budget so not really.

There’s some reason why you’re showing up so many problem cars.
    What models were you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Cover is missing from rear towing eye also. In my experience, that's never a good thing!

No , it’s the front towing eye cover you should worry about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    That's because the 1.8t Saab 9-3 is actually a 2 litre engine with a turbo
    The 1.8 is normal 1.8 petrol engine
    No idea how they came up with the naming logic, but hey ho :D

{EDIT}
    On that note, most of you here know we went through a Saab phase in the Mad_mike household last year
    I bought a 1.8 myself as a summer run around, but it's only had about 2,000kms use since I bought it and I have NCT'd it again to August, but it's sitting unused, so I have popped it up for sale or swaps

Usual Bangernomics rates apply if anyone is interested in a cheap car with high mileage! :D

ODE2NGZkNDJiNGE1ODRlNjNiYTRmYzc2NGU0YTJiMDL1lF84IJIeWgamaFQYEu08aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDIzMzc4Njl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

{/EDIT}
    I had a 1.8t and absolutely loved it. What’s the 1.8 linear like to drive? Does it feel underpowered?

Akrasia wrote: »
    I had a 1.8t and absolutely loved it. What’s the 1.8 linear like to drive? Does it feel underpowered?

I had one for a while. It’s like a 1.6 Avensis. Same screaming revs at motorway speeds too.

We have had a few now
    Started off with the 1.8t for herself and then I bought the 1.8 to try it and she moved to a diesel 150bhp.

It's ok to be fair, not fantastic power, but I knew that buying it anyway. Just wanted to try a Saab myself and picked it up for reasonable money. It will do around 38mpg all day long with motorway driving which I was very impressed with, especially coming from diesel cars for the last 7 or 8 years.

It's 120bhp, compared to around 145bhp for the 1.8t, but I always found the 1.8t underpowered for a turbo car anyway. The fact you can easily get the turbo remapped to up around 200bhp, shows how much Saab de-tuned them initially.

It will never set the world alight with performance, but for a change to a petrol yoke for the summer months and to have something a bit different but with leather, aircon, bluetooth kit etc, it just kinda ticked all the boxes for me :)

I had one for a while. It’s like a 1.6 Avensis. Same screaming revs at motorway speeds too.

Yeah, the fact it's a 5 speed box also doesn't help!!

Back when I was driving one, most petrol cars were 5 speed.

Exactly, I think the 1.8t that herself got was probably one of the first 6 speed petrols I drove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

All the Saab talk reminded me to post an update on my latest bangernomics. After swaying between petrol again or my 1st diesel the Accord has moved on and I'm in a 08 Saab 93 1.9tid. Thanks to CrankHaus for reminding me about the 93s and all the other boardsie comments back in January. Well within Bangernomics budget and 1100 miles later all looks good. While I miss the Accords 2nd gear the 45+ mpg versus 34 mpg helps make up for it :). Joined the Saab Facebook group which is a great resource for advice and parts. Long live Bangernomics.

Best of luck with it. Lovely looking car
    Is it the 120 or 150bhp engine?
    Herself loved hers, but unfortunately it was rear ended after about 4 weeks of ownership and ended up going for an Alfa 159 with the same 150bhp engine
    The Facebook group seems great too. I was in it for a while, but after she moved on the diesel one, I ended up leaving it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

kqcregg wrote: »
    All the Saab talk reminded me to post an update on my latest bangernomics. After swaying between petrol again or my 1st diesel the Accord has moved on and I'm in a 08 Saab 93 1.9tid. Thanks to CrankHaus for reminding me about the 93s and all the other boardsie comments back in January. Well within Bangernomics budget and 1100 miles later all looks good. While I miss the Accords 2nd gear the 45+ mpg versus 34 mpg helps make up for it :). Joined the Saab Facebook group which is a great resource for advice and parts. Long live Bangernomics.

Well wear, this forum always gives fantastic advice on SAAB's.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/523i-automatic-se/24251724

Has some battle scars but it's a six cylinder 5 series with more than 5 months test for less than a grand! If the scrapes are confined to the front and rear bumpers it could be tidied up for small enough money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/523i-automatic-se/24251724

Has some battle scars but it's a six cylinder 5 series with more than 5 mo this test for less than a grand! If the scrapes are confined to the front and rear bumpers it could be tidied up for small enough money.

They're genuinely not worth more than that. Still, lovely car.

I’m looking out for a nice petrol 1.8t Saab 93 for bangernomics price or a little bit more but they’re like hens teeth, was reluctant to go with the diesel but might give them another look based on some of the comments on here.

Anything to look out for mechanically?

Is it missing a satnav or something from the central console?

Is it missing a satnav or something from the central console?

No. 99% of them came like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

My mate sent me this as he's looking for a car. Seems suspiciously cheap to me for a 172 with such low mileage. Imported as well so possibe crash repair.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i20-172-1-2-petrol-23000-mls-must-go/23769596

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement